How much did you spend?
Moderator: maddog986
RE: How much did you spend?
Bought EAW for $50, but cannot get into it. Would like to buy into something else WW I that uses the IGOUGO system.
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
RE: How much did you spend?
well if i posted what i bought but couldn't get into it, the list may be a bit longer than most, as some haven't turned out to be what i had hoped for, but may grow on me over time, some do, some don't, that's life i guess, sometimes a patch or addon later fixes what i don't like, or a mod etc
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 26300) (26100.ge_release.240331-1435) 26H2 26300.9550
RE: How much did you spend?
ORIGINAL: zakblood
have you seen / watched the twitch feed of Vietnam '65 being played jack54?
Yes 3 times ... [;)]
Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17
Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)
Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)
RE: How much did you spend?
What I am getting at is: Buying a game that is suggested, then finding out "it's not my cup of tea". Sure there are those who buy the advanced games like penny candy and rave about it, all well and good, that's their mindset. As for myself, I'm more for the intermediate games that are not an instant headache, however there are not a lot of such games of quality in that category (arguments could be made). Yes WITE or west ect. looks awesome but a bit overboard for someone like myself, if they had versions of those games that were not so time consuming, I'd buy them in a heartbeat.
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
- TulliusDetritus
- Posts: 5581
- Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:49 am
- Location: The Zone™
RE: How much did you spend?
ORIGINAL: operating
What I am getting at is: Buying a game that is suggested, then finding out "it's not my cup of tea". Sure there are those who buy the advanced games like penny candy and rave about it, all well and good, that's their mindset. As for myself, I'm more for the intermediate games that are not an instant headache, however there are not a lot of such games of quality in that category (arguments could be made). Yes WITE or west ect. looks awesome but a bit overboard for someone like myself, if they had versions of those games that were not so time consuming, I'd buy them in a heartbeat.
For me it's the opposite. I cannot play a game in which you "buy" the units you need. I have to have the WHOLE thing: all the units! But do not give me abstract units, I want the historical units! WitP is a dream come true, indeed. And I had to wait until the 2004 release (that's why I joined these forums in the first place). The old Pac War was too abstract for my own taste. Time consuming? Yes, no doubt.
Even in the also massive WitE I quickly noticed the 10 Engineer Armies the Stavka deployed were missing in the OOB. And of course I wanted them ten engineer armies! [:'(]
We all are different. Fortunately there are games for everyone.
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
- Fallschirmjager
- Posts: 3555
- Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2002 12:46 am
- Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
RE: How much did you spend?
ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen
ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager
My wife likes gaming too so I can justify some of it since she plays certain games as much if not more than I do. She probably has more hours on our PS4 than I do.
In that case I recommend you to look for some analog war games. Show her off Warhammer games (Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Warhammer 40,000), look up cost of the models, and compare that to computer war games [X(]
In college and law school almost all of my free time and extra income went to Warhammer 40k and Battlefleet Gothic.
I spent thousands
God
Looking back at it, it is amazing that I ever ended up even getting married. I was a super nerd.
RE: How much did you spend?
Don't get me wrong: In the games you just mentioned, are there not new units created during the course of the game? At some cost? From time to time do read their AARs..
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
- TulliusDetritus
- Posts: 5581
- Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:49 am
- Location: The Zone™
RE: How much did you spend?
ORIGINAL: operating
Don't get me wrong: In the games you just mentioned, are there not new units created during the course of the game? At some cost? From time to time do read their AARs..
In WitP you can re-build destroyed air and land units. Some can't be recalled, I guess those that were destroyed and never came back ie the Dutch or British units in Malaysia. But these are well known units (as opposed to abstract "fighter unit, infantry regiment"). Imagine the US 32nd Infantry Division (Southwest Pacific and quickly sent to New Guinea) is annihilated enroute to Australia (subs, carriers or whatever). A huge catastrophe [:D] But... the player has to have this big unit or you would be missing something important. You re-build it that is.
In WitE all the units you get were there: "285 Rifle Division" etc. etc. But of course, many Soviet units are necessarily annihilated [:D] In the end, to simulate the Great Patriotic War you have to have the hundreds of divisions the Red Army had. If you want to replicate this you have to rebuild (or buy, ok) NON abstract rifle, tank, mechanised, cavalry units. But always more or less following a historical path (in theory you are building units that were deployed, destroyed at some point or not). If the 124 Cavalry Division was deployed in the real conflict -let's say they managed to survive, were not disbanded- then you have to have the option to re-build it (or buy).
In fact, in both games, many units are withdrawn at a concrete date (just like its historical counterparts). A massive documentation job.
EDIT: in fact, in both games the units that never were destroyed (or were rebuilt) could simply come back perhaps automatically. PPs (political points) are used instead. To make the game more competitive I guess. You don't get them for free, you have to make your own choices. Designer's decision.
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
RE: How much did you spend?
How much? I don't feel like actually coming up with an exact total.
For pc games I spent around $1,000-lot's of Matrix/Slitherine.
But I also spent over $3,000 buying some old board games that I had been looking for.
For pc games I spent around $1,000-lot's of Matrix/Slitherine.
But I also spent over $3,000 buying some old board games that I had been looking for.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
- british exil
- Posts: 1686
- Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 6:26 pm
- Location: Lower Saxony Germany
RE: How much did you spend?
