error 301

Post bug reports and request support here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

User avatar
Michael T
Posts: 4445
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:35 pm
Location: Queensland, Australia.

RE: error 301

Post by Michael T »

76mm, what I do when I get the yes-no option is just leave it sit there. I wait for an hour or so an try again. Once I let it sit all night, got up the next morning and it worked. I have not lost a turn yet, except for a couple of crashes that were not the servers fault. If you can just be patient with it, it will eventually upload.

For me these inconveinience's are far outweighed by the extra security and the conveinience of not having to email save files.

Thanks Matrix/Slitherine for this feature. Please keep improving it. I think its great and the way forward for all people who want to avoid cheaters as much as possible.
User avatar
michaelm75au
Posts: 12467
Joined: Sat May 05, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

RE: error 301

Post by michaelm75au »

It might be more user friendly, if the 'game' could pop up a message when the server was going and/or was down. Give it a dedicated error code and message that the game could interpret and show to the player when it happens or at the start of the turn.

At least that could warn the player and they may want to postpone doing their turn. Rather than spending sometime doing the turn and then finding it can't be uploaded due to the server being offline.

Trying to find local storage methods of protection can be difficult as I have found.

If this method of Player-to-Player is to be common to other games, it should try to build these types of 'helpful' items in to the structure now rather later.
Michael
User avatar
PipFromSlitherine
Site Admin
Posts: 1523
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:11 pm

RE: error 301

Post by PipFromSlitherine »

We did consider it, but adding those kinds of features requires client changes and the timescale we had for the server move didn't give enough time for new versions from every developer. We are rolling out ingame messaging of the kind you suggest, and we could have used it in this instance, but as I say, we decided we didn't have time for the client changes.

We have hopefully moved to a server which gives us much easier upgrading and so won't need this kind of disruptive downtime again for a loooong time!

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
Post Reply

Return to “Tech Support”