Do you have a SECRET Weapon? I do...

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
LST Express
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:38 am
Location: Texas

RE: Do you have a SECRET Weapon? I do...

Post by LST Express »

I have a 3 legged lab with an active tail I have to keep an eye on. [:)]
User avatar
crsutton
Posts: 9590
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:56 pm
Location: Maryland

RE: Do you have a SECRET Weapon? I do...

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Icedawg is right about counters with the old games. Man I remember playing out a scenario of Flattop once and coming home to find that the cats had had a fight on the board and EVERYTHING was spread EVERYWHERE! Terrible...

Don't ever, ever, ever ask me to tell you the story about my "Red Barricades" board and the pot roast. 20 years of therapy and I am still having nightmares about it....[X(]
It is a miracle that the marriage survived..
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
User avatar
crsutton
Posts: 9590
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:56 pm
Location: Maryland

RE: Do you have a SECRET Weapon? I do...

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

1776 was bad, but what about Terrible Swift Sword?!  One day, Heth's division was advancing to engage Buford.  My gerbil intervened and Heth straddled the Baltimore Pike.

Such a great game. "A Gleam of Bayonets" too. I still own them both. Doubt I could play them again but don't have the heart to get rid of them.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Mac Linehan
Posts: 1519
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Denver Colorado

RE: Do you have a SECRET Weapon? I do...

Post by Mac Linehan »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

1776 was bad, but what about Terrible Swift Sword?!  One day, Heth's division was advancing to engage Buford.  My gerbil intervened and Heth straddled the Baltimore Pike.

Such a great game. "A Gleam of Bayonets" too. I still own them both. Doubt I could play them again but don't have the heart to get rid of them.


crsutton -

From 1971 until 1989 (when computers entered my life!) I would periodically come home on leave and buy one or two hundred dollars worth of board games, from Squad Leader though "A Gleam of Bayonets". Was really only able to play Squad Leader (and it is absolutely awesome to have all the modules - one of the advantages of being older..<grin>) due to time constraints.

In February of 1999 my basement flooded, water damaging about 50% of the 60 or so board games stacked on the floor, but I was able to dry them out and only lost one - Victory Games "Panzer Commander" (IIRC).

Fortunately, with the advent of computers and HPS's "Aide de Camp" it is possible to convert any board game to a computer format - regardless of water damage.

As for Cats: Probably in 1979 or so, a friend and I attempted to play SPI's War in the Pacific. We came up with a system that had two doors, mounted horizontally (like a table) but hung with light cords from pulleys in the garage. It did wobble a bit while playing, but when done, the doors could be retracted up and out of the way. Disaster hit when Louie (of Casablanca fame), a Siamese with an attitude, decided to sleep on the maps. I recall seeing his malevolent eyes staring down at me while his tail swept part of the board clean.

We didn't get too far into the game because I was only home on leave for a short time, but we did thoroughly enjoy our selfs setting everything up and doing the opening moves.

OK - your post and this thread brought back many memories.

Mac
LAV-25 2147
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: Do you have a SECRET Weapon? I do...

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Icedawg is right about counters with the old games. Man I remember playing out a scenario of Flattop once and coming home to find that the cats had had a fight on the board and EVERYTHING was spread EVERYWHERE! Terrible...

Don't ever, ever, ever ask me to tell you the story about my "Red Barricades" board and the pot roast. 20 years of therapy and I am still having nightmares about it....[X(]
It is a miracle that the marriage survived..
Hey crsutton,

What's all this about the Red Barricades board and the pot roast? Kind of like "The Noodle Incident" in Calvin and Hobbes?
Image
User avatar
Historiker
Posts: 4742
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:11 pm
Location: Deutschland

RE: Do you have a SECRET Weapon? I do...

Post by Historiker »

my secret weapon, though i don#t know whether it makes me better...

Image
Attachments
aaa.jpg
aaa.jpg (103.34 KiB) Viewed 333 times
Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson
User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: Do you have a SECRET Weapon? I do...

