Best fighter in WW2???

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Rainer
Posts: 1210
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2000 10:00 am
Location: Neuching, Bavaria, Germany

RE: Best fighter in WW2???

Post by Rainer »

You have my full support. Seriously.
WitP/AE
1.7.11.26b
Data base changes by Andy Mac October 16, 2012
Scen #1 Allied vs AI Level Hard Daily Turns
Art Mods by TomLabel and Reg
Topo Map by chemkid

WitW / Torch
1.01.37 - 1.01.44 beta
User avatar
AW1Steve
Posts: 14531
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:32 am
Location: Mordor aka Illlinois

RE: Best fighter in WW2???

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: ChezDaJez
ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

[:)] It hasn't. I was a victim myself a couple of months ago. But that doesn't excuse improper and inflamatory phrases that have nothing to do with the argument. All I ask is keep it a clean fight. Try and keep it on topic. And watch your @##$%^ language. [:D]

Exactly! That's why I'm staying out of this one. Besides, everyone already knows that the Zero was the greatest thing since sliced bread.
[:D]Probably the smartest thing you can do. I know this thread has already appeared over at Madcowsteakhouse. And I for one don't appreciate it. That comment will no doubt earn me a few snide comments casting aspersions on my parentage or sexuality. But WE don't have to be inflamatory or act like residents in the monkey cage flinging monkey poo at passers bye. [:)]
User avatar
mlees
Posts: 2263
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:14 am
Location: San Diego

RE: Best fighter in WW2???

Post by mlees »

I am sorta curious about the comparison of the stats at very high altitude. (That is, 28,000+)
 
How long do combats remain at those altitudes?
 
It was my understanding that units engaged in air to air fighting tended to lose altitude quickly.
 
I remember reading Boyingtons book, and he occasionally makes comments about this or that aircraft (or himself) escaping at wave top level. I assume most of these combats started out a tad bit higher... 
User avatar
ChezDaJez
Posts: 3293
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:08 am
Location: Chehalis, WA

RE: Best fighter in WW2???

Post by ChezDaJez »

Generally speaking the longer the dogfight lasts, the lower it gets. This is because planes lose speed once they start to maneuver so they dive to regain. Sometimes the action, if viewed in profile, would look like a staircase.

However, that would depend on the target too. If your after high altitude bombers, you need to get up there and stay awhile.

Chez
Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98
User avatar
AW1Steve
Posts: 14531
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:32 am
Location: Mordor aka Illlinois

RE: Best fighter in WW2???

Post by AW1Steve »

[:)] Wouldn't that depend on the tactics the pilots use? I would imagine a fast climber , like a Zero or Spitfire might "zoomClimb", while a P-40 would use "Brick tactics".     I've always felt that the "best Plane", was the one that you could get that was most suitable to your current need. [:)]
User avatar
rtrapasso
Posts: 22655
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:31 am

RE: Best fighter in WW2???

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

[:)] Wouldn't that depend on the tactics the pilots use? I would imagine a fast climber , like a Zero or Spitfire might "zoomClimb", while a P-40 would use "Brick tactics". I've always felt that the "best Plane", was the one that you could get that was most suitable to your current need. [:)]

Would this qualify as a dogfight though? More like hit and run... such as the AVG used after being warned "Never dogfight".
User avatar
AW1Steve
Posts: 14531
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:32 am
Location: Mordor aka Illlinois

RE: Best fighter in WW2???

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

[:)] Wouldn't that depend on the tactics the pilots use? I would imagine a fast climber , like a Zero or Spitfire might "zoomClimb", while a P-40 would use "Brick tactics". I've always felt that the "best Plane", was the one that you could get that was most suitable to your current need. [:)]

Would this qualify as a dogfight though? More like hit and run... such as the AVG used after being warned "Never dogfight".
[:D]I'd call it the best kind of dogfight. Short. Sweet. Survived. [:D]
Big B
Posts: 4642
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:41 pm
Location: Cali
Contact:

RE: Best fighter in WW2???

Post by Big B »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

[:)] Wouldn't that depend on the tactics the pilots use? I would imagine a fast climber , like a Zero or Spitfire might "zoomClimb", while a P-40 would use "Brick tactics". I've always felt that the "best Plane", was the one that you could get that was most suitable to your current need. [:)]
This is a matter of semantics - but a a better climbing plane like a zero or spitfire generally wouldn't zoom-climb as well as a P-40...because they are lighter (and hence better climbers).

Zoom-climb is using the speed and inertia picked up in a dive and turned into a powerful quick climb pulling out of the dive...it lasts until gravity takes over again. Heavier aircraft that build up speed in a dive get a sort of natural "inertia bonus" until it's all spent and normal physics take over again.
User avatar
niceguy2005
Posts: 12522
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:53 pm
Location: Super secret hidden base

RE: Best fighter in WW2???

