Lock n Load Board Games in the UK...Where?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

User avatar
JudgeDredd
Posts: 8362
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:28 pm
Location: Scotland

RE: Lock n Load Board Games in the UK...Where?

Post by JudgeDredd »

lol...
 
erm...no excuse sir!
 
Actually, I've been rebuidling my PC (again). Something got porked, so spent last night doing that whilst reading the rules.
 
It's more complex than Memoir '44...I expected that, but not sure my daughter will be! Looks intriguing reading the rules, though. Can't wait. One of the fire fights (the first one) is small (5 units each) and you can use that whilst you go through the rules, so I will probably do that tonight....though I have the gym and Generation Kill to watch...so time is going to be tight!
 
Hopefully, I'll be able to give some deeper info come Sunday
Alba gu' brath
User avatar
JudgeDredd
Posts: 8362
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:28 pm
Location: Scotland

RE: Lock n Load Board Games in the UK...Where?

Post by JudgeDredd »

k
 
Just for you Eddy [:D]
 
Opened it up. Nicely packed with 6 board mounted, folded maps...it appears you are able to use them together to create bigger battlefields.
 
The counters are very, very nice. They pop out of the cardboard holder very easily with no "hanging bits" and actually go back in...so you can store them again. Cards are pretty nice also.
 
I played the first Firefight. It had...
Germans
2xRifle Units
2xMG Units
1xPioneer as reinforcements on turn 3
 
Russians
1xMG Unit
2xRifle units
2xSMG units
2xSMG units as reinforcements on turn 2
 
Fighting over a small map
Play
1. Players roll for initiative - highest roll goes first - each player starts with CAPs (set by scenario) and 7 APs
2. Player with initiative selects a unit (that uses 1 activation). He then continues to move and or shoot until his APs are used. Each unit has different APs for movement/shooting e.g. The Russian MG unit uses 2 APs for movement and 3 APs to fire. Terrain also uses APs e.g. Woods = +1AP...water +4AP
Also, changing facing uses 1AP, but only when changing facing from front to rear and back (front has 3 hexsides and rear has 3)
Dusing this phase of a player, the opponent can, at anytime, open fire. If it does, it is flipped to it's used status and therefore cannot play for that turn again. The problem here is, if it's a German MG unit with 2APs per fire, then it fires once and is used...whereas if you wait until you activate it, it can fire 3 times (1AP to activate + 3x2APs per attack = 7APs)
3. If a unit is hit, the opponent (or you) takes a hit marker which has varying affects on your unit abilities. If it is hit again, it is destroyed. You could possibly also pull a destroyed chit marker, in which case it is destroyed right away. Also, if the roll + attack value is 4 or more than the units defense rating, it is automatically destroyed.
4. When All APs for the selected unit are used, the opponent plays and the turn continues until both players pass.
5. At the end of the turn, if any control markers are held, the side holding those adds a VP to the VP tracker and both players roll for initiative.
 
CAPS are used as "extras". I probably wasn't using them correctly, but the gist is you can use CAPS to "enhance" a unit. For example, a Russian unit with an attack value of 4 is attacking a German unit with an defence value of 12. This means the Russian unit has to roll 8 or higher to hit (rolled 8 + attack value of 4). However, the Russian unit can use up to 2CAPs to enhance the firepower of the unit...this means the Russian unit only has to roll a 6 or higher to hit...much better odds (rolled 6 + 4 attack value + 2CAPs = 12). A roll of 10 or more makes an automatic destroyed unit (10 + 4 + 2 = 16 against a defense rating of 12...16-12 = 4...4 or more = automatic kill).
 
CAPs are for the duration for the turn. In the first firefight, the Russians started out with 7CAPs. So in the example above, that unit using 2 CAPS means there are only 5 left for the duration of the turn, for all units. I think you can also use CAPS to enhance movement...but I have to read more on that.
 
When a unit is hit and draws a chit, the chits have different values which affect various attributes of the unit. For example, Berserk gives a -1 to the cost of firing and a +1 to the attack value, but it's range is dropped to 1, meanwhile pinned means no movement at all but the unit's other attributes are untouched. Suppressed increases the APs to fire and reduces the attack value by 2. Also, each chit has a Rally value of 7 or 8. The player can attempt (when activating the unit) to rally the troops. If the die rolled is equal to or greater than the Rally value on the chit, the unit is rallied and the chit is removed. Rallying costs 5APs. If a unit has a chit marker and is hit again, it is killed.
 
