You will love this game

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises
User avatar
siRkid
Posts: 4177
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Orland FL

Post by siRkid »

Originally posted by HMSWarspite
9 ground troops lost? In a division sized combat?
What came over the Japs? I hope the game doesn't do that too often!
I've seen this happen once before and I have reported it. However, I do not know the condition the Japs were in. Two of my units were fatigued and disrupted from the long march but I had landed a fresh unit for the assault. My men were in supply and I had been bombing the Japs for weeks prior to my assault. Still for a WWII engagement I should have lost more than 9 men.

Rick
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

Image
User avatar
Crocky
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Christchurch New Zealand
Contact:

Post by Crocky »

Ok enough is enough Ground forces attack at Gasmata disposing of the impudent thrust toward Rabual. Carriers sortie into the area around Lae and bombardment TFs head toward Lae and Finschafen ....The carrier bear immediate fruit a fast Transport group presumably headin g toward Lae is found and disposed of...2 DD & 3 APDs gone this is immediate revenge for the loss of my roops in Lae......

Lae is bombarded from sea and seems to sufer serious damage to its Level 4 airfield

The cruiser Canberra and its destroyers escourts make a valiant attempt to engage my carrier TF in a surface action by my wise Admiral manages to side step the blow and the Canberra and a destroyer are sunk the next morning.

Invasion Tf is aproaching and begins landing at Finshafen light opposition so far I think I may have caught him by surprise.

So far most of my fleet is intact but the Allies have lost Lexington and Yorktown to the light carrier Shoho. I wont say to much more about damage etc because my estemed opponent may be listening but ......he should already know about the Hiryu :( she took 3 x 1000 pdrs in the action against the Yorktown and was dispatched back to Truk...unfortunately damaged as she was she couldnt avoid a spread of torpedoes from a US sub just of Truk and took 2 hits ....I think the old girls in for a lengthy dry dock spell just dispatched to Japan for repairs...250 days before she is availible again...there you go Rick some intelligence for you

;)
Mike Blair CROCKY
User avatar
siRkid
Posts: 4177
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Orland FL

Post by siRkid »

Originally posted by Crocky
Invasion Tf is aproaching and begins landing at Finshafen light opposition so far I think I may have caught him by surprise.

So far most of my fleet is intact but the Allies have lost Lexington and Yorktown to the light carrier Shoho. I wont say to much more about damage etc because my estemed opponent may be listening but ......he should already know about the Hiryu :( she took 3 x 1000 pdrs in the action against the Yorktown and was dispatched back to Truk...unfortunately damaged as she was she couldnt avoid a spread of torpedoes from a US sub just of Truk and took 2 hits ....I think the old girls in for a lengthy dry dock spell just dispatched to Japan for repairs...250 days before she is availible again...there you go Rick some intelligence for you

;)
Yes I was caught sleeping off my victory celebration. Thanks for the intel I saw my sub fire but no hits were reported.
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

Image
User avatar
Crocky
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Christchurch New Zealand
Contact:

Post by Crocky »

Really now you wouldnt be kidding me would ...well I suppose the sub went deep to avoid the depth charges thrown at it by the glorious Imperial Navy :)
Mike Blair CROCKY
User avatar
siRkid
Posts: 4177
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Orland FL

NEWS FLASH Major Action in the Sout Pacific

Post by siRkid »

Japs re-take Finschafen in a well planed counterattack.
Allied forces run down and wipe out the remnants of the Lae garrison (500+) and capture Hopei.
Jap bombardment fleets devastate Lae and Buna during the night. High loses of men, planes and materials.

The invasion of Guadalcanal is underway. Several large convoys, lead by mine sweepers, are approaching the Island . One TF was mauled by a Jap carrier group but is pressing on to the objective.


