Rant....sorry to bring up again
Moderator: maddog986
RE: Rant....sorry to bring up again
I don't get the VAT issues, in Canada we pay 15% tax on everything we buy, you don't see us ranting and raving about it.
Taxes are the price of living in a civilized society. If you don't like them, go stay with the Yanks [:'(]
As far as War in the Pacific goes, it is a Advanced Grognard game that will very likely still be getting played 5 years after you install it. Name something else that you can get 5 years out of for $100 so I can go buy it too.
Taxes are the price of living in a civilized society. If you don't like them, go stay with the Yanks [:'(]
As far as War in the Pacific goes, it is a Advanced Grognard game that will very likely still be getting played 5 years after you install it. Name something else that you can get 5 years out of for $100 so I can go buy it too.
- W Thorne_MatrixForum
- Posts: 97
- Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:11 am
- Location: Houston
RE: Rant....sorry to bring up again
Taxes are the price of living in a civilized society. If you don't like them, go stay with the Yanks
Man that is a low blow!
RE: Rant....sorry to bring up again
ORIGINAL: Paul Wykes
I purchased uncomman valor from there for £29.99 (including the infamous VAT) as well as titans of steel. I can see the need to charge higher prices for such quality titles. So £38.99 for WiTP seems fine to me (I suppose the increase reflects the larger title???)...but the VAT then kills it (yes, I know VAT is not matrix fault) I feel it is a shame that such titles are not avialable on justplaynow (for example), priced competively. No doubt there was a commercial decision not to sell the titles at such outlets.
To be honest, I'd pay the extra just to avoid the need for seperate patches. LarkinVB's comments on the next ToS patch don't exactly inspire confidence, "I fear for the worst. Two versions, not simultaneous. Its beyond my control. ! And the situation with the GMX version of Squad Assault was just farcical.
RE: Rant....sorry to bring up again
ORIGINAL: W Thorne
Taxes are the price of living in a civilized society. If you don't like them, go stay with the Yanks
Man that is a low blow!
Standard comment from yuropeans and canadians...

- W Thorne_MatrixForum
- Posts: 97
- Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:11 am
- Location: Houston
RE: Rant....sorry to bring up again
ORIGINAL: Reiryc
ORIGINAL: W Thorne
Taxes are the price of living in a civilized society. If you don't like them, go stay with the Yanks
Man that is a low blow!
Standard comment from yuropeans and canadians...
lol
I was a Canadian once. Got to the States and Texas as fast as I could.
RE: Rant....sorry to bring up again
Wages in the UK and Germany are generally higher than the United States. It's a well known fact that European companies outsource a lot of work to the US because of lower labor cost. This is probably why the price is higher over there.

________________________________________
I feal so dirty when I sink convoys with 4E bombers, makes porn feal wholsome. - Brady, Founding Member of the Japanese Fanboy Club
RE: Rant....sorry to bring up again
Really[&:]
I thought it was the other way round. Which was way so may US companies are setting up over here and so many UK professional and health staff are heading west.
I thought it was the other way round. Which was way so may US companies are setting up over here and so many UK professional and health staff are heading west.
Didz
Fortis balore et armis
Fortis balore et armis
RE: Rant....sorry to bring up again
Maybe for doctors it's better in the US, I'm talking about normal everyday workers... this is why stuff cost so much in Germany.

________________________________________
I feal so dirty when I sink convoys with 4E bombers, makes porn feal wholsome. - Brady, Founding Member of the Japanese Fanboy Club
- Cmdrcain
- Posts: 1161
- Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: Rebuilding FLA, Busy Repairing!
- Contact:
RE: Rant....sorry to bring up again
ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag
Taxes are the price of living in a civilized society. If you don't like them, go stay with the Yanks [:'(]
LOL! [:D][:D]
You THINK that USA is less taxed?
While Our sales Tax are lower like 5-7 pct unless I think you live in Taxuchutts, Some states add an Income tax, whch would be on top of your Federal Income tax, theres Gas taxes, then theres other Added taxes like on Booze and tobacco, then theres taxes like Property taxes, Intangiable taxes (a tax on things like stocks you own...)
Worse is that theres tax on tax on tax like you buy gas you pay both a Gas tax in the price plus a sales tax which taxes the item plus its included gas tax so your paying sales tax on the gas tax amount!
Toss in the various "fees" out Govt requires for many things
like yearly renewal of Car tags, those "fees" are in reality TAXS.
[&o][&o] [:'(]
You Think USA isn't as bad tax wise, please... if I could go where I'd just pay 15 pct tax on what I buy and no other taxes I'd love it, f course canada has other taxes sides the 15 pct...
And your 15 pct pays for more welfare stuff where USA gives us less welfare... lose job? likely lose house and wander...
Grummphhh
Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!

Battlestar Pegasus

Battlestar Pegasus
RE: Rant....sorry to bring up again
Only two things in life are certain: death and taxes.

