Rail and road movement

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
goodwood
Posts: 130
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 6:31 am
Location: Pakenham OZ

RE: Rail and road movement

Post by goodwood »

A military road Convoy Melbourne to Darwin take eight days how long would it take a ship?
User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: Rail and road movement

Post by Mr.Frag »

Whats your problem with Oz & Froggy?
User avatar
goodwood
Posts: 130
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 6:31 am
Location: Pakenham OZ

RE: Rail and road movement

Post by goodwood »

sorry your comment has gone right over my head[&:] no probs with the Oz bit but Froggy?
User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: Rail and road movement

Post by Mr.Frag »

Aimed at Fallschirmjager ... good thing it cleared your head [:D]
User avatar
goodwood
Posts: 130
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 6:31 am
Location: Pakenham OZ

RE: Rail and road movement

Post by goodwood »

Cool I have actually driven in a military convoy from mel to darwin. all sealed roads when I did it, but most of the roads in war time Oz would have been gravel, I think it would have been less injoyable exerience, and less so for the dopey dudes in the back, alot of dirt to eat[:D]

My grammar and spelling yuk, its too early for a Sunday morning
User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: Rail and road movement

Post by Mr.Frag »

Most of Oz has Rail and/or Road except for a few little places that were really off the beaten path. Noumea has road speed.
User avatar
Fallschirmjager
Posts: 3555
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2002 12:46 am
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee

RE: Rail and road movement

Post by Fallschirmjager »

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

Whats your problem with Oz & Froggy?

Overland movement is still too slow. UV assumes that they would be walking. I am contending that they would have sufficient trucks to move them at a much quicker rater...especialy if the Japanese landed on the shore. In that case every vehicle that could be commandered would be taken to move men to repel the invasion.

I guess I should play WiTP and test movement rates before passing judgement. But in UV I find travel in those two areas to be too slow.
User avatar
goodwood
Posts: 130
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 6:31 am
Location: Pakenham OZ

RE: Rail and road movement

Post by goodwood »

I have n't noticed but is there Rail in UV?
Mike Scholl
Posts: 6187
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:17 am
Location: Kansas City, MO

RE: Rail and road movement

Post by Mike Scholl »

ORIGINAL: goodwood

A military road Convoy Melbourne to Darwin take eight days how long would it take a ship?
IS THIS A CURRENT FIGURE? Or based on the road net that existed in 1941? From
what I've seen of war-time maps, getting to Darwin from almost anywhere was a real
problem except by ship.

I would agree that based on my experiance in UV the road movement rate up the
east coast of Australia seems a bit slow. But one thing to remember when saying
it shouldn't be that biG a deal to move a unit by land is cost. One liberty ship can
move 10,000 tons of cargo from one port to another at about 8 kts per hour. It
would take 4,000 2 and 1/2 ton trucks to move the same amount...requiring 8,000
truck personel and a lot of gas and rubber. Ships are MUCH MORE EFFICIENT.

Trains are a good deal better than trucks if the engines and rolling stock are available
to meet your needs. Eight trains carrying 1000 tons each and using 24 crewmen could
do the job much cheaper than trucks. But ships are still more effecient if routing will
allow it. That's why you see dozens of "ore ships" on the Great Lakes rather than
hundreds of "ore trains" passing through Chicago.
User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: Rail and road movement

Post by Mr.Frag »

I guess I should play WiTP and test movement rates before passing judgement. But in UV I find travel in those two areas to be too slow.

180 miles a day on rail, 120 on roads. It doesn't get better then that.
User avatar
Fallschirmjager
Posts: 3555
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2002 12:46 am
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee

RE: Rail and road movement

Post by Fallschirmjager »

ORIGINAL: goodwood

I have n't noticed but is there Rail in UV?

No
There is trail and there is paved road.
In all cases movement speed for infantry is assumed to not have trucks. What I have been trying to get across in 10 posts now [:'(] is that since these are both rear area bases...there would be enough trucks lying around to haul men to wherever they needed to go ALOT faster than the movement speeds in UV.
User avatar
Fallschirmjager
Posts: 3555
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2002 12:46 am
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee

RE: Rail and road movement

Post by Fallschirmjager »

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag
I guess I should play WiTP and test movement rates before passing judgement. But in UV I find travel in those two areas to be too slow.

180 miles a day on rail, 120 on roads. It doesn't get better then that.

Ok
Haha
That is what I was wanting to know all along.
Those look good to me.
User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: Rail and road movement

Post by Mr.Frag »

Ok
Haha
That is what I was wanting to know all along.
Those look good to me.

[:D]

Asking helps. I just went through the whole thread. No one actually asked for the movement rates. [;)]
User avatar
goodwood
Posts: 130
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 6:31 am
Location: Pakenham OZ

RE: Rail and road movement

Post by goodwood »

Hi Mike I would agree with you about road movement, I can't speak for the wartime days but I drove through the middle of Oz in the early 70s, the roads were pretty ordinary once you got a few hundred kilometre north and west of Adelaide. The east coast roads would have been seal to Brisbane I think, the rail to Darwin didn't exist, in fact the planned wartime rail link from adelaide to darwin was just completed a year ago. [:D] Rail from Melbourne to Brisbane had three different gauges.
User avatar
goodwood
Posts: 130
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 6:31 am
Location: Pakenham OZ

RE: Rail and road movement

Post by goodwood »

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag
Ok
Haha
That is what I was wanting to know all along.
Those look good to me.

[:D]

Asking helps. I just went through the whole thread. No one actually asked for the movement rates. [;)]

Funny about that.[X(] That's about 3 days From Melbourne to Sydney by rail, if you take all marshalling and loading and unloading at each end and dispersal of men and supplies .it sounds a fair time to me.l
User avatar
Fallschirmjager
Posts: 3555
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2002 12:46 am
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee

RE: Rail and road movement

Post by Fallschirmjager »

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag
Ok
Haha
That is what I was wanting to know all along.
Those look good to me.

[:D]

Asking helps. I just went through the whole thread. No one actually asked for the movement rates. [;)]

That would of been too easy [8|]
emorbius44
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 7:48 pm

RE: Rail and road movement

Post by emorbius44 »

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

I found the move speeds in UV on the slow side.
4 miles a day on an trail hex was IMO way too slow.


If you haven't read it yet read Frank's "Guadalcanal" to get an idea of just how bad things were. The treck the 2nd divsion made to get into position to attack Henderson field was agonizingly slow. Same with New Guinea. This was miserable terrain and "trails" included swift flowing streams, razor shark grass, gullies and hills crocodiles, etc. I think the march rate is pretty reasonable.

Bob
User avatar
DoomedMantis
Posts: 1357
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

RE: Rail and road movement

Post by DoomedMantis »

I thought it was 90 per day on rail, and 30 on roads?
I shall make it a felony to drink small beer.

- Shakespeare
emorbius44
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 7:48 pm

RE: Rail and road movement

Post by emorbius44 »

It would be nice if we could get some actual figures on the fighting in New Guinea.
If someone can prove that they did indeed move at those speeds then It would increase my enjoyment about that aspect of the game.
I know New Guinea is one of the most rural places on earth. But I guess I had a vision of a trail that was more like a dirt road than anything.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Picture the path in the mines of moria from lord of the rings only muddied up with 200 inches of rain a year.

Bob
madmickey
Posts: 1336
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:54 pm
Location: Calgary, Alberta

RE: Rail and road movement

Post by madmickey »

You can not measure distance in New Guinea as the crow flies. Not only are the path small, but what look like 30 miles distance may invovles 90 miles of marching.
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”