That's it in a nutshell. I liked it very much. Quite fluid. Not "overly" difficult, but moreso than Memoir '44.
 
As is always the way with me, I read the "getting started" bit, then glanced over the rules, then played the first firefight, referring to the manual when I was moving, firing, hitting etc. But there is an awful lot more to the game than that, so I will have to get dirty in the rules.
Alba gu' brath
User avatar
JudgeDredd
Posts: 8362
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:28 pm
Location: Scotland

RE: Lock n Load Board Games in the UK...Where?

Post by JudgeDredd »

Meant to say, when I looked at the first firefight, I thought "Come on!!! 5 units!!", but it played well and there are any number of outcomes from the same map. Also, that first firefight took me over an hour...although I was checking the rules a fair bit.
 
Also, there are quite a few "variations" mentioned for single player...for example, rather than start with 7APs for each side, roll 2 dice and use that figure as the number of APs available. It lends some variation and unpredictability to the scenario.
 
I guess there isn't alot they can do with "pre-bombardment" and hidden units.
Alba gu' brath
User avatar
JudgeDredd
Posts: 8362
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:28 pm
Location: Scotland

RE: Lock n Load Board Games in the UK...Where?

Post by JudgeDredd »

And the rule book is very easy to read, very intuitive and explains the rules very very well.
 
Bit disappointed with the number of firefights in the game (although I knew this prior to buying), so I'll be looking to see if the community gor this is as active as for Memoir '44 where you can get many many different scenarios to download.
 
All in all, a very polished product. [&o]
Alba gu' brath
User avatar
Titanwarrior89
Posts: 3282
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:07 pm
Location: arkansas
Contact:

RE: Lock n Load Board Games in the UK...Where?

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Good read Judge, it answered some questions for me.
ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

k

Just for you Eddy [:D]

Opened it up. Nicely packed with 6 board mounted, folded maps...it appears you are able to use them together to create bigger battlefields.

The counters are very, very nice. They pop out of the cardboard holder very easily with no "hanging bits" and actually go back in...so you can store them again. Cards are pretty nice also.

I played the first Firefight. It had...
Germans
2xRifle Units
2xMG Units
1xPioneer as reinforcements on turn 3

Russians
1xMG Unit
2xRifle units
2xSMG units
2xSMG units as reinforcements on turn 2

Fighting over a small map
Play
1. Players roll for initiative - highest roll goes first - each player starts with CAPs (set by scenario) and 7 APs
2. Player with initiative selects a unit (that uses 1 activation). He then continues to move and or shoot until his APs are used. Each unit has different APs for movement/shooting e.g. The Russian MG unit uses 2 APs for movement and 3 APs to fire. Terrain also uses APs e.g. Woods = +1AP...water +4AP
Also, changing facing uses 1AP, but only when changing facing from front to rear and back (front has 3 hexsides and rear has 3)
Dusing this phase of a player, the opponent can, at anytime, open fire. If it does, it is flipped to it's used status and therefore cannot play for that turn again. The problem here is, if it's a German MG unit with 2APs per fire, then it fires once and is used...whereas if you wait until you activate it, it can fire 3 times (1AP to activate + 3x2APs per attack = 7APs)
3. If a unit is hit, the opponent (or you) takes a hit marker which has varying affects on your unit abilities. If it is hit again, it is destroyed. You could possibly also pull a destroyed chit marker, in which case it is destroyed right away. Also, if the roll + attack value is 4 or more than the units defense rating, it is automatically destroyed.
4. When All APs for the selected unit are used, the opponent plays and the turn continues until both players pass.
5. At the end of the turn, if any control markers are held, the side holding those adds a VP to the VP tracker and both players roll for initiative.

CAPS are used as "extras". I probably wasn't using them correctly, but the gist is you can use CAPS to "enhance" a unit. For example, a Russian unit with an attack value of 4 is attacking a German unit with an defence value of 12. This means the Russian unit has to roll 8 or higher to hit (rolled 8 + attack value of 4). However, the Russian unit can use up to 2CAPs to enhance the firepower of the unit...this means the Russian unit only has to roll a 6 or higher to hit...much better odds (rolled 6 + 4 attack value + 2CAPs = 12). A roll of 10 or more makes an automatic destroyed unit (10 + 4 + 2 = 16 against a defense rating of 12...16-12 = 4...4 or more = automatic kill).

