Russian balance

Warplan is a World War 2 simulation engine. It is a balance of realism and playability incorporating the best from 50 years of World War 2 board wargaming.

Moderator: AlvaroSousa

User avatar
sveint
Posts: 3837
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Glorious Europe

RE: Russian balance

Post by sveint »

Another example. The Western Allies are doing catastrophically bad, UK is conquered, a landing in Spain is getting crushed.
And yet the Soviets are fine and have a huge number of armor under production, even beyond the pre-named ones.

Image
Attachments
a.jpg
a.jpg (174.92 KiB) Viewed 614 times
User avatar
ncc1701e
Posts: 10725
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:50 pm
Location: Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards

RE: Russian balance

Post by ncc1701e »

Barbarossa started in 1941 or later?
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
User avatar
sveint
Posts: 3837
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Glorious Europe

RE: Russian balance

Post by sveint »

Above was standard Barbarossa (but with a few Germans in the UK).

But here is a counter-point. I've had a horrible game as Germany, and I'm playing a very experienced player, yet I am making very good progress in Russia:

Image
Attachments
a.jpg
a.jpg (106.43 KiB) Viewed 614 times
User avatar
stjeand
Posts: 2702
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:14 pm
Location: Aurora, NC

RE: Russian balance

Post by stjeand »

Sadly I can only comment on my game experiences.
I don't know how others play...and some of the games you are displaying seem to be way off.

No idea how the USSR can have so many aircraft and mech/armor with the UK conquered unless the Axis just did not bother in the USSR which clearly they did not. Then the USSR would be fine overall. But that is way out of the norm.



I think we need to focus on the more historical play not the weird.

Invasion of the USSR in April/May of 41 with 10 mech/armor...UK intact and Africa being fought over.
Nirosi
Posts: 2433
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:01 pm

RE: Russian balance

Post by Nirosi »

Invasion of the USSR in April/May of 41

Is that not the problem with the USSR, Barbarossa is rarely historical? Axis invade often 3-5 turns earlier than historical. And then of course they should do better (if not then that will be a problem). If there is an imbalance it might be how easy it is to attack that early, especially the April attacks...
User avatar
stjeand
Posts: 2702
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:14 pm
Location: Aurora, NC

RE: Russian balance

Post by stjeand »

Add to that they always get a clear or cold turn in Oct - Dec and get another attack in.

The winter is VERY light.
CHINCHIN
Posts: 675
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:42 am

RE: Russian balance

Post by CHINCHIN »

ORIGINAL: stjeand

Add to that they always get a clear or cold turn in Oct - Dec and get another attack in.

The winter is VERY light.
I agree.

After several turns of snow in Russia, sometimes there is a clear turn in which the axis player goes on an offensive as if it were August. Snow on the ground and extreme temperatures are not taken into account.

In the Arctic, and Arctic Circle areas, from October 15 to March 15, it should be rain for the best possible weather.
My native language is Spanish, and no English language mastery, sorry.
User avatar
AlvaroSousa
Posts: 12127
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:13 pm
Contact:

RE: Russian balance

Post by AlvaroSousa »

Arctic zones gets no clear weather in Dec, Jan, Feb, and only 10% in March.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
User avatar
ncc1701e
Posts: 10725
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:50 pm
Location: Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards

RE: Russian balance

Post by ncc1701e »

ORIGINAL: AlvaroSousa

Arctic zones gets no clear weather in Dec, Jan, Feb, and only 10% in March.

20% in November and March according to the Weather Zone Data.pdf:

Image
Attachments
weather.jpg
weather.jpg (63.36 KiB) Viewed 614 times
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
canuckgamer
Posts: 1153
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:20 am

RE: Russian balance

Post by canuckgamer »

In our PBEM game we got some blizzard turns around Stalingrad when the weather zone pdf indicated zero possibility of that happening.

It is the end of May 43 and the Axis hold Moscow and are driving on Baku. We are still fighting in Tunisia, North Africa, and east of Alexandria in Syria. The Axis have also retaken Iraq.

I have had a tough time with the Russians even with the changes to terrain in one of the patches. The revision of the shattered rule has so far only added one USA unit to the deployment queue.

