Needs new game...

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
keeferon01
Posts: 334
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:50 pm
Location: North Carolina

RE: Needs new game...

Post by keeferon01 »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

HPS Campaign Series is still one of my favorites. Big beautiful maps and lots of units. They cover about a dozen battles now. Playing against the AI is boring but I love email games.

You should check out the new title by HPS then : First Blitzkrieg its part of the total war in europe which will as I read cover the whole of Europe parts of africa at the 10 km hex level I believe with a master map, I bought the game last week and it has a really really good AI plus you can pbem too ofcource.
Speedysteve
Posts: 15990
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Reading, England

RE: Needs new game...

Post by Speedysteve »

ORIGINAL: 2Stepper

Actually I'm going to investigate Empire at war myself. But WITP will stay on my box for gaming as desired. [8D]

Check it out. Addictive. 4 hours of it tonight...must go bed...ok will now.

Night

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
User avatar
Crimguy
Posts: 1408
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:42 pm
Location: Cave Creek, AZ

RE: Needs new game...

Post by Crimguy »

ONe of these days COTA will be out.

Someday [>:]

If you haven't gotten it yet, Highway to the Reich is a great game. Some of the best AI out there. Just wish there were more maps and more varied OOB. Market Garden has been beaten to death.
________________________
www.azcrimes.com
<sig removed because I'm a bandwidth hog>
User avatar
grraven2004
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:14 pm
Location: Cuyahoga Falls OH

RE: Needs new game...

Post by grraven2004 »

I also have been contimplating buying Empire at War as Darth Vader is my hero [&o][&o][&o][&o][&o]
A buddy of mine wants me to get civ 4 but I could never get the hang of civ 3 so its probably a waste of cash for me to get that.
Human by birth

Klingon By choice!

Sig changed per Erik's request
bradfordkay
Posts: 8686
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2002 8:39 am
Location: Olympia, WA

RE: Needs new game...

Post by bradfordkay »

I've been trying to decide between HPS' First Blitzkrieg and Schwerpunkt's Anglo-German War '39-45.

The First Blitzkrieg appears to be the first in a series, which series will cover the whole war but TFB apparently doesn't - at least from what I read on their website and the Wargamer's review.

AGW '39-45 appears to have a full campaign, so is it the ETO version of WITP? It does include a very simplified naval aspect, but it cuts off the Iberian and African coasts (apparently, Ike's troops appear on teh western edge as reinforcements at appropriate times).




Papyrus put out a series of great racing sims. My favorites were Grand Prix Legends (1967 F1), NASCAR Legends (1970 - Superbirds, Daytona Chargers and Talladega Torinos), and NASCAR 2004. Another driving sim I have really enjoyed is Rally Trophy (great choice of cars).

I'll always remember the thrill of battling Richard Petty, David Pearson, Cale Yarbrough and Bobby Isaacs in NL. For a kid who grew up in the 60's and 70's in the southeastern US, these guys were gods. As an eleven year old kid I got to sit in Petty's driver's seat after the race. I don't think that I had a bigger thrill until I discovered sex...

GPL has a huge fanbase and has been modded to the extreme. Someone out out a GPL 1965 mod that uses the 1.5 litre formula of '65 - which cars are mmuch easier to handle than the 400hp 3.o litre cars of '67. I recently read that there are over 100 tracks available through the mods for GPL...
fair winds,
Brad
rroberson
Posts: 2057
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 7:53 am
Location: Arizona
Contact:

RE: Needs new game...

Post by rroberson »

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

I've been trying to decide between HPS' First Blitzkrieg and Schwerpunkt's Anglo-German War '39-45.

The First Blitzkrieg appears to be the first in a series, which series will cover the whole war but TFB apparently doesn't - at least from what I read on their website and the Wargamer's review.

AGW '39-45 appears to have a full campaign, so is it the ETO version of WITP? It does include a very simplified naval aspect, but it cuts off the Iberian and African coasts (apparently, Ike's troops appear on teh western edge as reinforcements at appropriate times).




Papyrus put out a series of great racing sims. My favorites were Grand Prix Legends (1967 F1), NASCAR Legends (1970 - Superbirds, Daytona Chargers and Talladega Torinos), and NASCAR 2004. Another driving sim I have really enjoyed is Rally Trophy (great choice of cars).

I'll always remember the thrill of battling Richard Petty, David Pearson, Cale Yarbrough and Bobby Isaacs in NL. For a kid who grew up in the 60's and 70's in the southeastern US, these guys were gods. As an eleven year old kid I got to sit in Petty's driver's seat after the race. I don't think that I had a bigger thrill until I discovered sex...

GPL has a huge fanbase and has been modded to the extreme. Someone out out a GPL 1965 mod that uses the 1.5 litre formula of '65 - which cars are mmuch easier to handle than the 400hp 3.o litre cars of '67. I recently read that there are over 100 tracks available through the mods for GPL...


