The Accidental War Obvert vs Lowpe

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Soviets Activated....

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: TheElf

Lowpe, facsinating AAR. First time I've all the way through one in a day in years...

One question. Given the unique circumstances around Palembang, why have you not focused your Rikko units in the SRA to counter his resupply and reinforcement plans? It seems that is one aspect of your game that is missing. Even with the strength he has shown in Air Power to date, it seems an early Rikko scourge with good supply and appropriate HQs would have helped tremendously especially with his US Carriers out of the picture.

Anyway, keep it up. I can't wait to see how your R/D program pans out in Russia, and with the Heavies. Good luck!

~Elf

Honored., can't tell you how many times I have searched the forum for your posts concerning the air war. Unfortunately, my opponent has too.

I just haven't had the fighters present to really go wild with them. Probably a mistake. When you make a mistake as Japan it keeps biting you for the rest of the game. I didn't do a Mersing gambit, I didn't build Oscar Ic and Zero, I didn't r&d Rufe heavily, totally unprepared for war with Soviets..you get the picture.

It has all come back to hurt Japan.
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Soviets Activated....

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

ORIGINAL: TheElf

Lowpe, facsinating AAR. First time I've all the way through one in a day in years...

One question. Given the unique circumstances around Palembang, why have you not focused your Rikko units in the SRA to counter his resupply and reinforcement plans? It seems that is one aspect of your game that is missing. Even with the strength he has shown in Air Power to date, it seems an early Rikko scourge with good supply and appropriate HQs would have helped tremendously especially with his US Carriers out of the picture.

Anyway, keep it up. I can't wait to see how your R/D program pans out in Russia, and with the Heavies. Good luck!

~Elf
Ian - "Rikko" - I don't know that abbreviation?

You can figure it out. What does almost every AFB complain about early in the game?
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Soviets Activated....

Post by Lowpe »

10 days into April, and we have four Rufe units up and about. Not really doing much yet, but will be doing more in a day or two.

It is nice to see that adding fresh replacement pilots we get a2a skill in the 30s. Looks like I can resize 3 of them to 24. I will probably then splinter them into thirds to cover lots of bases from deep Allied bomber strikes.

Image
Attachments
zooa1.jpg
zooa1.jpg (258.17 KiB) Viewed 4607 times
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Soviets Activated....

Post by Lowpe »

Here is the last attack at Palembang, where the Allies most likely only attacked with their tank units.



Image
Attachments
zooa1.jpg
zooa1.jpg (59.46 KiB) Viewed 4607 times
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Soviets Activated....

Post by Lowpe »

Next month will see almost a doubling of Japanese fighter, fighter bomber and float fighter production. Planes will be arriving a large enough numbers to start to turn the tide in the air I hope.

I need to destroy 16 Migs a month, plus their accumulated production.

There are 3 size 30 A6M3 factories that I might switch to the A6M3a which is scheduled to arrive in Dec of 1942, and that would cause the plane to arrive in late summer early fall instead. I don't plan on r&d any Zero after the A6M3a. They will come when the come. Given that this will be a short game, that is likely a mistake, but I do it for a couple of reasons.

1. My r&d into Sam is intense.
2. Keep me cautious with my carriers until Sam arrives.
3. Force a greater reliance upon Jack, George and Frank.





Image
Attachments
zooa1.jpg
zooa1.jpg (121.87 KiB) Viewed 4607 times
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Soviets Activated....

Post by Lowpe »

In June, the Tojo IIa will arrive at a production of 60 per month. Fastest fighter I have, but pitifully armed. I suspect the slower A6M3 will do better versus the MIG than the Tojo. Tojo's might end up all going to fight the Allies and not the Bear. We shall see.



Image
Attachments
zooa1.jpg
zooa1.jpg (99.27 KiB) Viewed 4607 times
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Soviets Activated....

Post by Lowpe »

Japanese fighter strength, total, has hovered around 600 or fewer planes for the last few months. Almost every squadron is depleted, and Zero squadrons have been particularly hard hit. I am hoping this is the low water mark for quite a while.

You simply can't fight the Bear and the Allies with the pitiful fighter production that I have had.





Image
Attachments
zooa1.jpg
zooa1.jpg (387.09 KiB) Viewed 4607 times
User avatar
witpqs
Posts: 26376
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Argleton

RE: Soviets Activated....

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

ORIGINAL: witpqs

ORIGINAL: TheElf

Lowpe, facsinating AAR. First time I've all the way through one in a day in years...

