Question on the price

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

lecrop
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:49 pm

RE: Question on the price

Post by lecrop »

In my opinion WitP-AE is the cheapest game I've ever bought.
User avatar
DarenDF
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:01 pm

RE: Question on the price

Post by DarenDF »

I have another question, is it worth getting the boxed version? Does it come with a nice manual? I miss the days when PC games had nice thick manuals to them, now its usually just a PDF file.
User avatar
jeffk3510
Posts: 4143
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:59 am
Location: Kansas

RE: Question on the price

Post by jeffk3510 »

It is worth every penny of 80 bucks.  Boxed version is worth getting for the manual IMO...even though the game is updated since the release...
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.
Lomri
Posts: 231
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:09 pm

RE: Question on the price

Post by Lomri »


When WitP came out I also bought the t-shirt because after playing UV for a long time I thought the price for WitP was way too cheap. It was my way of spending more money in support of the game.

For those who like to think about the cost of the game over time here is another thing to think about. If you bought this game instead of a First Person Shooter, and got hooked, you also probably saved a lot of money by not having to upgrade your computer every few years.

Speaking of spending money, someone should start a pilot training business. After each turn you ship it to your 'trainer' and he does all the pilot training clicking for you, and sends the turn along to your opponent. Charge like $1 a turn. Maybe you don't send it to your trainer every turn, maybe every other game week.

;)

User avatar
jeffk3510
Posts: 4143
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:59 am
Location: Kansas

RE: Question on the price

Post by jeffk3510 »

Good idea, however you would be working for a horrible rate per hour... if you do the math...
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.
User avatar
crsutton
Posts: 9590
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:56 pm
Location: Maryland

RE: Question on the price

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: DarenDF

I have another question, is it worth getting the boxed version? Does it come with a nice manual? I miss the days when PC games had nice thick manuals to them, now its usually just a PDF file.

I used to get the box version, but with the online manual in PDF form, it really no longer matters. Plus, if they update the manual (doubtful) it will not be in a print version but on line.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
User avatar
crsutton
Posts: 9590
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:56 pm
Location: Maryland

RE: Question on the price

Post by crsutton »

If I recall, you can ship your World of Warcraft character to a site China where they would use bots to run your levels up to the highest level without actually having to play the game. Now if somebody could figure out how to do that with my pilots.....
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
User avatar
DOCUP
Posts: 3135
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:38 pm

RE: Question on the price

Post by DOCUP »

Darren

I was like you I thought the game was a lil pricey. I bought it for 100 and I haven't regret it yet. If you like long complex games this is it. I got the box edition, you will use it a little bit. You will spend more time on this forum asking for info than you will in the manual.

Good luck
doc
User avatar
JohnDillworth
Posts: 3104
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:22 pm

RE: Question on the price

Post by JohnDillworth »

Most fun you've had with your pants on.
You guys play with your pants on?[:D]
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
User avatar
JohnDillworth
Posts: 3104
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:22 pm

RE: Question on the price

Post by JohnDillworth »

Actually Witp AE hasn't cost me a penny in divorce lawyers - that was all wrapped up by the original WitP l

eaving me lots of time to enjoy WitP AE alone and unhindered
So you are saying the game might actually be an investment?
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
User avatar
jeffk3510
Posts: 4143
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:59 am
Location: Kansas

RE: Question on the price

Post by jeffk3510 »

[:D][:D] those last two comments made me giggle.
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.
User avatar
DarenDF
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:01 pm

RE: Question on the price

Post by DarenDF »

XD thanks for the replies everyone, I've been lurking on the forum for a few weeks and have started reading AAR's and I already feel hooked on the game, so I will be picking this up soon, though I may wait til the summer classes in my college are over. Can't afford to be tempted away from studying at this point and I have a feeling the game would be good at that.
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: Question on the price

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: DarenDF

XD thanks for the replies everyone, I've been lurking on the forum for a few weeks and have started reading AAR's and I already feel hooked on the game, so I will be picking this up soon, though I may wait til the summer classes in my college are over. Can't afford to be tempted away from studying at this point and I have a feeling the game would be good at that.
Hi DarenDF,

I've been playing this game and its predecessor, "vanila" War in the Pacific for about 9 years now. Before that, I used to regularly buy video games-first person shooters, various and sundry Civ-style games, 'beer n' pretzel' strategy games or RTS titles.

With a small handful of exceptions, I haven't purchased any other computer games over that timeframe. Even if AE is twice as expensive as a 'typical' computer game, it will eat so much of your life, that you'll save money. Also, just think of the other entertainment, recreation, personal hygeine and expensive dating that you can do away with now too. [;)]

As others have said, this game is a bargain by almost any measure.
Image
User avatar
LST Express
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:38 am
Location: Texas

RE: Question on the price

Post by LST Express »

Bought WITE the day it came out and haven't played a turn because I can't tear myself away from this baby![:D] And I've been playing this from the day it came out.
Rainer
Posts: 1210
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2000 10:00 am
Location: Neuching, Bavaria, Germany

RE: Question on the price

Post by Rainer »

Can't afford to be tempted away from studying at this point and I have a feeling the game would be good at that.

A very wise precaution indeed [;)]

WitP/AE and its various predecessors (PacWar, WitP and now WitP/AE) caused me quite some slips in keeping appointments in the last 20 (!) years.
This stuff is ADDICTIVE. Once a move is finished you just want to have a look at the outcome, adjust a bit here and there, and suddenly you are in full swing of planning the next move. And then you want to see, of course, how it works. Back to square one and the cycle restarts.
WitP/AE
1.7.11.26b
Data base changes by Andy Mac October 16, 2012
Scen #1 Allied vs AI Level Hard Daily Turns
Art Mods by TomLabel and Reg
Topo Map by chemkid

WitW / Torch
1.01.37 - 1.01.44 beta
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: Question on the price

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth
Most fun you've had with your pants on.
You guys play with your pants on?[:D]
Warspite1
[:)]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
PresterJohn001
Posts: 382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:45 pm

RE: Question on the price

Post by PresterJohn001 »

Got to agree, best cost/fun ratio game ive ever played and i've been computer gaming since the ZX Spectrum came out. PBEM is the way to go for me.
Support is superb and the game has genuine love and dedication from its devteam and players.

Also if you enable -nopants in the config file you get a beneficial DRM to torpedo accuracy when playing Dillworth Style. fact.

memento mori
User avatar
LST Express
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:38 am
Location: Texas

RE: Question on the price

Post by LST Express »

ORIGINAL: PresterJohn


Also if you enable -nopants in the config file you get a beneficial DRM to torpedo accuracy when playing Dillworth Style. fact.

Say What? [;)]
Rainer
Posts: 1210
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2000 10:00 am
Location: Neuching, Bavaria, Germany

RE: Question on the price

Post by Rainer »

Say What?

More important: WHERE?
Couldn't find it in the manual/notes.
And when I asked my wife where I should look for the no-pants feature she gave me a very stern look ...
[:D]
WitP/AE
1.7.11.26b
Data base changes by Andy Mac October 16, 2012
Scen #1 Allied vs AI Level Hard Daily Turns
Art Mods by TomLabel and Reg
Topo Map by chemkid

WitW / Torch
1.01.37 - 1.01.44 beta
User avatar
DarenDF
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:01 pm

RE: Question on the price

Post by DarenDF »

Ok so I am weak willed it turns out and I got the game. I do have one question, should I use the last official released patch or use the beta patch?
Post Reply

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”