Hmm...the cockpit window scheme looks like a Sunderland...tall rectangles on the bottom..horizontal rectangles in the middle and sloping glass on top.
I dunno... I spent quite a bit of time looking at the Sunderland, especially cockpit photos available on the web. At a minimum, Brady's picture has at least 3 non-forward-facing canopy panels and the Sunderland has only two. And the Sunderland cockpit is definitely side-by-side, and Brady's picture is definitely tandem.
It took a lot of digging, but the Z 506 matches closer than anything else I could find.
I dunno... I spent quite a bit of time looking at the Sunderland, especially cockpit photos available on the web. At a minimum, Brady's picture has at least 3 non-forward-facing canopy panels and the Sunderland has only two. And the Sunderland cockpit is definitely side-by-side, and Brady's picture is definitely tandem.
It took a lot of digging, but the Z 506 matches closer than anything else I could find.
PBYPilot
I don't know take a look at the cockpit on this British Sunderland. If we assume the side panels are open and slid back for the picture (pilot appears in window), the cockpit looks almost identical to Brady's photo.
I don't know take a look at the cockpit on this British Sunderland. If we assume the side panels are open and slid back for the picture (pilot appears in window), the cockpit looks almost identical to Brady's photo.
Jim
Actually when you look into the cockpit, you see the pilot (wearing a life preserver) clearly sitting on the left side of the Sunderland, whereas in Brady's pic, the pilot is clearly on the centerline.
The waist gunner looks like he has a 50 cal. (look at the size of the ammo in the belt). There is clearly another ammo belt and shell ejection hose on the other side..so these look like paired 50 cal waist guns..(also on the Sunderland)
Fished around for an image of a .50 cal. waist gun and this is what I came up with. It looks too small to be a .50 I think, not to mention he's holding it by what appears to be under-slung pistol grips, which have never been on a .50 cal. as far as I know. I think the ammo appears larger than it is due to enclosed feed and ejection tubes for the ammunition belt and brass. I'm not sure of the caliber of the Machine gun, but I'm pretty sure it’s smaller than .50 cal.
I've got to wonder about at least one of the original pictures. In the exterior picture, the dorsal turret is within a couple of feet (less than one turret diameter) of the rear of the pilots' canopy. But in the right most of the original pictures, there's a crewman sitting sideways (to the airplane) at a desk, a bulkhead, 3 vertically mounted bottles (oxygen?), another bulkhead, and then a few more feet before coming to the beginning of the dorsal turret.
Perspectives in pictures can be tricky, but I don't see how they could cram the guy and his radio equipment, the two bulkheads, and the three oxygen bottles into the space between the rear of the canopy and the beginning of the top turret shown in the exterior picture.
Admittedly, the rightmost picture could be looking forward rather than aft. But beyond the gunner there's a large box mounted to the side of the aircraft and then another man sitting sideways at an even larger table with what looks like a navigational tool lying across it lengthwise. So there's at least as much space on the far side of the gunner as there is on the photographers side. In either case it looks like there's substantially more distance between the dorsal gunner and the cockpit than the exterior of the 1007 shows.
Well the "waste" gunner has a beard, and NO allied airfaces allowed that, nor did the Luftwaffe, so I am thinking it is Italian? But that cockpit glazing is nothing like any of the Italian 3 engined aircraft.......................Brady you have done well.
Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.