One question. Given the unique circumstances around Palembang, why have you not focused your Rikko units in the SRA to counter his resupply and reinforcement plans? It seems that is one aspect of your game that is missing. Even with the strength he has shown in Air Power to date, it seems an early Rikko scourge with good supply and appropriate HQs would have helped tremendously especially with his US Carriers out of the picture.

Anyway, keep it up. I can't wait to see how your R/D program pans out in Russia, and with the Heavies. Good luck!

~Elf
Ian - "Rikko" - I don't know that abbreviation?

You can figure it out. What does almost every AFB complain about early in the game?
When I read it I thought "reconnaissance", but that's abbreviated either recce or recon AFAIK. So... is that it?
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Soviets Activated....

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

ORIGINAL: witpqs



Ian - "Rikko" - I don't know that abbreviation?

You can figure it out. What does almost every AFB complain about early in the game?
When I read it I thought "reconnaissance", but that's abbreviated either recce or recon AFAIK. So... is that it?
Type 96 land-based attack aircraft "Rikko"
User avatar
Kitakami
Posts: 1324
Joined: Thu May 02, 2002 11:08 pm
Location: The bridge of the DNTK Kitakami

RE: Soviets Activated....

Post by Kitakami »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe
Type 96 land-based attack aircraft "Rikko"

Better known to the Allies by the codename "Nell"?
Tenno Heika Banzai!
User avatar
ny59giants
Posts: 9902
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:02 pm

RE: Soviets Activated....

Post by ny59giants »

What are you doing about IJA bombers?? Lily, Sally, or Helen? I know you like your Lily DBs later on. The last Helens have armor.
[center]Image[/center]
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Soviets Activated....

Post by Lowpe »

Yep.[:)]

I am always hesitant at using them early without a two or three to one ratio of fighter escorts, since they get shot down in great numbers.

Lately I have had a squadron on night attack, but haven't had any strikes yet. Usually they will sortie against naval bombardments, but so far no joy.

User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Soviets Activated....

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

What are you doing about IJA bombers?? Lily, Sally, or Helen? I know you like your Lily DBs later on. The last Helens have armor.

Sally will be the work horse. I am using everything, Ann, Sonia, Lilly. Too much is going into ASW, as the subs are just all over and in large numbers. Wenchow is being bombed daily, and every few days I hit something in Manchuko with 100 Sallies. Occasionally I bomb something in Sumatra or China.

There is no r&d into any bomber other than the Grace (which only has one size 30 rebuilding now).

All of my research is fighters or fighter bombers.
User avatar
ny59giants
Posts: 9902
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:02 pm

RE: Soviets Activated....

Post by ny59giants »

Wenchow can become a thorn in the side of Japan. [:-] If the Allies add a few more Corp to the 100th, it takes more than a few divisions to take it. Do you risk using CA/BBs to increase disruption and damage industry?? You cannot afford to keep 3 or more divisions there for a siege. Decisions, decisions.
[center]Image[/center]
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Soviets Activated....

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Wenchow can become a thorn in the side of Japan. [:-] If the Allies add a few more Corp to the 100th, it takes more than a few divisions to take it. Do you risk using CA/BBs to increase disruption and damage industry?? You cannot afford to keep 3 or more divisions there for a siege. Decisions, decisions.

I have had four divisions there for a long time now. Plus quite a few planes. I have had no spare ships to bombard for quite a long time, but I have bombarded it when given a chance....but my bombardments pretty much stink.
User avatar
TheElf
Posts: 2800
Joined: Wed May 14, 2003 1:46 am
Location: Pax River, MD

RE: Soviets Activated....

Post by TheElf »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

ORIGINAL: witpqs



Ian - "Rikko" - I don't know that abbreviation?

You can figure it out. What does almost every AFB complain about early in the game?
When I read it I thought "reconnaissance", but that's abbreviated either recce or recon AFAIK. So... is that it?

Hey witpqs,

Isshiki rikujō kōgeki ki, Isshikirikkō In japanese the Naval Land attack bombers are abbreviated as Rikko. This would include the G3M Nell too, not just the G4M Betty.
IN PERPETUUM SINGULARIS SEDES

Image
User avatar
witpqs
Posts: 26376
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Argleton

RE: Soviets Activated....

Post by witpqs »

Doh!
User avatar
TheElf
Posts: 2800
Joined: Wed May 14, 2003 1:46 am
Location: Pax River, MD

RE: Soviets Activated....

Post by TheElf »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

ORIGINAL: TheElf

Lowpe, facsinating AAR. First time I've all the way through one in a day in years...

One question. Given the unique circumstances around Palembang, why have you not focused your Rikko units in the SRA to counter his resupply and reinforcement plans? It seems that is one aspect of your game that is missing. Even with the strength he has shown in Air Power to date, it seems an early Rikko scourge with good supply and appropriate HQs would have helped tremendously especially with his US Carriers out of the picture.

