UV retrofit

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
freeboy
Posts: 8969
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 9:33 am
Location: Colorado

RE: UV retrofit

Post by freeboy »

This goes to the qa theme from Matrix... they are the best.. Note some others do not do upgrades.. some do.. one that comes to mind is Combat missions..( Battlefront Games) while people port over their fav scens to the newest version. the lack of backward conversion left me less than thrilled with the company( not the product which is awesome). Panzer Campaigns does do "retrofits' keeping myself and others happy

So I would askt who could want for more .. a game associated with gg and matrix qa(quality assurance). You most definately will see upgrades to this game after gold.. my prediction[:D]
"Tanks forward"
User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: UV retrofit

Post by Mr.Frag »

How about they PROMISED us one after the WitP release. We were told there would be one more patch that would retrofit as many of the WitP improvements as possible back to UV.

Just curious Damien, who made that statement? I don't remember ever seeing it. Not saying it didn't happen, it's just rather unusual for companies to state such things.
User avatar
Toro
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2002 6:33 pm
Location: 16 miles southeast of Hell (Michigan, i.e.), US

RE: UV retrofit

Post by Toro »

I also wonder if such a statement was made before WitP morphed into a different animal. Originally, it was UV based. It may be OBE now.
ZOOMIE1980
Posts: 1283
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:07 am

RE: UV retrofit

Post by ZOOMIE1980 »

ORIGINAL: Damien Thorn
ORIGINAL: ZOOMIE1980
ORIGINAL: pad152

If 2by3/matrix plans on doing a Med game, would it be based on the UV engine (30 mi per hex) or Witp (60 mi per hex)? Is there any future in the UV game engine? I think this may factor in new UV improvements.

Why spend much of any time at all making significant modifications to a game that has run its sales course? Major mods won't generate additional new sales so why bother? It's not like we are purchasing a long term maintenance contract with these games or anything.

God, zombie, you sound like a marketing weasel with the above statment. Very disappointing.
You guys want a reason to make another patch for UV? How about they PROMISED us one after the WitP release. We were told there would be one more patch that would retrofit as many of the WitP improvements as possible back to UV.

Well, there is one and ONLY one viable reason to EVER go into business. And that includes the computer gaming business.

To make money, period. If the work does not have much hope of generating additional profit, short or long term for the company then the work is a waste of time. 2X3 is NOT a hobby for its principals, it is a business. If they indeed "promised" a post WitP patch, then they have their reputation at stake, which can be directly tied to long term profitablity. But I don't recall such a promise, and regardless, from what I understand, most of what is now in WitP is not possible to backport into UV without a near total rewrite of the internals.

Don't hold your breath.....
Damien Thorn
Posts: 1107
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:20 am

RE: UV retrofit

Post by Damien Thorn »

ORIGINAL: ZOOMIE1980

Well, there is one and ONLY one viable reason to EVER go into business. And that includes the computer gaming business.

To make money, period. If the work does not have much hope of generating additional profit, short or long term for the company then the work is a waste of time.

From that thinking it is only a small step to say that a company should only be in business to MAXIMIZE their money-making. Thank God 2x3 doesn't think that way or else WitP would never have been made. Purely from a bottom line perspective they should have made another real-time piece of crap (or first person shooter. Both are popular with the drool-crowd). This brings up your next point...
2X3 is NOT a hobby for its principals, it is a business.
It is a business but it is a business of guys who make games because they LIKE it, not because they plan on becoming billionares doing it. In many ways it is a hobby for these people. I remember reading an interview from the one who used to work for SSI (forgot which one) and he said that after a while it stopped being fun when he stopped dealing with the making of games and started dealing with other aspects (like marketing, for example). I think their attitude is "its a hobby and we are lucky enough to be able to make money at our hobby". That's the reason they have provided such great support in the past and that is why I am sure they will continue to do so in the future.
If they indeed "promised" a post WitP patch, then they ve their reputation at stake, which can be directly tied to long term profitablity.

Well, no one used the word "promise". I belive they said they 'intend to' or 'plan to'. So I guess they have an "out" if they need one. I believe they will honor they (at least implied) promise and make at least one more patch.
Don't hold your breath.....

I'm holding it.[;)]
Point Luck
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2002 6:24 pm
Location: East Coast-US

RE: UV retrofit

Post by Point Luck »

We were told there would be one more patch that would retrofit as many of the WitP improvements as possible back to UV.

