1970s Jamming Technology vs. 1990s

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

DWReese
Posts: 2607
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:40 am
Location: Miami, Florida

RE: 1970s Jamming Technology vs. 1990s

Post by DWReese »

The story that I read, I'll try to find it, says that Israel gets two this year, and the balance will be delivered by 2021. At least, that's the way that I remember it. I'll try to find it.

Doug
User avatar
cf_dallas
Posts: 303
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:35 pm
Location: Grapevine, TX

RE: 1970s Jamming Technology vs. 1990s

Post by cf_dallas »

ORIGINAL: DWReese

The story that I read, I'll try to find it, says that Israel gets two this year, and the balance will be delivered by 2021. At least, that's the way that I remember it. I'll try to find it.

Doug

Yup. AS:01 and AS:02, the first Israeli jets, will be delivered this year. AS:01 is getting closer to final assembly rollout.
Formerly cwemyss
StellarRat
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:49 pm

RE: 1970s Jamming Technology vs. 1990s

Post by StellarRat »

ORIGINAL: ColonelMolerat

There's a Baloogan video here about airborne jammers. Not quite what you're after, but it gives a bit of an insight into how they work - I imagine ground-based jammers work similarly, but are more powerful (in light of what's been said above).

As far as I know, jammers work by swamping the target's radar with signals that are more powerful than those reflected back by its own radar. The target can only use its radar effectively when the waves that are reflected from what it's hunting are more powerful than those fired by the jammer - ie, when it's close enough that not much radar 'power' is lost over distance.
There are other techniques besides just blasting the enemies radar with high powered signals. You can also broadcast a "fake" return and make it appear that you are in a different position than you really are. There is also making the enemy think there are a bunch of contacts when it's really just you, etc... It's really quite a big subject. Another consideration, if you use any kind of active jamming you are much easier to detect yourself since you're emitting radiation. Radar and jamming are also affected by range, weather and terrain (including trees and buildings.) You wouldn't want to put a ground based jammer behind a hill for example as it would block jamming signal for anything coming from the other side.
Post Reply

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”