Walled in! The inner German border...

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

JWW
Posts: 1694
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Louisiana, USA

RE: Walled in! The inner German border...

Post by JWW »

I spent five years as an American soldier in what was then called West Germany, including some border patrols, 1973-75 and 1985-88.  My last tour ended in 1988, just months before the walls and borders came down.  I remember on one patrol thinking how insane the whole situation was, but I did not think it would end so suddenly and quickly.  My wife and I loved Germany and the German people.  We hope to return one day and visit the reunified Germany.  
benpark
Posts: 3073
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2002 1:48 pm

RE: Walled in! The inner German border...

Post by benpark »

Good stuff, Marc. This will be useful for my trip to Berlin in August.
"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey
User avatar
JudgeDredd
Posts: 8362
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:28 pm
Location: Scotland

RE: Walled in! The inner German border...

Post by JudgeDredd »

ORIGINAL: Doggie

The holocaust never happened. 9/11 was an inside job. Pitiful death camp survivors stole "Palestine" right out from under milliions of Arabs. Canadians are humans. [8|]

How long before the Berlin wall gets the same treatment?
[:-] and [8|]

I think that's classed as a blatant break of Matrix Forum rules Doggie....and you know it. On a thread by an admin too - naughty boy. [:-] I don't suppose you can help it, but still - naughty boy [:'(]
Alba gu' brath
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: Walled in! The inner German border...

Post by DuckofTindalos »

He just hasn't understood that nobody cares about what he has to say...

Same reason why Dennis Miller isn't funny anymore; he's used the same material over and over again for too long.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
String
Posts: 2661
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 7:56 pm
Location: Estonia

RE: Walled in! The inner German border...

Post by String »

ORIGINAL: Zakhal
Both the West and the East had a childs programme called "The Sandman",it was ointeresting to see the difference between the Eastern version and the Western version.Happily a lot of the Border between the "old" East and West has now become a Nature Reserve.
I watched finnish dubed version of the eastern "Sandman" when I was kid:

Image
http://yle.fi/pikkukakkonen/historiikki ... matti.html


Yeah, I used to watch that as a kid as well. Finnish TV was recievable in northern Estonia..
Surface combat TF fanboy
User avatar
andym
Posts: 1117
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:07 pm
Location: Kings Lynn UK
Contact:

RE: Walled in! The inner German border...

Post by andym »

ORIGINAL: benpark

Good stuff, Marc. This will be useful for my trip to Berlin in August.


I beleive that the Border crossing at Helmstedt is now a museum,might be worth a look.And dont forget the one where Checkpoint Charlie was.
Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!
User avatar
Jeffrey H.
Posts: 3154
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:39 pm
Location: San Diego, Ca.

RE: Walled in! The inner German border...

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

He just hasn't understood that nobody cares about what he has to say...

Same reason why Dennis Miller isn't funny anymore; he's used the same material over and over again for too long.


Umm I still think Dennis Millers rants are funny.
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
GaryChildress
Posts: 6933
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: The Divided Nations of Earth

RE: Walled in! The inner German border...

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

ORIGINAL: Terminus

He just hasn't understood that nobody cares about what he has to say...

Same reason why Dennis Miller isn't funny anymore; he's used the same material over and over again for too long.


Umm I still think Dennis Millers rants are funny.

Watching Miller's bits on the O'Reilly show is sort of sad to me. He really looks and sounds like someone whom the parade has passed him by. He just appears to lack confidence and doesn't have that "edge" anymore. I sort of sympathize with him but I wouldn't call him funny. [:(]
Carl Myers
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:04 pm

RE: Walled in! The inner German border...

Post by Carl Myers »

I beleive that the Border crossing at Helmstedt is now a museum,might be worth a look

Where the Autoban entered into East Germany was called Checkpoint Alpha and when that Autobahn entered into Berlin was Checkpoint Bravo. The American duty train from Bremerhaven to Berlin followed this route.
User avatar
Doggie
Posts: 618
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Under the porch
Contact:

RE: Walled in! The inner German border...

