Cross of Iron

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

User avatar
Marc von Martial
Posts: 5292
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: Bonn, Germany
Contact:

Post by Marc von Martial »

Originally posted by Old Eagle101
Does anyone remember the "Gunner Asch" novels by Hans Helmut Kirst? They were a series about a dis-illusioned German soldier and his adventures on the Russian Front. They were written in the 60's and if you can find one now they are about $40 to $50 for a dog eared paperback. They were outstanding. Hans Kirst was an infantryman in the wehrmact and has some really interesting points of view. He is also so sarcastic, its hilarious. He also wrote "The Night of the Generals" which was made into a movie. The book about the SS in the RVN was called "The Devil's Guard" I believe.
See my post above.:

"08/15 (fictious novel, a three books series) - Hans Hellmut Kirst "

It´s one of my favourite books. Recently bought the DVD set of the 60s movie too.
User avatar
Muzrub
Posts: 717
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Australia, Queensland, Gold coast
Contact:

Post by Muzrub »

It´s one of my favourite books. Recently bought the DVD set of the 60s movie too.



What is the name of the set?

Thanks.
Harmlessly passing your time in the grassland away;
Only dimly aware of a certain unease in the air.
You better watch out,
There may be dogs about
I've looked over Iraq, and i have seen
Things are not what they seem.


Matrix Axis of Evil
User avatar
Marc von Martial
Posts: 5292
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: Bonn, Germany
Contact:

Post by Marc von Martial »

Well, " 08/15 " here in Germany, like the book.
User avatar
Raindog101
Posts: 202
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2002 6:10 pm
Location: Hole-in-the-Wall

Post by Raindog101 »

Hmmmm, I'm a little confused, sorry. Marc, are you saying the title of a 3 book series by Hans Helmut Kirst is "08/15"? I never heard of that series. The one I was talking about was a 4 book series about "Gunner Asch". I've been searching the net for the Gunner Asch books and haven't run across "08/15" What are they about?
A thousand apologies in advance if this is a stupid question.
Image
User avatar
Marc von Martial
Posts: 5292
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: Bonn, Germany
Contact:

Post by Marc von Martial »

No, no stupid question at all. I assume that "Gunner Asch" is just a more common International title.

"08/15" is the german and original title. It´s the story of "Kanonier Asch - Gunner Asch". It´s is originally a 3 series book, however there was a late addition to the series about Kanonier Asch coming home and his live in after war Germany.

The first 3 parts are:

08/15 - In der Kaserne
08/15 - Im Krieg
08/15 - Bis zum bitteren Ende

and then added later

08/15 - In der Heimat


Actually the titel "08/15" is way better then just "Gunner Asch", but that of course only if you speak german.

"08/15" is/was a synonym for "boredom", "senseless repetition", "stupid military drill" and "commoness" in these/those days.

The Word "08/15" is derived from the german M.G. Maxim 08/15, which (having 350+ single parts) was widly used to drill recruits in assembling and dissasembling weapons.


For you (english speaking) DVD fans, check this, just found it:

http://www.ihffilm.com/0815.html
User avatar
Raindog101
Posts: 202
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2002 6:10 pm
Location: Hole-in-the-Wall

Post by Raindog101 »

Cool! thanks for the info. I feel like learning German to just watch those films. Aye the last Asch book was (in USA anyway) "What Ever Became of Gunner Asch". The 1st 3 were "The Revolt of Gunner Asch", Forward Gunner Asch" and the last one I cant remember. I read them about 30 years ago. I'm going to try and find them and read again. Do you think they will stand the test of time? Catch-22 does. That book never ages. I have a feeling neither will Gunner Asch.
Image
User avatar
Marc von Martial
Posts: 5292
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: Bonn, Germany
Contact:

Post by Marc von Martial »

I´ve read the series 3 times now. First time I was around 8 IIRC. I have seen the movies before I bought the DVD set, I merely bought it to just "have it here". Well, It took me about 1 hour after the set arrived and I watched them another time ;).

The series is just to good to age.
Kanon Fodder
Posts: 183
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Portland, Orrygun
Contact:

Post by Kanon Fodder »

Thanks for that link.

Now I will have yet another way to drain my bank account
;)
User avatar
Brigz
Posts: 842
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2002 10:00 am

Post by Brigz »

Originally posted by Jim1954
As is the case with most situations, when a book is made into a movie, somethung is always lost. The book was a lot better than the movie. Read it if you can find it.

:D :D
It's been a long time since I've read or seen "Cross of Iron". But am I wrong or when they made the movie didn't they take some of the events in the book out of sequence. I seem to remember the sequence of the Russian women getting revenge on the Germans at the farmhouse occuring at a different time in the movie than in the book. Anyone else notice that? I don't know, maybe it was just really good pot.

By the way: I already miss James Coburn. One of my favorites.
“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”
User avatar
stevemk1a
Posts: 860
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2002 10:44 am
Location: Penticton B.C.

Post by stevemk1a »

Anyone remember when James Coburn guest starred in an episode of Combat! as the German soldier who infiltrated into the American squad? Anyhow ... he was always one of the coolest Hollywood actors :cool:
User avatar
Muzrub
Posts: 717
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Australia, Queensland, Gold coast
Contact:

Post by Muzrub »

The role of Hannible in the A-team was ment for James Coburn....But he turned it down and George Peppard got the job- Soon after that George discovered that Mr T was idiot and said he would never speak of Mr T again. Sad stuff
Harmlessly passing your time in the grassland away;
Only dimly aware of a certain unease in the air.
You better watch out,
There may be dogs about
I've looked over Iraq, and i have seen
Things are not what they seem.


Matrix Axis of Evil
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”