Wild Bill, Arnhem Scenario sent to you

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

David boutwell
Posts: 347
Joined: Sun May 28, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Haymarket, Virginia, USA

Post by David boutwell »

[QUOTE]Originally posted by idn:
[QB]FYI guys,

It's definitely Arnhem, it's a town in the Netherlands. Locals spell and pronounce it as such.

Arnheim is probably German, it's got definitely nothing to do with the Arnhem of the Market Garden Operation.

idn,

It definitely does have something to do with the Market Gerden Operation. It is one and the same. :) I did some research using the "Arnheim" spelling, and a source stated that "Arnheim" was "from the German".

And I never stated that Arnhem was an English spelling. I stated that Arnhem is spelled that way in English texts.

David Boutwell
User avatar
tracer
Posts: 1841
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2000 10:00 am
Location: New Smyrna Beach, FL USA
Contact:

Post by tracer »

Originally posted by Truckeye:
That place is called "Arnheim", not "Arnhem".

Helpful

Perhaps the locals spell it Arnheim, but on many english maps its Arnhem. Probably along the same lines as your maps say Munchen and ours Munich etc. i did search national geographic and yahoo for the Arnhem spelling and both provided many links to sites spelled the "english" way. interesting to me how the practice of changing the names came to be. i doubt many US cities are "re-named" on maps for the rest of the world. probably to help some dummy pronounce it easier, though i dont see munchen/munich as a good example of that.

'Anglicized' was a term Paul brought up in another thread (which I promised I wouldn't bring up again!); I'm sure there's a similar term in every language.

How many folks here learned in school that the capital if China was Peking? I remember I was in college (about 1980) when they started using Beijing commonly in newscasts, etc...and I wondered why so much was suddenly happening in this city
:rolleyes:
Jim NSB ImageImage
BryanMelvin
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Colorado, USA

Post by BryanMelvin »

Originally posted by David boutwell:


Marauder,

Nice to hear from you again! i don't know if a scenario this complicated will ever be "finished". There are so many things that can be tweaked or manipulated. But, I'm done with "version 1.0", anyway.

David Boutwell

True but this one is well done and the map is fantastic!! ;)
Post Reply

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”