Post by geofflambert »

.


Image
Attachments
dourkitten.jpg
dourkitten.jpg (16.87 KiB) Viewed 335 times

User avatar
Gunner98
Posts: 6001
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:49 am
Location: The Great White North!
Contact:

RE: Do you have a SECRET Weapon? I do...

Post by Gunner98 »

Drang nach Osten! 7 of us (4 German, 3 Russian), 5 were unemployed at the time so the gaming was good; and the other two brought the beer. Well disciplined with the door until once, well into the evening after an all day marathon where the beer started about 15:00 the Pizza guy arrived. Heard a strange noise upstairs and ran up to discover my buddies younger sister's cat playing hockey with Army Group Center[:@]. Surprisingly the cat survived. Disappointingly the game was a wash and we all went out and got jobs... Cats!
Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/
User avatar
Empire101
Posts: 1950
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 2:25 pm
Location: Coruscant

RE: Do you have a SECRET Weapon? I do...

Post by Empire101 »

ORIGINAL: drw61

I don't want to hijack this thread but seeing this reminded me of an email I received with the following. Enjoy Daryl


CAT DIARY

Day 983 of my captivity.

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects.
They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are
fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt
for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in
order to keep up my strength. The only thing that keeps me going is
my dream of escape.

In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet.

Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their
feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly
demonstrates what I am capable of. However, they merely made
condescending comments about what a 'good little hunter' I am.
Bastards!

They continue to pick me up and handle me, an obvious attempt to
subvert me.

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was
placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However,
I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my
confinement was due to the power of 'allergies.' I must learn
what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one
of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking.
I must try this again tomorrow -- but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and
snitches.

The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released -- and
seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded.

Tonight I will again lay on their heads while they sleep and hope to
smother them.


DOG DIARY

8:00 am - Dog food! My favorite thing!
9:30 am - A car ride! My favorite thing!
9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favorite thing!
10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!
12:00 PM - Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!
1:00 PM - Played in the yard! My favorite thing!
3:00 PM - Ran back and forth in the hall! My favorite thing!
5:00 PM - Milk bones! My favorite thing!
7:00 PM - Got to play tug! My favorite thing!
8:00 PM - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing!
11:00 PM - Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!

Made me laugh..[:D].
[font="Tahoma"]Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
[/font] - Michael Burleigh

User avatar
ilovestrategy
Posts: 3614
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:41 pm
Location: San Diego
Contact:

RE: Do you have a SECRET Weapon? I do...

Post by ilovestrategy »

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Her name is Abbigail...


Image


The man has a ringer! [:D]
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
Image
Itdepends
Posts: 937
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:59 am

RE: Do you have a SECRET Weapon? I do...

Post by Itdepends »

Hmm- another reason why I won't be a cat person.

BTW- love the pic- dingy dungeion, creaky mdf bookshelf with old hardcopies- but notice the essentials- spanky wide flatscreen, coffee (I assume) and- he's taking notes. Isn't that cheating? (hold on- maybe that's only if you're playing Capt Mandrake).

Hope that isn't allied intell you've revealed on that note pad- at least the cat has done the righty and is obscuring the top of the page.
User avatar
Treetop64
Posts: 933
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:20 am
Location: 519 Redwood City - BASE (Hex 218, 70)

RE: Do you have a SECRET Weapon? I do...

Post by Treetop64 »

ORIGINAL: Empire101

ORIGINAL: drw61

I don't want to hijack this thread but seeing this reminded me of an email I received with the following. Enjoy Daryl


CAT DIARY

Day 983 of my captivity.

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects.
They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are
fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt
for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in
order to keep up my strength. The only thing that keeps me going is
my dream of escape.

In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet.

Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their
feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly
demonstrates what I am capable of. However, they merely made
condescending comments about what a 'good little hunter' I am.
Bastards!

They continue to pick me up and handle me, an obvious attempt to
subvert me.

