OT: Battle of Midway

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
Twotribes
Posts: 6466
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Jacksonville NC
Contact:

RE: OT: Battle of Midway

Post by Twotribes »

People like him dont go to madcows because they arent protected by the moderators and board policy, their uninformed rants and ideas can be dstroyed at Madcows, and thats not the point,
Favoritism is alive and well here.
User avatar
doktorblood
Posts: 561
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:40 am

RE: OT: Battle of Midway

Post by doktorblood »

Image
GaryChildress
Posts: 6933
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: The Divided Nations of Earth

RE: OT: Battle of Midway

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

People like him dont go to madcows because they arent protected by the moderators and board policy, their uninformed rants and ideas can be dstroyed at Madcows, and thats not the point,

Great. I'm accused of having "uninformed rants and ideas" by a guy who can't even complete a sentence with proper punctuation. Pick your knuckles up off the ground Twotribes. (Oh and here's a little winkie to show I'm only kidding and not really engaging in anything political) [;)]
User avatar
ctangus
Posts: 2153
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:34 pm
Location: Boston, Mass.

RE: OT: Battle of Midway

Post by ctangus »

I myself found the "article" humorous.

I think we can safely say, without getting political, that today's media emphasizes the negative. The US news would stress the casualties & other bad news in Iraq whether Bush launched the war or Clinton. (Or FDR or Eisenhower for that matter.) While I personally thought the war in Iraq wasn't justified, I'm sure there are many stories of restoring the infrastructure, etc. that are just not getting reported.

We can see it in our daily papers. The latest fire, murder, rape gets the headlines, but where's the story of the neighborhood minister successfully tutoring children?
Mike Scholl
Posts: 6187
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:17 am
Location: Kansas City, MO

RE: OT: Battle of Midway

Post by Mike Scholl »

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress
Great. I'm accused of having "uninformed rants and ideas" by a guy who can't even complete a sentence with proper punctuation. Pick your knuckles up off the ground Twotribes. (Oh and here's a little winkie to show I'm only kidding and not really engaging in anything political) [;)]

Only thing I'd accuse you of is being wound awfully tight and lacking a sense of humor.
GaryChildress
Posts: 6933
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: The Divided Nations of Earth

RE: OT: Battle of Midway

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress
Great. I'm accused of having "uninformed rants and ideas" by a guy who can't even complete a sentence with proper punctuation. Pick your knuckles up off the ground Twotribes. (Oh and here's a little winkie to show I'm only kidding and not really engaging in anything political) [;)]

Only thing I'd accuse you of is being wound awfully tight and lacking a sense of humor.

Speak for yourself... [:'(]
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

RE: OT: Battle of Midway

Post by Nikademus »

The really interesting point of an article like this has nothing to do with left, right or center. [;)]

Whats interesting (well to me anyway) is how technology affects our perception of war. Whatever one's views, a big reason why press orgs. focus so much on casualties is because technology allows them to bring you a daily snapshot of what's going on. Back in "the day" most Americans in WWII would be lucky to receive vague weekly updates on the war "over there", allowing the press and the government to be as vague as needed (for "morale" purposes) or just report the highlights without dwelling on the human casualties.

Part of the reason why wars occur in the first place is because people get nieve notions about what it entails.....they focus on the adventure or the excitement. (that or with a lack of info....it can be easier be put out of their minds)

WWI is arguably the greatest example of this. Vietnam could arguably be used as an example of the opposite. The North Vietnamese understood this.....bring the war to each American's home, irregardless of who's winning what battles. It has good and bad effects. The good comes in making people realize that war is a messy business that should be avoided if at all possible. The bad comes from some orgs or governments wanting to use it to try to psyche out the "Enemy"

As for the article. I've little doubt that the press would have focused on the TBD slaughter even in victory for the US. lol....can see it now, CNN would devote a whole episode to an "investigative report" on why these brave men had to sacrifice their lives to help bring victory.

Dont see it as right left or center....just human nature + technology (well that and ratings) [:D]
User avatar
pompack
Posts: 2585
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:44 am
Location: University Park, Texas

RE: OT: Battle of Midway

Post by pompack »

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress
Great. I'm accused of having "uninformed rants and ideas" by a guy who can't even complete a sentence with proper punctuation. Pick your knuckles up off the ground Twotribes. (Oh and here's a little winkie to show I'm only kidding and not really engaging in anything political) [;)]

Only thing I'd accuse you of is being wound awfully tight and lacking a sense of humor.

Speak for yourself... [:'(]

Actually I think he was.

Edited to provide flame retardant. Or perhaps just to minimize flame enhancement[:D]
User avatar
mlees
Posts: 2263
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:14 am
Location: San Diego

RE: OT: Battle of Midway

Post by mlees »

I believe that there is a possibility of a reporters opinions affecting the way he/she reports on a topic, even in a country that tries to have accurate news reporting. Afterall, they are only human. Some of it is subtle, or subconsious on the part of the reporter/editor, some of it is deliberately tilted "for" or "against".

If they hold strong feelings against the war in Iraq, for example, then reports of the casualties suffered by both sides (military and civilian) will be presented (deliberately or not) in a manner that will nudge the reader into thinking that they were needlessly tragic (They all are, I find it depressing that humans do this to each other), or criminal.

Whereas in a "just" war, like WW2, the deaths will be a little more leaning towards "tragic, but necessary".

That does not cover the possibility of a "news" agency making stuff up just for ratings... Spanish/American War, anyone?

I try to read/view these articles and reports with that realisation in mind, and come up with my own opinions based on what info I have access to...
GaryChildress
Posts: 6933
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: The Divided Nations of Earth

RE: OT: Battle of Midway

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: pompack
ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl




Only thing I'd accuse you of is being wound awfully tight and lacking a sense of humor.

Speak for yourself... [:'(]

Actually I think he was.

Edited to provide flame retardant. Or perhaps just to minimize flame enhancement[:D]


No kidding. Was he really?

Woops, almost forgot the little winkie. [;)]
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”