I heard(read) that there wan not going to be any new patches until WiTP was completed.

Besides that, I would rather see scenarios provided for WiTP modeled after some UV scenarios. I pretty much made up my mind that after still playing UV for 2 years that UV would wind up being another throw away game.

The only reason I bought UV was because when that game was in beta they where already talking about WiTP based on the same engine. UV was just the naval academy now the the real war begins.

I’ve purposely been playing PBEM games with edited UV scenarios that pretty much had every ship plane and LCU’s plus more, all starting the game at the same time, just to practice handling a lot of sh_t
ZOOMIE1980
Posts: 1283
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:07 am

RE: UV retrofit

Post by ZOOMIE1980 »

2X3 is NOT a hobby for its principals, it is a business.
It is a business but it is a business of guys who make games because they LIKE it, not because they plan on becoming billionares doing it. In many ways it is a hobby for these people. I remember reading an interview from the one who used to work for SSI (forgot which one) and he said that after a while it stopped being fun when he stopped dealing with the making of games and started dealing with other aspects (like marketing, for example). I think their attitude is "its a hobby and we are lucky enough to be able to make money at our hobby". That's the reason they have provided such great support in the past and that is why I am sure they will continue to do so in the future.

Yea, and it is business logic like this that cause most gaming companies to wither and die withing a few years of their formation. Again, you go into business to MAKE MONEY, end of story. There is NO OTHER VIABLE reason for ever doing so, so stick to game programing as hobby, then, as that is the environment for doing things you "like" without regard to feeding yourself. 2x3 has a little niche, developing turn based wargames, and their business plan is to MAKE MONEY doing that, not providing you a charitable service! Now that business may very well fail, and taking the tact you suggest just about guarantees that. If doing a PROFITLESS venture like bringing UV up to WitP's engine level, causing the company to LOSE MONEY, is the choice, vs blowing it off so they can move on to other MONEY MAKING ventures, then I say BLOW IT OFF! Because this is about the ONLY company that does this type of game to this level left in the world today. And I'd like to see them stand the test of time.

I'm holding it.[;)]
[/quote]

Sucks to be you, I guess. How blue can you make yourself?
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

RE: UV retrofit

Post by Nikademus »

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag
How about they PROMISED us one after the WitP release. We were told there would be one more patch that would retrofit as many of the WitP improvements as possible back to UV.

Just curious Damien, who made that statement? I don't remember ever seeing it. Not saying it didn't happen, it's just rather unusual for companies to state such things.


It was mentioned a couple times that there would be a retro patch.....but how 'much' of WitP can be feasilby patched to the earlier engine is subject to practicality i would imagine
User avatar
ADavidB
Posts: 2464
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

RE: UV retrofit

Post by ADavidB »

ORIGINAL: Kid

Quik poll , would you rather we patch UV or work on Bomb Alley?

Bomb Alley - I'll play the UV scenario of WitP if I want a later version.

Dave Baranyi
ZOOMIE1980
Posts: 1283
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:07 am

RE: UV retrofit

Post by ZOOMIE1980 »

ORIGINAL: ADavidB
ORIGINAL: Kid

Quik poll , would you rather we patch UV or work on Bomb Alley?

Bomb Alley - I'll play the UV scenario of WitP if I want a later version.

Dave Baranyi

Good point. All the more reason why almost ANY work on UV is a useless waste of time and money for 2X3. The major UV scenarios will all likely be WitP mini-scenarios anyway.... UV indeed is a throw-away game once this one is out.
User avatar
Blackwatch_it
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:10 pm

RE: UV retrofit

Post by Blackwatch_it »

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager
ORIGINAL: Kid

Quik poll , would you rather we patch UV or work on Bomb Alley?

A new WiR

Agree a new WiR
Svar
Posts: 379
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2000 8:00 am
Location: China Lake, Ca

RE: UV retrofit

Post by Svar »

ORIGINAL: Blackwatch_it
ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager
ORIGINAL: Kid

Quik poll , would you rather we patch UV or work on Bomb Alley?

