When I started I played the tutorials, then I looked at one of the other campaign games first, then went to the WWII campaign. Since I started elsewhere that may account for the differance in starting points.Originally posted by James D. Vaughn:
... I start the game, go to Solitaire play, select Campaigns, then World War II, and begin with 4500 pts (4385 after A0). Haven't changed the Battle Points setting at all (it's XXX).
A squad takes points from the Pltn ldr, then the Co Commander, Then A0. I took carefull note of this on a few occassions. C1 draws from C0, then A0. As you take points you can watch where they're coming from in the center column in the unit info space at the bottom of the screen.Yes, I bought most of things individually, or I'd buy a Co then "drop" what I didn't want/couldn't afford, and spent a lot of time re-assigning HQ's.
...
A0 (CinC)
B0 (Co HQ)
C0-3 (Co Plt)
I'm not sure what you mean by "extra points", but the vehicles are worth their weight. On an assault I punched a hole in the enemy line with HTs with paired LMGs (Ger 251/class). The first and second Pltns hit on a narrow front, opened the line, and turned in opposite directions to widen the gap. Then the trucks (MOT, Opals) went through the opening. Of course this was all accompanied by armor, artillery and mobile flak units mentioned above.I'd love to mech/motr everything -- I agree that mobile defense (quick response units/plts, etc.) are awesome for plugging the gaps, or just relieving some suppressed units. But I don't have enough experience with SPWaW's game system to know how effective/worthwhile the extra points are.
The do a number on armor with the charges they carry as well. The HT Plt(5) I mentioned provides transport for the engineers.I am starting to really like the engineers! Are they the only inf units that get flame throwers? Wow! Seeing a hex full of FF Leg's go up in smoke... ~evil chuckle~
The AI does one or the other, as mentioned above in another post. When it does attack, however, it does put AT guns and MGs out to defend the obj hexes it starts with. You really only need to defend the backfield against other human players.At least again the AI, I don't know how important defense units really are. So far, I've played this first scenario 3 times (the beach assualt), and the AI has never attacked me.
Against the AI, the mobile reserve isn't for counter attack, it's to take rapid advantage of a breach (as with the MOT Inf mentioned above) or to support an advance that's bogging down due to hitting more resistance than expected.
Whew, that was more than I expected to say. That is what I've gleaned from my limited experience so far. (Playing about a month.)
[ November 05, 2001: Message edited by: Challenge ]
[ November 05, 2001: Message edited by: Challenge ]</p>