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was
placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However,
I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my
confinement was due to the power of 'allergies.' I must learn
what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one
of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking.
I must try this again tomorrow -- but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and
snitches.

The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released -- and
seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded.

Tonight I will again lay on their heads while they sleep and hope to
smother them.


DOG DIARY

8:00 am - Dog food! My favorite thing!
9:30 am - A car ride! My favorite thing!
9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favorite thing!
10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!
12:00 PM - Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!
1:00 PM - Played in the yard! My favorite thing!
3:00 PM - Ran back and forth in the hall! My favorite thing!
5:00 PM - Milk bones! My favorite thing!
7:00 PM - Got to play tug! My favorite thing!
8:00 PM - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing!
11:00 PM - Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!

Made me laugh..[:D].

Effing hilarious! [:D]
Image
User avatar
John 3rd
Posts: 17790
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:03 pm
Location: La Salle, Colorado

RE: Do you have a SECRET Weapon? I do...

Post by John 3rd »

ORIGINAL: Itdepends

Hmm- another reason why I won't be a cat person.

BTW- love the pic- dingy dungeion, creaky mdf bookshelf with old hardcopies- but notice the essentials- spanky wide flatscreen, coffee (I assume) and- he's taking notes. Isn't that cheating? (hold on- maybe that's only if you're playing Capt Mandrake).

Hope that isn't allied intell you've revealed on that note pad- at least the cat has done the righty and is obscuring the top of the page.

Good Laugh provided here. You are correct in nearly all regards except that is Tea. Darjeeling probably.

I have so many notebooks of AE and Mod Creation that they take up about 18" of shelf space. Abbigail is covering only the 'essential' information. She--all cats--are very good a keeping secrets!
Image

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
bradfordkay
Posts: 8686
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2002 8:39 am
Location: Olympia, WA

RE: Do you have a SECRET Weapon? I do...

Post by bradfordkay »

ORIGINAL: drw61

I don't want to hijack this thread but seeing this reminded me of an email I received with the following. Enjoy Daryl


CAT DIARY

Day 983 of my captivity.

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects.
They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are
fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt
for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in
order to keep up my strength. The only thing that keeps me going is
my dream of escape.

In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet.

Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their
feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly
demonstrates what I am capable of. However, they merely made
condescending comments about what a 'good little hunter' I am.
Bastards!

They continue to pick me up and handle me, an obvious attempt to
subvert me.

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was
placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However,
I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my
confinement was due to the power of 'allergies.' I must learn
what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one
of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking.
I must try this again tomorrow -- but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and
snitches.

The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released -- and
seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded.

Tonight I will again lay on their heads while they sleep and hope to
smother them.


DOG DIARY

8:00 am - Dog food! My favorite thing!
9:30 am - A car ride! My favorite thing!
9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favorite thing!
10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!
12:00 PM - Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!
1:00 PM - Played in the yard! My favorite thing!
3:00 PM - Ran back and forth in the hall! My favorite thing!
5:00 PM - Milk bones! My favorite thing!
7:00 PM - Got to play tug! My favorite thing!
8:00 PM - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing!
11:00 PM - Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!


Absolutely priceless!
fair winds,
Brad
bradfordkay
Posts: 8686
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2002 8:39 am
Location: Olympia, WA

RE: Do you have a SECRET Weapon? I do...

Post by bradfordkay »

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

You had a cat named Joe Hooker? Man...I thought I was a GEEK!


Well, he was named by the historian at Kennesaw Mtn Battlefield, who had found him as a stray. Joe and their dog didn't get along, so my family took him in. I think that his fights with the dog earned him the name...
fair winds,
Brad
User avatar
John 3rd
Posts: 17790
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:03 pm
Location: La Salle, Colorado

RE: Do you have a SECRET Weapon? I do...