A new WiR

Agree a new WiR

I would also vote for a new WiR, the last one is older than PacWar.
User avatar
dwesolick
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 7:33 am
Location: Colorado

RE: UV retrofit

Post by dwesolick »

Also vote for a new WiR...at BATTALION level...just kidding...regimental will do just fine.[;)]

UV Med wouldn't be bad either.[8D]
"The Navy has a moth-eaten tradition that the captain who loses his ship is disgraced. What do they have all those ships for, if not to hurl them at the enemy?" --Douglas MacArthur
Damien Thorn
Posts: 1107
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:20 am

RE: UV retrofit

Post by Damien Thorn »

ORIGINAL: ZOOMIE1980
Again, you go into business to MAKE MONEY, end of story.

Gee, better not tell that to all the non-profit businesses out there. [8|]

Now that business may very well fail, and taking the tact you suggest just about guarantees that.

Yeah, supporting your product is a sure ticket to failure. [8|] What kind of crack are you smoking? I work for a company that continues to support their products for 10 years after release. If, after WitP has been out for a while, the majority of players is calling for WitP patches instead of UV patches then I can accept that but that doesn't seem to be the case now. They should support the product that is out there now.
... then I say BLOW IT OFF!

Spoken like a guy who didn't even buy UV. We vote with our wallets so since you haven't voted be quiet and let the adults speak.
Sucks to be you, I guess. How blue can you make yourself?

Ever since you came to our forum all you've done is criticize people. You started with the developers' lack of skill and now I see you've branched out from there. Go back to whatever grave you crawled out of, Zombie.
User avatar
siRkid
Posts: 4177
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Orland FL

RE: UV retrofit

Post by siRkid »

I would very much like to see WIR redone.
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

Image
User avatar
GBirkn
Posts: 249
Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 11:54 am
Location: the briny deep

RE: UV retrofit

Post by GBirkn »

I've never played WiR, but it would be interesting to see that in an updated version. I'll probably never even run UV or PacWar once WitP comes out. The Med campaign has never been my cup of tea, but I'd take a close look at Bomb Alley.
"War is the remedy our enemies have chosen, and I say let's give them all they want." -- Gen. W. T. Sherman
User avatar
dwesolick
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 7:33 am
Location: Colorado

RE: UV retrofit

Post by dwesolick »

What is "Bomb Alley" exactly?[&:]
"The Navy has a moth-eaten tradition that the captain who loses his ship is disgraced. What do they have all those ships for, if not to hurl them at the enemy?" --Douglas MacArthur
User avatar
GBirkn
Posts: 249
Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 11:54 am
Location: the briny deep

RE: UV retrofit

Post by GBirkn »

ORIGINAL: dwesolick

What is "Bomb Alley" exactly?

It's a nickname for the Mediterranean naval campaign.

As seen here, for example:

http://www.avalanchepress.com/gameBombAlley.php
"War is the remedy our enemies have chosen, and I say let's give them all they want." -- Gen. W. T. Sherman
User avatar
dwesolick
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 7:33 am
Location: Colorado

RE: UV retrofit

Post by dwesolick »

Gotcha...so Bomb Alley is UV Med, so to speak. Thanks!
"The Navy has a moth-eaten tradition that the captain who loses his ship is disgraced. What do they have all those ships for, if not to hurl them at the enemy?" --Douglas MacArthur
pad152
Posts: 2835
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2000 8:00 am

RE: UV retrofit

Post by pad152 »

Well, there is one and ONLY one viable reason to EVER go into business. And that includes the computer gaming business.

To make money, period. If the work does not have much hope of generating additional profit, short or long term for the company then the work is a waste of time. 2X3 is NOT a hobby for its principals, it is a business. If they indeed "promised" a post WitP patch, then they have their reputation at stake, which can be directly tied to long term profitablity. But I don't recall such a promise, and regardless, from what I understand, most of what is now in WitP is not possible to backport into UV without a near total rewrite of the internals.

Don't hold your breath.....

Want to explain Matrix and (PacWar/Steel Panthers)?

Reguardless I vote for Bomb Alley but, will it use the UV or Witp engine?? If it uses the UV engine then upgrading it and converting it to Bomb Alley may make sense, then matrix has two games to sell(UV II and Bomb Alley). Witp by it's size and time requirements maybe a turn off to some but, a revamped UV and Bomb Alley with TCP/IP play may be a better sell.

Would you buy a revamped UV with a working editor and tcp/ip play?
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”