ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
The IJA forces in Attu are rapidly running out of time. He must commit to pulling them off over the next 48 hours or he'll lose them entirely.
I suspect that Amphib TF you ravaged was there to withdraw the Attu units. If it was just for resupply, why risk an LSD and APs? Since there were no troops on it, I rule out reinforcement efforts.
I doubt he has any reserves left to withdraw the remnants from Attu unless he can land Mavis/Emily transports while you still hold the hex?
No fleet, no problem...
Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition
RE: Offerings to Khorne
+1
"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC
RE: Offerings to Khorne
DW,
Well I don't think Damian will be too surprised. He has mini-KB and 2 major SC TFs in the waters between Port Blair and Rangoon just sitting there, waiting, ready to pounce on my shipping if I try a deep amphibious envelopment. So, he's expecting me to try to break into his operational or strategic depth. He won't be surprised by this move except, perhaps, by its size and composition.
BBfanboy,
I know, I think the same BUT the message I saw onscreen when my BB TF intercepted his transports was that I had "interrupted the unloading of supplies" and they were getting ready to move off. It doesn't really matter though since I've destroyed his ability to offload those troops now and they'll all be dead before he is able to rustle up another FT TF to pull them out.
He'll rescue cadres with Mavis/Emily or just spend a few PP to buy them back into his OOB once they are destroyed. Either way though they won't be able to intervene in the next phase of Northern Front's strategic plan.
Phase 1 was to hold the Aleutians and develop them - accomplished.
Phase 2 is to relieve the Kuriles and be able to maintain the bases there at an acceptable cost.
Phase 3 is to exploit beyond those bases.
Phase 4 will be to attack the Home Islands directly - either with bombers or with an amphibious invasion.
Cribtop,
Aye, I'm sending my single squadron of Wellingtons in. They'll take losses but I can pass it off as an error in not setting their target properly.
Today I saw that the last TF bringing troops from Akyab to Ramree had unloaded the troops it had loaded. I think that I gave orders to move it to Ramree, then changed my mind as I wanted to load a few remnants of armoured units from the OMG onto another TF and forgot to change its orders back to "Do Not Unload".
Ah well, I've given it orders to load again and will wait the extra day. Tomorrow, if all of the loading goes according to plan, I'll be able to move on Ramree.
Central Front - pacific:
The mobile groups continue to make good progress. Using the mapping of enemy search arcs via submarine and avoidant routing I've gotten 20,000 or so troops through their front-line and into bases which they hadn't gotten around to occupying yet. I'm going to build them up till they are 99% of the way to level 1 airfields and Level 1 ports, got the various transport forces ready and then try the 2nd leap forward. So far I've made about 1,000 miles undetected which is rather good going.
I've made one minor effort to run supplies into Pago-Pago ( where 600 AV of US troops are trapped and starving ). It cost me an xAK but I've mapped some more vulnerabilities in the search arcs etc and will try again.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Buldir Island at 156,51
Japanese Ships
SS I-4, hits 9, and is sunk
Allied Ships
DD Gridley
BB Washington
BB North Carolina
BB Oklahoma
BB West Virginia
DD Dunlap
DD Bancroft
DD Aaron Ward
DD Lawrence
DD Smith
DD Fanning
What's left of my battleline is retreating.
SS I-4 launches 4 torpedoes at DD Gridley
DD Lawrence fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Smith attacking submerged sub ....
DD Smith cannot establish contact with SS I-4
SS I-4 eludes ASW attack from DD Smith
SS I-4 forced to surface!
DD Smith firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Fanning firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Lawrence firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Smith firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Fanning firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Lawrence firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Fanning firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Lawrence firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Smith firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Fanning firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Lawrence firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Smith firing on surfaced sub ....
Sub slips beneath the waves
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASW attack near Agattu Island at 155,50
Japanese Ships
SS I-176, hits 5, heavy damage
Allied Ships
DD Aaron Ward
BB Washington
BB North Carolina
BB Oklahoma
BB West Virginia
DD Dunlap
DD Bancroft
DD Lawrence
DD Smith
DD Fanning
SS I-176 launches 4 torpedoes at DD Aaron Ward
DD Lawrence fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Smith attacking submerged sub ....
DD Fanning fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Smith fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Fanning fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Fanning fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Fanning fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Fanning fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Fanning attacking submerged sub ....
SS I-176 eludes ASW attack from DD Fanning
DD Fanning cannot reach attack position over SS I-176
DD Fanning cannot reach attack position over SS I-176
Escort abandons search for sub
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Attu Island (153,49)
Allied Deliberate attack
Attacking force 17900 troops, 271 guns, 180 vehicles, Assault Value = 473
Defending force 5954 troops, 63 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 94
Allied adjusted assault: 233
Japanese adjusted defense: 11
Allied assault odds: 21 to 1
Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), disruption(-), preparation(-), experience(-)
supply(-)
Attacker:
Japanese ground losses:
1180 casualties reported
Squads: 38 destroyed, 36 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 12 disabled
Engineers: 13 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 15 (8 destroyed, 7 disabled)
Allied ground losses:
65 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 15 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Assaulting units:
161st Infantry Regiment
23rd Marine Regiment
182nd Infantry Regiment
147th(Sep) Infantry Regiment
58th (Sep) Infantry Regiment
2nd USMC Parachute Battalion
810th EAB /3
175th USAAF Base Force /1
B Det USN Port Svc
70th Cst AA Rgt /2
II US Fighter Cmnd
101st USN Base Force
428th Coast AA Bn /1
Defending units:
Ichiki Det.
62nd Infantry Group
4th Raiding Regiment
144th Infantry Rgt /2
Japanese Unit(s) surrounded at Attu Island
Japanese Unit(s) Wiped Out at Attu Island by attrition!!!
Hmm, it looks like they may have pulled some remnants out. Good work by Damian to manage any extractions at all in all of that chaos.
Well I don't think Damian will be too surprised. He has mini-KB and 2 major SC TFs in the waters between Port Blair and Rangoon just sitting there, waiting, ready to pounce on my shipping if I try a deep amphibious envelopment. So, he's expecting me to try to break into his operational or strategic depth. He won't be surprised by this move except, perhaps, by its size and composition.
BBfanboy,
I know, I think the same BUT the message I saw onscreen when my BB TF intercepted his transports was that I had "interrupted the unloading of supplies" and they were getting ready to move off. It doesn't really matter though since I've destroyed his ability to offload those troops now and they'll all be dead before he is able to rustle up another FT TF to pull them out.
He'll rescue cadres with Mavis/Emily or just spend a few PP to buy them back into his OOB once they are destroyed. Either way though they won't be able to intervene in the next phase of Northern Front's strategic plan.
Phase 1 was to hold the Aleutians and develop them - accomplished.
Phase 2 is to relieve the Kuriles and be able to maintain the bases there at an acceptable cost.
Phase 3 is to exploit beyond those bases.
Phase 4 will be to attack the Home Islands directly - either with bombers or with an amphibious invasion.
Cribtop,
Aye, I'm sending my single squadron of Wellingtons in. They'll take losses but I can pass it off as an error in not setting their target properly.
Today I saw that the last TF bringing troops from Akyab to Ramree had unloaded the troops it had loaded. I think that I gave orders to move it to Ramree, then changed my mind as I wanted to load a few remnants of armoured units from the OMG onto another TF and forgot to change its orders back to "Do Not Unload".
Ah well, I've given it orders to load again and will wait the extra day. Tomorrow, if all of the loading goes according to plan, I'll be able to move on Ramree.
Central Front - pacific:
The mobile groups continue to make good progress. Using the mapping of enemy search arcs via submarine and avoidant routing I've gotten 20,000 or so troops through their front-line and into bases which they hadn't gotten around to occupying yet. I'm going to build them up till they are 99% of the way to level 1 airfields and Level 1 ports, got the various transport forces ready and then try the 2nd leap forward. So far I've made about 1,000 miles undetected which is rather good going.
I've made one minor effort to run supplies into Pago-Pago ( where 600 AV of US troops are trapped and starving ). It cost me an xAK but I've mapped some more vulnerabilities in the search arcs etc and will try again.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Buldir Island at 156,51
Japanese Ships
SS I-4, hits 9, and is sunk
Allied Ships
DD Gridley
BB Washington
BB North Carolina
BB Oklahoma
BB West Virginia
DD Dunlap
DD Bancroft
DD Aaron Ward
DD Lawrence
DD Smith
DD Fanning
What's left of my battleline is retreating.
SS I-4 launches 4 torpedoes at DD Gridley
DD Lawrence fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Smith attacking submerged sub ....
DD Smith cannot establish contact with SS I-4
SS I-4 eludes ASW attack from DD Smith
SS I-4 forced to surface!
DD Smith firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Fanning firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Lawrence firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Smith firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Fanning firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Lawrence firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Fanning firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Lawrence firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Smith firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Fanning firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Lawrence firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Smith firing on surfaced sub ....
Sub slips beneath the waves
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASW attack near Agattu Island at 155,50
Japanese Ships
SS I-176, hits 5, heavy damage
Allied Ships
DD Aaron Ward
BB Washington
BB North Carolina
BB Oklahoma
BB West Virginia
DD Dunlap
DD Bancroft
DD Lawrence
DD Smith
DD Fanning
SS I-176 launches 4 torpedoes at DD Aaron Ward
DD Lawrence fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Smith attacking submerged sub ....
DD Fanning fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Smith fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Fanning fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Fanning fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Fanning fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Fanning fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Fanning attacking submerged sub ....
SS I-176 eludes ASW attack from DD Fanning
DD Fanning cannot reach attack position over SS I-176
DD Fanning cannot reach attack position over SS I-176
Escort abandons search for sub
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Attu Island (153,49)
Allied Deliberate attack
Attacking force 17900 troops, 271 guns, 180 vehicles, Assault Value = 473
Defending force 5954 troops, 63 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 94
Allied adjusted assault: 233
Japanese adjusted defense: 11
Allied assault odds: 21 to 1
Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), disruption(-), preparation(-), experience(-)
supply(-)
Attacker:
Japanese ground losses:
1180 casualties reported
Squads: 38 destroyed, 36 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 12 disabled
Engineers: 13 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 15 (8 destroyed, 7 disabled)
Allied ground losses:
65 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 15 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Assaulting units:
161st Infantry Regiment
23rd Marine Regiment
182nd Infantry Regiment
147th(Sep) Infantry Regiment
58th (Sep) Infantry Regiment
2nd USMC Parachute Battalion
810th EAB /3
175th USAAF Base Force /1
B Det USN Port Svc
70th Cst AA Rgt /2
II US Fighter Cmnd
101st USN Base Force
428th Coast AA Bn /1
Defending units:
Ichiki Det.
62nd Infantry Group
4th Raiding Regiment
144th Infantry Rgt /2
Japanese Unit(s) surrounded at Attu Island
Japanese Unit(s) Wiped Out at Attu Island by attrition!!!
Hmm, it looks like they may have pulled some remnants out. Good work by Damian to manage any extractions at all in all of that chaos.
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
Well, that's that settled then.
RE: Offerings to Khorne
1st October 1942.
Look what's lurking near Ramree.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASW attack near Ramree Island at 53,49
Japanese Ships
BB Hyuga
BB Ise
CL Oi
CL Kitakami
CL Sendai
DD Hatsushima
DD Ayanami
DD Murakumo
DD Ikazuchi
Allied Ships
SS Trusty, hits 1
SS Trusty is sighted by escort
Trusty bottoming out ....
DD Ayanami fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Murakumo fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Ikazuchi fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Ayanami fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Ayanami attacking submerged sub ....
DD Ayanami fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Ayanami fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Ayanami fails to find sub, continues to search...
Escort abandons search for sub
I think there's another TF centred around Yamato or Musashi here also. There are definitely 2 SC TFs, this one and one with what looks like a BB, 4 CA and a bunch of DDs. This would fit with Damian's SC TF compositions around Attu.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Naval bombardment of Ramree Island at 54,48 - Coastal Guns Fire Back!
Great news!!! He uses up his main gun ammo the day before I move my shipping to Ramree. This will put this TF out of position to intervene. I've been flying air units in and out in a slightly random way for the past while hoping to cause such a bombardment as that would give me a window to move without being intercepted. I move to Ramree tomorrow and, if things look good, the next day I'll just blast down to the Bassein shoreline and unload the tank units.
Allied aircraft
no flights
Allied aircraft losses
Lysander II: 11 damaged
Kittyhawk IA: 1 damaged
P-40E Warhawk: 3 damaged
Hurricane IIc Trop: 4 damaged
Because I'm flying in and out there are always a few planes damaged lying around. The Lysanders are what I use for close-in ASW work since the RAF's bomber formations were just shredded by the Japanese before I took over. Most of the squadrons have 1 to 2 twin-engined bombers or are full but comprise Audax or Lysanders- so I'm using them for training.
Japanese Ships
BB Hyuga
BB Ise
BB Yamashiro
CA Kumano
CA Suzuya
CL Oi
CL Kitakami
CL Sendai
3 BBs eh? Interesting.
Allied ground losses:
898 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 35 destroyed, 113 disabled
Engineers: 3 destroyed, 7 disabled
Guns lost 56 (14 destroyed, 42 disabled)
Vehicles lost 31 (6 destroyed, 25 disabled)
Airbase hits 16
Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 37
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Bering Island at 146,47
Japanese Ships
PB Shotoku Maru, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage
Allied Ships
SS Cachalot
SS Cachalot launches 2 torpedoes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 2nd Recon Regiment, at 57,50 (Toungoo)
Weather in hex: Overcast
Raid spotted at 46 NM, estimated altitude 19,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 10 minutes
I decided to use my P-38s to begin whittling his fighters down over their own airbases from time to time. It seems they do quite well on sweeps.
Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 8
Allied aircraft
P-38F Lightning x 13
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-Ic Oscar: 4 destroyed
No Allied losses
CAP engaged:
11th Sentai with Ki-43-Ic Oscar (4 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(8 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 4 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 24000
Raid is overhead
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 101st RAF Base Force, at 59,45 (Shwebo)
Weather in hex: Light rain
Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 5,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes
Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 26
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-IIa Sally: 1 destroyed by flak
Allied ground losses:
142 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 13 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Aircraft Attacking:
26 x Ki-21-IIa Sally bombing from 5000 feet
Ground Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 2nd Recon Regiment, at 57,50 (Toungoo)
A recon bombing raid finds the 2nd Recon Regt at Toungoo.
Weather in hex: Overcast
Raid spotted at 17 NM, estimated altitude 17,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes
Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 4
Allied aircraft
Vengeance I x 13
No Japanese losses
Allied aircraft losses
Vengeance I: 1 destroyed, 2 damaged
Aircraft Attacking:
4 x Vengeance I releasing from 4000'
Ground Attack: 2 x 500 lb GP Bomb, 2 x 250 lb GP Bomb
3 x Vengeance I releasing from 3000'
Ground Attack: 2 x 500 lb GP Bomb, 2 x 250 lb GP Bomb
4 x Vengeance I releasing from 2000'
Ground Attack: 2 x 500 lb GP Bomb, 2 x 250 lb GP Bomb
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 24th Infantry Regiment, at 55,53 (Pegu)
An infantry Regt at Pengu and as I committed dedicated recon units to scouting Rangoon the number of troops spotted there increased from 32 guns and 24 vehicles to 15,000 troops. I guess I won't be dropping the Chindits there after all [:D].
One question though, IF I drop the paras in Rangoon and take Bassein with armoured units would having the paras in Rangoon allow my armour to enter that hex into a bridgehead a la 6th Airborne at Arnhem OR would the paras just be trapped in Rangoon with no hexside control?
Weather in hex: Heavy rain
Raid spotted at 18 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 2
Allied aircraft
Wellington Ic x 7
No Japanese losses
Allied aircraft losses
Wellington Ic: 1 destroyed
Japanese ground losses:
88 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Aircraft Attacking:
7 x Wellington Ic bombing from 8000 feet
Ground Attack: 8 x 500 lb GP Bomb
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at 86,47 (near Sinyang)
Japanese Deliberate attack
Attacking force 3559 troops, 0 guns, 546 vehicles, Assault Value = 255
Defending force 8257 troops, 38 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 119
Japanese adjusted assault: 208
Allied adjusted defense: 48
Japanese assault odds: 4 to 1
Combat modifiers
Defender: experience(-)
Attacker:
Allied ground losses:
2623 casualties reported
Squads: 107 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 104 destroyed, 41 disabled
Engineers: 5 destroyed, 4 disabled
Guns lost 5 (3 destroyed, 2 disabled)
Units retreated 1
Defeated Allied Units Retreating!
His tanks prove very effective. I'm sure mine will prove more effective given similar conditions ---- and I have a LOT more of them.
Assaulting units:
5th Tank Regiment
12th Tank Regiment
3rd Tank Regiment
17th Tank Regiment
23rd Tank Regiment
Defending units:
29th Chinese Corps
31st Group Army
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Darwin (76,124)
Japanese Deliberate attack
Attacking force 37860 troops, 268 guns, 250 vehicles, Assault Value = 1297
Defending force 750 troops, 1 guns, 108 vehicles, Assault Value = 60
Japanese adjusted assault: 1356
Allied adjusted defense: 1
This was a mistake on my part from trying to be too clever. I had calculated the movement rate of Allied forces into the Darwin hex and had figured out they'd enter the hex today. This would have given an AV of 1,000 or so. I sent the 2/4th Armoured Regt ahead to trigger an attack in the expectation that he'd order the attack yesterday seeing just 2 units and then it would go in today after all of my other units had arrived. This would have allowed me to counter-attack while his forces were massively disrupted and given me a chance of taking Darwin despite significantly superior Japanese forces.
Unfortunately the other 900+ AV of my army are ALL stuck after having moved 45 miles in the previous hex. Just 1 mile more and it'd have worked perfectly. That 1 mile has cost me an armoured regt. Ah well, live and learn.
Japanese assault odds: 1356 to 1
Combat modifiers
Defender:
Attacker:
Japanese ground losses:
515 casualties reported
Squads: 8 destroyed, 56 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Allied ground losses:
Guns lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Vehicles lost 126 (126 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units destroyed 2
Assaulting units:
41st Infantry Regiment
43rd Naval Guard Unit
148th Infantry Regiment
52nd Division
16th Engineer Regiment
6th Tank Regiment
42nd Infantry Regiment
Miura Det
55th Infantry Regiment
16th Recon Regiment
23rd Ind. Engineer Regiment
8th Tank Regiment
146th Infantry Regiment
88th Naval Guard Unit
21st Ind. Engineer Regiment
63rd Naval Guard Unit
23rd AA Regiment
47th Field AA Battalion
48th Field AA Battalion
51st Field AA Battalion
22nd Air Flotilla
3rd JNAF AF Unit
30th Fld AA Gun Co
25th Army
8th JNAF AF Unit
Defending units:
2/4th Armoured Regiment
641st Towed Tank Destroyer Battalion
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Wenchow (89,58)
Japanese Deliberate attack
Attacking force 38274 troops, 330 guns, 180 vehicles, Assault Value = 1305
Defending force 14886 troops, 38 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 516
Japanese adjusted assault: 1031
Allied adjusted defense: 1798
Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 3)
Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), leaders(+), experience(-)
Attacker:
Japanese ground losses:
4496 casualties reported
Squads: 41 destroyed, 358 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 36 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 33 disabled
Allied ground losses:
290 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 48 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 15 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 7 disabled
Well supplied and behind fortifications the Chinese can do fairly well... until tanks show up that is.
Assaulting units:
15th Division
4th RGC Route Brigade
36th Division
32nd Division
2nd Army
Defending units:
100th Chinese Corps
25th Group Army
14th Chinese Base Force
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Attu Island (153,49)
Allied Deliberate attack
Attacking force 17891 troops, 271 guns, 180 vehicles, Assault Value = 472
Defending force 3936 troops, 44 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 45
Allied adjusted assault: 118
Japanese adjusted defense: 1
Allied assault odds: 118 to 1
Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), disruption(-), preparation(-)
fatigue(-), supply(-)
Attacker:
Japanese ground losses:
1070 casualties reported
Squads: 81 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 12 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 13 (2 destroyed, 11 disabled)
This attack wipes out the last of the Japanese. The 470+ AV landed have all been destroyed.
So, 2 divisions destroyed around Attu, 1 division destroyed in Oz with 3 more trapped in Darwin, 3 divisions lured into garrison duties in China. That's 9 divisions he no longer has for his strategic reserves and which cannot oppose me in Burma. I'm sure his strategic reserve is now completely exhausted - now it is time to begin the spiral downward.
Allied ground losses:
173 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 29 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Assaulting units:
58th (Sep) Infantry Regiment
147th(Sep) Infantry Regiment
161st Infantry Regiment
23rd Marine Regiment
182nd Infantry Regiment
2nd USMC Parachute Battalion
810th EAB /3
101st USN Base Force
B Det USN Port Svc
70th Cst AA Rgt /2
II US Fighter Cmnd
175th USAAF Base Force /1
428th Coast AA Bn /1
Defending units:
62nd Infantry Group
Look what's lurking near Ramree.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASW attack near Ramree Island at 53,49
Japanese Ships
BB Hyuga
BB Ise
CL Oi
CL Kitakami
CL Sendai
DD Hatsushima
DD Ayanami
DD Murakumo
DD Ikazuchi
Allied Ships
SS Trusty, hits 1
SS Trusty is sighted by escort
Trusty bottoming out ....
DD Ayanami fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Murakumo fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Ikazuchi fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Ayanami fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Ayanami attacking submerged sub ....
DD Ayanami fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Ayanami fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Ayanami fails to find sub, continues to search...
Escort abandons search for sub
I think there's another TF centred around Yamato or Musashi here also. There are definitely 2 SC TFs, this one and one with what looks like a BB, 4 CA and a bunch of DDs. This would fit with Damian's SC TF compositions around Attu.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Naval bombardment of Ramree Island at 54,48 - Coastal Guns Fire Back!
Great news!!! He uses up his main gun ammo the day before I move my shipping to Ramree. This will put this TF out of position to intervene. I've been flying air units in and out in a slightly random way for the past while hoping to cause such a bombardment as that would give me a window to move without being intercepted. I move to Ramree tomorrow and, if things look good, the next day I'll just blast down to the Bassein shoreline and unload the tank units.
Allied aircraft
no flights
Allied aircraft losses
Lysander II: 11 damaged
Kittyhawk IA: 1 damaged
P-40E Warhawk: 3 damaged
Hurricane IIc Trop: 4 damaged
Because I'm flying in and out there are always a few planes damaged lying around. The Lysanders are what I use for close-in ASW work since the RAF's bomber formations were just shredded by the Japanese before I took over. Most of the squadrons have 1 to 2 twin-engined bombers or are full but comprise Audax or Lysanders- so I'm using them for training.
Japanese Ships
BB Hyuga
BB Ise
BB Yamashiro
CA Kumano
CA Suzuya
CL Oi
CL Kitakami
CL Sendai
3 BBs eh? Interesting.
Allied ground losses:
898 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 35 destroyed, 113 disabled
Engineers: 3 destroyed, 7 disabled
Guns lost 56 (14 destroyed, 42 disabled)
Vehicles lost 31 (6 destroyed, 25 disabled)
Airbase hits 16
Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 37
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Bering Island at 146,47
Japanese Ships
PB Shotoku Maru, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage
Allied Ships
SS Cachalot
SS Cachalot launches 2 torpedoes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 2nd Recon Regiment, at 57,50 (Toungoo)
Weather in hex: Overcast
Raid spotted at 46 NM, estimated altitude 19,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 10 minutes
I decided to use my P-38s to begin whittling his fighters down over their own airbases from time to time. It seems they do quite well on sweeps.
Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 8
Allied aircraft
P-38F Lightning x 13
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-Ic Oscar: 4 destroyed
No Allied losses
CAP engaged:
11th Sentai with Ki-43-Ic Oscar (4 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(8 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 4 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 24000
Raid is overhead
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 101st RAF Base Force, at 59,45 (Shwebo)
Weather in hex: Light rain
Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 5,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes
Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 26
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-IIa Sally: 1 destroyed by flak
Allied ground losses:
142 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 13 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Aircraft Attacking:
26 x Ki-21-IIa Sally bombing from 5000 feet
Ground Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 2nd Recon Regiment, at 57,50 (Toungoo)
A recon bombing raid finds the 2nd Recon Regt at Toungoo.
Weather in hex: Overcast
Raid spotted at 17 NM, estimated altitude 17,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes
Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 4
Allied aircraft
Vengeance I x 13
No Japanese losses
Allied aircraft losses
Vengeance I: 1 destroyed, 2 damaged
Aircraft Attacking:
4 x Vengeance I releasing from 4000'
Ground Attack: 2 x 500 lb GP Bomb, 2 x 250 lb GP Bomb
3 x Vengeance I releasing from 3000'
Ground Attack: 2 x 500 lb GP Bomb, 2 x 250 lb GP Bomb
4 x Vengeance I releasing from 2000'
Ground Attack: 2 x 500 lb GP Bomb, 2 x 250 lb GP Bomb
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 24th Infantry Regiment, at 55,53 (Pegu)
An infantry Regt at Pengu and as I committed dedicated recon units to scouting Rangoon the number of troops spotted there increased from 32 guns and 24 vehicles to 15,000 troops. I guess I won't be dropping the Chindits there after all [:D].
One question though, IF I drop the paras in Rangoon and take Bassein with armoured units would having the paras in Rangoon allow my armour to enter that hex into a bridgehead a la 6th Airborne at Arnhem OR would the paras just be trapped in Rangoon with no hexside control?
Weather in hex: Heavy rain
Raid spotted at 18 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 2
Allied aircraft
Wellington Ic x 7
No Japanese losses
Allied aircraft losses
Wellington Ic: 1 destroyed
Japanese ground losses:
88 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Aircraft Attacking:
7 x Wellington Ic bombing from 8000 feet
Ground Attack: 8 x 500 lb GP Bomb
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at 86,47 (near Sinyang)
Japanese Deliberate attack
Attacking force 3559 troops, 0 guns, 546 vehicles, Assault Value = 255
Defending force 8257 troops, 38 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 119
Japanese adjusted assault: 208
Allied adjusted defense: 48
Japanese assault odds: 4 to 1
Combat modifiers
Defender: experience(-)
Attacker:
Allied ground losses:
2623 casualties reported
Squads: 107 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 104 destroyed, 41 disabled
Engineers: 5 destroyed, 4 disabled
Guns lost 5 (3 destroyed, 2 disabled)
Units retreated 1
Defeated Allied Units Retreating!
His tanks prove very effective. I'm sure mine will prove more effective given similar conditions ---- and I have a LOT more of them.
Assaulting units:
5th Tank Regiment
12th Tank Regiment
3rd Tank Regiment
17th Tank Regiment
23rd Tank Regiment
Defending units:
29th Chinese Corps
31st Group Army
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Darwin (76,124)
Japanese Deliberate attack
Attacking force 37860 troops, 268 guns, 250 vehicles, Assault Value = 1297
Defending force 750 troops, 1 guns, 108 vehicles, Assault Value = 60
Japanese adjusted assault: 1356
Allied adjusted defense: 1
This was a mistake on my part from trying to be too clever. I had calculated the movement rate of Allied forces into the Darwin hex and had figured out they'd enter the hex today. This would have given an AV of 1,000 or so. I sent the 2/4th Armoured Regt ahead to trigger an attack in the expectation that he'd order the attack yesterday seeing just 2 units and then it would go in today after all of my other units had arrived. This would have allowed me to counter-attack while his forces were massively disrupted and given me a chance of taking Darwin despite significantly superior Japanese forces.
Unfortunately the other 900+ AV of my army are ALL stuck after having moved 45 miles in the previous hex. Just 1 mile more and it'd have worked perfectly. That 1 mile has cost me an armoured regt. Ah well, live and learn.
Japanese assault odds: 1356 to 1
Combat modifiers
Defender:
Attacker:
Japanese ground losses:
515 casualties reported
Squads: 8 destroyed, 56 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Allied ground losses:
Guns lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Vehicles lost 126 (126 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units destroyed 2
Assaulting units:
41st Infantry Regiment
43rd Naval Guard Unit
148th Infantry Regiment
52nd Division
16th Engineer Regiment
6th Tank Regiment
42nd Infantry Regiment
Miura Det
55th Infantry Regiment
16th Recon Regiment
23rd Ind. Engineer Regiment
8th Tank Regiment
146th Infantry Regiment
88th Naval Guard Unit
21st Ind. Engineer Regiment
63rd Naval Guard Unit
23rd AA Regiment
47th Field AA Battalion
48th Field AA Battalion
51st Field AA Battalion
22nd Air Flotilla
3rd JNAF AF Unit
30th Fld AA Gun Co
25th Army
8th JNAF AF Unit
Defending units:
2/4th Armoured Regiment
641st Towed Tank Destroyer Battalion
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Wenchow (89,58)
Japanese Deliberate attack
Attacking force 38274 troops, 330 guns, 180 vehicles, Assault Value = 1305
Defending force 14886 troops, 38 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 516
Japanese adjusted assault: 1031
Allied adjusted defense: 1798
Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 3)
Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), leaders(+), experience(-)
Attacker:
Japanese ground losses:
4496 casualties reported
Squads: 41 destroyed, 358 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 36 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 33 disabled
Allied ground losses:
290 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 48 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 15 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 7 disabled
Well supplied and behind fortifications the Chinese can do fairly well... until tanks show up that is.
Assaulting units:
15th Division
4th RGC Route Brigade
36th Division
32nd Division
2nd Army
Defending units:
100th Chinese Corps
25th Group Army
14th Chinese Base Force
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Attu Island (153,49)
Allied Deliberate attack
Attacking force 17891 troops, 271 guns, 180 vehicles, Assault Value = 472
Defending force 3936 troops, 44 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 45
Allied adjusted assault: 118
Japanese adjusted defense: 1
Allied assault odds: 118 to 1
Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), disruption(-), preparation(-)
fatigue(-), supply(-)
Attacker:
Japanese ground losses:
1070 casualties reported
Squads: 81 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 12 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 13 (2 destroyed, 11 disabled)
This attack wipes out the last of the Japanese. The 470+ AV landed have all been destroyed.
So, 2 divisions destroyed around Attu, 1 division destroyed in Oz with 3 more trapped in Darwin, 3 divisions lured into garrison duties in China. That's 9 divisions he no longer has for his strategic reserves and which cannot oppose me in Burma. I'm sure his strategic reserve is now completely exhausted - now it is time to begin the spiral downward.
Allied ground losses:
173 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 29 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Assaulting units:
58th (Sep) Infantry Regiment
147th(Sep) Infantry Regiment
161st Infantry Regiment
23rd Marine Regiment
182nd Infantry Regiment
2nd USMC Parachute Battalion
810th EAB /3
101st USN Base Force
B Det USN Port Svc
70th Cst AA Rgt /2
II US Fighter Cmnd
175th USAAF Base Force /1
428th Coast AA Bn /1
Defending units:
62nd Infantry Group
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
Well, that's that settled then.
RE: Offerings to Khorne
That "15-miles-per-day-marching-on-secondary roads" rule is sooooo annoying with 46 mile hexes! The Commonwealth Army has an excellent union! [;)]Unfortunately the other 900+ AV of my army are ALL stuck after having moved 45 miles in the previous hex. Just 1 mile more and it'd have worked perfectly. That 1 mile has cost me an armoured regt. Ah well, live and learn.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
RE: Offerings to Khorne
I recall a failed paradrop that left my unit with no hex side control, so unfortunately I doubt the Chindit drop on Rangoon will help you.
That said, I doubt you'll need the paras once the OMG gets rolling.
That said, I doubt you'll need the paras once the OMG gets rolling.