Anyway, keep it up. I can't wait to see how your R/D program pans out in Russia, and with the Heavies. Good luck!

~Elf

Honored., can't tell you how many times I have searched the forum for your posts concerning the air war. Unfortunately, my opponent has too.

I just haven't had the fighters present to really go wild with them. Probably a mistake. When you make a mistake as Japan it keeps biting you for the rest of the game. I didn't do a Mersing gambit, I didn't build Oscar Ic and Zero, I didn't r&d Rufe heavily, totally unprepared for war with Soviets..you get the picture.

It has all come back to hurt Japan.

In the early offing when you'd already sunk his two carriers it would have been an ideal time. Especially before he was able to reinforce his bases aurrounding Palembang though, I'd have run and Air Op from any base I could stage out of south of Singers where I could manage torpedoes. Extra fighters be damned. The Rikkos often operated without the luxury of escort owing to the long ranges they were required to fly.

In the early war (first 6 mos) the Rikko scourge is an ideal deterrent to reinforcing Singers by sea or any effort to play with your Surface toys.

It may not be too late.

The way I see it the alternative is to lose the war. Even if at the end of "Operation Xmas Elf" if your Rikko Units are decimated the risk might be worth the reward in terms of allied Ships sunk or Singers cut off. With Russia active you need to bring a swift halt to his efforts in the SRA and send a strong message that any messing about will garner a steep cost to him.

Just out of curiousity how healthy are your Rikkos and what airfiled might you be able to use to lock him down? If you are worried about his CAP at surrounding fields and your Fighter force is stretched too thin, you could bound your Naval search to areas that wouldn't include heavy CAPs and restrict your Rikkos range so they don't ventrue to far toward a heavily CAP'd base hex.

Just my thoughts...anyone else can weigh in.
IN PERPETUUM SINGULARIS SEDES

Image
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Soviets Activated....

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: TheElf

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

ORIGINAL: TheElf

Lowpe, facsinating AAR. First time I've all the way through one in a day in years...

One question. Given the unique circumstances around Palembang, why have you not focused your Rikko units in the SRA to counter his resupply and reinforcement plans? It seems that is one aspect of your game that is missing. Even with the strength he has shown in Air Power to date, it seems an early Rikko scourge with good supply and appropriate HQs would have helped tremendously especially with his US Carriers out of the picture.

Anyway, keep it up. I can't wait to see how your R/D program pans out in Russia, and with the Heavies. Good luck!

~Elf

Honored., can't tell you how many times I have searched the forum for your posts concerning the air war. Unfortunately, my opponent has too.

I just haven't had the fighters present to really go wild with them. Probably a mistake. When you make a mistake as Japan it keeps biting you for the rest of the game. I didn't do a Mersing gambit, I didn't build Oscar Ic and Zero, I didn't r&d Rufe heavily, totally unprepared for war with Soviets..you get the picture.

It has all come back to hurt Japan.

In the early offing when you'd already sunk his two carriers it would have been an ideal time. Especially before he was able to reinforce his bases aurrounding Palembang though, I'd have run and Air Op from any base I could stage out of south of Singers where I could manage torpedoes. Extra fighters be damned. The Rikkos often operated without the luxury of escort owing to the long ranges they were required to fly.

In the early war (first 6 mos) the Rikko scourge is an ideal deterrent to reinforcing Singers by sea or any effort to play with your Surface toys.

It may not be too late.

The way I see it the alternative is to lose the war. Even if at the end of "Operation Xmas Elf" if your Rikko Units are decimated the risk might be worth the reward in terms of allied Ships sunk or Singers cut off. With Russia active you need to bring a swift halt to his efforts in the SRA and send a strong message that any messing about will garner a steep cost to him.

Just out of curiousity how healthy are your Rikkos and what airfiled might you be able to use to lock him down? If you are worried about his CAP at surrounding fields and your Fighter force is stretched too thin, you could bound your Naval search to areas that wouldn't include heavy CAPs and restrict your Rikkos range so they don't ventrue to far toward a heavily CAP'd base hex.

Just my thoughts...anyone else can weigh in.

I have a little over three hundred on Malaya from Victoria Point south to Kuantan. 36 at Bihoro, and 2 at Truk.
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Soviets Activated....

Post by Lowpe »

April 11, 1942

Attu falls to the 8th Marine Rgt and friends.

Image
Attachments
zooa1.jpg
zooa1.jpg (364.57 KiB) Viewed 4607 times
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”