Long Range thing again

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

User avatar
76mm
Posts: 4768
Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 4:26 am
Location: Washington, DC

RE: Long Range thing again

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: Marquo

The point of attaching BAK to a front is so they can support the Front's combat; it really pisses me off to see BAK airbases fully loaded with level bombers which do absolutely  nothing to support ground combat flaring a mere 10 hexes away from Moscow; it's like the Western Front is on it's own and STAVKA won't like a hand to help.

good point, but I just station them near a few stavka armies, so they don't sit idle. also, I attach about half fighters, not just bombers.
Don77
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 4:42 am

RE: Long Range thing again

Post by Don77 »

Another way of looking at this? Perhaps BAK is exactly what is should be - long range aviation? If so, we could use one or two BAK DBAD and/or IAD to support Stavka units. But really, the majority of BAK should be used (by the player) for strategic bombing of rail junctions, cities, HQ or logistics (Ploesti)? That would make sense - a long range bombing force
User avatar
76mm
Posts: 4768
Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 4:26 am
Location: Washington, DC

RE: Long Range thing again

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: Don77

But really, the majority of BAK should be used (by the player) for strategic bombing of rail junctions, cities, HQ or logistics (Ploesti)? That would make sense - a long range bombing force

Yeah, except as far as I can tell, this is pretty much useless in-game, and I don't think the Sovs had any kind of emphasis on such strategic bombing. Using them for interdiction is probably more useful and more realistic, and their long-range can also be used in such role.
Don77
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 4:42 am

RE: Long Range thing again

Post by Don77 »

Thanks 76mm. I agree the Sov's may not have done this in RL, but in the game, I think this is a reasonably realistic equivalent, no? And if so, using your suggestion, how would you use them for interdiction then, by active use and deliberrately targeting something (rail), or leave them for the AI to use?
User avatar
76mm
Posts: 4768
Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 4:26 am
Location: Washington, DC

RE: Long Range thing again

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: Don77
Thanks 76mm. I agree the Sov's may not have done this in RL, but in the game, I think this is a reasonably realistic equivalent, no? And if so, using your suggestion, how would you use them for interdiction then, by active use and deliberrately targeting something (rail), or leave them for the AI to use?

Interdiction is a pretty blunt tool in WitE, you have to rely on the computer to figure out what it will attack. That said, there are two steps the player can take to increase the effectiveness of interdiction: 1) conduct lots of air recon (planes will only interdict targets which have been ID'd); and 2) crank up interdiction settings in the air doctrines screen. I think at some points in my campaign I've turned Interdiction settings up to 300% or even 400%, although only when the Germans were making threatening moves.

As far as using bombers based in the BAK air bases for long range bombing: I'm not really hung up on what the Sovs did in real life, but I suspect that the end result of using the bombers as you suggest in-game would be massive bomber losses with little to show for it. Of course the results of interdiction are hardly dramatic either, but at least I can imagine that it played a role in stopping an attack, etc.
Post Reply

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”