RE: Offerings to Khorne
All para drops into an enemy controlled hex [which no other friendly unit has entered yet] are "surrounded" since you cannot leave the hex from the inside>out unless a hex side has been cleared from outside>in first.ORIGINAL: Cribtop
I recall a failed paradrop that left my unit with no hex side control, so unfortunately I doubt the Chindit drop on Rangoon will help you.
That said, I doubt you'll need the paras once the OMG gets rolling.
I am not sure of the bridgehead effect - other AARs have indicated that it reduces the chance the incoming unit will have to shock attack across the river and others seem to imply it will prevent a shock attack totally. See Bullwinkle's defence of Singapore and the mass of Japanese strength at Johore Bharu, afraid to cross even when they had units in Singapore.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
RE: Offerings to Khorne
Thanks for the info guys. Hmm, the hex side control issue has made me reconsider my plans a little as has more detailed recon of Rangoon. I really do think Damian is just holding the north with a small force and is prepared to bug out of Rangoon and Burma. Unfortunately this means that he has a LOT of units around Rangoon. It now seems he has about 20,000 troops in the city itself and each of the bases around it has a Regiment of infantry as a garrison.
So I've changed my plans and will do a paradrop onto Magwe. This will allow me to test how paradrops and hex control works, will be easily rescued since I have 4 Infantry Bdes due to enter the plains hex north-west of Magwe in a couple of turns and just may lure some IJA formations north.
So, how did the fighting go on the 2nd October? Well, it was another good day for the Allies with another island in CENPAC being occupied, bases building in NORPAC and another IJN submarine sunk around Ramree as well as some nice ambushes of Netties.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASW attack near Ramree Island at 53,47
Japanese Ships
SS I-166, hits 7
Allied Ships
CA San Francisco
CL Dauntless
CL Perth
DD Van Galen
DD Inconstant
DD Hotspur
DD Griffin
DD Foxhound
SS I-166 is sighted by escort
DD Inconstant fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Hotspur fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Griffin attacking submerged sub ....
DD Foxhound fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Griffin fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Foxhound fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Foxhound fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Foxhound fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Foxhound attacking submerged sub ....
DD Foxhound fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Foxhound fails to find sub, continues to search...
Escort abandons search for sub
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Akyab at 54,46
Japanese Ships
SS I-29, hits 28, and is sunk
Allied Ships
BB Mississippi, Torpedo hits 1
CA Cornwall
CLAA Van Heemskerck
DD Nepal
DD Arunta
DD King
DD Crosby
DD Nizam
DD Nestor
SS I-29 launches 6 torpedoes at BB Mississippi
DD King fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Crosby fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Nizam attacking submerged sub ....
DD Nestor fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Nizam fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Nestor attacking submerged sub ....
DD Nestor cannot reach attack position over SS I-29
DD Nizam attacking submerged sub ....
DD Nizam cannot establish contact with SS I-29
SS I-29 forced to surface!
DD Nestor firing on surfaced sub ....
DD King firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Crosby firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Nizam firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Nestor firing on surfaced sub ....
DD King firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Crosby firing on surfaced sub ....
DD King firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Crosby firing on surfaced sub ....
DD King firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Crosby firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Nizam firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Nestor firing on surfaced sub ....
DD King firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Crosby firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Nizam firing on surfaced sub ....
Sub slips beneath the waves
Mississipi has about 11 sys damage and 10 points of flooding. She can still stay and fight though.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on TF, near Ramree Island at 54,48
Weather in hex: Clear sky
Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 5,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 31 minutes
Japanese aircraft
G3M2 Nell x 29
Allied aircraft
Sea Hurricane Ib x 6
Martlet II x 7
Hurricane IIc Trop x 16
Kittyhawk IA x 5
P-38F Lightning x 8
P-40E Warhawk x 10
P-40K Warhawk x 10
Japanese aircraft losses
G3M2 Nell: 9 destroyed
No Allied losses
Every Nell was shot down and I got a new high-scoring ace with 16 kills flying a P-40K.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on TF, near Ramree Island at 54,48
Weather in hex: Clear sky
Raid detected at 41 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 14 minutes
Japanese aircraft
A6M2-N Rufe x 1
G4M1 Betty x 29
Allied aircraft
Sea Hurricane Ib x 5
Martlet II x 5
Hurricane IIc Trop x 15
Kittyhawk IA x 5
P-38F Lightning x 8
P-40E Warhawk x 10
P-40K Warhawk x 10
Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2-N Rufe: 1 destroyed
G4M1 Betty: 21 destroyed
No Allied losses
Allied Ships
xAK Nova Scotia
xAK Florence Luckenbach, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage
Aircraft Attacking:
4 x G4M1 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Naval Attack: 1 x 18in Type 91 Torpedo
Only 4 Bettys survived. So, so far that's 54 Netties downed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Ramree Island at 54,48
Weather in hex: Partial cloud
Raid detected at 75 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 29 minutes
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 4
G3M2 Nell x 18
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 20
Allied aircraft
Sea Hurricane Ib x 6
Martlet II x 7
Hurricane IIc Trop x 16
Kittyhawk IA x 5
P-38F Lightning x 7
P-40E Warhawk x 9
P-40K Warhawk x 10
Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed
G3M2 Nell: 4 destroyed
Ki-43-Ic Oscar: 3 destroyed
Allied aircraft losses
Sea Hurricane Ib: 1 destroyed
Martlet II: 1 destroyed
All the Netties were downed yet again. I make that 72 Netties today and about 15 fighter escorts.
That was all the news for the day really. Tomorrow I sweep and bomb Magwe and then send in the Chindits. A couple of days after that I'll learn how hexside control across a river works when relieving parachute formations - which I need to learn for later operations. If all my loading is finished tomorrow ( I'm loading the 18th British Division and 23rd Indian Division on transports to give the OMG a little infantry weight. I'm also committing my artillery and most of my light AAA regiments over the beach as I've gotten unhappy with the slow rate of advance through the swamp and think they'll do more good in the plains. If push comes to shove after I land the 900+AV OMG and 2 Divisions worth of troops I still have another 3 divisions which I can land to reinforce the OMG if necessary. That'll come to a total AV of 2,600, which will ensure I win through brute force if nothing else.
One reason I wanted the infantry along is that I want the option of attacking with infantry and having my tank formations in PURSUIT such that I can set up a series of rolling attacks on the IJA elements, if the opportunity presents itself.
I also did a review of the situation on 18th August when I took over and today.
Up until 18th August loss ratios etc were as follows:
Airframes: 1.2 Allied to 1 Japanese.
Shipping: 17.4 points of Allied shipping for every 1 point of Japanese shipping lost.
Army: 13.7 points of ground forces lost for every 1 point of Japanese ground forces lost.
Overall Score: 3.1 :1 in favour of Japan.
Since August 18th to today the ratios have been as follows:
Airframes: 1:1 ( 1165 Allied vs 1150 Japanese )
Shipping: 3.9 points of Allied shipping for every 1 point of Japanese shipping - This doesn't take into account the Fuso which would change this to about 2.8 : 1
Army: 2.9 points of Allied ground forces lost for every 1 point of Japanese ground forces lost. Most of these losses were in China where a lot of non-combat worthy units were in the front lines where their lack of TO&E condemned them to high losses.
Overall score: 1.47 : 1 in favour of Japan.
Loss rates have also increased with 27% of Japanese aerial losses, 48% of IJN losses ( actually 58% counting Fuso ) and 46% of IJA losses occuring in the past 6 weeks when compared to the previous 9 months of fighting.
That means that Japanese plane loss rates have rocketed 120% per month, shipping losses have rocketed 450% per month and IJA losses have rocketed 410% per month.
I believe these increased rates of loss will erode his forces and force disengagement in crucial sectors allowing me to, overall, take ground more quickly and more cheaply than a much slower campaign with lower loss rates - probably well within the Japanese ability to replace - would have allowed.