Post by niceguy2005 »

ORIGINAL: ChezDaJez
ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

[:)] It hasn't. I was a victim myself a couple of months ago. But that doesn't excuse improper and inflamatory phrases that have nothing to do with the argument. All I ask is keep it a clean fight. Try and keep it on topic. And watch your @##$%^ language. [:D]

Exactly! That's why I'm staying out of this one. Besides, everyone already knows that the Zero was the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Which is a false claim. The Zero is far superior to sliced bread.
Image
Artwork graciously provided by Dixie
User avatar
AW1Steve
Posts: 14531
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:32 am
Location: Mordor aka Illlinois

RE: Best fighter in WW2???

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Big B

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

[:)] Wouldn't that depend on the tactics the pilots use? I would imagine a fast climber , like a Zero or Spitfire might "zoomClimb", while a P-40 would use "Brick tactics". I've always felt that the "best Plane", was the one that you could get that was most suitable to your current need. [:)]
This is a matter of semantics - but a a better climbing plane like a zero or spitfire generally wouldn't zoom-climb as well as a P-40...because they are lighter (and hence better climbers).

Zoom-climb is using the speed and inertia picked up in a dive and turned into a powerful quick climb pulling out of the dive...it lasts until gravity takes over again. Heavier aircraft that build up speed in a dive get a sort of natural "inertia bonus" until it's all spent and normal physics take over again.
[:)] Thank you. I stand corrected.[:)]
User avatar
AW1Steve
Posts: 14531
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:32 am
Location: Mordor aka Illlinois

RE: Best fighter in WW2???

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: niceguy2005

ORIGINAL: ChezDaJez
ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

[:)] It hasn't. I was a victim myself a couple of months ago. But that doesn't excuse improper and inflamatory phrases that have nothing to do with the argument. All I ask is keep it a clean fight. Try and keep it on topic. And watch your @##$%^ language. [:D]

Exactly! That's why I'm staying out of this one. Besides, everyone already knows that the Zero was the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Which is a false claim. The Zero is far superior to sliced bread.
[:D]I agree....I'd much rather dogfight in a zero than in sliced bread...[:D]
Rainer
Posts: 1210
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2000 10:00 am
Location: Neuching, Bavaria, Germany

RE: Best fighter in WW2???

Post by Rainer »

Sliced Bread climbs much better than a Zero. I did a comprehensive test with my toaster (650 W, Win 98, SP32), and there was no comparison. While 9 our of 7 slices of - unprepared - bread climbed between 2 and 15 inches in total - which comes down to appr. 0.182635543655 centimeters per second, the Zero refused to even leave the toaster. Please note that these are Central European Seconds as defined by Law (Eur.Comm. 123456/54321 Bruxelles, Nov 3, 1782).
Initially the Zero I used for testing did not even fit into the toaster. I therefor prepared the Zero by ways of "cratering". It still refused to climb! Instead, after setting the toaster to operational state, the Zero simply melted down!
Careful examination reveiled that this particular Zero was made of a substance called "plastic" (or something similar). But that is neither explonation nor excuse because this Zero was manufactured by a Japanese company with a high reputation of making first class Zeros.
Conclusion: to claim Zeros climb better than Sliced Bread (whatever the year of production) is a false claim and has to be refused by all people considering themselves to be part of the civilized and tax paying world.

PS: Some may argue that Zeros scaled differently (this one was 1:72) may be able to achieve different and even better results. I doubt that and I am determined to stay with the facts observed. I also recommend strongly to include Toaster Test Environment Results (TTER) in all upcoming discussions.
WitP/AE
1.7.11.26b
Data base changes by Andy Mac October 16, 2012
Scen #1 Allied vs AI Level Hard Daily Turns
Art Mods by TomLabel and Reg
Topo Map by chemkid

WitW / Torch
1.01.37 - 1.01.44 beta
User avatar
LargeSlowTarget
Posts: 5081
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Hessen, Germany - now living in France

RE: Best fighter in WW2???

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

Rainer, your test does not follow established scientific principles for Toaster Tests. It is well-known that one should use scale models made of materials with characteristics comparable to the materials used for the real object. In case of the Zero, which is known for its fragile lightweight construction, I recommend you use this model for your next comprehensive test:


Image

In a tentative test, this model behaved exactly like a real Zero - it did in fact outclimb the sliced bread, but nonetheless ended like so many of its larger brothers - as a flamer.
Attachments
20071203014.jpg
20071203014.jpg (36.6 KiB) Viewed 237 times
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16728
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Best fighter in WW2???

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

Rainer, your test does not follow established scientific principles for Toaster Tests. It is well-known that one should use scale models made from materials with characteristics comparable to the materials used for the real object. In case of the Zero, which is known for its fragile lightweight construction, I recommend you use this model for your next comprehensive test:


Image

In a tentative test, this model behaved exactly like a real Zero - it did in fact outclimb the sliced bread, but nonetheless ended like so many of its larger brothers - as a flamer.

Ahh, I notice you have the Morison collection gracing your shelves. I have the same collection. [:)]
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
AW1Steve
Posts: 14531
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:32 am
Location: Mordor aka Illlinois

RE: Best fighter in WW2???

