News from Heroes and Leaders mod

Post new mods and scenarios here.
User avatar
asl3d
Posts: 12991
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RE: Heroes and Leaders mod

Post by asl3d »

In August of 1944, the new version of Jagdpanzer IV armed with the 75 mm long gun (L/70) was created, Jagdpanzer IV/70 (Sd.Kfz.162/1). Was produced from August 1944 to March-April 1945, to 930-940 specimens at a monthly rate of 103 vehicles per month. In December of 1944, the new version had completely eliminated their predecessor armed with the 75 mm short L/48.
The Jagdpanzer IV/70 (V) used of course the hull and superstructure of Jagdpanzer IV but in May 1944, the higher shielding of the nose and the frontal plate of the superstructure was increased to 80 mm and the side shielding to 40 mm On the level of the suspension, it had now only 3 return rollers by sides. For this model the chassis of Panzer IV Ausf.H or Ausf.J will be used.
The Panzer IV/70 (V) was armed with the gun of 75 mm Pak 42 L/70 without muzzle brake. The gun was always assembled with a shift of 20 cm on the right. L/70 could operate on a horizontal field of fire limited to 12° on each side and a vertical field of fire varying between -7° and +15°. Jagdpanzer IV/70 (V) transported only one MG 34 used on the right side of the gun. Jagdpanzer IV/70(V) transported 55 to 60 rounds of 75 mm and 1200 rounds of 7.92 mm (MG 34).
From September 1944, Jagdpanzer IV (L/48) and Jagdpanzer IV/70(V) were equipped with the exhausts and the anti-flames silencers (Flammentoter). The long gun and the increased frontal shielding made the nose extremely heavy and vehicles less mobile (particularly on rough ground). To regulate partially this problem two front pairs of any steel road wheels were assembled. The long gun of 75 mm had another problem, during the operations on difficult ground, it vibrated enormously and was blocked even sometimes in the ground. This is why a gun lock was installed to maintain the gun in a rigorously fixed position during the transits. Panzer IV/70(V) weighed 25.8 tons what allowed him a speed on road of 38 km/h. The engine as on Jagdpanzer IV was Maybach HL 120 TRM.
In August 1944, first Jagdpanzer IV/70(V)s equipped the 105th and 106th Panzerbrigades on the Western front. The later vehicles were versed in Panzerjäger Abteilungen of Panzerdivisions and Panzer Grenadier Divisions and also in Panzerbrigades. Panzer IV/70(V) took part massively in the offensive of the Ardennes (137). In 1945, of Jagdpanzer IV/70(V)s were also used like tank to stop the holes in strength, even if this practice were an error. The Jagdpanzer IV/70(V) with its low profiles was an adversary difficult to reach and its anti-tank gun of 75 mm L/70 (particularly in ambush) made of it a frightening adversary for any Allied tank even at good distance (with share Stalin).


Image
Attachments
HaLJgdPz..Catalog.jpg
HaLJgdPz..Catalog.jpg (60.47 KiB) Viewed 1345 times
Semper fidelis
User avatar
asl3d
Posts: 12991
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RE: Heroes and Leaders mod

Post by asl3d »