So I've changed my plans and will do a paradrop onto Magwe. This will allow me to test how paradrops and hex control works, will be easily rescued since I have 4 Infantry Bdes due to enter the plains hex north-west of Magwe in a couple of turns and just may lure some IJA formations north.
So, how did the fighting go on the 2nd October? Well, it was another good day for the Allies with another island in CENPAC being occupied, bases building in NORPAC and another IJN submarine sunk around Ramree as well as some nice ambushes of Netties.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASW attack near Ramree Island at 53,47
Japanese Ships
SS I-166, hits 7
Allied Ships
CA San Francisco
CL Dauntless
CL Perth
DD Van Galen
DD Inconstant
DD Hotspur
DD Griffin
DD Foxhound
SS I-166 is sighted by escort
DD Inconstant fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Hotspur fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Griffin attacking submerged sub ....
DD Foxhound fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Griffin fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Foxhound fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Foxhound fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Foxhound fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Foxhound attacking submerged sub ....
DD Foxhound fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Foxhound fails to find sub, continues to search...
Escort abandons search for sub
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Akyab at 54,46
Japanese Ships
SS I-29, hits 28, and is sunk
Allied Ships
BB Mississippi, Torpedo hits 1
CA Cornwall
CLAA Van Heemskerck
DD Nepal
DD Arunta
DD King
DD Crosby
DD Nizam
DD Nestor
SS I-29 launches 6 torpedoes at BB Mississippi
DD King fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Crosby fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Nizam attacking submerged sub ....
DD Nestor fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Nizam fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Nestor attacking submerged sub ....
DD Nestor cannot reach attack position over SS I-29
DD Nizam attacking submerged sub ....
DD Nizam cannot establish contact with SS I-29
SS I-29 forced to surface!
DD Nestor firing on surfaced sub ....
DD King firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Crosby firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Nizam firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Nestor firing on surfaced sub ....
DD King firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Crosby firing on surfaced sub ....
DD King firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Crosby firing on surfaced sub ....
DD King firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Crosby firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Nizam firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Nestor firing on surfaced sub ....
DD King firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Crosby firing on surfaced sub ....
DD Nizam firing on surfaced sub ....
Sub slips beneath the waves
Mississipi has about 11 sys damage and 10 points of flooding. She can still stay and fight though.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on TF, near Ramree Island at 54,48
Weather in hex: Clear sky
Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 5,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 31 minutes
Japanese aircraft
G3M2 Nell x 29
Allied aircraft
Sea Hurricane Ib x 6
Martlet II x 7
Hurricane IIc Trop x 16
Kittyhawk IA x 5
P-38F Lightning x 8
P-40E Warhawk x 10
P-40K Warhawk x 10
Japanese aircraft losses
G3M2 Nell: 9 destroyed
No Allied losses
Every Nell was shot down and I got a new high-scoring ace with 16 kills flying a P-40K.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on TF, near Ramree Island at 54,48
Weather in hex: Clear sky
Raid detected at 41 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 14 minutes
Japanese aircraft
A6M2-N Rufe x 1
G4M1 Betty x 29
Allied aircraft
Sea Hurricane Ib x 5
Martlet II x 5
Hurricane IIc Trop x 15
Kittyhawk IA x 5
P-38F Lightning x 8
P-40E Warhawk x 10
P-40K Warhawk x 10
Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2-N Rufe: 1 destroyed
G4M1 Betty: 21 destroyed
No Allied losses
Allied Ships
xAK Nova Scotia
xAK Florence Luckenbach, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage
Aircraft Attacking:
4 x G4M1 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Naval Attack: 1 x 18in Type 91 Torpedo
Only 4 Bettys survived. So, so far that's 54 Netties downed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Ramree Island at 54,48
Weather in hex: Partial cloud
Raid detected at 75 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 29 minutes
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 4
G3M2 Nell x 18
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 20
Allied aircraft
Sea Hurricane Ib x 6
Martlet II x 7
Hurricane IIc Trop x 16
Kittyhawk IA x 5
P-38F Lightning x 7
P-40E Warhawk x 9
P-40K Warhawk x 10
Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed
G3M2 Nell: 4 destroyed
Ki-43-Ic Oscar: 3 destroyed
Allied aircraft losses
Sea Hurricane Ib: 1 destroyed
Martlet II: 1 destroyed
All the Netties were downed yet again. I make that 72 Netties today and about 15 fighter escorts.
That was all the news for the day really. Tomorrow I sweep and bomb Magwe and then send in the Chindits. A couple of days after that I'll learn how hexside control across a river works when relieving parachute formations - which I need to learn for later operations. If all my loading is finished tomorrow ( I'm loading the 18th British Division and 23rd Indian Division on transports to give the OMG a little infantry weight. I'm also committing my artillery and most of my light AAA regiments over the beach as I've gotten unhappy with the slow rate of advance through the swamp and think they'll do more good in the plains. If push comes to shove after I land the 900+AV OMG and 2 Divisions worth of troops I still have another 3 divisions which I can land to reinforce the OMG if necessary. That'll come to a total AV of 2,600, which will ensure I win through brute force if nothing else.
One reason I wanted the infantry along is that I want the option of attacking with infantry and having my tank formations in PURSUIT such that I can set up a series of rolling attacks on the IJA elements, if the opportunity presents itself.
I also did a review of the situation on 18th August when I took over and today.
Up until 18th August loss ratios etc were as follows:
Airframes: 1.2 Allied to 1 Japanese.
Shipping: 17.4 points of Allied shipping for every 1 point of Japanese shipping lost.
Army: 13.7 points of ground forces lost for every 1 point of Japanese ground forces lost.
Overall Score: 3.1 :1 in favour of Japan.
Since August 18th to today the ratios have been as follows:
Airframes: 1:1 ( 1165 Allied vs 1150 Japanese )
Shipping: 3.9 points of Allied shipping for every 1 point of Japanese shipping - This doesn't take into account the Fuso which would change this to about 2.8 : 1
Army: 2.9 points of Allied ground forces lost for every 1 point of Japanese ground forces lost. Most of these losses were in China where a lot of non-combat worthy units were in the front lines where their lack of TO&E condemned them to high losses.
Overall score: 1.47 : 1 in favour of Japan.
Loss rates have also increased with 27% of Japanese aerial losses, 48% of IJN losses ( actually 58% counting Fuso ) and 46% of IJA losses occuring in the past 6 weeks when compared to the previous 9 months of fighting.
That means that Japanese plane loss rates have rocketed 120% per month, shipping losses have rocketed 450% per month and IJA losses have rocketed 410% per month.
I believe these increased rates of loss will erode his forces and force disengagement in crucial sectors allowing me to, overall, take ground more quickly and more cheaply than a much slower campaign with lower loss rates - probably well within the Japanese ability to replace - would have allowed.

