OT Things to ponder
Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition
RE: OT Things to ponder
I could probably write a book long essay on current US politics, but Matrix doesn't want discussion of current politics so we need to respect that. It's their forum.
Bill
Bill
WIS Development Team
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: OT Things to ponder
So a friend of mine bumped into an old photo of himself. This would have been 1953 or '54. The little kid (my friend born in '48) is in the middle. The gentleman to his right was his father. The one to his immediate left was his maternal grandfather. The fellow on the far left of the photo was his great-uncle who was something of a potentate in capatalist terms. He doesn't recognize the fellow in the right of the picture. I have a couple of questions about it. First, the guy on the right has a really short tie, which I associate with the military, but I wasn't even born yet so what do I know? Any comments? The other is that when I was young there were two gauges for toy trains. My brother was given HO gauge stuff, older brother, I got the dregs. I was given the N gauge stuff. I thought it was much more efficient in any case. The little kid in the picture says that the train set you see was bigger than HO. Behind his great-uncle is a Christmas tree. There is no Red Rider BB gun in the picture. Just tell me about the tie and the train gauge.


- Attachments
-
- trainset.jpg (424.19 KiB) Viewed 332 times
RE: OT Things to ponder
The train is a Lionel. They had their own thing that didn't really fit into any standard gauges. My father was very much into model railroading back then (his favorite hangout was Troxel's Train Shop in Los Angeles) and he always turned up his nose at Lionel.
I don't know about the tie. It looks like something from a Laurel and Hardy film.
Bill
I don't know about the tie. It looks like something from a Laurel and Hardy film.
Bill
WIS Development Team
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: OT Things to ponder
[:D] I was thinking that too, about the tie. [:D] Wouldn't Hardy flip that at someone he was frustrated with?
RE: OT Things to ponder
Another fine thread you've gotten us into, Ollie!
Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/view/staffmonkeys/home
RE: OT Things to ponder
warspite1ORIGINAL: geofflambert
Since I reached the age of my majority I have never, ever failed to vote when the opportunity arose. I have also never, ever been lectured about democracy. It's a whole new experience. Especially coming from a foreigner from a country that has a Queen. This may not turn out well. Just hear me.
a) You weren't being lectured. You were being reminded about politics on this thread.
b) You were being reminded that if 'that person' claims to speak for America - then er.... he actually does, because under a democratic voting system he was given that right.
c) The fact that you state a country with a constitutional monarchy cannot be democratic and/or in some way means I cannot speak to you about democracy is rather unfortunate. But I know you are not stupid and you know we are a democratic nation, so I guess it was just a cheap shot. The fact it was a blank round and there was nothing to aim at just makes it a shame you fired [:(].
Now Maitland, now's your time!
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
RE: OT Things to ponder
warspite1ORIGINAL: wdolson
You've had your say. Please cut out the politics.
Bill
Will do.
Now Maitland, now's your time!
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
RE: OT Things to ponder
And just to keep pondering...


- Attachments
-
- th4.jpg (12.79 KiB) Viewed 332 times
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
-
rockmedic109
- Posts: 2470
- Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 11:02 am
- Location: Citrus Heights, CA
RE: OT Things to ponder
That picture takes me back through the fog of age. Your friend is 11 years younger than my dad. I remember going to granpa's house {where dad grew up} and playing with three rail train tracks. I never saw the trains and never more than a couple of track lengths. Now I am going to spend the rest of the day trying to remember the layout of granpa's old ranch house {which we tore apart piece by piece to build two other houses}.
RE: OT Things to ponder
I'm guessing that his wife helped him put on the tie, so she did a double turn around his neck in hopes it would be tight enough ....ORIGINAL: geofflambert
[:D] I was thinking that too, about the tie. [:D] Wouldn't Hardy flip that at someone he was frustrated with?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
RE: OT Things to ponder
Out of curiosity I looked around a bit. The 'short tie' was used a lot in WWII due to shortages, with the larger, and in many cases broader, ties coming out after rationing was eliminated after the war. Who knew rationing included ties? What that generation did to win the war just continues to draw my admiration.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
- MakeeLearn
- Posts: 4274
- Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:01 pm
RE: OT Things to ponder
Short tie and blue suede shoes.....


- Attachments
-
- onToes.jpg (285.69 KiB) Viewed 332 times
RE: OT Things to ponder
So why didn't they eliminate ties and stiff collars altogether and let comfortable shirts be worn in the office/public places? I am retired now and have no desire to put another tie around my neck (but will do it for funerals and weddings to show respect).ORIGINAL: Lecivius
Out of curiosity I looked around a bit. The 'short tie' was used a lot in WWII due to shortages, with the larger, and in many cases broader, ties coming out after rationing was eliminated after the war. Who knew rationing included ties? What that generation did to win the war just continues to draw my admiration.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
RE: OT Things to ponder
ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
So why didn't they eliminate ties and stiff collars altogether and let comfortable shirts be worn in the office/public places? I am retired now and have no desire to put another tie around my neck (but will do it for funerals and weddings to show respect).ORIGINAL: Lecivius
Out of curiosity I looked around a bit. The 'short tie' was used a lot in WWII due to shortages, with the larger, and in many cases broader, ties coming out after rationing was eliminated after the war. Who knew rationing included ties? What that generation did to win the war just continues to draw my admiration.
DamnifIknow [;)] That was a bit before my time [:'(]
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: OT Things to ponder
Here's my favorite tie. I plan to wear it to my funeral.


- Attachments
-
- stooges.jpg (431.72 KiB) Viewed 332 times
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: OT Things to ponder
This friend claims to have seen them (with Shemp, not Curly) up close at a mall in Decatur and to have shook Moe's hand. He did have to wash the hand eventually. [:D]
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: OT Things to ponder
ORIGINAL: rockmedic109
That picture takes me back through the fog of age. Your friend is 11 years younger than my dad. I remember going to granpa's house {where dad grew up} and playing with three rail train tracks. I never saw the trains and never more than a couple of track lengths. Now I am going to spend the rest of the day trying to remember the layout of granpa's old ranch house {which we tore apart piece by piece to build two other houses}.
You're just a baby, then. My dad was born in 1929 and his given names were Herbert Hoover. That is because he was born on Inauguration Day, which back then was on March the 3rd.
- Chickenboy
- Posts: 24648
- Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
- Location: San Antonio, TX
RE: OT Things to ponder
ORIGINAL: geofflambert
This friend claims to have seen them (with Shemp, not Curly) up close at a mall in Decatur and to have shook Moe's hand. He did have to wash the hand eventually. [:D]
With Shemp? That's like seeing Van Halen with Sammy Lee Hagar. I guess it's better than not at all, but quite clearly not the quality of the original.