CAPs are for the duration for the turn. In the first firefight, the Russians started out with 7CAPs. So in the example above, that unit using 2 CAPS means there are only 5 left for the duration of the turn, for all units. I think you can also use CAPS to enhance movement...but I have to read more on that.

When a unit is hit and draws a chit, the chits have different values which affect various attributes of the unit. For example, Berserk gives a -1 to the cost of firing and a +1 to the attack value, but it's range is dropped to 1, meanwhile pinned means no movement at all but the unit's other attributes are untouched. Suppressed increases the APs to fire and reduces the attack value by 2. Also, each chit has a Rally value of 7 or 8. The player can attempt (when activating the unit) to rally the troops. If the die rolled is equal to or greater than the Rally value on the chit, the unit is rallied and the chit is removed. Rallying costs 5APs. If a unit has a chit marker and is hit again, it is killed.

That's it in a nutshell. I liked it very much. Quite fluid. Not "overly" difficult, but moreso than Memoir '44.

As is always the way with me, I read the "getting started" bit, then glanced over the rules, then played the first firefight, referring to the manual when I was moving, firing, hitting etc. But there is an awful lot more to the game than that, so I will have to get dirty in the rules.
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
User avatar
sterckxe
Posts: 1897
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:09 am
Location: Flanders
Contact:

RE: Lock n Load Board Games in the UK...Where?

Post by sterckxe »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd
Just for you Eddy [:D]

Thanks man, you know I trust your mini-reviews more than the "offical" ones [;)]

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx
User avatar
JudgeDredd
Posts: 8362
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:28 pm
Location: Scotland

RE: Lock n Load Board Games in the UK...Where?

Post by JudgeDredd »

np Eddy/Titan.

Error on my part reading the rules more last night...activating a unit doesn't use an AP!
Alba gu' brath
User avatar
JudgeDredd
Posts: 8362
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:28 pm
Location: Scotland

RE: Lock n Load Board Games in the UK...Where?

Post by JudgeDredd »

About APs and using them to "enhance" a unit...I used it effectively last night.
 
My Russian MG unit shooting at a German MG unit. German MG unit defence rating 13 (12 natural + 1 for being in light woods). The Russian unit had an attack value of 3, so needed to roll 10 or more for a hit. I used 2 CAPs to enhance the attack value. Rolled a 12, giving me an attack value of 17 (12 rolled + 3 attack value + 2 CAPs). This gave me an overall attack hit of 4 (17 Russian attack - 13 German defence), meaning the unit was hit and because it was by 4 or more, it was automatically destroyed. I was gutted for the Germans.
 
Also, it makes sense to rally troops if you can, because one more hit and they're out. Problem with rallying is it's a 5AP hit...and such a high score to rally (7/8 or more)...so it's a chance you take.
Alba gu' brath
User avatar
Barthheart
Posts: 3080
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:16 pm
Location: Nepean, Ontario

RE: Lock n Load Board Games in the UK...Where?

Post by Barthheart »

Thanks for the quick overview JD. Sounds fun.

Just have to come up with the $100+ to get it here...[X(]
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
User avatar
leastonh1
Posts: 879
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:18 pm
Location: West Yorkshire, England

RE: Lock n Load Board Games in the UK...Where?

Post by leastonh1 »

I was about to buy Arkham Asylum from Gameslore until you posted this thread JD! Now, I'm doing a Mavis. Remember Open all Hours? [:'(]
2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.
Grell
Posts: 1064
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:16 pm
Location: Canada

RE: Lock n Load Board Games in the UK...Where?

Post by Grell »

Thanks for the review JD, I'll have to keep this game in mind.

Regards,

Grell
User avatar
leastonh1
Posts: 879
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:18 pm
Location: West Yorkshire, England

RE: Lock n Load Board Games in the UK...Where?

Post by leastonh1 »

After much dallying, I ended up ordering Commands and Colors: Ancients from Gameslore today. I've wanted to play this for a long time, so Conflict of Heroes is on my list for next time [:)]

Thanks for the review JD, much appreciated. Have you looked on their site yet? They do have extra scenarios and updates available to download, but nowhere near as much content as there is for M44.

Cheers,
Jim
2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.
User avatar
JudgeDredd
Posts: 8362
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:28 pm
Location: Scotland

RE: Lock n Load Board Games in the UK...Where?