- Attachments
-
- 32.jpg (297.54 KiB) Viewed 605 times
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
Well, that's that settled then.
- Capt. Harlock
- Posts: 5379
- Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2001 8:00 am
- Location: Los Angeles
- Contact:
RE: Offerings to Khorne
Shipping: 3.9 points of Allied shipping for every 1 point of Japanese shipping - This doesn't take into account the Fuso which would change this to about 2.8 : 1
Army: 2.9 points of Allied ground forces lost for every 1 point of Japanese ground forces lost. Most of these losses were in China where a lot of non-combat worthy units were in the front lines where their lack of TO&E condemned them to high losses.
Overall score: 1.47 : 1 in favour of Japan.
Loss rates have also increased with 27% of Japanese aerial losses, 48% of IJN losses ( actually 58% counting Fuso )
Hello?? I didn't see anything ugly about Fuso in the combat reports -- did she blow herself up like Mutsu did?
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?
--Victor Hugo
--Victor Hugo
RE: Offerings to Khorne
ORIGINAL: Nemo121
![]()
Wow, that allied CAP looks like the lineup of a great Air Show, something for everyone! [:)]
Thanks for the update on the VP/loss status, it is helpful to get a feel for how all the little victories add up. I am also very interested to see how he will react once 'Operation Sneaky' starts lighting up those bases. Since you have pinned (or are in the process of pinning) much of what would have been his strategic reserve, how do you think he will react? OF course, he still has KB, but KB without supporting troops can't retake bases.
Just when I get the hang of a game, I buy two more... 
RE: Offerings to Khorne
Harlock,
There goes my lack of care about names again. I think it was Kongo which sank, sorry. Actually that's better for me, a fast BB sunk is preferable to sinking a slow one.
Justus2,
Well, you have to spread the load [8D]. Plus this was more important than ever since there really wasn't much pilot training to speak of so my ability to replace pilots was absolutely minimal.
Throughout ALL of India and Burma I have a total of 280 fighters. This includes Buffaloes, Mohawks, Hurricane Is etc. I'm trying to keep most of the really terrible planes over Chittagong where Damian won't see them so much as I don't want him to know just how weak my air force in India and Burma is. As it is I don't have enough to cover what needs covering.
I have 2 USAAF fighter squadrons due from Oz in about 3 days or so and I have loaded another 4 USAAF and 1 RAF squadron from Oz and am sending them also. That'll boost my numbers by 150 fighters and give me the ability to use USAAF numbers to spearheads offensive aerial actions while the RAF awaits the first pilot training graduates before taking up its fair share.
Now onto matters of the day, 4th October 1942.
The IJNAF intervened with the landings near Bassein It cost them about 45 Vals and 15 Kates but they managed to put bombs into 4 transports ( less than 2% of the shipping I've committed so well within acceptable loss rates).
Allied Ships
xAK Alphard, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
xAKL Dumra, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Kainalu, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Loch Ranza, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
Allied ground losses:
53 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 4 destroyed, 25 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 6 (3 destroyed, 3 disabled)
Vehicles lost 25 (5 destroyed, 20 disabled)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Bassein at 53,52
Mini-KB got in on the act also. The Vals were destroyed to the last plane but 11 Kates got through --- and their pilots were GOOD !!!
Weather in hex: Severe storms
Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 30 minutes
Japanese aircraft
B5N2 Kate x 20
D3A1 Val x 9
Allied aircraft
Martlet II x 3
Hurricane IIc Trop x 11
Kittyhawk IA x 3
P-38F Lightning x 4
P-40E Warhawk x 6
P-40K Warhawk x 7
Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 6 destroyed, 3 damaged
B5N2 Kate: 1 destroyed by flak
D3A1 Val: 6 destroyed
No Allied losses
Allied Ships
BB Colorado, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
BB Mississippi
xAK Risaldar, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
xAK Silvermaple, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
Allied ground losses:
961 casualties reported
Squads: 26 destroyed, 8 disabled
Non Combat: 37 destroyed, 19 disabled
Engineers: 8 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 2 (2 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Aircraft Attacking:
6 x B5N2 Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Naval Attack: 1 x 18in Type 91 Torpedo
5 x B5N2 Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Naval Attack: 1 x 18in Type 91 Torpedo
7 hits from 11 attackers. Not bad. This is where the failure to upgrade the USN BBs in July Or August has really cost me. With improved FlAK it is probable that the 3 torp hits on Colorado could have been reduced to 2 or fewer. As it is she has flotation damage of 75 and may well sink. If she'd only taken 2 hits she'd certainly survive.
For want of a nail and all that....
KB popped up south of Adak and caught a small Tanker convoy. I think he was hunting my BBs thinking I'd be sending them straight back to Seattle to be patched up. I'm a wary soul though and rarely send things straight back as it risks this sort of thing...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on TF, near Yunaska Island at 167,52
Weather in hex: Severe storms
Raid detected at 32 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 22
D3A1 Val x 13
Japanese aircraft losses
D3A1 Val: 2 damaged
Allied Ships
TK Mobilube, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
TK Pan Europa, Bomb hits 2
AM Constant, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
Aircraft Attacking:
2 x D3A1 Val releasing from 3000' *
Naval Attack: 2 x 60 kg GP Bomb
11 x D3A1 Val releasing from 2000' *
Naval Attack: 2 x 60 kg GP Bomb
Heavy smoke from fires obscuring TK Mobilube
Heavy smoke from fires obscuring AM Constant
Today I got 270+ AV ashore in the 12 hours of the night-time phase. This means I could unload about 500 AV a day if I stayed around. So, I could unload the remainder of my force in 2 full days of unloading, plus another day at least to get supplies ashore. Right now I can see mini-KB and 3 major SC TFs on their way from Rangoon or at Rangoon so what I've decided to do is to send the transports ( except for two which will definitely sink ) back to Ramree.
The two transports which will definitely sink are ordered to stay around and unload whatever they can before they sink. The 2 SC TFs I've organised are staying also. I've re-organised them into a BB TF ( 4 BB, 1 CLAA and DDs ) and a CA TF ( 3 CA, 4 CL and DDs ). I've also organised another TF comprising 1 CA, 2 CL and 5 DD. The BB and CA TF will remain at the landing site with a view to fighting the inevitable Japanese riposte overnight - 21% moonlight and severe storms means lots of really close-in knife-fighting, which is what I want. I want heavy losses to both sides so that when POW and Repulse arrive on the scene there aren't any combat-ready IJN BBs or CAs in theatre.
The small SC TF ( 1 CA, 2 CL and DDs) is ordered to raid INTO Rangoon itself. I don't truly expect them to reach the harbour BUT I do expect them to follow the exact same route as the IJN SC TFs coming out of Rangoon ( albeit in reverse ) and I expect them to meet, engage and disrupt these TFs throughout the night resulting in them having fires etc by the time they reach the BB and CA TFs at the beach landing site. Those fires should give me an important spotting advantage. Hell, if i'm really lucky they'll do more than their fair share of damage AND catch transports in the harbour --- but I'll settle for them causing damage and some fires before the enemy shipping reaches the beach landing site.
Damian is querying the use of a non-base hex for landing but I told him that I'd asked and I'd been told that the code penalised it and seemed to handle them fairly reasonably. He is proposing banning them except for CLEAR hexes - which seems reasonable to me so I've said I'd be fine with that. I think he wasn't expecting it even though it was never something we outruled.
Overall, so far so good... but tonight's battles will be crucial. If I hold then the landings can continue. If I have a disastrous night then I won't be able to continue the landings... and will just have to push through the land route until I get more ships into theatre.

There goes my lack of care about names again. I think it was Kongo which sank, sorry. Actually that's better for me, a fast BB sunk is preferable to sinking a slow one.
Justus2,
Well, you have to spread the load [8D]. Plus this was more important than ever since there really wasn't much pilot training to speak of so my ability to replace pilots was absolutely minimal.
Throughout ALL of India and Burma I have a total of 280 fighters. This includes Buffaloes, Mohawks, Hurricane Is etc. I'm trying to keep most of the really terrible planes over Chittagong where Damian won't see them so much as I don't want him to know just how weak my air force in India and Burma is. As it is I don't have enough to cover what needs covering.
I have 2 USAAF fighter squadrons due from Oz in about 3 days or so and I have loaded another 4 USAAF and 1 RAF squadron from Oz and am sending them also. That'll boost my numbers by 150 fighters and give me the ability to use USAAF numbers to spearheads offensive aerial actions while the RAF awaits the first pilot training graduates before taking up its fair share.
Now onto matters of the day, 4th October 1942.
The IJNAF intervened with the landings near Bassein It cost them about 45 Vals and 15 Kates but they managed to put bombs into 4 transports ( less than 2% of the shipping I've committed so well within acceptable loss rates).
Allied Ships
xAK Alphard, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
xAKL Dumra, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Kainalu, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Loch Ranza, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
Allied ground losses:
53 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 4 destroyed, 25 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 6 (3 destroyed, 3 disabled)
Vehicles lost 25 (5 destroyed, 20 disabled)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Bassein at 53,52
Mini-KB got in on the act also. The Vals were destroyed to the last plane but 11 Kates got through --- and their pilots were GOOD !!!
Weather in hex: Severe storms
Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 30 minutes
Japanese aircraft
B5N2 Kate x 20
D3A1 Val x 9
Allied aircraft
Martlet II x 3
Hurricane IIc Trop x 11
Kittyhawk IA x 3
P-38F Lightning x 4
P-40E Warhawk x 6
P-40K Warhawk x 7
Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 6 destroyed, 3 damaged
B5N2 Kate: 1 destroyed by flak
D3A1 Val: 6 destroyed
No Allied losses
Allied Ships
BB Colorado, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
BB Mississippi
xAK Risaldar, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
xAK Silvermaple, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
Allied ground losses:
961 casualties reported
Squads: 26 destroyed, 8 disabled
Non Combat: 37 destroyed, 19 disabled
Engineers: 8 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 2 (2 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Aircraft Attacking:
6 x B5N2 Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Naval Attack: 1 x 18in Type 91 Torpedo
5 x B5N2 Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Naval Attack: 1 x 18in Type 91 Torpedo
7 hits from 11 attackers. Not bad. This is where the failure to upgrade the USN BBs in July Or August has really cost me. With improved FlAK it is probable that the 3 torp hits on Colorado could have been reduced to 2 or fewer. As it is she has flotation damage of 75 and may well sink. If she'd only taken 2 hits she'd certainly survive.
For want of a nail and all that....
KB popped up south of Adak and caught a small Tanker convoy. I think he was hunting my BBs thinking I'd be sending them straight back to Seattle to be patched up. I'm a wary soul though and rarely send things straight back as it risks this sort of thing...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on TF, near Yunaska Island at 167,52
Weather in hex: Severe storms
Raid detected at 32 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 22
D3A1 Val x 13
Japanese aircraft losses
D3A1 Val: 2 damaged
Allied Ships
TK Mobilube, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
TK Pan Europa, Bomb hits 2
AM Constant, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
Aircraft Attacking:
2 x D3A1 Val releasing from 3000' *
Naval Attack: 2 x 60 kg GP Bomb
11 x D3A1 Val releasing from 2000' *
Naval Attack: 2 x 60 kg GP Bomb
Heavy smoke from fires obscuring TK Mobilube
Heavy smoke from fires obscuring AM Constant
Today I got 270+ AV ashore in the 12 hours of the night-time phase. This means I could unload about 500 AV a day if I stayed around. So, I could unload the remainder of my force in 2 full days of unloading, plus another day at least to get supplies ashore. Right now I can see mini-KB and 3 major SC TFs on their way from Rangoon or at Rangoon so what I've decided to do is to send the transports ( except for two which will definitely sink ) back to Ramree.
The two transports which will definitely sink are ordered to stay around and unload whatever they can before they sink. The 2 SC TFs I've organised are staying also. I've re-organised them into a BB TF ( 4 BB, 1 CLAA and DDs ) and a CA TF ( 3 CA, 4 CL and DDs ). I've also organised another TF comprising 1 CA, 2 CL and 5 DD. The BB and CA TF will remain at the landing site with a view to fighting the inevitable Japanese riposte overnight - 21% moonlight and severe storms means lots of really close-in knife-fighting, which is what I want. I want heavy losses to both sides so that when POW and Repulse arrive on the scene there aren't any combat-ready IJN BBs or CAs in theatre.
The small SC TF ( 1 CA, 2 CL and DDs) is ordered to raid INTO Rangoon itself. I don't truly expect them to reach the harbour BUT I do expect them to follow the exact same route as the IJN SC TFs coming out of Rangoon ( albeit in reverse ) and I expect them to meet, engage and disrupt these TFs throughout the night resulting in them having fires etc by the time they reach the BB and CA TFs at the beach landing site. Those fires should give me an important spotting advantage. Hell, if i'm really lucky they'll do more than their fair share of damage AND catch transports in the harbour --- but I'll settle for them causing damage and some fires before the enemy shipping reaches the beach landing site.
Damian is querying the use of a non-base hex for landing but I told him that I'd asked and I'd been told that the code penalised it and seemed to handle them fairly reasonably. He is proposing banning them except for CLEAR hexes - which seems reasonable to me so I've said I'd be fine with that. I think he wasn't expecting it even though it was never something we outruled.
Overall, so far so good... but tonight's battles will be crucial. If I hold then the landings can continue. If I have a disastrous night then I won't be able to continue the landings... and will just have to push through the land route until I get more ships into theatre.

