Baa Baa Blacksheep

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
SpitfireIX
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2003 10:19 am
Location: Fort Wayne IN USA

RE: Baa Baa Blacksheep

Post by SpitfireIX »

ORIGINAL: Yamato hugger
ORIGINAL: Captain Ed

I remember watching Quincy did he have a first name I don`t recall anyone calling him anything but Quinc or Quincy I assume Quincy was his last name.[&:]

It was Doctor Quincy, so yes was his last name. Nope, never gave away the mytique of his first name. Very educational show, for the most part.

For the time, yes--however, the series was a lot less explicit and in-depth than, say, CSI (or even Law & Order) because the network was afraid of alienating audience memebers by grossing them out. I was unemployed for most of 1999 and the first half of 2000; during that time I watched reruns of Quincy on A&E. It is instructive to see how medical examiners solved some cases before DNA matching was available.
"I know Japanese. He is very bad. And tricky. But we Americans too smart. We catch him and give him hell."

--Benny Sablan, crewman, USS Enterprise 12/7/41
User avatar
rtrapasso
Posts: 22655
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:31 am

RE: Baa Baa Blacksheep

Post by rtrapasso »

For the time, yes--however, the series was a lot less explicit and in-depth than, say, CSI (or even Law & Order) because the network was afraid of alienating audience memebers by grossing them out. I was unemployed for most of 1999 and the first half of 2000; during that time I watched reruns of Quincy on A&E. It is instructive to see how medical examiners solved some cases before DNA matching was available.

Most of the forensics techniques used there were WAY over the top. My (forensics-trained) friends and i used to get big laughs at some of the things they did on that show (Quincy, ME). Apparently similar stuff goes on at CSI - people think that the police and forensic examiners should be able to crack a case based on what the folks on CSI do. In reality, they probably would spend the entire year's departmental budget on one suicide case.

There was talk some years back of doing a Quincy, ME movie with Jack Klugman. One of my partners was asked to be technical adviser, but nothing ever came of it as Klugman had throat cancer (iirc) and after his operation his voice was pretty much shot.
User avatar
freeboy
Posts: 8969
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 9:33 am
Location: Colorado

RE: Baa Baa Blacksheep

Post by freeboy »

Shows are often fantasy, like one of my favs.. NCIS.. they always solve the cases in days.. good grief.. that is so not real
"Tanks forward"
User avatar
SpitfireIX
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2003 10:19 am
Location: Fort Wayne IN USA

RE: Baa Baa Blacksheep

Post by SpitfireIX »

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso
For the time, yes--however, the series was a lot less explicit and in-depth than, say, CSI (or even Law & Order) because the network was afraid of alienating audience memebers by grossing them out. I was unemployed for most of 1999 and the first half of 2000; during that time I watched reruns of Quincy on A&E. It is instructive to see how medical examiners solved some cases before DNA matching was available.

Most of the forensics techniques used there were WAY over the top. My (forensics-trained) friends and i used to get big laughs at some of the things they did on that show (Quincy, ME). Apparently similar stuff goes on at CSI - people think that the police and forensic examiners should be able to crack a case based on what the folks on CSI do. In reality, they probably would spend the entire year's departmental budget on one suicide case.

This is an unfortunate fact of life for many TV dramas; particularly those about the legal or medical professions, or those about law enforcement or fire-fighting. IRL these activities just are not that interesting most of the time (and can seldom be neatly wrapped up in an hour). Although I try to be open-minded about the level of dramatic license taken in some TV programs, it can be annoying sometimes when I know something is totally incorrect and silly (such as the Doolittle Raiders flying in formation and talking on the radio in Pearl Harbor). I suppose I'm lucky when it comes to medical dramas; I'm a lot less knowledgeable about medicine than I am about many other subjects, so I tend not to see the goofs as often.

There was talk some years back of doing a Quincy, ME movie with Jack Klugman. One of my partners was asked to be technical adviser, but nothing ever came of it as Klugman had throat cancer (iirc) and after his operation his voice was pretty much shot.

Here is an interesting article on Jack Klugman--although I knew that he had regained some ability to speak, and had appeared in a play with Tony Randall, I didn't know that he has returned to television. According to the article, he recently appeared on Crossing Jordan--as a medical examiner. [:D]
"I know Japanese. He is very bad. And tricky. But we Americans too smart. We catch him and give him hell."

--Benny Sablan, crewman, USS Enterprise 12/7/41
User avatar
Captain Ed
Posts: 533
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:53 am
Location: Victoria BC

RE: Baa Baa Blacksheep

Post by Captain Ed »

Hmm the plot thickens
ORIGINAL: rtrapasso
ORIGINAL: Captain Ed

I remember watching Quincy did he have a first name I don`t recall anyone calling him anything but Quinc or Quincy I assume Quincy was his last name.[&:]

From a QUINCY, ME site:
"His first name was never given in the series although he carried a business card which revealed his first initial as R. The series was created by Glen A. Larson."
THE FIRST DAY OF YOUR DIET IS THE HARDEST
THE SECOND DAY IS EASY CAUSE YOU QUIT
User avatar
wild_Willie2
Posts: 2934
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Arnhem (holland) yes a bridge to far...

RE: Baa Baa Blacksheep

Post by wild_Willie2 »

Well, I know something about DNA, (got a master in biotechnology) and the things they sometimes do in CSI are REALLY over the top. First they always find a “perfect” DNA sample (while DNA is unstable AS HELL when exposed to the elements)

Secondly, they do VERY time consuming (and expensive) analyses, in the blink of an eye, and the results are ALWAYS perfect. (Wish it actually would work that way in RL ).

And finally they never have a DNA sequencer, HPLC or gaschromatographer on the FRITZ, (happens a LOT in RL) .

Ah well, at least people get familiarized with DNA, this helps avoiding responses by people like this one:

(Q) Would you buy food containing modified DNA?
(A) I do not want DNA in my food……… [8|][8|][8|]
In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.
User avatar
donkuchi19
Posts: 1063
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:28 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

RE: Baa Baa Blacksheep

Post by donkuchi19 »

At least from watching CSI, many people will think twice about committing a crime because of all of the ways they 'solve' every crime.

(I know my wife feels safer [:D][;)][X(][:D][;)][X(])
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”