Post by Doggie »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd




I think that's classed as a blatant break of Matrix Forum rules Doggie....and you know it. On a thread by an admin too - naughty boy. [:-] I don't suppose you can help it, but still - naughty boy [:'(]




I think that's classed as a blatant break of Matrix Forum rules Doggie....and you know it. On a thread by an admin too - naughty boy. [:-] I don't suppose you can help it, but still - naughty boy [:'(]


Bite me. [8|] Who elected you and the rest of the trolls as moderators? The fact is history has been revised to fit what ever agenda is popular with the college boy crowd.

You and the rest of the dweebs telling me what I can and can't say here is also a violation of forum rules. Rules you only pay attention to when it suits you. You know where you can put your self rightous indignation.

Look who's telling us about how politics are verbotten:
ORIGINAL: Gary the perpetually offended

Watching Miller's bits on the O'Reilly show is sort of sad to me. He really looks and sounds like someone whom the parade has passed him by. He just appears to lack confidence and doesn't have that "edge" anymore. I sort of sympathize with him but I wouldn't call him funny.

But that's different, isn't it? Hush yo mouf, Gary is talking about eeevil right wing fascists? And that Doggie, what a scum bag for breaking our forum rules about calling people names, even if he didn't. Never mind what he did say, we know what he meant to say, right?

As for hijacking Marc's thread, you clowns did that. I just pointed out there are people out there who think the DDR was a good thing, and don't believe stories about mine fields and shoot to kill orders. And I don't recall mentioning anybody by name, except maybe the usual suspects who are always ready to tell us we need to give communism just one more chance.

Now go trash me in "the Thread", like you usually do, you sniveling cry babies.[8|]
GaryChildress
Posts: 6933
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: The Divided Nations of Earth

RE: Walled in! The inner German border...

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: Doggie
ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd




I think that's classed as a blatant break of Matrix Forum rules Doggie....and you know it. On a thread by an admin too - naughty boy. [:-] I don't suppose you can help it, but still - naughty boy [:'(]




I think that's classed as a blatant break of Matrix Forum rules Doggie....and you know it. On a thread by an admin too - naughty boy. [:-] I don't suppose you can help it, but still - naughty boy [:'(]


Bite me. [8|] Who elected you and the rest of the trolls as moderators? The fact is history has been revised to fit what ever agenda is popular with the college boy crowd.

You and the rest of the dweebs telling me what I can and can't say here is also a violation of forum rules. Rules you only pay attention to when it suits you. You know where you can put your self rightous indignation.

Look who's telling us about how politics are verbotten:
ORIGINAL: Gary the perpetually offended

Watching Miller's bits on the O'Reilly show is sort of sad to me. He really looks and sounds like someone whom the parade has passed him by. He just appears to lack confidence and doesn't have that "edge" anymore. I sort of sympathize with him but I wouldn't call him funny.

But that's different, isn't it? Hush yo mouf, Gary is talking about eeevil right wing fascists? And that Doggie, what a scum bag for breaking our forum rules about calling people names, even if he didn't. Never mind what he did say, we know what he meant to say, right?

As for hijacking Marc's thread, you clowns did that. I just pointed out there are people out there who think the DDR was a good thing, and don't believe stories about mine fields and shoot to kill orders. And I don't recall mentioning anybody by name, except maybe the usual suspects who are always ready to tell us we need to give communism just one more chance.

Now go trash me in "the Thread", like you usually do, you sniveling cry babies.[8|]

Give it a rest already. I said nothing about "evil right wing fascists". I said I sympathize with Miller. I really don't care who is what right now. I'll visit the "Drive thru" when I feel like bickering politics.
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: Walled in! The inner German border...

Post by DuckofTindalos »

Come on, Doggie... If you're going to appeal to the next generation of your base (11-toed cousin-marrying banjo players) you should really get some new material. This whole "everyone is out to get me and Terminus is an a..hole" shtick is so old.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
SLAAKMAN
Posts: 2556
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2002 9:50 am
Contact:

RE: Walled in! The inner German border...

Post by SLAAKMAN »

Nie zu vergessen!!;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV-HlBCmnDY
Image

(To qualify Doggie's assertion, I will never let anyone forget the atrocities behind Communism & the Berlin Wall.)

Doggie-
or that 9/11 was an inside job
(I, The Mighty Slaakman will leave this alone for now considering that I am one of those Truthers who actually know this to be correct. Now if you dont mind I'll climb back into my "ship".); [:D]
Image

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill
User avatar
Doggie
Posts: 618
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Under the porch
Contact:

RE: Walled in! The inner German border...