________________________________________
I feal so dirty when I sink convoys with 4E bombers, makes porn feal wholsome. - Brady, Founding Member of the Japanese Fanboy Club
- Cmdrcain
- Posts: 1161
- Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: Rebuilding FLA, Busy Repairing!
- Contact:
RE: Rant....sorry to bring up again
ORIGINAL: WiTP_Dude
Only two things in life are certain: death and taxes.
Nope
In Life it is certain:
TAXES then Death and MORE Taxes After Death cause your ESTATE is taxed... [:-][:D][:'(][:'(]
Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!

Battlestar Pegasus

Battlestar Pegasus
- Belisarius
- Posts: 3099
- Joined: Sat May 26, 2001 8:00 am
- Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
- Contact:
RE: Rant....sorry to bring up again
ORIGINAL: Cmdrcain
ORIGINAL: WiTP_Dude
Only two things in life are certain: death and taxes.
Nope
In Life it is certain:
TAXES then Death and MORE Taxes After Death cause your ESTATE is taxed... [:-][:D][:'(][:'(]
Not to mention that your heirs get to pay taxes on whatever little sorry amount remains of your fortune. [:@] Government sanctioned theft.
/moving
- Cmdrcain
- Posts: 1161
- Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: Rebuilding FLA, Busy Repairing!
- Contact:
RE: Rant....sorry to bring up again
ORIGINAL: Belisarius
ORIGINAL: Cmdrcain
ORIGINAL: WiTP_Dude
Only two things in life are certain: death and taxes.
Nope
In Life it is certain:
TAXES then Death and MORE Taxes After Death cause your ESTATE is taxed... [:-][:D][:'(][:'(]
Not to mention that your heirs get to pay taxes on whatever little sorry amount remains of your fortune. [:@] Government sanctioned theft.
/moving
Course theres ways around it, at least in USa, like trust's setup so the trust remains after death, if setup before death it's not part of an estate I think...
But yeah, the Govt gets money every way it can, no matter the type of govt thats a given...
Maybe we should invent a time machine, go back to the time the
person who thought up govt lived and kill him /her before the idea of Govt gets set out...
[:D][:D][:D]
Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!

Battlestar Pegasus

Battlestar Pegasus
RE: Rant....sorry to bring up again
The point is that if we buy a game in a retail store a game cost 39€. That price has VAT IINCLUDED so no further cost are added. We also get a box and a manual.
If we buy a game from Matrix store we pay 39€ for a game with VAT EXCLUDED. So the Matrix store is 17.5%, or whatever the VAT is, more expensive than retail stores. No need to debate moore. Of course it is not fun that they sell their games at a higher price than other stores but they are free to charge us wahatever they like.
I will buy Battles in Normandy. At a higher price though, beacause it will only sell through the Matrix store wich is alot more expensive than any other store I would have bought it in if were availible in local stores.
If we buy a game from Matrix store we pay 39€ for a game with VAT EXCLUDED. So the Matrix store is 17.5%, or whatever the VAT is, more expensive than retail stores. No need to debate moore. Of course it is not fun that they sell their games at a higher price than other stores but they are free to charge us wahatever they like.
I will buy Battles in Normandy. At a higher price though, beacause it will only sell through the Matrix store wich is alot more expensive than any other store I would have bought it in if were availible in local stores.
RE: Rant....sorry to bring up again
ORIGINAL: Kung Karl
The point is that if we buy a game in a retail store a game cost 39€. That price has VAT IINCLUDED so no further cost are added. We also get a box and a manual.
If we buy a game from Matrix store we pay 39€ for a game with VAT EXCLUDED. So the Matrix store is 17.5%, or whatever the VAT is, more expensive than retail stores. No need to debate moore. Of course it is not fun that they sell their games at a higher price than other stores but they are free to charge us wahatever they like.
To be honest I don't think we can complain about how much this game costs. Its an expensive game but Matrix know if we want it we will pay the money and they have a big enough number of hardcore gamers willing to pay the price that they aren't going to be worried by one or two of us not wanting to pay over the odds.
My beef at present is still the fact that (assuming I understand the Matrix store data) customers in Europe are still being asked to pay more for this game than customers in the US. However, things are getting better and I notice the EU & UK prices have been adjusted.
Current Prices
US $69.99 equivalent to £37.70 UK or 56.79 EU
UK £38.99 equivalent to $72.42 US
EU 56.99 equivalent to $70.26 US
So even with VAT added the game is cheaper to buy from the US store than either of the European stores.
US store = $69.99 + VAT = $71.16
UK store = $72.42 + VAT = $85.09
EU dtore = $70.26 + VAT = $82.55
So, the worst place to buy it is from the UK store, almost $14 dollars dearer than the US price.
The interesting thing is that if the UK and US prices were VAT inclusive the prices would have been almost the same but I am assuming they still aren't as the pop-up still warns buyers to Please note that all prices listed in the United Kingdom and Euro stores DO NOT include any VAT charges that may apply. At the time of purchase, the exact VAT will be applied based on the customer's ship-to country.
So, my advice is still to buy form the US unless you intend to order the back-up CD. Ordering a physical delivery could attract clearance fee's payable on delivery which will wipe out any saving made.
Didz
Fortis balore et armis
Fortis balore et armis






