The Accidental War Obvert vs Lowpe

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
CaptBeefheart
Posts: 2627
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 2:42 am
Location: Seoul, Korea

RE: Soviets Activated....

Post by CaptBeefheart »

Regarding the American-flagged bases in Manchuria, I have a game going where I have U.S. aircraft flying missions from Soviet-flagged bases in Korea and Manchuria. Interestingly, I cannot transfer U.S. aircraft to original Soviet bases.

So, I guess I'm wondering what the benefit of flipping the flag of those bases is. Apologies if I missed a discussion on this.

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Soviets Activated....

Post by Lowpe »

April 14, 1942

Allies rest their bombers, only one small strike at Kuantan. Nothing in Manchuko.

Image
Attachments
zooa1.jpg
zooa1.jpg (336.07 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Soviets Activated....

Post by Lowpe »

Some much needed reinforcements

Image
Attachments
zooa1.jpg
zooa1.jpg (47.94 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Soviets Activated....

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

Regarding the American-flagged bases in Manchuria, I have a game going where I have U.S. aircraft flying missions from Soviet-flagged bases in Korea and Manchuria. Interestingly, I cannot transfer U.S. aircraft to original Soviet bases.

So, I guess I'm wondering what the benefit of flipping the flag of those bases is. Apologies if I missed a discussion on this.

Cheers,
CC

Those bases are in Manchuko, not original Soviet territory, so they can support American and British Beasts.
User avatar
witpqs
Posts: 26376
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Argleton

RE: Soviets Activated....

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

Regarding the American-flagged bases in Manchuria, I have a game going where I have U.S. aircraft flying missions from Soviet-flagged bases in Korea and Manchuria. Interestingly, I cannot transfer U.S. aircraft to original Soviet bases.

So, I guess I'm wondering what the benefit of flipping the flag of those bases is. Apologies if I missed a discussion on this.

Cheers,
CC

Those bases are in Manchuko, not original Soviet territory, so they can support American and British Beasts.
Yeah - not sure if it was mentioned earlier - I remember there was a code change on basing non-Soviet air units (and ships??) in original Soviet bases. Basically forbidden (& ships interned??). Is that right?
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Soviets Activated....

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

Regarding the American-flagged bases in Manchuria, I have a game going where I have U.S. aircraft flying missions from Soviet-flagged bases in Korea and Manchuria. Interestingly, I cannot transfer U.S. aircraft to original Soviet bases.

So, I guess I'm wondering what the benefit of flipping the flag of those bases is. Apologies if I missed a discussion on this.

Cheers,
CC

Those bases are in Manchuko, not original Soviet territory, so they can support American and British Beasts.
Yeah - not sure if it was mentioned earlier - I remember there was a code change on basing non-Soviet air units (and ships??) in original Soviet bases. Basically forbidden (& ships interned??). Is that right?

No...that is not totally correct. I don't think the code was ever fully fleshed out and way back when Soviets first got activated Alfred put up lots of links and commentary on it as well as a few others. There are very noticeable holes/workarounds/exploits. Chose the word that works for you.[;)]


User avatar
witpqs
Posts: 26376
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Argleton

RE: Soviets Activated....

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

ORIGINAL: witpqs

ORIGINAL: Lowpe




Those bases are in Manchuko, not original Soviet territory, so they can support American and British Beasts.
Yeah - not sure if it was mentioned earlier - I remember there was a code change on basing non-Soviet air units (and ships??) in original Soviet bases. Basically forbidden (& ships interned??). Is that right?

No...that is not totally correct. I don't think the code was ever fully fleshed out and way back when Soviets first got activated Alfred put up lots of links and commentary on it as well as a few others. There are very noticeable holes/workarounds/exploits. Chose the word that works for you.[;)]
Ah - OK. Intent (/attempt) is clear so I can behave as "I can't do that" and all is well.
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Soviets Activated....

Post by Lowpe »

April 15, 1942

Sweeping the Rooskies to good effect.




Image
Attachments
zooa1.jpg
zooa1.jpg (199.55 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Soviets Activated....

Post by Lowpe »

Two small, under-escorted strikes against some tankers. Sink one and an escort, but lose too many planes.



Image
Attachments
zoo7.jpg
zoo7.jpg (248.92 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Soviets Activated....

Post by Lowpe »

Fortress Heiho holds for now.

Image
Attachments
zoo6.jpg
zoo6.jpg (445.56 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Soviets Activated....

Post by Lowpe »

April 16, 1942

Expensive day in the air as the sweeps didn't fly, and some Nells went in first. Sank an AM.[;)]

Image
Attachments
zooa1.jpg
zooa1.jpg (283.42 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Soviets Activated....

Post by Lowpe »

Bad day for Nells, they had to fly so far, what are the odds of them arriving first?

Image
Attachments
zooa1.jpg
zooa1.jpg (92.98 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Soviets Activated....

Post by Lowpe »

April 17, 1942

80 Oscars fly into Heiho, the besieged city, and they know they will be fighting against the dreaded Mig-3, in large numbers, perhaps as many as 80. The Mig-3 outclasses them so much, it isn't funny, but Japan needs to get to the bombers, needs to slow the Soviet juggernaut down.

They are willing to meet this order.

The first sweep arrives, and a Mig is actually shot down...perhaps the first air to air loss this entire war.

Image

The Migs came in high, ungodly high, while the Oscars were layered between 9k to 14K to better hit the bombers, and where they could juke, dodge and dance.
Attachments
zooa1.jpg
zooa1.jpg (460.58 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Soviets Activated....

Post by Lowpe »

The Migs come in another fragmented wave, and then the Oscars are still in the air when the bombers arrive.

A lot of waves have the Mig flying with other planes, other fighters (perhaps LRCAP), and sometimes they are the only escorts.

I think because the Migs were paired up with such slowpokes, their performance was a disgrace. They should have eaten Oscar alive and asked for more.

Instead, Instead...



Image
Attachments
zoo7.jpg
zoo7.jpg (528.44 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Soviets Activated....

Post by Lowpe »

A very nice day in the air with very inferior planes. The Soviets threw 56 Migs at the Oscars today...and because of their orders (I am guessing here) they significantly under-performed but still accounted for the lion share of Oscar losses on the day. If the Soviets would have started off with three sweeps of 18 Migs each....it would have been ugly.

Image
Attachments
zoo6.jpg
zoo6.jpg (84.97 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Soviets Activated....

Post by Lowpe »

Rufe...on my way to having 90 flying. I think I should have bumped the production level a little higher from 30 as I do plan on using them pretty aggressively. Especially in this game.



Image
Attachments
zooa1.jpg
zooa1.jpg (137.04 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Soviets Activated....

Post by Lowpe »

April 18, 1942

Manchuko

Image
Attachments
zooa1.jpg
zooa1.jpg (635.42 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Soviets Activated....

Post by Lowpe »

The cold north

Several days ago, a freshly repaired battleship bombarded the American's at Attu, and did decent squad damage but didn't damage the runways at all.

Image
Attachments
zooa1.jpg
zooa1.jpg (209.35 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
Drakanel
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:59 pm

RE: Soviets Activated....

Post by Drakanel »

Base envy. Hrmm, maybe you're playing for the wrong team then [:D]

Play the allies and ALL those worries will go away[:'(]
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Soviets Activated....

Post by Lowpe »

April 19, 1942

Wenchow falls, freeing up 4 divisions and 2 hq. Whew.

Image
Attachments
zooa1.jpg
zooa1.jpg (398.63 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”