- Attachments
-
- 33.jpg (393.03 KiB) Viewed 605 times
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
Well, that's that settled then.
RE: Offerings to Khorne
Interesting tactic/reasoning on the CL TF spoiling attack. Does the code actually reflect the heightened visibility for fires in naval combat at night? I've noticed damaged ships get disproportionate shares of hits, but I always assumed it was because they had been slowed by the damage, didn't think of the fire aspect. Good lesson learned!
Just when I get the hang of a game, I buy two more... 
RE: Offerings to Khorne
From what I have seen in the game, both speed decrease and fires are shell magnets. This is historically accurate in the early war too, before the USN figured out target allocation would sink more ships than ganging up on the easiest target.ORIGINAL: Justus2
Interesting tactic/reasoning on the CL TF spoiling attack. Does the code actually reflect the heightened visibility for fires in naval combat at night? I've noticed damaged ships get disproportionate shares of hits, but I always assumed it was because they had been slowed by the damage, didn't think of the fire aspect. Good lesson learned!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
RE: Offerings to Khorne
Justus2,
Yes, fires massively increase the visibility of the ship on fire at night.
The next two days....
Well, it seems the spoiling attack worked well, too well. It ran into 3 BB, 3 or 4 CA, about 3 CL and a horde of DDs. I lose the CA and both CLs were damaged but the DDs got out relatively unscathed. No IJN ships made it to the beach landing site overnight and so pulling my transports out was unnecessary - damn !!!!
Over the next couple of days we're going to be dancing around eachother as I try to land supplies and troops and he looks for a good opportunity to hurl his battleline at my forces.
In the meantime I downed about 50 Netties today as they tried to attack my BBs. One BB took a torpedo but she has very light damage and can stay and fight.
Bases are building nicely and the Aleutians are almost built to the point where they can support the resupply of the Kuriles.
Day 2:
KB pops up again around the Aleutians hunting for cripples and fuel tankers. I have them well protected by my bases though.
Around Burma there's a bit of a disaster as my LRCAP refuses to fly and the Netties come for a second day. Over 50 Netties and Kates attack and put 3 torpedoes into one BB, 2 into another and one into a third. This leaves me with only 2 combat-ready BBs around Ramree - although PoW and an R Class are on the way and should arrive in 4 or 5 days.
One of the BBs has 75 flotation damage and the others have sys damage and flotation damage in the 20s to 40s each. I'm responding by beginning to build a Port at Ramree so I can dock the BBs there and remove their minor flotation damage before moving them back to Chittagong and wherever else is required after that.
Well, that's what can happen when you have to fight without carriers... losses are bound to increase.
On the bright side the logistical bases underpinning the airmobile thrust into CENPAC are being provisioned and garrisoned. I still need to figure out how to rescue the 2 divisions cut off and starving in CENPAC. If push comes to shove I'll just have to swallow losses and send in some DDs, xAKs and then fly in some fighters as CAP.
Yes, fires massively increase the visibility of the ship on fire at night.
The next two days....
Well, it seems the spoiling attack worked well, too well. It ran into 3 BB, 3 or 4 CA, about 3 CL and a horde of DDs. I lose the CA and both CLs were damaged but the DDs got out relatively unscathed. No IJN ships made it to the beach landing site overnight and so pulling my transports out was unnecessary - damn !!!!
Over the next couple of days we're going to be dancing around eachother as I try to land supplies and troops and he looks for a good opportunity to hurl his battleline at my forces.
In the meantime I downed about 50 Netties today as they tried to attack my BBs. One BB took a torpedo but she has very light damage and can stay and fight.
Bases are building nicely and the Aleutians are almost built to the point where they can support the resupply of the Kuriles.
Day 2:
KB pops up again around the Aleutians hunting for cripples and fuel tankers. I have them well protected by my bases though.
Around Burma there's a bit of a disaster as my LRCAP refuses to fly and the Netties come for a second day. Over 50 Netties and Kates attack and put 3 torpedoes into one BB, 2 into another and one into a third. This leaves me with only 2 combat-ready BBs around Ramree - although PoW and an R Class are on the way and should arrive in 4 or 5 days.
One of the BBs has 75 flotation damage and the others have sys damage and flotation damage in the 20s to 40s each. I'm responding by beginning to build a Port at Ramree so I can dock the BBs there and remove their minor flotation damage before moving them back to Chittagong and wherever else is required after that.
Well, that's what can happen when you have to fight without carriers... losses are bound to increase.
On the bright side the logistical bases underpinning the airmobile thrust into CENPAC are being provisioned and garrisoned. I still need to figure out how to rescue the 2 divisions cut off and starving in CENPAC. If push comes to shove I'll just have to swallow losses and send in some DDs, xAKs and then fly in some fighters as CAP.
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
Well, that's that settled then.
RE: Offerings to Khorne
We've churned through quite a few turns so I'll just give the highlights:
1. NORPAC:
Damian launched a port attack on Attu as his CVs retreated back to the Kuriles. It cost him 60 of KB's finest. I think he was hoping to catch some BBs in port repairing but they're all back at Attu under a horrendous number of fighters and AAA.
2. CENPAC
I think this will have to be unmasked soon enough so I'll begin giving some details.
My reconnaissance submarines ( all with low aggression skippers so they don't attack anything and give themselves away ) are ranging all the way from Fiji to Rabaul, Truk and Saipan/Marcus. I'm differentiating his bases into three categories, those he has taken but not occupied, those he holds with small forces and those which are hubs/well garrisoned. I won't be touching the well-garrisoned ones as I don't have the strength ---- or the need.
So far I have 25,000 boots on the ground with another 10,000 on the way. I'd like the forces involved to top 60,000 before I unveil it. This will take another month as that's how long it takes to ship things from CONUSA.
I've also pretty much figured out how I'm going to rescue the 2 or so divisions of troops he has trapped and I've got forces in position to undertake that rescue. I won't do it yet though since I don't want to tip my hand.
This means that when I do unmask there's going to be a massive race on between his counter-invasion forces and these rescued troops - whom I need since the US has pretty much no free troops in CENPAC or SOUTHPAC -- the carnage done to Allied forces in this region had to be seen to be believed.
2. China:
He concentrated 5 tank regiments and annihilated a couple of Chinese Corps. He then got a little lucky with an attack at Loyang and forced about 1,500 AV back with heavy losses - about 700 AV. At the coast I've succeeded in my objectives as I've taken 2 ports and have drawn in about 3 to 4 divisions of reserves into the region. I'm settling in now, pinning those reserves in place. I have also brought in the MGBs from west China and am running them through the straits between China and Formosa nightly hoping to catch some merchant shipping. So far all I've done is caught a CL TF which appears to be hunting me.... Great news, 4 CLs and 4 DDs hunting 3 MGBs with no torps instead of fighting it out with me at Ramree.
3. Oz:
I'm massing more and more force vs Darwin but supplies continue to remain a problem. This is fine though as the real point of all of this is just to stop the 60,000 men he has at Darwin from solidifying his lines in the DEI or, even worse, transferring to Burma.
I've pulled another 100 USAAF fighters who were sitting around contributing nothing out of Oz and am sending them to Burma.So in 1 month I'll have double the fighters I had... and this will completely break the back of his air force.
4. Burma
The British and Australians occupy Shwebo and have forced a river crossing 46 miles west of it into the clear hex in between Magwe and Moulmein. I expect Damian to begin railing his troops out of northern Burma ASAP. I'm going to try to intervene a little but won't be doing anything too strenuous as I'm quite happy to concentrate my force and meet his forces inland somewhere where my superior firepower per squad can be brought to bear.
PoW and the R class BB are just 2 days away from joining up with my remaining BBs at Ramree so I will hold off making any moves to reinforce/resupply the beach landing force until they arrive. Then I'll have 4 BBs again and will have a force capable of standing up to the Japanese.
So, all in all, Burma is collapsing and he should be back to the river line just north of Rangoon within the week, China has featured some tough fighting in the centre where he has won some victories but I've won in the south ( and pinned about 3 divs from his strategic reserve ). Oz is serving its purpose in pinning his strategic reserve. CENPAC is going well and NORPAC is secure.
Kuriles:
Well, he landed there yesterday and has about 400 AV ashore. I just had enough time to get the first major sub transport convoy in and set my Catalinas and bombers to fly in supplies and I've managed to resupply pretty much everything I have there. I think that when he attacks he is banking on them being out of supply. Instead he'll find they have supplies and are ready to fight. I think they'll hold. In 3 weeks time when Winter weather rolls in he won't be able to invade again and these outposts will be secure.
So, at this moment in time it looks like with a little luck I'll hold the Aleutians AND the Kuriles and that's an amazing strategic victory given the situation I inherited. It really sets the stage for bringing the Japanese Homeland into action in early 1943.
And all of this actions means that I don't think he suspects there's another major thrust developing sight unseen.

1. NORPAC:
Damian launched a port attack on Attu as his CVs retreated back to the Kuriles. It cost him 60 of KB's finest. I think he was hoping to catch some BBs in port repairing but they're all back at Attu under a horrendous number of fighters and AAA.
2. CENPAC
I think this will have to be unmasked soon enough so I'll begin giving some details.
My reconnaissance submarines ( all with low aggression skippers so they don't attack anything and give themselves away ) are ranging all the way from Fiji to Rabaul, Truk and Saipan/Marcus. I'm differentiating his bases into three categories, those he has taken but not occupied, those he holds with small forces and those which are hubs/well garrisoned. I won't be touching the well-garrisoned ones as I don't have the strength ---- or the need.
So far I have 25,000 boots on the ground with another 10,000 on the way. I'd like the forces involved to top 60,000 before I unveil it. This will take another month as that's how long it takes to ship things from CONUSA.
I've also pretty much figured out how I'm going to rescue the 2 or so divisions of troops he has trapped and I've got forces in position to undertake that rescue. I won't do it yet though since I don't want to tip my hand.
This means that when I do unmask there's going to be a massive race on between his counter-invasion forces and these rescued troops - whom I need since the US has pretty much no free troops in CENPAC or SOUTHPAC -- the carnage done to Allied forces in this region had to be seen to be believed.
2. China:
He concentrated 5 tank regiments and annihilated a couple of Chinese Corps. He then got a little lucky with an attack at Loyang and forced about 1,500 AV back with heavy losses - about 700 AV. At the coast I've succeeded in my objectives as I've taken 2 ports and have drawn in about 3 to 4 divisions of reserves into the region. I'm settling in now, pinning those reserves in place. I have also brought in the MGBs from west China and am running them through the straits between China and Formosa nightly hoping to catch some merchant shipping. So far all I've done is caught a CL TF which appears to be hunting me.... Great news, 4 CLs and 4 DDs hunting 3 MGBs with no torps instead of fighting it out with me at Ramree.
3. Oz:
I'm massing more and more force vs Darwin but supplies continue to remain a problem. This is fine though as the real point of all of this is just to stop the 60,000 men he has at Darwin from solidifying his lines in the DEI or, even worse, transferring to Burma.
I've pulled another 100 USAAF fighters who were sitting around contributing nothing out of Oz and am sending them to Burma.So in 1 month I'll have double the fighters I had... and this will completely break the back of his air force.
4. Burma
The British and Australians occupy Shwebo and have forced a river crossing 46 miles west of it into the clear hex in between Magwe and Moulmein. I expect Damian to begin railing his troops out of northern Burma ASAP. I'm going to try to intervene a little but won't be doing anything too strenuous as I'm quite happy to concentrate my force and meet his forces inland somewhere where my superior firepower per squad can be brought to bear.
PoW and the R class BB are just 2 days away from joining up with my remaining BBs at Ramree so I will hold off making any moves to reinforce/resupply the beach landing force until they arrive. Then I'll have 4 BBs again and will have a force capable of standing up to the Japanese.
So, all in all, Burma is collapsing and he should be back to the river line just north of Rangoon within the week, China has featured some tough fighting in the centre where he has won some victories but I've won in the south ( and pinned about 3 divs from his strategic reserve ). Oz is serving its purpose in pinning his strategic reserve. CENPAC is going well and NORPAC is secure.
Kuriles:
Well, he landed there yesterday and has about 400 AV ashore. I just had enough time to get the first major sub transport convoy in and set my Catalinas and bombers to fly in supplies and I've managed to resupply pretty much everything I have there. I think that when he attacks he is banking on them being out of supply. Instead he'll find they have supplies and are ready to fight. I think they'll hold. In 3 weeks time when Winter weather rolls in he won't be able to invade again and these outposts will be secure.
So, at this moment in time it looks like with a little luck I'll hold the Aleutians AND the Kuriles and that's an amazing strategic victory given the situation I inherited. It really sets the stage for bringing the Japanese Homeland into action in early 1943.
And all of this actions means that I don't think he suspects there's another major thrust developing sight unseen.