The Jagdtiger (JgdPz VI) was the heaviest, most heavily armored (up to 250mm), and most powerfully armed AFV of WWII; truly a mobile fortress. However, its great weight and relative immobility limited its usefulness to a basically static defensive role.
The Germans studied the possibility of converting Tiger II into hunter of tanks with limited horizontal field of fire. This conversion was initially indicated Panzerjäger Tiger Ausf.B (Sd.Kfz.186) and had being equipped with powerful the 128mm Pak 80 on armored superstructure assembled in the center of the hull of the King Tiger.
The first prototype was ready in April 1944. Henschel and Krupp worked together on the mounting of the gun provided with a saukopf shield(face mask of pig). The very long 128mm Pak80 was forsaken finally to the profit of the shortest 128mm Pak 44 L/55. The 128mm Pak 44 L/55 was superior to any weapon existing on a tank, so much from the point of view power and useful range. The armor reached impressive proportions here (250mm in front). The face-to-faces were mortals with each blow for its adversaries. Its secondary armament was consisted of machine-gun MG34 of hull assembled on ball as on Tiger II.
To compensate the enormous weight (70 tons) suspension was lengthened of 26 cm. A total of 150 specimens was ordered. The production was entrusted to Steyr-Daimler-Puch of St.Valentin (Austria). This total was never reached and only the half (77) were finally realized, the majority in 1944 (48). Because of an interruption in the delivery of the 128 some had to be satisfied with the 88mm Pak 43/3 of Jagdpanther but the idea was not carried out.
Porsche tried to improve the suspension of Jagdtiger by equipping it with a suspension by bogie with torsion bars and 8 road wheels with longitudinal recovery (instead of 9 for the Henschel suspension). Porsche also mounted there the Porsche SLa 16 (type 212) Diesel engine of 700 hp. Only 1-2 specimens were equipped with this suspension. The engine of Jagdtiger being always Maybach HL 230 P30 conceived for the Panther (45 tons), it was under-motorized not being able to run (if it did not want to roast its engine) only in the neighborhoods of 17 km/h on hard ground.
Jagdtiger was put at the combat towards the end of 1944 and was useful until the term of the conflict. Jagdtiger was a frightening weapon because of the gauge of its anti-tank gun but so heavy and imposing vehicles were handicaps on the tactical level and purely defensive weapons, little adapted to the mobile warfare.
Still more than Tiger II, Jagdtiger could borrow only solid roads and bridges and rather broad passages. Jagdtigers were versed in independent battalions especially within Waffen-SS and especially used to support Pz.Divisions at the time of the offensive in the Ardennes (surely its only offensive role) and more effectively in defensive position, but to no purpose at the time of the battle of Germany. Were issued to only schwere Panzerjaegerabteilung 653 and schwere Panzerabteilung 512.


Image
Attachments
HaLJgdTig..Catalog.jpg
HaLJgdTig..Catalog.jpg (61.92 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
Semper fidelis
User avatar
asl3d
Posts: 12991
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RE: Heroes and Leaders mod

Post by asl3d »

The Marder I(f) were stopgap mobile AT guns necessitated by the Russian T-34 and KV. They consisted of a captured Russian 7.62cm field gun (or later when available the 7.5cm PaK 40) hurriedly mounted on an obsolete tank chassis and given a rudimentary shield for crew protection. Their weak armor rendered them ineffective in other than ambush and long range situations. They were issued mainly to Panzerjaeger (tank-hunter or TD) detachments. The Marder I was a conversion of the French Lorraine Schlepper (Tractor). 170 were converted, of which 131 were still on the Western Front at the beginning of 1944.