Post by Doggie »

Those of us who lived close enough to the border of the worker's paradise will remember all the people who were allowed to work in the west. As long as family members were still hostage in the east, western money was welcome. No smuggling of decandent western goods, though. Anything bought in the west had to be consumed in the west.

As for the guest workers themselves, some of them were either fiercely loyal to the Honaker regime or pretended to be in case the Stassi were listening.

None of this "shades of grey" nonsense. The east Germans were bad guys and they knew it. The world is full of bad guys. To pretend it isn't is luxury paid for in blood.
User avatar
Sarge
Posts: 2197
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2003 7:46 am
Location: ask doggie

RE: Walled in! The inner German border...

Post by Sarge »

How the hell did Miller ’n O'Reilly get into this thread …………


GaryChildress
Posts: 6933
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: The Divided Nations of Earth

RE: Walled in! The inner German border...

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: Sarge

How the hell did Miller ’n O'Reilly get into this thread …………

The articulated nature of language and ideas maybe? [:o]
User avatar
Sarge
Posts: 2197
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2003 7:46 am
Location: ask doggie

RE: Walled in! The inner German border...

Post by Sarge »

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress
ORIGINAL: Sarge

How the hell did Miller ’n O'Reilly get into this thread …………

The articulated nature of language and ideas maybe? [:o]

I’m sure everyone that WAS enjoying this thread appreciate your "articulated nature of language and ideas'' .



GaryChildress
Posts: 6933
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: The Divided Nations of Earth

RE: Walled in! The inner German border...

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: Sarge
ORIGINAL: Gary Childress
ORIGINAL: Sarge

How the hell did Miller ’n O'Reilly get into this thread …………

The articulated nature of language and ideas maybe? [:o]

I’m sure everyone that WAS enjoying this thread appreciate your "articulated nature of language and ideas'' .

I was sort of enjoying this thread until the "intellectual left" got dragged into it. Does that count?
User avatar
pasternakski
Posts: 5567
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 7:42 pm

RE: Walled in! The inner German border...

Post by pasternakski »

It's really too bad that a moderator can't start a simple little thread recommending a documentary that he thinks forum visitors might enjoy and learn from without it turning into ... all this.

I remember thinking when I read Marc's post, "Uh oh," but I was hoping maybe we had gotten over that kind of thing.

Oh, well. Stupid me.
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
User avatar
JudgeDredd
Posts: 8362
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:28 pm
Location: Scotland

RE: Walled in! The inner German border...

Post by JudgeDredd »

A few "corrections" to you reposte...?

I'd rather not "bite" you...I doubt I could stomach the taste.

No-one elected me and I wasn't trolling. I simply pointed out the error of your ways - as well you would've done had I posted something to your dislike (and most probably have in the past should I care to dig!)

I am not trolling. I had made a perfectly proper and valid reposte to the thread...very much unlike yourself! Unfortunately it looks like it will be cut short like so many threads by your obvious, right wing political agenda....again. You really should try voting. It might help to make you feel "less useless" and give your life some sort of meaning. I'm not suggesting your life has no meaning - simply that your posts quite often show that "character" trait...and I am applying the word "character" very, very liberally there!

As for your initial post in this thread - what was the point of that? Who exactly is the troll here?

The fact that history has been "revised" by the "college boy crowd" is not Matrix doing - nor is it mine. Nor has it been helped to be that way by Matrix or me. But it seems you are still compelled to spill your right wing crap on any posts that offers an opporunity!

I resent the "dweebs" allegation. I don't suppose that bothers you, and I doubt, looking at your previous history on these boards that it will affect a ban, even though it's a "personal attack" - but seriously - like I'm bothered!
I resent the "clowns" allegation. I don't suppose that bothers you, and I doubt, looking at your previous history on these boards that it will affect a ban, even though it's a "personal attack" - but seriously - like I'm bothered!

I expect you'll continue to spread your right wing crap across Matrix forums. It does seem like you've been given a free hand to do so. Don't let my "middle ground" post stop your fascist posts - you carry on - I'll "take the hit" for the team. [:'(]

And where there's one, there's the other!! [:D]. Kind of like turning the light off in a New York flat!
Alba gu' brath
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”