- Attachments
-
- 35.jpg (260.98 KiB) Viewed 602 times
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
Well, that's that settled then.
RE: Offerings to Khorne
Having just played a game of 40k tonight, appreciate the post titles
.
Been following both AARs off and on for a while. This is shaping up to be epic.
Been following both AARs off and on for a while. This is shaping up to be epic.
RE: Offerings to Khorne
Today was a quiet day but even the quiet days have a lot of contact in a lot of areas. I'll post a full CR to illustrate.
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Oct 10, 42
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Invasion Support action off Shimushiri-jima (132,51)
Defensive Guns engage approaching landing force
11 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.
Japanese Ships
DMS W-6
DMS W-3
LSD Shinshu Maru
DMS W-6 fired at enemy troops
DMS W-3 fired at enemy troops
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Tsinkiang at 84,61, Range 2,000 Yards
Japanese Ships
CL Jintsu
CL Nagara
CL Isuzu
CL Kuma
DD Yamagumo
DD Oboro
DD Akebono
DD Mutsuki
Allied Ships
PT-32
PT Q-111
PT Q-112
Reduced visibility due to Thunderstorms with 0% moonlight
Maximum visibility in Thunderstorms and 0% moonlight: 2,000 yards
Range closes to 9,000 yards...
Range closes to 8,000 yards...
Range closes to 7,000 yards...
Range closes to 6,000 yards...
Range closes to 5,000 yards...
Range closes to 4,000 yards...
Range closes to 3,000 yards...
Range closes to 2,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 2,000 yards
Japanese open fire on surprised Allied ships at 2,000 yards
DD Akebono collides with CL Jintsu at 84 , 61
Range increases to 6,000 yards
DD Oboro engages PT Q-112 at 6,000 yards
DD Akebono engages PT-32 at 6,000 yards
DD Mutsuki engages PT Q-112 at 6,000 yards
DD Oboro engages PT Q-111 at 6,000 yards
Task forces break off...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Finschhafen at 101,126
Japanese Ships
PB Shinkyo Maru
xAKL Yamashimo Maru
xAKL Tatsuha Maru
PB Tomitu Maru
Allied Ships
SS S-23
SS S-23 launches 2 torpedoes at PB Shinkyo Maru
S-23 diving deep ....
PB Tomitu Maru fails to find sub, continues to search...
PB Tomitu Maru attacking submerged sub ....
PB Tomitu Maru fails to find sub, continues to search...
PB Tomitu Maru fails to find sub, continues to search...
PB Tomitu Maru fails to find sub, continues to search...
Escort abandons search for sub
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Invasion Support action off Shimushiri-jima (132,51)
Defensive Guns engage approaching landing force
29 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.
Japanese Ships
LSD Shinshu Maru
40mm M1 Bofors battery firing at LSD Shinshu Maru
105mm M2 Howitzer battery firing at LSD Shinshu Maru
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Invasion Support action off Shimushiri-jima (132,51)
Defensive Guns engage approaching landing force
13 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.
Japanese Ships
xAK Ryunan Maru
xAP Miike Maru
LSD Shinshu Maru
xAK Ryunan Maru fired at enemy troops
xAP Miike Maru fired at enemy troops
LSD Shinshu Maru fired at enemy troops
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Time Surface Combat, near Pescadores at 84,62, Range 4,000 Yards
Japanese Ships
CL Jintsu
CL Nagara
CL Isuzu
CL Kuma
DD Yamagumo
DD Oboro
DD Akebono
DD Mutsuki
Allied Ships
PT-32
PT Q-111
PT Q-112
Poor visibility due to Thunderstorms
Maximum visibility in Thunderstorms: 4,000 yards
Range closes to 19,000 yards...
Range closes to 17,000 yards...
Range closes to 15,000 yards...
Range closes to 13,000 yards...
Range closes to 11,000 yards...
Range closes to 10,000 yards...
Range closes to 9,000 yards...
Range closes to 8,000 yards...
Range closes to 7,000 yards...
Range closes to 6,000 yards...
Range closes to 5,000 yards...
Range closes to 4,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 4,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 4,000 yards
CL Nagara engages PT Q-112 at 4,000 yards
CL Kuma engages PT Q-112 at 4,000 yards
Range increases to 8,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages PT Q-112 at 8,000 yards
Range increases to 12,000 yards
Task forces break off...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASW attack near Port Hedland at 57,129
Japanese Ships
xAK Konzan Maru
xAK Asahisan Maru
xAK Imizu Maru
PB Kozan Maru
Allied Ships
SS Seal, hits 3
SS Seal is sighted by escort
Seal bottoming out ....
PB Kozan Maru fails to find sub, continues to search...
PB Kozan Maru fails to find sub, continues to search...
PB Kozan Maru fails to find sub, continues to search...
PB Kozan Maru fails to find sub, continues to search...
PB Kozan Maru attacking submerged sub ....
Escort abandons search for sub
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Time Surface Combat, near Clark Field at 78,76, Range 18,000 Yards
PT Boats near Clark Field in October 1942... Yup, they were sitting in a base doing nothing so I put them to work to complicate his convoy system.
Japanese Ships
E Shirataka
xAK Keihuku Maru
xAK Mantai Maru
xAK Tohuku Maru
xAK Taigen Maru
xAK Anzan Maru #2
xAK Enju Maru
xAK Hikosan Maru
xAK Hokko Maru
Allied Ships
MTB 10
MTB 11
Maximum visibility in Clear Conditions: 30,000 yards
Range closes to 17,000 yards...
Range increases to 18,000 yards...
Both Task Forces evade combat
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Submarine attack near Agattu Island at 154,50
Japanese Ships
SS I-173, hits 13, heavy damage
And she sinks. I think I've sunk about 15 IJN subs since taking over, compared to about 4 sunk prior to that. I usually put a fair bit of effort into ASW work and once you've got a focal point for your forces it really pays off.
Allied Ships
APD Waters
AP William Ward Burrows
AK Alhena
xAP Matua
xAP Sarpedonia
xAP William Dawes
xAP James Schureman
xAP General Fleisher
xAK Exchange
xAK Sea Fox
APD Stringham
APD McKean
SS I-173 launches 2 torpedoes at APD Waters
I-173 bottoming out ....
APD Waters fails to find sub and abandons search
APD Stringham attacking submerged sub ....
APD Stringham fails to find sub, continues to search...
APD Stringham attacking submerged sub ....
APD Stringham loses contact with SS I-173
SS I-173 eludes ASW attack from APD Stringham
SS I-173 forced to surface!
APD McKean firing on surfaced sub ....
APD Waters firing on surfaced sub ....
APD McKean firing on surfaced sub ....
APD Waters firing on surfaced sub ....
APD McKean firing on surfaced sub ....
APD Waters firing on surfaced sub ....
APD Stringham firing on surfaced sub ....
APD McKean firing on surfaced sub ....
APD Waters firing on surfaced sub ....
APD Stringham firing on surfaced sub ....
APD McKean firing on surfaced sub ....
APD Waters firing on surfaced sub ....
APD Stringham firing on surfaced sub ....
APD McKean firing on surfaced sub ....
APD Waters firing on surfaced sub ....
APD Stringham firing on surfaced sub ....
APD McKean firing on surfaced sub ....
Sub slips beneath the waves
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Tsiaotso , at 88,42
Weather in hex: Overcast
Raid spotted at 37 NM, estimated altitude 26,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes
Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 31
No Japanese losses
Aircraft Attacking:
31 x Ki-43-Ic Oscar sweeping at 25000 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 3rd Chinese Corps, at 87,45 , near Chengchow
Weather in hex: Overcast
Raid spotted at 18 NM, estimated altitude 4,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes
Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 19
No Japanese losses
Allied ground losses:
117 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 5 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Aircraft Attacking:
19 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 4000 feet
Ground Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 3rd Chinese Corps, at 87,45 , near Chengchow
Weather in hex: Overcast
Raid spotted at 19 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes
Japanese aircraft
Ki-49-Ia Helen x 34
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-49-Ia Helen: 1 damaged
Allied ground losses:
211 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 19 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 14 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Aircraft Attacking:
25 x Ki-49-Ia Helen bombing from 4000 feet
Ground Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb
3 x Ki-49-Ia Helen bombing from 4000 feet
Ground Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb
6 x Ki-49-Ia Helen bombing from 4000 feet
Ground Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb
Also attacking 24th Group Army ...
Also attacking 94th Chinese Corps ...
Also attacking 3rd Chinese Corps ...
Also attacking 24th Group Army ...
Also attacking 94th Chinese Corps ...
Also attacking 3rd Chinese Corps ...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Uruppu-jima , at 130,52
Weather in hex: Thunderstorms
Raid detected at 48 NM, estimated altitude 6,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 17 minutes
Japanese aircraft
D3A1 Val x 12
No Japanese losses
Runway hits 4
Aircraft Attacking:
12 x D3A1 Val bombing from 4000 feet *
Airfield Attack: 2 x 60 kg GP Bomb
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Uruppu-jima , at 130,52
Weather in hex: Thunderstorms
Raid detected at 53 NM, estimated altitude 4,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 15 minutes
Japanese aircraft
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 28
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-45 KAIa Nick: 2 damaged
Allied ground losses:
5 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Airbase hits 2
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 1
Aircraft Attacking:
28 x Ki-45 KAIa Nick bombing from 4000 feet
Airfield Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 24th Group Army, at 87,45 , near Chengchow
Weather in hex: Overcast
Raid spotted at 2 NM, estimated altitude 5,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 0 minutes
Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 5
No Japanese losses
Allied ground losses:
77 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 10 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Aircraft Attacking:
5 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 4000 feet
Ground Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 36th Chinese Corps, at 87,45 , near Chengchow
Weather in hex: Overcast
Raid spotted at 13 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes
Japanese aircraft
Ki-49-Ia Helen x 36
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-49-Ia Helen: 2 damaged
Allied ground losses:
154 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 10 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 14 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Aircraft Attacking:
23 x Ki-49-Ia Helen bombing from 4000 feet
Ground Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb
13 x Ki-49-Ia Helen bombing from 4000 feet
Ground Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 62nd Chinese Corps, at 81,61 (Chaochow)
Weather in hex: Thunderstorms
Raid spotted at 19 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes
Japanese aircraft
E7K2 Alf x 1
Ki-30 Ann x 11
No Japanese losses
Allied ground losses:
17 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Aircraft Attacking:
11 x Ki-30 Ann bombing from 5000 feet
Ground Attack: 1 x 250 kg GP Bomb
Also attacking 9th Prov Chinese Corps ...
Also attacking 62nd Chinese Corps ...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 28th New Chinese Division, at 84,61 (Tsinkiang)
Weather in hex: Overcast
Raid spotted at 18 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes
Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-Ic Sally x 25
Ki-49-Ia Helen x 25
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-Ic Sally: 1 damaged
Allied ground losses:
220 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 19 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 18 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Aircraft Attacking:
25 x Ki-49-Ia Helen bombing from 5000 feet
Ground Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb
25 x Ki-21-Ic Sally bombing from 5000 feet
Ground Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb
Also attacking 99th Chinese Corps ...
Also attacking 28th New Chinese Division ...
Also attacking 99th Chinese Corps ...
Also attacking 28th New Chinese Division ...
Also attacking 99th Chinese Corps ...
Also attacking 28th New Chinese Division ...
Also attacking 99th Chinese Corps ...
Also attacking 28th New Chinese Division ...
Also attacking 99th Chinese Corps ...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Tsiaotso , at 88,42
Weather in hex: Overcast
Raid spotted at 17 NM, estimated altitude 27,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes
Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 3
No Japanese losses
Aircraft Attacking:
3 x Ki-43-Ic Oscar sweeping at 25000 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 5th Chinese Cavalry Corps, at 84,61 (Tsinkiang)
Weather in hex: Overcast
Raid spotted at 5 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 1 minutes
Japanese aircraft
Ki-49-Ia Helen x 29
No Japanese losses
Allied ground losses:
217 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 11 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 15 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Aircraft Attacking:
29 x Ki-49-Ia Helen bombing from 5000 feet
Ground Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Uruppu-jima , at 130,52
Weather in hex: Thunderstorms
Raid detected at 32 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes
Japanese aircraft
Ki-30 Ann x 24
No Japanese losses
Runway hits 2
Aircraft Attacking:
24 x Ki-30 Ann bombing from 5000 feet *
Airfield Attack: 1 x 100 kg GP Bomb
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Uruppu-jima , at 130,52
Weather in hex: Thunderstorms
Raid detected at 27 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes
Japanese aircraft
Ki-30 Ann x 12
No Japanese losses
Runway hits 1
Aircraft Attacking:
12 x Ki-30 Ann bombing from 5000 feet *
Airfield Attack: 1 x 100 kg GP Bomb
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 19th Australian Brigade, at 54,48 (Ramree Island)
I think this must have been a raid made in error... There's no way Damian would sent a Sentai of bombers into Ramree without escorts.
Weather in hex: Heavy cloud
Raid detected at 45 NM, estimated altitude 6,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes
Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 25
Allied aircraft
Martlet II x 8
Hurricane IIc Trop x 16
Kittyhawk IA x 6
P-38F Lightning x 6
P-40E Warhawk x 26
P-40K Warhawk x 16
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-IIa Sally: 11 destroyed, 3 damaged
Ki-21-IIa Sally: 4 destroyed by flak
In reality 6 of the 11 planes which survived the fighter interception were destroyed by FlAK. Ramree is loaded with quite a bit of FlAK although about 2/3rds of all my FlAK in theatre is accompanying the OMG.
No Allied losses
Allied ground losses:
Guns lost 2 (1 destroyed, 1 disabled)
Aircraft Attacking:
6 x Ki-21-IIa Sally bombing from 5000 feet
Ground Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb
CAP engaged:
No.30 Sqn RAF with Hurricane IIc Trop (4 airborne, 4 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(4 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 25000 , scrambling fighters to 7000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 26 minutes
No.135 Sqn RAF with Hurricane IIc Trop (4 airborne, 4 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(4 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 25000 , scrambling fighters to 9000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 14 minutes
No.136 Sqn RAF with Martlet II (2 airborne, 6 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(2 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
2 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 25000 , scrambling fighters between 10000 and 25000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 31 minutes
No.14 Sqn RNZAF with Kittyhawk IA (2 airborne, 4 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(2 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
2 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 25000 , scrambling fighters to 7000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 9 minutes
51st FG/26th FS with P-40K Warhawk (4 airborne, 8 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(4 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 25000 , scrambling fighters between 5000 and 25000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 24 minutes
347th FG/68th FS with P-40E Warhawk (4 airborne, 9 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(4 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 25000 , scrambling fighters between 6000 and 29000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 22 minutes
23rd FG/74th FS with P-40K Warhawk (1 airborne, 3 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(1 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
1 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 25000 , scrambling fighters to 5000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 7 minutes
23rd FG/75th FS with P-40E Warhawk (4 airborne, 9 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(4 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 25000 , scrambling fighters between 8000 and 29000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 25 minutes
23rd FG/76th FS with P-38F Lightning (2 airborne, 4 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(2 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
2 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 25000 , scrambling fighters to 25000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 28 minutes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 33rd Chinese Corps, at 89,40 , near Taiyuan
Weather in hex: Partial cloud
Raid spotted at 14 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes
Japanese aircraft
Ki-49-Ia Helen x 15
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-49-Ia Helen: 1 damaged
Aircraft Attacking:
15 x Ki-49-Ia Helen bombing from 6000 feet
Ground Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Air attack on 1st Australian Brigade, at 76,124 (Darwin)
Weather in hex: Clear sky
Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 6,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 29
G4M1 Betty x 15
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 3
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 3
No Japanese losses
Allied ground losses:
154 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 6 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 10 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Aircraft Attacking:
15 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 5000 feet
Ground Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Air attack on 32nd Infantry Division, at 76,124 (Darwin)
Weather in hex: Clear sky
Raid spotted at 14 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 5
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 25
Ki-49-Ia Helen x 17
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-49-Ia Helen: 2 damaged
Allied ground losses:
70 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 8 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Vehicles lost 2 (1 destroyed, 1 disabled)
Aircraft Attacking:
17 x Ki-49-Ia Helen bombing from 5000 feet
Ground Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Air attack on 32nd Infantry Division, at 76,124 (Darwin)
Weather in hex: Clear sky
Raid spotted at 10 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 3 minutes
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 5
G4M1 Betty x 6
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 3
No Japanese losses
Allied ground losses:
45 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Aircraft Attacking:
6 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 5000 feet
Ground Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Air attack on Fenton , at 76,126
Weather in hex: Severe storms
Raid spotted at 7 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 1 minutes
Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 8
No Japanese losses
Aircraft Attacking:
8 x Ki-44-IIa Tojo sweeping at 15000 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Invasion Support action off Shimushiri-jima (132,51)
Defensive Guns engage approaching landing force
14 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.
Japanese Ships
xAK Ryunan Maru
xAP Miike Maru
LSD Shinshu Maru
xAK Ryunan Maru fired at enemy troops
xAP Miike Maru fired at enemy troops
LSD Shinshu Maru fired at enemy troops
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Shimushiri-jima (132,51)
Japanese Bombardment attack
Attacking force 14570 troops, 183 guns, 42 vehicles, Assault Value = 382
Defending force 8391 troops, 194 guns, 90 vehicles, Assault Value = 233
My troops have full supplies and terrain on their side. Their disruption is very high but I'm hoping that if they can hold the first attack or so then they can be set to take replacements and should regain their strength more rapidly than the IJAAF, IJNAF and IJA can destroy it again.
This also shows how crucial his landing at Attu was. He had a minimum of 700 to 800 AV there. Some was sunk on the way in and a lot was disabled but after landing he still had just under 500 AV. If this force comprised 900 AV instead of 400 then the Kuriles would be toast and there wouldn't be anything I could do about it.
Assaulting units:
22nd Recon Regiment
144th Infantry Regiment
61st Infantry Group
7th Division
Defending units:
6th Marine Regiment
164th Infantry Regiment
132nd Infantry Regiment
2nd Marine Regiment
1st USN Naval Construction Battalion
113th USAAF Base Force
8th USN Naval Construction Battalion
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Chuhsien (88,56)
Japanese Bombardment attack
Attacking force 9758 troops, 80 guns, 18 vehicles, Assault Value = 1265
Defending force 24382 troops, 112 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 795
Assaulting units:
20th Engineer Regiment
17th Ind.Mixed Brigade
22nd Division
54th Division
17th/A Division
Defending units:
88th Chinese Corps
86th Chinese Corps
28th Chinese Corps
16th Construction Regiment
3rd War Area
10th Group Army