US carrier TF sweeps into the area after a prolonged absent and scores several his on some CAs. We have lost radio contact with the carrier group but unconfirmed reports say that the Akagi has been sunk. This is a major moral booster to allied forces. :D
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

Image
User avatar
Crocky
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Christchurch New Zealand
Contact:

Post by Crocky »

Oops spoke to soon .....Akagi sortied into the Coral Sea found and disposed of several AOs (you must be running short of those by now Rick)....while returning discovered several TFs steaming for Guadalcanel she immediately turned to intercept unfortunately 3-4 waves of carrier based planes found her and caused some damage....:(

Unfortunately my recon did not spot the Allied TFs heading towards Guadalcanel so its all hands on deck hunker down you boys in Lunga theres a storm heading your way.
Mike Blair CROCKY
User avatar
Admiral Scott
Posts: 707
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Syracuse, NY USA

Post by Admiral Scott »

Now that you guys have been playing the game a while, do you feel both sides have an equal chance at winning? Or does one side have the advantage?
User avatar
siRkid
Posts: 4177
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Orland FL

Post by siRkid »

Originally posted by Admiral Scott
Now that you guys have been playing the game a while, do you feel both sides have an equal chance at winning? Or does one side have the advantage?
I purposefully have not played as the Japs in any of the games I've played because I do not want to know too much. As the Allies, I can tell you that I never have felt that the game was in the bag. Today, as I watched my AOs get pounded, I was shouting so loud my kid came to check on me. The game we are playing is not historical. Midway never happened so the Japs have those 4 carriers. It evens thing out quite a bit. I also have to mentions (Crocky turn you head) supplies and base, airfield and port sizes are critical. I overextended myself in New Guinea and my advance has come to a grinding halt. In fact I have lost ground. I had to quickly move the 7th Division out of Gilli Gilli because they were consuming the supplies faster than I could get them there. Crocky played no small part in this.

The one big advantage I have is numbers. I am losing about 2.3:1 and I am not too concerned. I take a lot of chances because of this. I would suspect that the Japs have to be a little more cautious.
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

Image
User avatar
siRkid
Posts: 4177
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Orland FL

Post by siRkid »

Major engagement at Guadalcanal. US Navy force way through minefields. Several ships damaged or sunk. Army troops pouring ashore. Marine Raiders land at Tulagi. Surface combat at Lunga. Five Jap carriers reported in the area. Waves of carrier based aircraft maul allied armada. Eleven ships reported sunk many more damaged. Jap airfield pounded to dust. Will the carriers duke it out tomorrow? Will the marines take Tulagi? Will the rest of the men and supplies make it ashore?

Most action in any one turn so far.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 07/20/42

Sub attack near Tenmarou at 53,54

Japanese Ships
SS I-2

Allied Ships
SC 646, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF at 34,36

Japanese aircraft
A6M2-N Rufe x 2

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 17
SBD Dauntless x 40


Allied aircraft losses
SBD Dauntless x 1 destroyed
SBD Dauntless x 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
CA Maya, Bomb hits 2, on fire
CL Tatsuta
DD Makinami
PC Ch 11


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF at 34,36

Japanese aircraft
A6M2-N Rufe x 1

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 11
SBD Dauntless x 24

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2-N Rufe x 1 destroyed


LTJG R.Shannon of VF-6 is credited with kill number 2

Japanese Ships
CA Maya, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
PC Ch 17, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
CL Tatsuta


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Taivu at 39,40

Japanese aircraft
D3A Val x 21

Japanese aircraft losses
D3A Val x 2 damaged

Allied Ships
AK Fomalhaut, Bomb hits 1
AK Mercury, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD Gridley
DD McCall, Bomb hits 1
MSW Wollongong, Bomb hits 5, on fire, heavy damage


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Finschhafen at 11,33

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 34

Allied aircraft
P-40E Kittyhawk x 7
B-25D Mitchell x 7


Allied aircraft losses
B-25D Mitchell x 2 damaged

Japanese Ships
CL Sendai
ML Takashima

Attacking Level Bombers:
3 x B-25D Mitchell at 5000 feet
4 x B-25D Mitchell at 5000 feet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Taivu at 39,40

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty x 1 destroyed
G4M1 Betty x 7 damaged

Allied Ships
DD Perkins, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Wilkes, Torpedo hits 1, on fire

Attacking Level Bombers:
4 x G4M1 Betty at 200 feet
3 x G4M1 Betty at 200 feet
1 x G4M1 Betty at 200 feet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Taivu at 39,40

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 24

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty x 12 damaged

Allied Ships
AK Mercury, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
DD Gridley
AK Fomalhaut, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Attacking Level Bombers:
4 x G4M1 Betty at 200 feet
4 x G4M1 Betty at 200 feet
4 x G4M1 Betty at 200 feet
3 x G4M1 Betty at 200 feet
1 x G4M1 Betty at 200 feet
4 x G4M1 Betty at 200 feet
4 x G4M1 Betty at 200 feet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Taivu at 39,40