By the time the Western Campaign began in May 1940, there were already eighteen tank-hunters available, all Panzerjäger Is. They were based on the obsolete Panzer I Ausf.B chassis. This vehicle was found quite unsatisfactory regarding crew protection. But its Czech-origin 47 mm gun performed well against most French light tanks of the day, and even the better-protected B1 bis and SOMUA S35. On the other hand, the Panzer III‘s puny 37 mm often failed in this respect. But there was still room for improvement. After the fall of France, more than three hundred French Lorraine 37L supply tanks (of an estimated 600) fell into German hands. Some officers did not take long to see the potential of these chassis, which were tested and found particularly reliable and sturdy. Although many Lorraines retained their original supply rôle in German service, others were converted for various other tasks and the most famous and prolific of them all was the Marder I (for “Marten” or Weasel). Ordnance name was 7.5 cm Pak 40/1 auf Geschützwagen Lorraine Schlepper (f)/Sd.Kfz.135, Marder I.
The Marder I’s history really started a few days into Operation Barbarossa, when some German units saw themselves almost overrun by superior T-34s and KV-1s. Although most Panzer IIIs fielded there had been recently upgunned with the new 50 mm gun, it was still found insufficient. Also, the bulk of the German army was still made of lighter models, either the Czech-built Panzer 38(t) or the Panzer II. The Panzerjäger I was also inadequate. So, a vehicle capable of carrying the best German antitank gun then available, the 75 mm Pak 40, was urgently needed. One solution was to convert 170 of the already available Lorraine 37L chassis to carry them. The idea was put into practice in May 1942 by Major Alfred Becker.
Becker devised a testing workshop, called “Baukommando Becker”, to modify one chassis in order to carry a Pak 40 with all its undercarriage removed. To make room for the gun, most of the upper superstructure of the Lorraine chassis was modified. A thin 10 mm armored casemate was then mounted behind the gun, open at the rear and above, only protecting against shrapnel and small arms fire. The gun was placed in the center and its original shield was kept, in order to obtain extra frontal protection and to speed up conversion. The light and narrow chassis was lightly armored itself, so overall protection was poor. Due to this, and working in conjunction with Alkett, the production of 170 of these self-propelled guns was over in two months, between July and August 1942. Baukommando Becker also performed conversions of Hotchkiss H39s and FCM 36s chassis in smaller numbers.
The Marder I was given to tank-hunter units attached to each division on the Eastern Front. These units were the Pz.Jg.Abt.31, Jg.Abt.35, Jg.Abt.38, Pz.Jg.Abt.72, Jg.Schn. Abt.206 and Schnelle-Abt.256. The later was the last to operate, until total destruction in April 1944. By December 1943 or early 1944, most Marder Is had been either destroyed, and those surviving were gradually replaced by the Marder II, III and StuG III late versions. The Marder I was judged satisfactory in 1942, but since it was more of an SPG rather than a pure fighting tank hunter, losses were high until better tactics were used. The remainder were shipped back to France and then operated with Rommel’s 21st Panzer Division operating in Normandy during the crucial summer of 1944. 131 Marder Is (including those built on the H39 and FCM 36 chassis) were still being used in France on January 1, 1944. These were generally operated in five tank-hunter batteries.