I remember GPL when it came out...but I could never track down a copy.

Image
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

RE: Needs new game...

Post by Nikademus »

Having said that Steel Panthers is a great WW2 tactical. Very realistic engine. Srill play it now and have done for a long time

and still getting beaten badly too from what i hear. [:'(]
Speedysteve
Posts: 15990
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Reading, England

RE: Needs new game...

Post by Speedysteve »

Who told you that propaganda?[;)]

I have lost 3 in a row to T!

Shocking I was upto a 65% win ratio
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
User avatar
Oliver Heindorf
Posts: 1911
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 2:49 am
Location: Hamburg/Deutschland

RE: Needs new game...

Post by Oliver Heindorf »

ORIGINAL: rroberson
ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

I've been trying to decide between HPS' First Blitzkrieg and Schwerpunkt's Anglo-German War '39-45.

The First Blitzkrieg appears to be the first in a series, which series will cover the whole war but TFB apparently doesn't - at least from what I read on their website and the Wargamer's review.

AGW '39-45 appears to have a full campaign, so is it the ETO version of WITP? It does include a very simplified naval aspect, but it cuts off the Iberian and African coasts (apparently, Ike's troops appear on teh western edge as reinforcements at appropriate times).




Papyrus put out a series of great racing sims. My favorites were Grand Prix Legends (1967 F1), NASCAR Legends (1970 - Superbirds, Daytona Chargers and Talladega Torinos), and NASCAR 2004. Another driving sim I have really enjoyed is Rally Trophy (great choice of cars).

I'll always remember the thrill of battling Richard Petty, David Pearson, Cale Yarbrough and Bobby Isaacs in NL. For a kid who grew up in the 60's and 70's in the southeastern US, these guys were gods. As an eleven year old kid I got to sit in Petty's driver's seat after the race. I don't think that I had a bigger thrill until I discovered sex...

GPL has a huge fanbase and has been modded to the extreme. Someone out out a GPL 1965 mod that uses the 1.5 litre formula of '65 - which cars are mmuch easier to handle than the 400hp 3.o litre cars of '67. I recently read that there are over 100 tracks available through the mods for GPL...


I remember GPL when it came out...but I could never track down a copy.


I got my copy through ebay for 1 EUR here in Germany.

GPL is still a blast.
User avatar
FeurerKrieg
Posts: 3400
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:43 pm
Location: Denver, CO

RE: Needs new game...

Post by FeurerKrieg »

ORIGINAL: mantill
ORIGINAL: Speedy

Yup. Can't beat Doom 3 at night with lights off. Truly freaky at times.

You can say that again. just got it and it is can be un-nerving at times

So that's why your turns are taking so long lately.... [:D]

I was revisiting some scary games my self, running Silent Hill via playstation emulation on my PC, just finished the first one, starting on Silent Hill 2 this weekend. I have all four sitting here. Love scary games in the dark with headphones. oooooo...scaaaarrryyy
Image
Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks
User avatar
TulliusDetritus
Posts: 5581
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:49 am
Location: The Zone™

RE: Needs new game...

Post by TulliusDetritus »

- Monkey Island I
- Monkey Island II
- Maniac Mansion II
- Alone in the Dark I
- Alone in the Dark II
- Alone in the Dark III

and of course:

- Doom 2

and why not:

- Return To Castle of Wolfenstein Enemy Territory (free game)
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
User avatar
Mynok
Posts: 12108
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2002 12:12 am
Contact:

RE: Needs new game...

Post by Mynok »


Crown of Glory is a very fun Napoleonic strategic-level game. Worth the money.
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
User avatar
Ron Saueracker
Posts: 10967
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece

RE: Needs new game...

Post by Ron Saueracker »

I still fart around with "Tropico". Great break and only takes a few hours. That Russo Japanese War naval sim looks great.
Image

Image

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
bradfordkay
Posts: 8686
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2002 8:39 am
Location: Olympia, WA

RE: Needs new game...

Post by bradfordkay »

Ron, Tropico is one of my favorites as well. Thing is, I'm a pansy - I can never seem to bring myself to try the evil dictator option. The end result is that when I do run into games where I need to make heavy use of the military, it often proves that they aren't too loyal...
fair winds,
Brad
User avatar
crsutton
Posts: 9590
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:56 pm
Location: Maryland

RE: Needs new game...

Post by crsutton »

Thanks for the heads up. I am gonna give it a try.

ORIGINAL: Ron James
ORIGINAL: crsutton

HPS Campaign Series is still one of my favorites. Big beautiful maps and lots of units. They cover about a dozen battles now. Playing against the AI is boring but I love email games.

You should check out the new title by HPS then : First Blitzkrieg its part of the total war in europe which will as I read cover the whole of Europe parts of africa at the 10 km hex level I believe with a master map, I bought the game last week and it has a really really good AI plus you can pbem too ofcource.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”