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Oct 10, 42
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Invasion Support action off Shimushiri-jima (132,51)
Defensive Guns engage approaching landing force
11 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.
Japanese Ships
DMS W-6
DMS W-3
LSD Shinshu Maru
DMS W-6 fired at enemy troops
DMS W-3 fired at enemy troops
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Tsinkiang at 84,61, Range 2,000 Yards
Japanese Ships
CL Jintsu
CL Nagara
CL Isuzu
CL Kuma
DD Yamagumo
DD Oboro
DD Akebono
DD Mutsuki
Allied Ships
PT-32
PT Q-111
PT Q-112
Reduced visibility due to Thunderstorms with 0% moonlight
Maximum visibility in Thunderstorms and 0% moonlight: 2,000 yards
Range closes to 9,000 yards...
Range closes to 8,000 yards...
Range closes to 7,000 yards...
Range closes to 6,000 yards...
Range closes to 5,000 yards...
Range closes to 4,000 yards...
Range closes to 3,000 yards...
Range closes to 2,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 2,000 yards
Japanese open fire on surprised Allied ships at 2,000 yards
DD Akebono collides with CL Jintsu at 84 , 61
Range increases to 6,000 yards
DD Oboro engages PT Q-112 at 6,000 yards
DD Akebono engages PT-32 at 6,000 yards
DD Mutsuki engages PT Q-112 at 6,000 yards
DD Oboro engages PT Q-111 at 6,000 yards
Task forces break off...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Finschhafen at 101,126
Japanese Ships
PB Shinkyo Maru
xAKL Yamashimo Maru
xAKL Tatsuha Maru
PB Tomitu Maru
Allied Ships
SS S-23
SS S-23 launches 2 torpedoes at PB Shinkyo Maru
S-23 diving deep ....
PB Tomitu Maru fails to find sub, continues to search...
PB Tomitu Maru attacking submerged sub ....
PB Tomitu Maru fails to find sub, continues to search...
PB Tomitu Maru fails to find sub, continues to search...
PB Tomitu Maru fails to find sub, continues to search...
Escort abandons search for sub
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Invasion Support action off Shimushiri-jima (132,51)
Defensive Guns engage approaching landing force
29 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.
Japanese Ships
LSD Shinshu Maru
40mm M1 Bofors battery firing at LSD Shinshu Maru
105mm M2 Howitzer battery firing at LSD Shinshu Maru
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Invasion Support action off Shimushiri-jima (132,51)
Defensive Guns engage approaching landing force
13 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.
Japanese Ships
xAK Ryunan Maru
xAP Miike Maru
LSD Shinshu Maru
xAK Ryunan Maru fired at enemy troops
xAP Miike Maru fired at enemy troops
LSD Shinshu Maru fired at enemy troops
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Time Surface Combat, near Pescadores at 84,62, Range 4,000 Yards
Japanese Ships
CL Jintsu
CL Nagara
CL Isuzu
CL Kuma
DD Yamagumo
DD Oboro
DD Akebono
DD Mutsuki
Allied Ships
PT-32
PT Q-111
PT Q-112
Poor visibility due to Thunderstorms
Maximum visibility in Thunderstorms: 4,000 yards
Range closes to 19,000 yards...
Range closes to 17,000 yards...
Range closes to 15,000 yards...
Range closes to 13,000 yards...
Range closes to 11,000 yards...
Range closes to 10,000 yards...
Range closes to 9,000 yards...
Range closes to 8,000 yards...
Range closes to 7,000 yards...
Range closes to 6,000 yards...
Range closes to 5,000 yards...
Range closes to 4,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 4,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 4,000 yards
CL Nagara engages PT Q-112 at 4,000 yards
CL Kuma engages PT Q-112 at 4,000 yards
Range increases to 8,000 yards
DD Yamagumo engages PT Q-112 at 8,000 yards
Range increases to 12,000 yards
Task forces break off...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASW attack near Port Hedland at 57,129
Japanese Ships
xAK Konzan Maru
xAK Asahisan Maru
xAK Imizu Maru
PB Kozan Maru
Allied Ships
SS Seal, hits 3
SS Seal is sighted by escort
Seal bottoming out ....
PB Kozan Maru fails to find sub, continues to search...
PB Kozan Maru fails to find sub, continues to search...
PB Kozan Maru fails to find sub, continues to search...
PB Kozan Maru fails to find sub, continues to search...
PB Kozan Maru attacking submerged sub ....
Escort abandons search for sub
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Time Surface Combat, near Clark Field at 78,76, Range 18,000 Yards
PT Boats near Clark Field in October 1942... Yup, they were sitting in a base doing nothing so I put them to work to complicate his convoy system.
Japanese Ships
E Shirataka
xAK Keihuku Maru
xAK Mantai Maru
xAK Tohuku Maru
xAK Taigen Maru
xAK Anzan Maru #2
xAK Enju Maru
xAK Hikosan Maru
xAK Hokko Maru
Allied Ships
MTB 10
MTB 11
Maximum visibility in Clear Conditions: 30,000 yards
Range closes to 17,000 yards...
Range increases to 18,000 yards...
Both Task Forces evade combat
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Submarine attack near Agattu Island at 154,50
Japanese Ships
SS I-173, hits 13, heavy damage
And she sinks. I think I've sunk about 15 IJN subs since taking over, compared to about 4 sunk prior to that. I usually put a fair bit of effort into ASW work and once you've got a focal point for your forces it really pays off.
Allied Ships
APD Waters
AP William Ward Burrows
AK Alhena
xAP Matua
xAP Sarpedonia
xAP William Dawes
xAP James Schureman
xAP General Fleisher
xAK Exchange
xAK Sea Fox
APD Stringham
APD McKean
SS I-173 launches 2 torpedoes at APD Waters
I-173 bottoming out ....
APD Waters fails to find sub and abandons search
APD Stringham attacking submerged sub ....
APD Stringham fails to find sub, continues to search...
APD Stringham attacking submerged sub ....
APD Stringham loses contact with SS I-173
SS I-173 eludes ASW attack from APD Stringham
SS I-173 forced to surface!
APD McKean firing on surfaced sub ....
APD Waters firing on surfaced sub ....
APD McKean firing on surfaced sub ....
APD Waters firing on surfaced sub ....
APD McKean firing on surfaced sub ....
APD Waters firing on surfaced sub ....
APD Stringham firing on surfaced sub ....
APD McKean firing on surfaced sub ....
APD Waters firing on surfaced sub ....
APD Stringham firing on surfaced sub ....
APD McKean firing on surfaced sub ....
APD Waters firing on surfaced sub ....
APD Stringham firing on surfaced sub ....
APD McKean firing on surfaced sub ....
APD Waters firing on surfaced sub ....
APD Stringham firing on surfaced sub ....
APD McKean firing on surfaced sub ....
Sub slips beneath the waves
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Tsiaotso , at 88,42
Weather in hex: Overcast
Raid spotted at 37 NM, estimated altitude 26,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes
Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 31
No Japanese losses
Aircraft Attacking:
31 x Ki-43-Ic Oscar sweeping at 25000 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 3rd Chinese Corps, at 87,45 , near Chengchow
Weather in hex: Overcast
Raid spotted at 18 NM, estimated altitude 4,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes
Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 19
No Japanese losses
Allied ground losses:
117 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 5 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Aircraft Attacking:
19 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 4000 feet
Ground Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 3rd Chinese Corps, at 87,45 , near Chengchow
Weather in hex: Overcast
Raid spotted at 19 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes
Japanese aircraft
Ki-49-Ia Helen x 34
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-49-Ia Helen: 1 damaged
Allied ground losses:
211 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 19 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 14 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Aircraft Attacking:
25 x Ki-49-Ia Helen bombing from 4000 feet
Ground Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb
3 x Ki-49-Ia Helen bombing from 4000 feet
Ground Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb
6 x Ki-49-Ia Helen bombing from 4000 feet
Ground Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb
Also attacking 24th Group Army ...
Also attacking 94th Chinese Corps ...
Also attacking 3rd Chinese Corps ...
Also attacking 24th Group Army ...
Also attacking 94th Chinese Corps ...
Also attacking 3rd Chinese Corps ...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Uruppu-jima , at 130,52
Weather in hex: Thunderstorms
Raid detected at 48 NM, estimated altitude 6,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 17 minutes
Japanese aircraft
D3A1 Val x 12
No Japanese losses
Runway hits 4
Aircraft Attacking:
12 x D3A1 Val bombing from 4000 feet *
Airfield Attack: 2 x 60 kg GP Bomb
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Uruppu-jima , at 130,52
Weather in hex: Thunderstorms
Raid detected at 53 NM, estimated altitude 4,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 15 minutes
Japanese aircraft
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 28
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-45 KAIa Nick: 2 damaged
Allied ground losses:
5 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Airbase hits 2
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 1
Aircraft Attacking:
28 x Ki-45 KAIa Nick bombing from 4000 feet
Airfield Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 24th Group Army, at 87,45 , near Chengchow
Weather in hex: Overcast
Raid spotted at 2 NM, estimated altitude 5,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 0 minutes
Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 5
No Japanese losses
Allied ground losses:
77 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 10 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Aircraft Attacking:
5 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 4000 feet
Ground Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 36th Chinese Corps, at 87,45 , near Chengchow
Weather in hex: Overcast
Raid spotted at 13 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes
Japanese aircraft
Ki-49-Ia Helen x 36
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-49-Ia Helen: 2 damaged
Allied ground losses:
154 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 10 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 14 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Aircraft Attacking:
23 x Ki-49-Ia Helen bombing from 4000 feet
Ground Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb
13 x Ki-49-Ia Helen bombing from 4000 feet
Ground Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 62nd Chinese Corps, at 81,61 (Chaochow)
Weather in hex: Thunderstorms
Raid spotted at 19 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes
Japanese aircraft
E7K2 Alf x 1
Ki-30 Ann x 11
No Japanese losses
Allied ground losses:
17 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Aircraft Attacking:
11 x Ki-30 Ann bombing from 5000 feet
Ground Attack: 1 x 250 kg GP Bomb
Also attacking 9th Prov Chinese Corps ...
Also attacking 62nd Chinese Corps ...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 28th New Chinese Division, at 84,61 (Tsinkiang)
Weather in hex: Overcast
Raid spotted at 18 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes
Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-Ic Sally x 25
Ki-49-Ia Helen x 25
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-Ic Sally: 1 damaged
Allied ground losses:
220 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 19 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 18 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Aircraft Attacking:
25 x Ki-49-Ia Helen bombing from 5000 feet
Ground Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb
25 x Ki-21-Ic Sally bombing from 5000 feet
Ground Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb
Also attacking 99th Chinese Corps ...
Also attacking 28th New Chinese Division ...
Also attacking 99th Chinese Corps ...
Also attacking 28th New Chinese Division ...
Also attacking 99th Chinese Corps ...
Also attacking 28th New Chinese Division ...
Also attacking 99th Chinese Corps ...
Also attacking 28th New Chinese Division ...
Also attacking 99th Chinese Corps ...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Tsiaotso , at 88,42
Weather in hex: Overcast
Raid spotted at 17 NM, estimated altitude 27,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes
Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 3
No Japanese losses
Aircraft Attacking:
3 x Ki-43-Ic Oscar sweeping at 25000 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 5th Chinese Cavalry Corps, at 84,61 (Tsinkiang)
Weather in hex: Overcast
Raid spotted at 5 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 1 minutes
Japanese aircraft
Ki-49-Ia Helen x 29
No Japanese losses
Allied ground losses:
217 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 11 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 15 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Aircraft Attacking:
29 x Ki-49-Ia Helen bombing from 5000 feet
Ground Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Uruppu-jima , at 130,52
Weather in hex: Thunderstorms
Raid detected at 32 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes
Japanese aircraft
Ki-30 Ann x 24
No Japanese losses
Runway hits 2
Aircraft Attacking:
24 x Ki-30 Ann bombing from 5000 feet *
Airfield Attack: 1 x 100 kg GP Bomb
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Uruppu-jima , at 130,52
Weather in hex: Thunderstorms
Raid detected at 27 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes
Japanese aircraft
Ki-30 Ann x 12
No Japanese losses
Runway hits 1
Aircraft Attacking:
12 x Ki-30 Ann bombing from 5000 feet *
Airfield Attack: 1 x 100 kg GP Bomb
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 19th Australian Brigade, at 54,48 (Ramree Island)
I think this must have been a raid made in error... There's no way Damian would sent a Sentai of bombers into Ramree without escorts.
Weather in hex: Heavy cloud
Raid detected at 45 NM, estimated altitude 6,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes
Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 25
Allied aircraft
Martlet II x 8
Hurricane IIc Trop x 16
Kittyhawk IA x 6
P-38F Lightning x 6
P-40E Warhawk x 26
P-40K Warhawk x 16
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-IIa Sally: 11 destroyed, 3 damaged
Ki-21-IIa Sally: 4 destroyed by flak
In reality 6 of the 11 planes which survived the fighter interception were destroyed by FlAK. Ramree is loaded with quite a bit of FlAK although about 2/3rds of all my FlAK in theatre is accompanying the OMG.
No Allied losses
Allied ground losses:
Guns lost 2 (1 destroyed, 1 disabled)
Aircraft Attacking:
6 x Ki-21-IIa Sally bombing from 5000 feet
Ground Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb
CAP engaged:
No.30 Sqn RAF with Hurricane IIc Trop (4 airborne, 4 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(4 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 25000 , scrambling fighters to 7000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 26 minutes
No.135 Sqn RAF with Hurricane IIc Trop (4 airborne, 4 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(4 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 25000 , scrambling fighters to 9000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 14 minutes
No.136 Sqn RAF with Martlet II (2 airborne, 6 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(2 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
2 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 25000 , scrambling fighters between 10000 and 25000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 31 minutes
No.14 Sqn RNZAF with Kittyhawk IA (2 airborne, 4 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(2 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
2 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 25000 , scrambling fighters to 7000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 9 minutes
51st FG/26th FS with P-40K Warhawk (4 airborne, 8 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(4 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 25000 , scrambling fighters between 5000 and 25000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 24 minutes
347th FG/68th FS with P-40E Warhawk (4 airborne, 9 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(4 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 25000 , scrambling fighters between 6000 and 29000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 22 minutes
23rd FG/74th FS with P-40K Warhawk (1 airborne, 3 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(1 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
1 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 25000 , scrambling fighters to 5000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 7 minutes
23rd FG/75th FS with P-40E Warhawk (4 airborne, 9 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(4 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 25000 , scrambling fighters between 8000 and 29000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 25 minutes
23rd FG/76th FS with P-38F Lightning (2 airborne, 4 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(2 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
2 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 25000 , scrambling fighters to 25000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 28 minutes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 33rd Chinese Corps, at 89,40 , near Taiyuan
Weather in hex: Partial cloud
Raid spotted at 14 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes
Japanese aircraft
Ki-49-Ia Helen x 15
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-49-Ia Helen: 1 damaged
Aircraft Attacking:
15 x Ki-49-Ia Helen bombing from 6000 feet
Ground Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Air attack on 1st Australian Brigade, at 76,124 (Darwin)
Weather in hex: Clear sky
Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 6,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 29
G4M1 Betty x 15
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 3
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 3
No Japanese losses
Allied ground losses:
154 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 6 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 10 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Aircraft Attacking:
15 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 5000 feet
Ground Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Air attack on 32nd Infantry Division, at 76,124 (Darwin)
Weather in hex: Clear sky
Raid spotted at 14 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 5
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 25
Ki-49-Ia Helen x 17
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-49-Ia Helen: 2 damaged
Allied ground losses:
70 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 8 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Vehicles lost 2 (1 destroyed, 1 disabled)
Aircraft Attacking:
17 x Ki-49-Ia Helen bombing from 5000 feet
Ground Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Air attack on 32nd Infantry Division, at 76,124 (Darwin)
Weather in hex: Clear sky
Raid spotted at 10 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 3 minutes
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 5
G4M1 Betty x 6
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 3
No Japanese losses
Allied ground losses:
45 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Aircraft Attacking:
6 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 5000 feet
Ground Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Air attack on Fenton , at 76,126
Weather in hex: Severe storms
Raid spotted at 7 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 1 minutes
Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 8
No Japanese losses
Aircraft Attacking:
8 x Ki-44-IIa Tojo sweeping at 15000 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Invasion Support action off Shimushiri-jima (132,51)
Defensive Guns engage approaching landing force
14 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.
Japanese Ships
xAK Ryunan Maru
xAP Miike Maru
LSD Shinshu Maru
xAK Ryunan Maru fired at enemy troops
xAP Miike Maru fired at enemy troops
LSD Shinshu Maru fired at enemy troops
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Shimushiri-jima (132,51)
Japanese Bombardment attack
Attacking force 14570 troops, 183 guns, 42 vehicles, Assault Value = 382
Defending force 8391 troops, 194 guns, 90 vehicles, Assault Value = 233
My troops have full supplies and terrain on their side. Their disruption is very high but I'm hoping that if they can hold the first attack or so then they can be set to take replacements and should regain their strength more rapidly than the IJAAF, IJNAF and IJA can destroy it again.
This also shows how crucial his landing at Attu was. He had a minimum of 700 to 800 AV there. Some was sunk on the way in and a lot was disabled but after landing he still had just under 500 AV. If this force comprised 900 AV instead of 400 then the Kuriles would be toast and there wouldn't be anything I could do about it.
Assaulting units:
22nd Recon Regiment
144th Infantry Regiment
61st Infantry Group
7th Division
Defending units:
6th Marine Regiment
164th Infantry Regiment
132nd Infantry Regiment
2nd Marine Regiment
1st USN Naval Construction Battalion
113th USAAF Base Force
8th USN Naval Construction Battalion
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Chuhsien (88,56)
Japanese Bombardment attack
Attacking force 9758 troops, 80 guns, 18 vehicles, Assault Value = 1265
Defending force 24382 troops, 112 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 795
Assaulting units:
20th Engineer Regiment
17th Ind.Mixed Brigade
22nd Division
54th Division
17th/A Division
Defending units:
88th Chinese Corps
86th Chinese Corps
28th Chinese Corps
16th Construction Regiment
3rd War Area
10th Group Army

- Attachments
-
- 36.jpg (175.15 KiB) Viewed 602 times
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
Well, that's that settled then.
RE: Offerings to Khorne
11th October 1942
Two of the MTBs tooling around the Philippines were found and sunk by IJN naval assets - assets which aren't interdicting my forces at Akyab.
Massive air attacks on Shimushiri Jima by over 200 bombers reduced supplies below necessary levels for full AV in combat. I'll keep flying supplies in though as I really would like to hold one of these islands.
At Akyab the PoW and the RN BC join up with the BBs which remain undamaged. So, overall, I have 4 BBs again and am free to push southward again.
In central Burma the Allies are across the river and exploiting forward. I have 2 Bdes at Magwe and 2 Bdes plus a Tank Regt at Mandalay. I assume that the enemy in both of those bases are getting ready to move out by rail (using strategic movement ) so I've ordered attacks for tomorrow. With a little luck I might catch them before they move out and inflict crushing losses. If I miss them then I'll progress southward myself as rapidly as possible with a view to attacking their next defensive line before it has time to solidify itself. The landings east of Bassein have achieved their primary objective of winning me Burma speedily and at almost no cost.
Now let's see if I can land the OMG and turn a fighting withdrawal into an utter rout.

Two of the MTBs tooling around the Philippines were found and sunk by IJN naval assets - assets which aren't interdicting my forces at Akyab.
Massive air attacks on Shimushiri Jima by over 200 bombers reduced supplies below necessary levels for full AV in combat. I'll keep flying supplies in though as I really would like to hold one of these islands.
At Akyab the PoW and the RN BC join up with the BBs which remain undamaged. So, overall, I have 4 BBs again and am free to push southward again.
In central Burma the Allies are across the river and exploiting forward. I have 2 Bdes at Magwe and 2 Bdes plus a Tank Regt at Mandalay. I assume that the enemy in both of those bases are getting ready to move out by rail (using strategic movement ) so I've ordered attacks for tomorrow. With a little luck I might catch them before they move out and inflict crushing losses. If I miss them then I'll progress southward myself as rapidly as possible with a view to attacking their next defensive line before it has time to solidify itself. The landings east of Bassein have achieved their primary objective of winning me Burma speedily and at almost no cost.
Now let's see if I can land the OMG and turn a fighting withdrawal into an utter rout.

