What are you reading?
Moderator: maddog986
I did just finished Jeffrey Deavers Bone Collector and now im thinking to read Anthony Beevors Stalingrad again, which is excellent book for all those who are interested one of the greates battle, The Stalingrad!
"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone
-
Supervisor
- Posts: 5160
- Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:00 am
Just completed a bookstore run.
Hidden Horrors, Japanese War Crimes in World War ll, Tanaka (thanks tohoku:D )
Afternoon of the Rising Sun, The Battle for Leyte Gulf, Friedman
Black May, Gannon. This one is about US anti U-boat war in the Atlantic in '43
Hidden Horrors, Japanese War Crimes in World War ll, Tanaka (thanks tohoku:D )
Afternoon of the Rising Sun, The Battle for Leyte Gulf, Friedman
Black May, Gannon. This one is about US anti U-boat war in the Atlantic in '43
If something's not working you might want to tunk it a dite.
Mojo's Mom
Mojo's Mom
Latest Books
Just finished up "The 88 - the Flak/Pak 8.8cm" by Chris Ellis
Just started "Battles Lost & Won - Great Campaigns of World WarII" by Hanson W Baldwin
and
"Dirty Little Secrets of World War II" by James F Dunnigan and Albert A Nofi.
By the way a great place to find really cheap books in great condition is Amazon.com. Just find the title you want go in and do a search and find it. Look and see if they have anyone selling a used version and check to see how much they want for it and what kind of condition it is in. I have gotten books that are virtually brand new which normally sell for $30-35 for only $8-9 plus $3 shipping ! I have found lots of unbelieveable deals there.
Just started "Battles Lost & Won - Great Campaigns of World WarII" by Hanson W Baldwin
and
"Dirty Little Secrets of World War II" by James F Dunnigan and Albert A Nofi.
By the way a great place to find really cheap books in great condition is Amazon.com. Just find the title you want go in and do a search and find it. Look and see if they have anyone selling a used version and check to see how much they want for it and what kind of condition it is in. I have gotten books that are virtually brand new which normally sell for $30-35 for only $8-9 plus $3 shipping ! I have found lots of unbelieveable deals there.

I just finished "The rise and fall of the third reich" (Part II) by William Shirer. I think it provides an excellent overall look at WW2 on the German side 
Next up is Hans Herlin's "Verdammter Atlantik" (I would translate it to "Cursed Atlantic") a few stories about German submarines.
Next up is Hans Herlin's "Verdammter Atlantik" (I would translate it to "Cursed Atlantic") a few stories about German submarines.
If you're ever having an argument with an idiot make sure he isn't.
This weekend I picked up:
Defeat into Victory, Battling Japan in Burma and India, 1942-1945 by Field Marshal Viscount Slim. A refreshing book. Slim is very honest about the mistakes he made. I'm going to have to reread it when I can get my hands on a good, large scale map of the area so I can follow the battles better.
Defeat into Victory, Battling Japan in Burma and India, 1942-1945 by Field Marshal Viscount Slim. A refreshing book. Slim is very honest about the mistakes he made. I'm going to have to reread it when I can get my hands on a good, large scale map of the area so I can follow the battles better.
If something's not working you might want to tunk it a dite.
Mojo's Mom
Mojo's Mom
- Muzrub
- Posts: 717
- Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2001 10:00 am
- Location: Australia, Queensland, Gold coast
- Contact:
Just bought Antony Beevor's "Berlin"- just finished Alan Clark's "The fall of crete".....
But after Beevors book I might have a change- The last horror book I read was "I am Legend" and I was wondering if anyone knew of another classic or a new Horror book that would get the goose pimples going (Does anyone know of any Zombie books?- based on George Romero classic Zombie type).
Thanks guys
Muzrub!

