Best Way to knock out an airfield

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

User avatar
Capocarro94
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:10 pm

RE: Best Way to knock out an airfield

Post by Capocarro94 »

ORIGINAL: Gunner98
So in this way, a carpet bombing is totally useless. Bombing a narrow strip like a runway with 20/30/40 free-fall bombs might have a sense, but if the runway have "point-like shape"

Am not 100% certain but I don't think it works that way. In the DB entry you have a length, width & area, and as you noted earlier the orientation can be set but the scenario designer.

So I believe that the full shape of the target area is being considered when damage is calculated, not a single point.


Image

Ok ... thanks for the quick replay.

So, if you are targeting and attacking against the runways/taxiways of an air base, and you are checking with the real counterpart (satellite imagery in the game or Google Earth) but the runway/taxiway structure is positioned, erroneously, in the default orientation (0 ° degrees) you are thinking of approaching and flying over the runway/taxiway with the same orientation/heading, but actually with an angle of 90 ° perpendicular to it. This can be misleading!
User avatar
SeaQueen
Posts: 1436
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:20 am
Location: Washington D.C.

RE: Best Way to knock out an airfield

Post by SeaQueen »

ORIGINAL: Capocarro94
I mean that in CMO, and previously in CMANO, Runways and Taxiways don't have a horizontal extension as the real counterpart (is reported their length in the DB, I know) but in reality have a "point shape".

I don't believe that's entirely true. My understanding is that the bomb drop is handled statistically, so while there isn't a graphical representation on the map of the runway's dimensions, that doesn't necessarily mean it's useless, either. It's just that it's abstracted. I've found that including satellite photo overlays of airbases helps the visualization, but it's not really necessary.
Post Reply

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”