Post by JudgeDredd »

Yes I have Jim...a bit disappointing on the Firefight front, but then I bought it knowing the content. I do hope they release more, although the game does seem to have longevity.
 
I hope you're happy with your purchase. Personally I'm not a big fan of ancients, but good luck with it m8
Alba gu' brath
User avatar
PunkReaper
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:27 pm
Location: England

RE: Lock n Load Board Games in the UK...Where?

Post by PunkReaper »


Command and Colors is a great game..... much fun to be had there with plenty of expansions. I've been persuaded to paint some miniatures to play the game using a Kallistra hex table. A good site for CC is http://www.ccancients.net/
User avatar
Adam Parker
Posts: 1848
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2002 8:05 am
Location: Melbourne Australia

RE: Lock n Load Board Games in the UK...Where?

Post by Adam Parker »

ORIGINAL: Jim_H

After much dallying, I ended up ordering Commands and Colors: Ancients from Gameslore today. I've wanted to play this for a long time, so Conflict of Heroes is on my list for next time [:)]

Jim when you get the C&C:A game and you take out the card board game board, don't despair if it's not your cup of tea, as you've got a number of options open to you now!

For a mounted board you can either buy a copy of the Battlelore Epic module which basically comprises a same sized, oriented and scaled map board as C&C:A - very well worth the purchase as it's green and the C&C:A tan/desert terrain titles contrast and fit perfectly with it.

Or you can now go to GMT Games and order a new fully mounted desert colored C&C:A board that comes with expansions 2 and 3.


Image
Attachments
bl_epic_cover.jpg
bl_epic_cover.jpg (49.73 KiB) Viewed 452 times
User avatar
leastonh1
Posts: 879
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:18 pm
Location: West Yorkshire, England

RE: Lock n Load Board Games in the UK...Where?

Post by leastonh1 »

Thanks for the URL Punk Reaper. That site is amazing! [:D]

Adam, the map is about the only consistent criticism mentioned by people in reviews, so thanks for the info. It's good to know I can change it if I'm not happy. I really like ancients, so will almost certainly be buying the expansions for this one too.

I wish the post would hurry up! [:)]
2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.
User avatar
Adam Parker
Posts: 1848
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2002 8:05 am
Location: Melbourne Australia

RE: Lock n Load Board Games in the UK...Where?

Post by Adam Parker »

See what you think of the dice too.

You've likely seen the Consimworld forum for the game. There was some good chatter about that recently. I've never used the dice that came with the game! Instead I opted for a quality set of really nice feeling and looking crimson and gold Chessex D6!
User avatar
PunkReaper
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:27 pm
Location: England

RE: Lock n Load Board Games in the UK...Where?

Post by PunkReaper »

Adam's suggestion of the battlelore board is a good one. I think it was Adam who suggested it to me a while back and I followed his advice and this is the board I now use. Have fun bashing those nasty Carthaginians.
User avatar
leastonh1
Posts: 879
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:18 pm
Location: West Yorkshire, England

RE: Lock n Load Board Games in the UK...Where?

Post by leastonh1 »

It's arrived!!!!!! [:D]

That's a LOT of wooden blocks and stickers! It's going to take a while to put those on. The board is a bit disappointing, considering the quality of everything else in the box. In fact, if they'd made the board out of the same material as the box, it would be perfect. I'm probably going to order the Battlore Epic expansion as it's only £10 here in the UK and Battlelore is a game I'll end up buying anyway.

I've only had a quick look so far, but the dice don't seem too bad really. I saw a link the other day to a game company called Valley Games who produce some nice wooden dice for C&C:A for $7 (http://www.valleygames.ca/games.html#acc).

Right, I'm off to steal my wife's eyebrow tweezers to put the stickers on with! [;)]

Cheers,
Jim
2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.
User avatar
leastonh1
Posts: 879
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:18 pm
Location: West Yorkshire, England

RE: Lock n Load Board Games in the UK...Where?

Post by leastonh1 »

Slight spanner in the works. Sticker sheet three is printed badly and hasn't been punched propery. So, not only are the stickers virtually impossible to remove without tearing them, but the cutouts are a few millimetres into each sticker instead of being on the edge. I've emailed GMT Games to ask if they can replace the sheet as the game isn't playable as it stands. I have never dealt with them before though, so don't know what their service is like.
2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”