I made this suggestion before but I think the Russian units appearing in December 41 arriving from Siberia should all be winterized. It would be historical and allow the Russians to conduct a limited counteroffensive in the winter of 41/42 (also historical) to throw the Axis back from Moscow. In our game they took Moscow in the spring of 42 since they were only 2 or 3 hexes away when winter hit in 41.

This is our 3rd PBEM game and the Axis have never declared Vichy or invaded Yugoslavia and Greece.
User avatar
ncc1701e
Posts: 10725
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:50 pm
Location: Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards

RE: Russian balance

Post by ncc1701e »

ORIGINAL: canuckgamer

I made this suggestion before but I think the Russian units appearing in December 41 arriving from Siberia should all be winterized. It would be historical and allow the Russians to conduct a limited counteroffensive in the winter of 41/42 (also historical) to throw the Axis back from Moscow.

+1 but since it is not possible to change the advancement of an unit later, I would suggest to keep the Siberian Tank untouched. I prefer Elite for them.
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
User avatar
stjeand
Posts: 2702
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:14 pm
Location: Aurora, NC

RE: Russian balance

Post by stjeand »

Yes and that absolutely crushes the USSR, cold / clear...same for ground combat from what I can see.

Then I have seen the opposite...Rain all May and that is horrific the Axis although more in line with history.


I wonder if holding back the invasion until June would change everything. I suspect so.
CHINCHIN
Posts: 675
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:42 am

RE: Russian balance

Post by CHINCHIN »

I think hardening the climate in the Arctic areas would be good.
My native language is Spanish, and no English language mastery, sorry.
User avatar
ncc1701e
Posts: 10725
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:50 pm
Location: Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards

RE: Russian balance

Post by ncc1701e »

What makes me laugh up front is that once the Road of Life script is resolved, I'm sure to see a thread on how easy it is to capture Leningrad.

Image
Attachments
leningrad.jpg
leningrad.jpg (132.8 KiB) Viewed 617 times
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
Nirosi
Posts: 2433
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:01 pm

RE: Russian balance

Post by Nirosi »

I made this suggestion before but I think the Russian units appearing in December 41 arriving from Siberia should all be winterized.

I would also like that if only to see this specialization used!
User avatar
ncc1701e
Posts: 10725
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:50 pm
Location: Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards

RE: Russian balance

Post by ncc1701e »

Back on the weather, I think it is important to mention frozen rivers. In Arctic zone, in snow, blizzard, cold turns, winterized countries should not be penalized by river crossing since rivers are frozen.
That should help the Russians a little bit to counter attack in winter. But, it should also help the Finns. [;)]
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
User avatar
ncc1701e
Posts: 10725
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:50 pm
Location: Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards

RE: Russian balance

Post by ncc1701e »

ORIGINAL: Nirosi
I made this suggestion before but I think the Russian units appearing in December 41 arriving from Siberia should all be winterized.

I would also like that if only to see this specialization used!

From the manual:
Winter Combat — The unit is trained with special winter combat tactics and equipment that allow them to fight better in snow or blizzard weather. They gain a 100% bonus in combat during these weather conditions.


What does it mean? What is a 100% bonus?
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
Nirosi
Posts: 2433
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:01 pm

RE: Russian balance

Post by Nirosi »

What does it mean? What is a 100% bonus?

My understanding is that you get the winter penalty attacks normally, and then double from there. So if you lose 50% (bliz), you get it back basically. But if you lose 35% (snow), then you end-up fighting at 130% of normal strength (100-35= 65x2=130).

But it would be nice if Alvaro can confirm this interpretation.
Nirosi
Posts: 2433
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:01 pm

RE: Russian balance

Post by Nirosi »

In Arctic zone, in snow, blizzard, cold turns, winterized countries should not be penalized by river crossing since rivers are frozen.

I believe now that they are considered frozen (for all) only in blizzard?
User avatar
ncc1701e
Posts: 10725
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:50 pm
Location: Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards

RE: Russian balance

Post by ncc1701e »

ORIGINAL: Nirosi
In Arctic zone, in snow, blizzard, cold turns, winterized countries should not be penalized by river crossing since rivers are frozen.

I believe now that they are considered frozen (for all) only in blizzard?

You are right this is only in blizzard turns. I forgot.
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
Post Reply

Return to “WarPlan”