Laying Mines

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: Laying Mines

Post by Mr.Frag »

ORIGINAL: Xargun
ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag
So I can send it out a hex.. and then next turn send it back to its starting base and it will mine it ?

Yep, just make sure it's Do not Retire on the way or it will dump it's mines there instead [;)]


OK... BTW, does it dump all of its mines in one sweep ?

Xargun

Yes
User avatar
Charles2222
Posts: 3687
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2001 10:00 am

RE: Laying Mines

Post by Charles2222 »

nevermind
User avatar
byron13
Posts: 1594
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2001 8:00 am

RE: Laying Mines

Post by byron13 »

I've already seen the Japanese hit mines at both Rabaul and in Hong Kong (a minesweeper hit one in Hong Kong - HAR!). Any idea what kind of density you would need to maintain before you actually stand a legitimate chance of having something hit? My math was so far off on supply ("Oh, sure. You'll have convoys of 700,000 supply all the time") that I'm afraid I off the mark by a factor of 10 or 100.

You know, I've got another question. I lost a DD to unknown causes, which I'm guessing might have been a mine (or sub). So this made me wonder about submarine mining around PH. How would I know if there are any just waiting for the lovely Lady Lex? I assume that the hex won't show a mine symbol until the field is discovered. Can it be found by, say, recon or ASW search? Or does one only find it when a ship goes Kablooey? If you send a minesweeper out on do not retire for a series of hexes, will it spot minefields?
Image
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”