- Attachments
-
- 37.jpg (370.72 KiB) Viewed 602 times
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
Well, that's that settled then.
RE: Offerings to Khorne
12th October 1942
The pressure around Bassein tells and the IJA forces facing mine prove insufficient to the task of holding the riverline. Magwe falls and his troops at Mandalay are caught in Strategic Mode and take significant losses.
Tomorrow I'll begin exploiting towards Prome, drop paras at Toungou etc to disrupt attempts to strategic rail out and begin the next phase of landingst near Bassein.
Ground combat at Magwe (57,47)
Allied Deliberate attack
Attacking force 9430 troops, 132 guns, 202 vehicles, Assault Value = 288
Defending force 5604 troops, 61 guns, 42 vehicles, Assault Value = 105
Allied adjusted assault: 168
Japanese adjusted defense: 31
Allied assault odds: 5 to 1 (fort level 0)
Allied forces CAPTURE Magwe !!!
Combat modifiers
Defender: op mode(-), preparation(-)
Attacker:
Japanese ground losses:
2049 casualties reported
Squads: 23 destroyed, 34 disabled
Non Combat: 104 destroyed, 14 disabled
Engineers: 44 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 16 (11 destroyed, 5 disabled)
Vehicles lost 34 (33 destroyed, 1 disabled)
Units retreated 5
Allied ground losses:
105 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 12 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Defeated Japanese Units Retreating!
Assaulting units:
16th Australian Brigade
17th Australian Brigade
Defending units:
56th Recon Regiment
1st Raiding Regiment
17th JAAF AF Bn
35th Field AA Battalion
84th JAAF AF Bn
93rd JAAF AF Bn
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Mandalay (59,46)
Allied Deliberate attack
Attacking force 5833 troops, 84 guns, 119 vehicles, Assault Value = 285
Defending force 8088 troops, 161 guns, 8 vehicles, Assault Value = 269
Allied adjusted assault: 259
Japanese adjusted defense: 122
Allied assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 3)
Allied Assault reduces fortifications to 2
Note that the defender are stronger to me but have been manoeuvred out of their strong positions by flanking attacks and deep thrusts.
Combat modifiers
Defender: forts(+), op mode(-), leaders(+), preparation(-)
experience(-)
Attacker:
Japanese ground losses:
695 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 63 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 11 disabled
Allied ground losses:
166 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 18 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 9 (1 destroyed, 8 disabled)
Vehicles lost 13 (1 destroyed, 12 disabled)
Assaulting units:
14th British Brigade
3rd Carabiniers Regiment
23rd British Brigade
Defending units:
113th Infantry Regiment
15th Ind. Engineer Regiment
143rd Infantry Regiment
So, overall, Burma is coming along nicely.... as is CENPAC - another convoy has arrived today and Damian still hasn't caught a peep through naval,, submarine or aerial recon assets.

The pressure around Bassein tells and the IJA forces facing mine prove insufficient to the task of holding the riverline. Magwe falls and his troops at Mandalay are caught in Strategic Mode and take significant losses.
Tomorrow I'll begin exploiting towards Prome, drop paras at Toungou etc to disrupt attempts to strategic rail out and begin the next phase of landingst near Bassein.
Ground combat at Magwe (57,47)
Allied Deliberate attack
Attacking force 9430 troops, 132 guns, 202 vehicles, Assault Value = 288
Defending force 5604 troops, 61 guns, 42 vehicles, Assault Value = 105
Allied adjusted assault: 168
Japanese adjusted defense: 31
Allied assault odds: 5 to 1 (fort level 0)
Allied forces CAPTURE Magwe !!!
Combat modifiers
Defender: op mode(-), preparation(-)
Attacker:
Japanese ground losses:
2049 casualties reported
Squads: 23 destroyed, 34 disabled
Non Combat: 104 destroyed, 14 disabled
Engineers: 44 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 16 (11 destroyed, 5 disabled)
Vehicles lost 34 (33 destroyed, 1 disabled)
Units retreated 5
Allied ground losses:
105 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 12 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Defeated Japanese Units Retreating!
Assaulting units:
16th Australian Brigade
17th Australian Brigade
Defending units:
56th Recon Regiment
1st Raiding Regiment
17th JAAF AF Bn
35th Field AA Battalion
84th JAAF AF Bn
93rd JAAF AF Bn
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Mandalay (59,46)
Allied Deliberate attack
Attacking force 5833 troops, 84 guns, 119 vehicles, Assault Value = 285
Defending force 8088 troops, 161 guns, 8 vehicles, Assault Value = 269
Allied adjusted assault: 259
Japanese adjusted defense: 122
Allied assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 3)
Allied Assault reduces fortifications to 2
Note that the defender are stronger to me but have been manoeuvred out of their strong positions by flanking attacks and deep thrusts.
Combat modifiers
Defender: forts(+), op mode(-), leaders(+), preparation(-)
experience(-)
Attacker:
Japanese ground losses:
695 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 63 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 11 disabled
Allied ground losses:
166 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 18 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 9 (1 destroyed, 8 disabled)
Vehicles lost 13 (1 destroyed, 12 disabled)
Assaulting units:
14th British Brigade
3rd Carabiniers Regiment
23rd British Brigade
Defending units:
113th Infantry Regiment
15th Ind. Engineer Regiment
143rd Infantry Regiment
So, overall, Burma is coming along nicely.... as is CENPAC - another convoy has arrived today and Damian still hasn't caught a peep through naval,, submarine or aerial recon assets.

- Attachments
-
- 38.jpg (315.35 KiB) Viewed 602 times
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
Well, that's that settled then.
RE: Offerings to Khorne
IMO the Jap player has to know when its time to up sticks from the northern bases in Burma. Once the fort level is down to 3 in a clear hex its time evacuate. I defend a line of Rangoon-Toungoo-Taung Gyi for as long as possible...if you can get the later pair up to 6 forts they are very tough nuts to crack. Have to make sure you can keep the rail lines open however. Of course the Allies could always march down the coast, take Bassien and then cross the river into Rangoon, but that's a very bad idea assuming the Japs have full forts and 1500AV there.
RE: Offerings to Khorne
13th October 1942
I landed another 300 AV near Bassein but it looks like a large IJN SC TF is in position to bombard Ramree. I don't have the naval forces to cover my amphibs and Ramree at the same time so I need to pull back and protect it - again. It is a bit frustrating but eventually the OMG will be fully unloaded and then things will really speed up. Damian's playing a very skillful game here of keeping his fleet in being to threaten several of my groupings, all of which must be protected such that I can't just stick with invasion unloading, take my losses in a day or two and then be done with it. If he committed his forces to the fight then they'd be so worn down I'd gain freedom of action so this whole dance of threatening but never committing is precisely the right thing to do.
Losses so far have been very light although 3 xAKLs went down today when they refuelled mid-ocean and thus avoided LRCAP over the landing beach.... IJNAF forces attempted to intervene over the landing beaches and suffered heavily. They got some torpedo hits in through sheer numbers but nothing significant. Overall I lost 7 planes to 56 Japanese during the day.
The big news today really is that my paradrops on Toungou and Taung Gyi worked rather well and I took both bases. This effectively cuts off 2.5 IJA divisions in northern Burma... Well, they can move down the trails from Lashio to Taung Gyi or east of it to Thailand via the jungle paths but they're definitely not going to be involved in deciding the outcome in Burma anymore. The amount of time it'll take them to get to Thailand means they are unlikely to be able to be involved in resisting the OMG's thrust into Burma either.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Shimushiri-jima (132,51)
Allied Bombardment attack
Attacking force 1793 troops, 27 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 228
Defending force 21176 troops, 232 guns, 56 vehicles, Assault Value = 586
Assaulting units:
164th Infantry Regiment
132nd Infantry Regiment
6th Marine Regiment
2nd Marine Regiment
1st USN Naval Construction Battalion
113th USAAF Base Force
8th USN Naval Construction Battalion
Defending units:
144th Infantry Regiment
7th Division
61st Infantry Group
22nd Recon Regiment
14th Garrison Unit
18th Garrison Unit
Maizuru 2nd SNLF /1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Mandalay (59,46)
Allied Shock attack
Attacking force 5710 troops, 83 guns, 118 vehicles, Assault Value = 258
Defending force 7453 troops, 161 guns, 8 vehicles, Assault Value = 216
Allied adjusted assault: 229
Japanese adjusted defense: 216
Allied assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 2)
Allied Assault reduces fortifications to 1
Combat modifiers
Defender: op mode(-), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+), fatigue(-), supply(-)
Japanese ground losses:
605 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 13 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Engineers: 26 destroyed, 4 disabled
Vehicles lost 2 (1 destroyed, 1 disabled)
Allied ground losses:
142 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 24 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Vehicles lost 37 (1 destroyed, 36 disabled)
I'm utterly out of supplies but am relying on bombing raids and sheer persistence while he is in Strat Move mode to see my through. I'm rushing another 2 Bdes to the area also. I can't let Damian realise just how tenuous my supplies are.
Assaulting units:
3rd Carabiniers Regiment
14th British Brigade
23rd British Brigade
Defending units:
15th Ind. Engineer Regiment
113th Infantry Regiment
143rd Infantry Regiment
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Taung Gyi (59,48)
Allied Shock attack
Attacking force 174 troops, 6 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 13
Defending force 0 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 0
Allied adjusted assault: 6
Japanese adjusted defense: 1
Allied assault odds: 6 to 1 (fort level 0)
Allied forces CAPTURE Taung Gyi !!!
Combat modifiers
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(-)
Assaulting units:
77th Chindit Bde /1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Toungoo (57,50)
Allied Shock attack
Attacking force 753 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 39
Defending force 1155 troops, 14 guns, 52 vehicles, Assault Value = 39
His forces were superior but they were caught in Strat Move mode and thus were easy pickings.
Allied adjusted assault: 26
Japanese adjusted defense: 9
Allied assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 0)
Allied forces CAPTURE Toungoo !!!
Japanese aircraft
no flights
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-46-II Dinah: 5 destroyed
Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), op mode(-), preparation(-), fatigue(-)
experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(+), leaders(-)
Japanese ground losses:
136 casualties reported
Squads: 8 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 30 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 7 (6 destroyed, 1 disabled)
Vehicles lost 50 (49 destroyed, 1 disabled)
Units retreated 2
Allied ground losses:
5 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Assaulting units:
77th Chindit Bde /2
Defending units:
2nd Recon Regiment
21st Medium Field Artillery Battalion
Another Chindit Bde is in action now and I'll begin actively searching for targets deep in Thailand and Vietnam ASAP.
In other news: He has brought more troops into Shimishuru-Jima. Hmm, it may not hold after all. I need to make a decision. Should I accept its loss and just begin flying supplies to Urrupu-Jima now or should I keep supplying it and try to hold both. Hmm........

I landed another 300 AV near Bassein but it looks like a large IJN SC TF is in position to bombard Ramree. I don't have the naval forces to cover my amphibs and Ramree at the same time so I need to pull back and protect it - again. It is a bit frustrating but eventually the OMG will be fully unloaded and then things will really speed up. Damian's playing a very skillful game here of keeping his fleet in being to threaten several of my groupings, all of which must be protected such that I can't just stick with invasion unloading, take my losses in a day or two and then be done with it. If he committed his forces to the fight then they'd be so worn down I'd gain freedom of action so this whole dance of threatening but never committing is precisely the right thing to do.
Losses so far have been very light although 3 xAKLs went down today when they refuelled mid-ocean and thus avoided LRCAP over the landing beach.... IJNAF forces attempted to intervene over the landing beaches and suffered heavily. They got some torpedo hits in through sheer numbers but nothing significant. Overall I lost 7 planes to 56 Japanese during the day.
The big news today really is that my paradrops on Toungou and Taung Gyi worked rather well and I took both bases. This effectively cuts off 2.5 IJA divisions in northern Burma... Well, they can move down the trails from Lashio to Taung Gyi or east of it to Thailand via the jungle paths but they're definitely not going to be involved in deciding the outcome in Burma anymore. The amount of time it'll take them to get to Thailand means they are unlikely to be able to be involved in resisting the OMG's thrust into Burma either.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Shimushiri-jima (132,51)
Allied Bombardment attack
Attacking force 1793 troops, 27 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 228
Defending force 21176 troops, 232 guns, 56 vehicles, Assault Value = 586
Assaulting units:
164th Infantry Regiment
132nd Infantry Regiment
6th Marine Regiment
2nd Marine Regiment
1st USN Naval Construction Battalion
113th USAAF Base Force
8th USN Naval Construction Battalion
Defending units:
144th Infantry Regiment
7th Division
61st Infantry Group
22nd Recon Regiment
14th Garrison Unit
18th Garrison Unit
Maizuru 2nd SNLF /1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Mandalay (59,46)
Allied Shock attack
Attacking force 5710 troops, 83 guns, 118 vehicles, Assault Value = 258
Defending force 7453 troops, 161 guns, 8 vehicles, Assault Value = 216
Allied adjusted assault: 229
Japanese adjusted defense: 216
Allied assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 2)
Allied Assault reduces fortifications to 1
Combat modifiers
Defender: op mode(-), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+), fatigue(-), supply(-)
Japanese ground losses:
605 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 13 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Engineers: 26 destroyed, 4 disabled
Vehicles lost 2 (1 destroyed, 1 disabled)
Allied ground losses:
142 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 24 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Vehicles lost 37 (1 destroyed, 36 disabled)
I'm utterly out of supplies but am relying on bombing raids and sheer persistence while he is in Strat Move mode to see my through. I'm rushing another 2 Bdes to the area also. I can't let Damian realise just how tenuous my supplies are.
Assaulting units:
3rd Carabiniers Regiment
14th British Brigade
23rd British Brigade
Defending units:
15th Ind. Engineer Regiment
113th Infantry Regiment
143rd Infantry Regiment
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Taung Gyi (59,48)
Allied Shock attack
Attacking force 174 troops, 6 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 13
Defending force 0 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 0
Allied adjusted assault: 6
Japanese adjusted defense: 1
Allied assault odds: 6 to 1 (fort level 0)
Allied forces CAPTURE Taung Gyi !!!
Combat modifiers
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(-)
Assaulting units:
77th Chindit Bde /1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Toungoo (57,50)
Allied Shock attack
Attacking force 753 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 39
Defending force 1155 troops, 14 guns, 52 vehicles, Assault Value = 39
His forces were superior but they were caught in Strat Move mode and thus were easy pickings.
Allied adjusted assault: 26
Japanese adjusted defense: 9
Allied assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 0)
Allied forces CAPTURE Toungoo !!!
Japanese aircraft
no flights
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-46-II Dinah: 5 destroyed
Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), op mode(-), preparation(-), fatigue(-)
experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(+), leaders(-)
Japanese ground losses:
136 casualties reported
Squads: 8 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 30 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 7 (6 destroyed, 1 disabled)
Vehicles lost 50 (49 destroyed, 1 disabled)
Units retreated 2
Allied ground losses:
5 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Assaulting units:
77th Chindit Bde /2
Defending units:
2nd Recon Regiment
21st Medium Field Artillery Battalion
Another Chindit Bde is in action now and I'll begin actively searching for targets deep in Thailand and Vietnam ASAP.
In other news: He has brought more troops into Shimishuru-Jima. Hmm, it may not hold after all. I need to make a decision. Should I accept its loss and just begin flying supplies to Urrupu-Jima now or should I keep supplying it and try to hold both. Hmm........

- Attachments
-
- 38.jpg (305.89 KiB) Viewed 602 times
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
Well, that's that settled then.