Japanese aircraft
D3A Val x 17


Allied Ships
AK Rhesus
AK Barwon, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AK Adelong, Bomb hits 2, on fire
MSW Lismore
AK Alchiba


Allied ground losses:
Men lost 10


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Port Moresby at 10,40

Japanese Ships
SS I-159

Allied Ships
AP George F. Elliot, Torpedo hits 1, on fire


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Finschhafen

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 6531 troops, 81 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 1683 troops, 24 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 8 to 1 (fort level 0)


Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 34

Allied ground losses:
Men lost 139


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naval bombardment of Lunga, at 38,40

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero x 3 destroyed
A6M2 Zero x 8 damaged
D3A Val x 4 destroyed
D3A Val x 7 damaged

Allied Ships
DD Stockton, Shell hits 1

Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 61

Airbase hits 22
Airbase supply hits 7
Runway hits 118


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on Lunga , at 38,40

Japanese aircraft

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 42

Japanese aircraft losses
D3A Val x 1 destroyed
A6M2-N Rufe x 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress x 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 24

Airbase hits 1
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 14

Attacking Level Bombers:
3 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress at 20000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress at 20000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress at 20000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress at 20000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress at 6000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress at 20000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress at 20000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress at 20000 feet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Taivu at 39,40

Japanese aircraft
B5N Kate x 12

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N Kate x 2 destroyed
B5N Kate x 7 damaged

Allied Ships
AP Largs Bay
AP Harris
MSW Ballarat, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Taivu at 39,40

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 16
D3A Val x 22
B5N Kate x 18


Allied Ships
AK Adhara, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AK Neleus, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage


Allied ground losses:
Men lost 46


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Lunga at 38,40

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 8

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 33
SBD Dauntless x 9
TBD Devastator x 14


Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat x 1 destroyed
F4F-4 Wildcat x 1 damaged
TBD Devastator x 4 damaged

Japanese Ships
DD Kazegumo, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AP Nana Maru, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
MSW W20, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Taivu at 39,40

Japanese aircraft
D3A Val x 18

Japanese aircraft losses
D3A Val x 2 damaged

Allied Ships
AO Neosho, Bomb hits 1
SC 517, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AO Tallulah, Bomb hits 1


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Lunga at 38,40

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 18
D3A Val x 19
B5N Kate x 22

Japanese aircraft losses
D3A Val x 2 destroyed
D3A Val x 4 damaged
B5N Kate x 3 destroyed
B5N Kate x 14 damaged

Allied Ships
CA Salt Lake City
DD Monssen
CA Indianapolis, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
DD Morris
CA Northampton, Bomb hits 1
CA San Francisco, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD Blue


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Time Surface Combat, near Lunga at 38,40

Japanese Ships
DD Kazegumo, on fire, heavy damage
MSW W20, Shell hits 2, and is sunk
AP Nana Maru, Shell hits 18, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
CA Indianapolis, on fire
CA Northampton, on fire
CA Salt Lake City
CA San Francisco, on fire
CL St. Louis
DD Monssen
DD Stockton
DD Hammann
DD Morris
DD Blue
DD Preston
DD Phelps
DD Farragut
DD MacDonough


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naval bombardment of Lunga, at 38,40

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
D3A Val x 1 destroyed
D3A Val x 10 damaged
A6M2 Zero x 1 destroyed
A6M2 Zero x 1 damaged

Allied Ships
DD Phelps, Shell hits 2

Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 261

Airbase hits 11
Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 184


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

Image
User avatar
Crocky
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Christchurch New Zealand
Contact:

Post by Crocky »

**** this ......Im sitting at work reading this and its still another 2 hours before I get home to run the next turn ...what did you only count 5 carriers Rick..... OK my 5 vs your 3 should be interesting :)

great turn plenty of action now if I can get my cruisers in amongst the invasion fleet I could do some damage.