Post by John 3rd »

Hadn't seen your follow-on Post Brad. That is a funny story! I thought he might be named for the harem of...ahhh...'ladies' he keeps around your place!
Image

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
Schanilec
Posts: 4038
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:30 pm
Location: Grand Forks, ND

RE: Do you have a SECRET Weapon? I do...

Post by Schanilec »

ORIGINAL: drw61

I don't want to hijack this thread but seeing this reminded me of an email I received with the following. Enjoy Daryl


CAT DIARY

Day 983 of my captivity.

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects.
They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are
fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt
for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in
order to keep up my strength. The only thing that keeps me going is
my dream of escape.

In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet.

Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their
feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly
demonstrates what I am capable of. However, they merely made
condescending comments about what a 'good little hunter' I am.
Bastards!

They continue to pick me up and handle me, an obvious attempt to
subvert me.

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was
placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However,
I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my
confinement was due to the power of 'allergies.' I must learn
what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one
of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking.
I must try this again tomorrow -- but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and
snitches.

The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released -- and
seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded.

Tonight I will again lay on their heads while they sleep and hope to
smother them.


DOG DIARY

8:00 am - Dog food! My favorite thing!
9:30 am - A car ride! My favorite thing!
9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favorite thing!
10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!
12:00 PM - Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!
1:00 PM - Played in the yard! My favorite thing!
3:00 PM - Ran back and forth in the hall! My favorite thing!
5:00 PM - Milk bones! My favorite thing!
7:00 PM - Got to play tug! My favorite thing!
8:00 PM - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing!
11:00 PM - Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!

Laughed hard enough for tears.
This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.
User avatar
LoBaron
Posts: 4775
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2003 8:23 pm
Location: Vienna, Austria

RE: Do you have a SECRET Weapon? I do...

Post by LoBaron »

ORIGINAL: Schanilec

ORIGINAL: drw61

I don't want to hijack this thread but seeing this reminded me of an email I received with the following. Enjoy Daryl


CAT DIARY

Day 983 of my captivity.

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects.
They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are
fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt
for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in
order to keep up my strength. The only thing that keeps me going is
my dream of escape.

In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet.

Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their
feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly
demonstrates what I am capable of. However, they merely made
condescending comments about what a 'good little hunter' I am.
Bastards!

They continue to pick me up and handle me, an obvious attempt to
subvert me.

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was
placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However,
I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my
confinement was due to the power of 'allergies.' I must learn
what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one
of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking.
I must try this again tomorrow -- but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and
snitches.

The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released -- and
seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded.

Tonight I will again lay on their heads while they sleep and hope to
smother them.


DOG DIARY

8:00 am - Dog food! My favorite thing!
9:30 am - A car ride! My favorite thing!
9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favorite thing!
10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!
12:00 PM - Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!
1:00 PM - Played in the yard! My favorite thing!
3:00 PM - Ran back and forth in the hall! My favorite thing!
5:00 PM - Milk bones! My favorite thing!
7:00 PM - Got to play tug! My favorite thing!
8:00 PM - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing!
11:00 PM - Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!

Laughed hard enough for tears.

Same here. Seen it first when I was on vacation on the east coast, IIRC it was a doormat print from a souvenier
shop in Cape Cod.

Bought it for my cousin who owns a dog. Should have bought it for my mother who owns 2 cats as well. [:D]
Image
User avatar
JohnDillworth
Posts: 3104
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:22 pm

RE: Do you have a SECRET Weapon? I do...

Post by JohnDillworth »

This is what happens when you use a mouse....
Ouch!![X(]
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
User avatar
vettim89
Posts: 3837
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:38 pm
Location: Toledo, Ohio

RE: Do you have a SECRET Weapon? I do...

Post by vettim89 »

My Aide-De-Camp, Stewart, reached up and hit the hot key for increasing the delay on messages. Had to pull the manual to figure which damn key he hit. Unlike other "asistants", mine is a 13 week old Jack Russell Terrorist puppy. As I type this, he has found an empty milk bottle and is giving it what for.
"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry
Post Reply

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”