Didn't spend much this year on games, hardly no time since our son was born. (20 months old now) I did buy some hardware though.
New Monitor 27" and a pair of headphones Astrogamings A40, they are more comfortable than my old ones.
Mat
New Monitor 27" and a pair of headphones Astrogamings A40, they are more comfortable than my old ones.
Mat
"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill
WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS
WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS
- MrsWargamer
- Posts: 1653
- Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:04 pm
RE: How much did you spend?
Precisely too damned much.
I have decided wargames have had their day. I have so many now, and likely more than I have years sufficient to enjoy them.
In 2015 I have decided to spend my money on new pursuits.
Bought a really beautiful ring in 10k gold with a really nice bit of bridge work holding three of my birthstone (aquamarine). Spent as much as I did on WitW, WiF, and WitE and likely should have bought the ring originally
I'm thinking of investing my efforts into China dolls (not much different than buying games from Gary
).
My next wargame purchase will probably be a treat for a friend (why should I be the only one cursed with buying wargames around here eh
) to encourage him to get into the hobby.
I'm also pondering putting some effort into seasonal production of picture frames. It's amazing how easy it is to make really superior frames.
Not sure if my health will cooperate though.
I have decided wargames have had their day. I have so many now, and likely more than I have years sufficient to enjoy them.
In 2015 I have decided to spend my money on new pursuits.
Bought a really beautiful ring in 10k gold with a really nice bit of bridge work holding three of my birthstone (aquamarine). Spent as much as I did on WitW, WiF, and WitE and likely should have bought the ring originally
I'm thinking of investing my efforts into China dolls (not much different than buying games from Gary
My next wargame purchase will probably be a treat for a friend (why should I be the only one cursed with buying wargames around here eh
I'm also pondering putting some effort into seasonal production of picture frames. It's amazing how easy it is to make really superior frames.
Not sure if my health will cooperate though.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
RE: How much did you spend?
In the past year, I've spent nearly $300 bucks on
[*]Conflict of Heroes (plus the first expansion)
[*]Lock 'n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad
[*]Pike & Shot
[*]Scourge of War: Chancellorsville
[*]Civil War II
[*]Rise of Prussia Gold
and also
[*]Civil War Battles (JTS, all available titles, for Android)
[*]Modern Campaigns: Middle East '67 (JTS, PC & Android)
[*]Europa Universalis IV (PI, plus an expansion or two; in all, my most regrettable purchases)
Uncharacteristically high for me. Usually I'll spend $100 tops, some years nothing at all.
Not that I have the time play most of them. [8|]
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
RE: How much did you spend?
Together with a friend we spent around $200 on games here, Steam, and elsewhere. Sadly my friend is gone, and I have had little interest or time to play 
save the carrots; eat a vegan!
- Rising-Sun
- Posts: 2247
- Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:27 am
- Location: Clifton Park, NY
- Contact:
RE: How much did you spend?
I save a lot last year, not sure how much. But just bought Overlord from Steam for $1.24 lol, you cant beat that.

-
aaatoysandmore
- Posts: 2846
- Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:35 pm
RE: How much did you spend?
ORIGINAL: RisingSun
I save a lot last year, not sure how much. But just bought Overlord from Steam for $1.24 lol, you cant beat that.
Uh huh...got free MMO's from Steam last year.[:'(]
RE: How much did you spend?
30 Euro mainly on various promotions in G.O.G. and HumbleStore. Mostly because last year was so bad. There were some games I find interesting but I can't afford them.
RE: How much did you spend?
I can't even think how much I spent. I know I bought To End All Wars and War in the West.
That's about it, I guess. I'm not sure.
That's about it, I guess. I'm not sure.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
RE: How much did you spend?
ORIGINAL: berto
In the past year, I've spent nearly $300 bucks on
[*]Conflict of Heroes (plus the first expansion)
[*]Lock 'n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad
[*]Pike & Shot
[*]Scourge of War: Chancellorsville
[*]Civil War II
[*]Rise of Prussia Gold
and also
[*]Civil War Battles (JTS, all available titles, for Android)
[*]Modern Campaigns: Middle East '67 (JTS, PC & Android)
[*]Europa Universalis IV (PI, plus an expansion or two; in all, my most regrettable purchases)
Uncharacteristically high for me. Usually I'll spend $100 tops, some years nothing at all.
Not that I have the time play most of them. [8|]
Berto how is Modern Campaigns: Middle East '67? I am thinking about buying it.
RE: How much did you spend?
There is a graphics make-over mod at volcano mods, but recent updates to Middle East 67 broke the mod.ORIGINAL: Aces8
Berto how is Modern Campaigns: Middle East '67? I am thinking about buying it.
Without it, the stock graphics are just too awful to bear. I stopped playing. Meh.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
RE: How much did you spend?
After checking, in 2014 I bought:
WWIIE
Field Of Glory
(w/Storm of Arrows)
Warlock (Master of the Arcane)
Combat Command
Lock and Load Heroes of Stalingrad
CO Battles from the Bulge
Age of Empires II
Hearts of Iron III
Civilization V
Drums of War
WWIIE
Field Of Glory
(w/Storm of Arrows)
Warlock (Master of the Arcane)
Combat Command
Lock and Load Heroes of Stalingrad
CO Battles from the Bulge
Age of Empires II
Hearts of Iron III
Civilization V
Drums of War
JRR