But after Beevors book I might have a change- The last horror book I read was "I am Legend" and I was wondering if anyone knew of another classic or a new Horror book that would get the goose pimples going (Does anyone know of any Zombie books?- based on George Romero classic Zombie type).
Thanks guys
Muzrub!
Harmlessly passing your time in the grassland away;
Only dimly aware of a certain unease in the air.
You better watch out,
There may be dogs about
I've looked over Iraq, and i have seen
Things are not what they seem.
Matrix Axis of Evil
Only dimly aware of a certain unease in the air.
You better watch out,
There may be dogs about
I've looked over Iraq, and i have seen
Things are not what they seem.
Matrix Axis of Evil
- New York Jets
- Posts: 628
- Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2001 8:00 am
- Location: St. Louis, MO but stuck in Bremerton,WA
Currently Reading
I am presently reading "The Secret War Against The Jews" by John Loftus and Mike Aarons. It's a chronicle collected from interviews with espionage operatives from all the world over the last 60 or so years and tells of the betrayal of America, its foreign policy and our "support" for Israel by the likes of The Dulles', The Rockefellers, and other Oil Barons in the name of money. Small things like selling oil to Nazi Germany all throughout WWII and extorting money from the US by threateneing to cut off Arabian oil if the US Govcernment did not dance to their tune. Furtrher, how we have allowed ourselves to become tools of the Saudis and their interests in the name of oil. That's just a brief outline as I have not yet completed the reading.
"There comes a time in every man's life, and I've had plenty of 'em."
- Casey Stengel -
- Casey Stengel -
Oh, I love these kind of threads - always pick up a couple of new titles in them.
As far as history goes, I recently finished "The Rising Sun" by John Toland . Wish I'd read it years ago - an excellent insight into the war with Japan. (I can see why it won the Pulitzer.)
I also recently finished the first volume of the new Hitler biography - Hubris - and started on the second volume - Nemesis. I can't remember the author right now, but it's a good read.
I just read a divisional history of the Totenkopft division called "Soldiers of Destruction" - interesting, but it won't win any awards.
I read a great book on the Spanish Armada by Garret Mattingly called "The Armada" - fascinating.
And I've been reading all the great first-person accounts of Russian soldiers that I found here:http://www.battlefield.ru/index.html
Non-history, I just finished a couple of crime novels by Jim Thompson - creepy stuff - and I'm bouncing between "Multiple Regression - testing and interpretting interactions" and "Models for Discrete Data" - kinda geeky, but it helps with my job and I find the math puzzles strangely soothing at times.
(I know I can't spell....)
As far as history goes, I recently finished "The Rising Sun" by John Toland . Wish I'd read it years ago - an excellent insight into the war with Japan. (I can see why it won the Pulitzer.)
I also recently finished the first volume of the new Hitler biography - Hubris - and started on the second volume - Nemesis. I can't remember the author right now, but it's a good read.
I just read a divisional history of the Totenkopft division called "Soldiers of Destruction" - interesting, but it won't win any awards.
I read a great book on the Spanish Armada by Garret Mattingly called "The Armada" - fascinating.
And I've been reading all the great first-person accounts of Russian soldiers that I found here:http://www.battlefield.ru/index.html
Non-history, I just finished a couple of crime novels by Jim Thompson - creepy stuff - and I'm bouncing between "Multiple Regression - testing and interpretting interactions" and "Models for Discrete Data" - kinda geeky, but it helps with my job and I find the math puzzles strangely soothing at times.
(I know I can't spell....)
fud,
The reason I started this thread was to ferret out good books to read. My reading list is huge.
That website is great. I stumbled across it a couple of months ago. I was looking for pictures of killed tanks or something. The first hand stories are amazing.
If you're reading "Multiple Regression - testing and interpretting interactions" and "Models for Discrete Data" and can understand them, (obviously you can) then you don't need to worry about spelling.
I'm still struggling with "James can mow a acre of grass in 3 hours, Molly the cow can eat a bushel or corn in 20 minutes, how long will it take for the train to get to Dallas" problems.
The answer of course is "Who cares, I'll fly"
That website is great. I stumbled across it a couple of months ago. I was looking for pictures of killed tanks or something. The first hand stories are amazing.
If you're reading "Multiple Regression - testing and interpretting interactions" and "Models for Discrete Data" and can understand them, (obviously you can) then you don't need to worry about spelling.
I'm still struggling with "James can mow a acre of grass in 3 hours, Molly the cow can eat a bushel or corn in 20 minutes, how long will it take for the train to get to Dallas" problems.
The answer of course is "Who cares, I'll fly"
If something's not working you might want to tunk it a dite.
Mojo's Mom
Mojo's Mom
Hey Mojo,
Thanks for the reply - you made me grin. I think the more you 'understand' that stuff the more you realize that it really can be pretty silly. I mean, there is not much more abstract than a number/statistic/equation!
Thanks for starting the thread - I'll be keeping an eye out for more things to add to my reading list.
fud
Thanks for the reply - you made me grin. I think the more you 'understand' that stuff the more you realize that it really can be pretty silly. I mean, there is not much more abstract than a number/statistic/equation!
Thanks for starting the thread - I'll be keeping an eye out for more things to add to my reading list.
fud
-
OberstCrow
- Posts: 14
- Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2002 12:23 am
Be sure to catch "Infantry Aces" by Franz Kurowski. I can't seem to finish a chapter without the urge to fire up Lost Victories again. He has another out called "Panzer Aces" but I haven't read that one yet. These books are written at the extreme tactical level with accounts of various Knight's Cross winners from Poland to late war. Very, very detailed.

Jim1954
KMC/T
Hell's Gate by Douglas E. Nash, a great account about the battle of Cherkassy, February 1944 at the Eastern Front. One of the best books on this subject I've ever read. I can recommend it to everyone.
It Never Snows In September by Robert J. Kershaw. Operation Market Garden from the German point of view. Arnhem-Nijmegen, it even beats A Bridge Too Far from Cornelias Ryan. Another great book which I can heartily recommend.
It Never Snows In September by Robert J. Kershaw. Operation Market Garden from the German point of view. Arnhem-Nijmegen, it even beats A Bridge Too Far from Cornelias Ryan. Another great book which I can heartily recommend.
I just finished rereading Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy. I love that book.
"History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave."
-Edmund Morris

[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/kenkbar ... tual-b-o-b
-Edmund Morris

[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/kenkbar ... tual-b-o-b



