Am I the only one?

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
TommyG
Posts: 273
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:51 am
Location: Irvine Ca
Contact:

RE: Am I the only one?

Post by TommyG »

I recommend that you bite the bullet, take a pull on your canteen and play scn 15 as the allies against the AI. You won't play the whole game, after a few months you'll be looking for human opponents. The important thing to remember is that after the first monster turn (figure all day) it gets easier. Once you have loaded a ship and weighed anchor, there isn't much to do. For the first turn, work PH first then the whole map, right to left. One more thing, say goodbye to all other diversions in your life and maybe a few responsibilities.
User avatar
madflava13
Posts: 1501
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Alexandria, VA

RE: Am I the only one?

Post by madflava13 »

Start the main campaign as the Allies. Go to the Phillipines and decide what to do with the ships in the Phillipines only. Give them orders. If you feel you're up to more, go to Australia and do the same. Keep going one area at a time until you get overwhelmed again. Save and exit the game.

Next time you feel up to playing more, go at it until eventually you've gotten all the orders for everything done for that first turn. I know that seems extreme, but it should not take more than a few hours total. For the Allies, you can safely spend less than 2 hours and not mess up that much. Just take it in pieces.

And remember, once you get that first turn done, it's MUCH easier. My average turn is only about 15 minutes, if that, as the Allies. Maybe more if I have some big op planned, but usually about 15 minutes. It's just getting everything in motion that takes awhile.

I know it looks intense, but remember, the save and exit buttons can be your friend!
"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."
Point Luck
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2002 6:24 pm
Location: East Coast-US

RE: Am I the only one?

Post by Point Luck »

No Not really, same age, same gaming experience and I never did get the total hang of PacWar. I Did play the hell out of UV, so I jumped right in.

Recommend you play the allies scen 15, Perferably PBEM. from the very begining of the game start by saving all your units you can (retreating or what I like to call a strategic withdrawal) and work your logistics, stay out of the way IJN, duck and weave as much as you can. By the time the battle of Midway took place if you're lucky you can start to think about turning the tide. You'll also have a pretty good idea how move around the game.
User avatar
jwilkerson
Posts: 8272
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:02 am
Location: Kansas
Contact:

RE: Am I the only one?

Post by jwilkerson »

ORIGINAL: Guderon

Okay, this is hard to admit, but I'm curious if I'm the only one who's in this situation. I bought WitP the day it came out after eagerly anticipating it for a LONG time. But guess what? I haven't actually played it yet.[8|] I eagerly read other people's AARs every day and thoroughly enjoy them. I've attempted to start a game many times, but am simply overwhelmed by it every time. And so you don't think I'm a novice wargamer, I'm pushing 50 [:(] and have been an avid wargamer for about 35 years. I've been playing computer wargames for about as long as there have been computers to play them on and played (and loved) PacWar many, many times. The point is, I'm not easily overwhelmed by any wargame, board or computer, yet this one seems to have my number. Any suggestions on how to get a handle on this monster?


I think I agree with Treespider and TommyG ... the only way to learn the campaign game .. is to play it ... I was expected to play the Japanese from day one ... and it isn't easy when you have no clue how the production / resource system works or how to monitor it ... or where the AI is going to move your stuff ... but you just dive in ... and after a while you figure it out !!!

It will seem overwhelming until you play it ( Sc15 ) for a while ... then it will not - at least at the "mechanics" level.



WITP Admiral's Edition - Project Lead
War In Spain - Project Lead
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16739
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Am I the only one?

Post by Mike Solli »

Play the Japanese. (This is your conscience speaking.)[:'(]
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
jwilkerson
Posts: 8272
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:02 am
Location: Kansas
Contact:

RE: Am I the only one?

Post by jwilkerson »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Play the Japanese. (This is your conscience speaking.)[:'(]


Oh I do ... 750+ PBEM campaign game turns of them to date .... so far only 50 as the Allies ...
WITP Admiral's Edition - Project Lead
War In Spain - Project Lead
User avatar
Crimguy
Posts: 1408
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:42 pm
Location: Cave Creek, AZ

RE: Am I the only one?

Post by Crimguy »

I did the same thing as you. I've never been daunted by any wargame, yet both UV and WitP left me clueless.

After owning the game for about 7 months, I finally did the Coral Sea scen. Learned a lot from it. Then dove into the full WWII scenario. I asked a barrage of questions here on the forum, and finally after a month of game time (mid-late January, 1942) I felt I had a grasp of it.

When playing, make sure you give yourself enough turns to actually see the fruits of your labors. Additionally, I turned the delays down to the minimum on the full scenario to keep me from getting bored. I relied totally on the Combat Summaries, and for basic play it helped a lot. I eventually turned the combat animations back on because I wanted to actually see what was going on.

It's a staggering game, but you'll get the swing of it.
________________________
www.azcrimes.com
<sig removed because I'm a bandwidth hog>
User avatar
riley555a
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:41 am

RE: Am I the only one?

Post by riley555a »

I know it seems hopeless. You should see some of the foolish posts I made when I was new. Go through the tutorial. I recommend reading the manual but in my experience it isn't necessary to read every last bit of it through in detail. What I did when i was new, I played a small scenario and referred to the manual whenever I needed it. Start with a small scenario like 004, everything is set up for you on that scenario. Go through it slowly, don't rush and panick, you'll only slow down your learning if you rush. Whenever you're playing make sure to have a quick reference to the list of ship, ground and air types, that really helps.
Pft,damn the aircraft, full speed ahead....WAIT!....
Image
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”