Minesweepers lead the Allied invasion fleet clearing mines but they missed some at least 2 DDs and 3 transports hit mines doing some damage.....luckily my carriers obeyed instructions and didnt go chasing the enemy carriers this time but next turn now that most of the transports are empty it may be a different story

The idea being stand off and sink his AKs & APs full of ground units and supplies
Mike Blair CROCKY
User avatar
Crocky
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Christchurch New Zealand
Contact:

Post by Crocky »

Tulagi Falls

Us Forces stormed Tulagi this morning and captured the port and facilities ...Ground forces of the imperial army fought heroically but succumed to vastly superior numbers...

The enemy however was made to pay dearly in a surface action near Lunga and the Air Force continued to take a toll on US transports and DDs manyrepeat many Allied ships now lie rusting on the ocean bottom
Mike Blair CROCKY
User avatar
siRkid
Posts: 4177
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Orland FL

Post by siRkid »

I can not even bring myself to describe what happened. For 30 min I watched the Japs send my ships to the bottom. I lost over 20 ships that turn. Mostly transports and mine sweepers but 3 or 4 CAs as well. The marines are on the ground but can they be resupplied? The marines are asking "Where the hell were the American Carriers?" In the real war the US pull the carrier support out but the Japs did not take advantage. I now know what would have happened if the Japs had of been more like Crocky. :(
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

Image
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

what date

Post by mogami »

Hi guys, Whats the date in your war currently?
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
User avatar
Crocky
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Christchurch New Zealand
Contact:

Post by Crocky »

Major Carrier Battle!!!!!!!!!

The date is 28 July 1942 and American and Japanese carriers tangled off Gudalcanal..............Initial reports indicate 4 US Fleet Carriers

But I will let Rick have a look at his turn first before we post more.
Mike Blair CROCKY
User avatar
siRkid
Posts: 4177
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Orland FL

Post by siRkid »

Where were the American carriers? They were to the SE forming up into one fleet. This left my transports at the mercy of the Japs but I figured they would lose some planes to flak and operational loses and improve my chances next turn. I will admit I did not count on losing 20+ ships. The next turn was gut wrenching. If I failed, I might have lost the game.

I moved the Carriers in range and set their orders to react. The battle lasted 30+ min and I have no finger nails left. My reports show that the Junyo took 3 1000lb bombs one touched of the ammo storage, Ryujo took 2 hit and the Zuikaka 3. I can only hope they are hurt badly enough to put them out of play for a long while. Sad to say but the Wasp took a torpedo. This victory should put the game back in balance.

Admiral Kid will not be court marshaled now.:)
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

Image
User avatar
siRkid
Posts: 4177
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Orland FL

Post by siRkid »

Things have quited down a bit now that both or fleets have been mauled. The battle for Lunga has started and so far the Japs still have the airfield. Now its a matter of supplies, subs and mines.
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

Image
User avatar
Crocky
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Christchurch New Zealand
Contact:

Post by Crocky »

After 8 days of continuous Bombardment from B17 and and carrier TFs Lunga finally falls to the Marines........Rick is now in an interesting position..... his losses in transport vessels seem to be rather high if we continue to target them we may cause him massive supply problems while our supply lines are shortened considerably
Mike Blair CROCKY
User avatar
siRkid
Posts: 4177
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Orland FL

Post by siRkid »

Yes Lunga is in US hands and severl aircraft SQs have been moved there. Supplies are low and the island is still ringed with mines. I am almost out of mine sweepers. I'm not sure what I will do when they are all lost. I made a big mistake during my invasion. Thinking that the computer managed strikes would go after the larger convoys, I split all my mine sweepers off as single unit TFs. Will it did not work the carriers sent just enough planes to sink the unguarded units. Now I'm up the creek .
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

Image
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

So soon

Post by mogami »

And all this action before August I am amazed. Both Japanese and US planners did not feel the US could undertake any offensive action before Oct 42. It was Adm King who insisted an attack be made on Guadalcanal before the airfield was ready. The original idea was to merely build up Santa Cruz. But he wanted to exploit Midway as soon as possible so 'Operation Shoestring' was born.
I don't wonder at the heavy US losses, in this campaign but I do marvel at your being able to capture Lunga. I think that may turn out to have been the 'easy' part.
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
User avatar
siRkid
Posts: 4177
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Orland FL

Post by siRkid »

Well I am a very agressive player and short sighted. We have a long way to go and your right, the easy part is over with. I will most likly spend the next few months just trying to hold onto what I have. I would give a BB for 12 good mine sweepers.
Rick
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

Image
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”