Music

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

User avatar
KG Erwin
Posts: 8366
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Cross Lanes WV USA

Post by KG Erwin »

Well, I've found that if you gotta hear Derek Boain's music during game play, the best way to hear them is to d/l the MP3 files and put them in your media player of choice. I got 'em, and they sound like a movie soundtrack. Thank you for your creativity and sensitivity, Derek. If you're not on this forum, then please join in. I want to ask you about your inspirations for the music. I hear a little Private Ryan, a little Gettysburg, and a lot of just you. It's fascinating material. He's freelance, right? Or is he a permanent member of the Matrix team? I'd like to know.
Image
Wild Bill
Posts: 6428
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Smyrna, Ga, 30080

Post by Wild Bill »

Permanent, KG! As permanent as anything in life can be.

He is a musical artist. I'll nudge him over this way so he can read this.

Wild Bill
Image
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Uriel238
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2001 8:00 am
Location: San Francisco

Post by Uriel238 »

"I got 'em, and they sound like a movie soundtrack. Thank you for your creativity and sensitivity, Derek...."

"...Derek's work is rich, full flavored and runs a gammet of emotions from martial to blue..."

Thank you, folks. I appreciate your kind words.

Hans Zimmer (Crimson Tide, The Thin Red Line, Pearl Harbor) is my current favorite source of inspiration, though I also barrow a lot from Danny Elfman, Basil Poledoris and John Williams. Classical sources for inspiration martial include Wagner (of course), Moussorgsky, Tchaikovsky, Beethoven and Chopin. Yes, I borrowed a bit from *Saving Private Ryan* though *Red October* and *Crimson Tide* are more along my preferred listening material.

Incidentally, there've been some minor glitches with the MegaCampaign music in the current Desert Fox release, and I'll try to work with David to get the right pieces to you guys. The megacampaign theme, for example, uses segments of the *Heila Safari!* theme. That's because it was originally supposed to be the Desert Fox theme, where you now hear the Afrika Korps march, and the .mp3 version in the music directory is an rough and unfinished version.

And yes, I plan on continuing work with Matrix for the forseeable future. I'm working presently on Operation: Typhoon and Mega Campaign 2 (also on the East Front) and will be starting on Uncommon Valor soon.

Derek.
Post Reply

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”