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

Rainer, your test does not follow established scientific principles for Toaster Tests. It is well-known that one should use scale models made from materials with characteristics comparable to the materials used for the real object. In case of the Zero, which is known for its fragile lightweight construction, I recommend you use this model for your next comprehensive test:


Image

In a tentative test, this model behaved exactly like a real Zero - it did in fact outclimb the sliced bread, but nonetheless ended like so many of its larger brothers - as a flamer.

Ahh, I notice you have the Morison collection gracing your shelves. I have the same collection. [:)]
[:D] And I as well. It's dated , but still the best all around reference. [:)]
User avatar
AW1Steve
Posts: 14531
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:32 am
Location: Mordor aka Illlinois

RE: Best fighter in WW2???

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

Rainer, your test does not follow established scientific principles for Toaster Tests. It is well-known that one should use scale models made of materials with characteristics comparable to the materials used for the real object. In case of the Zero, which is known for its fragile lightweight construction, I recommend you use this model for your next comprehensive test:


Image

In a tentative test, this model behaved exactly like a real Zero - it did in fact outclimb the sliced bread, but nonetheless ended like so many of its larger brothers - as a flamer.
[8|]I stand corrected. The sliced bread does climb faster. And burn better. The Zero shown would probably melt before burning. [:D]
Rainer
Posts: 1210
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2000 10:00 am
Location: Neuching, Bavaria, Germany

RE: Best fighter in WW2???

Post by Rainer »

You are using GLIDERS! Doesn't count. Dismissed.

[;)]
WitP/AE
1.7.11.26b
Data base changes by Andy Mac October 16, 2012
Scen #1 Allied vs AI Level Hard Daily Turns
Art Mods by TomLabel and Reg
Topo Map by chemkid

WitW / Torch
1.01.37 - 1.01.44 beta
Rainer
Posts: 1210
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2000 10:00 am
Location: Neuching, Bavaria, Germany

RE: Best fighter in WW2???

Post by Rainer »

There is also a One Volume Book by Morison called "The Two-Ocean War". For those who can or will not afford to buy the whole thing (12 Volumes?) this may be an alternative.
WitP/AE
1.7.11.26b
Data base changes by Andy Mac October 16, 2012
Scen #1 Allied vs AI Level Hard Daily Turns
Art Mods by TomLabel and Reg
Topo Map by chemkid

WitW / Torch
1.01.37 - 1.01.44 beta
User avatar
ChezDaJez
Posts: 3293
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:08 am
Location: Chehalis, WA

RE: Best fighter in WW2???

Post by ChezDaJez »

ORIGINAL: Rainer

Sliced Bread climbs much better than a Zero. I did a comprehensive test with my toaster (650 W, Win 98, SP32), and there was no comparison. While 9 our of 7 slices of - unprepared - bread climbed between 2 and 15 inches in total - which comes down to appr. 0.182635543655 centimeters per second, the Zero refused to even leave the toaster. Please note that these are Central European Seconds as defined by Law (Eur.Comm. 123456/54321 Bruxelles, Nov 3, 1782).
Initially the Zero I used for testing did not even fit into the toaster. I therefor prepared the Zero by ways of "cratering". It still refused to climb! Instead, after setting the toaster to operational state, the Zero simply melted down!
Careful examination reveiled that this particular Zero was made of a substance called "plastic" (or something similar). But that is neither explonation nor excuse because this Zero was manufactured by a Japanese company with a high reputation of making first class Zeros.
Conclusion: to claim Zeros climb better than Sliced Bread (whatever the year of production) is a false claim and has to be refused by all people considering themselves to be part of the civilized and tax paying world.

PS: Some may argue that Zeros scaled differently (this one was 1:72) may be able to achieve different and even better results. I doubt that and I am determined to stay with the facts observed. I also recommend strongly to include Toaster Test Environment Results (TTER) in all upcoming discussions.


[:D][:D][:D]

Chez
Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98
User avatar
Sardaukar
Posts: 12856
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Finland/Israel

RE: Best fighter in WW2???

Post by Sardaukar »

ORIGINAL: mdiehl
Like it, disagree, or not, it's a purely objective fact.


It is also a selectively chosen fact. The 229 doesn't even make it remotely to the list, nor does the Finnish AF come off looking particularly good, because the Finnish AF got clobbered when the Soviet Union stopped fielding the worst aircraft flown in WW2 and started putting trained pilots in them.

The Finnish AF never went up against anyone's "A- Team" until 1943, right about the time they started looking for an "exit strategy."

What do you mean FAF got "clobbered" ? You might want to check your facts bit more.

Lets start:

1939-1940 Winter War

145 combat aircraft against the enemy's 1500-2000 planes.
241 air victories; main fighter Fokker D.XXI,
kill ratio 16:1

1941-1944 Continuation War

40 combat aircraft at the beginning, about 500 at the end of the war
1567 air victories Main fighters: Brewster B-39, kill ratio 32:1 and
Messerschmitt Bf 109 G, kill ratio 25:1.

FAF did not fare too badly with Bf 109 G2/G6 either...25:1 in 1943-44 is very very good. And first 109s came to Finland in 1943 when Soviets already had decent planes.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Image
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”