ORIGINAL: Ian R
Reading this thread just reinforces my opinion that house rules limiting allied bombers to above 10k ft are a sop to the JFBs - for game reasons, not reality.
Has anyone got some real objective evidence to support the allied bombers being restricted to going high?
Timotheus and Barb - I'm looking at you. Surely you have some references to backup your claims, so please link them so we can have a look.

This isn't going to be easy...
The way I look at things like this have to do with the limitation of the code as it is written. Its generally done as a 'one size fits all' so to speak. So bombing is bombing, no such thing a bombing an airfield is different from bombing a city. Is different from bombing a TF, etc.
I think its common knowledge here that the more bombs an A/C carries the better a chance of a hit. Now that works fine when you're bombing a city, but not so much when bombing a TF. IOW, if I 'walk' a sting of bombs through a city what one misses the next may hit something. When it comes to a TF, if I walk bombs across it a miss is basically a miss, no matter how many bombs are in the sting. At best you'll get one hit per plane. Hence the restriction of the reduced bomb load when bombing from 1k'. If not too many hits.
Now when it comes to HB's they carry a good number of bombs, and therefore have a greater chance of multiple hits. By restricting their altitude these number of hits will be diminished, which will reflect their chance of hits to a more accurate level.
Now I'm not disparaging the game or how the code is written. Things have to be as they are for many reasons, and one of them is economics. If the game is written to accommodate each instance it would take forever code (if that is even possible) and cost a fortune. Most of us don't have pockets like the Pentagon to dive into.[:D]
Of course all this is JMHO as I perceive things. Just as it is for your outlook.








