Soviet industry pointers

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

User avatar
xhoel
Posts: 3339
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:46 pm
Location: Germany

RE: Soviet industry pointers

Post by xhoel »

ORIGINAL: 56ajax

ORIGINAL: Stelteck
ORIGINAL: beender

I don't understand the point of having too much ARM points very well. Soviet can just build some ARM-expensive SUs to expend them, can't they?

There is not such thing you are able to mass produce. The production of each type of guns is also limited by manpower and an internal software limit so even with Unlimited arm you can struggle to fill your artillery divisions for example.
At least breakthough divisions use all sorts of guns so the effect is mitigated. But if you create an artillery division that use one or two types of guns only, such as Heavy Howitzer division, the division will take forever to fill.
Just want to question the statement in bold. Is there a manpower input into production? I thought all manpower went into the armed forces. If you don't have enough manpower you may not be able to crew your tanks, guns etc but it doesn't stop them being built.

An element is considered build when the element (tank, gun etc) is matched with the respective manpower, which means you cannot simply produce guns without the needed crew for it. The game doesn't track crew and items seperately.
AAR WITW: Gotterdammerung 43-45
tm.asp?m=4490035
AAR WITE: A Clash of Titans 41-45
tm.asp?m=4488465
WitE 2 Tester and Test Coordinator
User avatar
EwaldvonKleist
Posts: 2412
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany

RE: Soviet industry pointers

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

The game doesn't track crew and items seperately.
I think it does. The equipment you see in the pools is really just the equipment without manpower. The manpower gets added if the equipment type is put in a unit.

At least that was the reply I got to the same question for the WitW/WitE2 engine and I assume it to be the same in WitE.
However, I am not an expert on those things.
just wanted some pointers so I could see if I made a dent to Soviet production and it seems I have not
The only time when it will be felt will be late 1941/early 1942 for the Soviets. Before and after that time your captured industry wont restrain the Soviets.
User avatar
xhoel
Posts: 3339
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:46 pm
Location: Germany

RE: Soviet industry pointers

Post by xhoel »

I stand corrected then.
AAR WITW: Gotterdammerung 43-45
tm.asp?m=4490035
AAR WITE: A Clash of Titans 41-45
tm.asp?m=4488465
WitE 2 Tester and Test Coordinator
User avatar
morvael
Posts: 11763
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:19 am
Location: Poland

RE: Soviet industry pointers

Post by morvael »

In the pool equipment is separate from manpower. Just the hardware. In units the two are joined together.
User avatar
AlexSF
Posts: 184
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:20 am
Location: France

RE: Soviet industry pointers

Post by AlexSF »

About manpower;
Let's say a game where the Soviet keeps Moscow but loses Leningrd and the Ukraine including Rostov in end of 1941. He is down roughly from 3660 to 3200 in manpower, right?
Given that it seems that manpower and not ARM/HI is the critical factor now where would you say the threshold is before the Soviets can't make a come back? 3200 in manpower? 3000?
"My centre is yielding. My right is retreating. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Maréchal Foch, 1914.
Stelteck
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:07 pm

RE: Soviet industry pointers

Post by Stelteck »

What is come back for you ?

If you are thinking of counter attacking the german and going on the offensive, the soviet can do that even when loosing everything.

But it will be still be a huge defeat for victory points in the bitter end scenario for example.
Brakes are for cowards !!
User avatar
AlexSF
Posts: 184
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:20 am
Location: France

RE: Soviet industry pointers

Post by AlexSF »

By come back I mean taking Berlin in 45 without finding myself short of manpower (with too much ARM for my available manpower basically)
"My centre is yielding. My right is retreating. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Maréchal Foch, 1914.
Post Reply

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”