Image
Attachments
HaLMarder..Catalog.jpg
HaLMarder..Catalog.jpg (62.96 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
Semper fidelis
User avatar
asl3d
Posts: 12991
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RE: Heroes and Leaders mod

Post by asl3d »

When the Germans first encountered the T-34 and KV-1, at the end of the summer and autumn of 1941, it was clear that more potent weapons were needed to cope with this new threat. Besides creating brand new tanks and enhancing the Panzer IV, it was quickly decided to create a new breed of tank-hunters, later collectively called “Marder” (weasel). The withdrawal of Panzer II from 1942 of the units of combat of Panzerdivisions represented an excellent advisability to provide to all kinds of anti-tank weapons or other pieces of artillery a mobility that was missing to them. Marder II based on the chassis of Panzer II is included in this category of weapons, more precisely in that of the mobile armored anti-tank artillery or Panzerjägers. Marder II was realized starting from the chassis available of Pz.Kpfw II Ausf.A/B/C/F equipped with the anti-tank gun of 75 mm Pak 40/2 L/46 in an open superstructure. Its official designation was 7.5 cm Pak 40/2 auf Fahrgestell Pz.Kpfw II (Sf).
It was accepted into service as the Sd.Kfz.132, arriving to various Abteilungen (special antitank units) attached to various Panzerdivisions and Panzergrenadier divisions in Russia and Libya (just in time for the second battle of El Alamein) by mid-1942. They were also fitted with a FuG Spr d2 short range radio. By mid-1943 it was replacedby the Sd.Kfz.131, lower, better protected and armed with the standard Pak 40. By 1944, the survivors had their crew reduced to only to two men, and the vehicle had to stop and the driver helped the gunner. Some managed to fight in Tunisia in 1943, but they were mainly used in Russia until the end of 1944, being gradually phased out or destroyed. The game piece also represents the earlier PzKpfw IID version mounting the Russian 7.62cm gun, which was very similar in game terms.
FAMO, MAN and Daimler-Benz took charge of the production and, from June 1942 to mid-1943, delivered 576 Marder IIs of the Sd.Kfz.131 version. 201 Ausf.Ds and Es were converted by the two companies between April 1942 and June 1943. Later on, between July 1943 and March 1944, 75 recently deactivated Panzer IIs were converted as Marder II. This gave a grand total of 651 operational Marder IIs of the Sd.Kfz.131 type.
Alkett modified many aspects of this vehicle, using the numerous Ausf.A-C chassis and the upgraded Ausf.F chassis which became available as the Panzer II was withdrawn from frontline service. The 75 mm Pak 40 anti-tank gun was wrapped in a lower, sloped hull, and still retained some traverse. Part of the chassis superstructure was open, lowering the gun by 40 cm, and the overall height was reduced to 2.20 m. The side armor, although thin (8 mm), protected the crew against small arms fire, but for practicality, the rear and top were opened. The chassis had a 35 mm glacis plate and the wrapped gun shield offered good frontal protection. 37 rounds were carried, seven more than on the Sd.Kfz.132. The Maybach HL 62 TRM 138 hp petrol engine gave 12.96 hp/ton and a top speed of about 40 km/h, as the weight was almost 2 tones bigger than on the regular Panzer II (8.9 vs 10.8 metric tones). The 75 mm Pak 40/2 L/46 had a horizontal field of fire limited to 32° on the left and 25° on the right and a vertical field of fire variable between -8° and +10°. For its brought closer defense, Marder II laid out of a machine-gun of 7.92 mm MG 34 firing starting from the compartment of combat.
Marder II was used since 1942 on all the principal theatres of operation until the end of the war. Like any Panzerjäger, Marder II was versed in Panzerjäger Abteilungen of Panzerdivisions, (tank hunter battalions), attached to the Panzer Divisions of the Wehrmacht and Waffen SS, but also some Luftwaffe units operating close to the frontline. Due to a lower silhouette and slightly better protection, this version was more appreciated by its crews than the Sd.Kfz.132. However, overall protection forbade any tank-to-tank engagements, especially in close quarters. The crews were trained to use their vehicles in pre-positioned spots and withdraw when engaged, while using their speed to maneuver at a safe distance, stop, fire and change position again, using their main gun range to maximum effect on the flat steppes of central Russia. For this reason, the bulk of the Marder IIs produced were sent on the Eastern Front. A few saw action in Normandy and, gradually, in 1944, some were transferred to Hungary.


Image
Attachments
HaLMarder..Catalog.jpg
HaLMarder..Catalog.jpg (61.08 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
Semper fidelis
User avatar
asl3d
Posts: 12991
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RE: Heroes and Leaders mod

Post by asl3d »

The tank destroyer Marder III, based on Pz.Kpfw 38(t), was manufactured in two models: Marder III Ausf.H and Marder III Ausf.M. The Marder III ausf.H was based on the chassis of Panzerkampfwagen 38(t) Ausf.H and indicated 7.5 cm PaK40/3 auf Pz.Kpfw 38(t) Ausf.H or Panzerjäger 38(t) 7.5 cm PaK40/3 Ausf.H. It was armed with the anti-tank gun of 75 mm PaK 40/3 L/46. The crew of Marder III ausf.H was of 4 men: the pilot in the cockpit to front, the commander, and two gunners in the station of combat in the center. The engine of Marder III was always installed in a back engine compartment. The compartment of combat was opened with the top and the back and accommodated the gun of 75 mm equipped with a vast shield protecting front and the sides. The Marder III Ausf.H only transported 38 projectiles of 75 mm. The 75 mm Pak 40/3 which had a limited horizontal field of fire, could swivel of 30 degrees on the two sides. The armament was supplemented by a machine-gun of 7.92 mm MG 37(t) mounted in front of the hull and of a machine-gun of 7.92 mm MG 34/42 firing since the compartment of combat. The shielding of Marder III Ausf.H varied between 8 and 50 mm. The Marder III Ausf.M had its engine in the middle of the chassis and its fighting compartment in the rear, as opposed to the H which had them in the front and middle respectively. The Ausf M was a much more efficient vehicle from the production standpoint, but carried only 27 rounds of ammo. 975 were built before production was switched to the Hetzer. The game piece also represents the earlier (and cruder) SdKfz 139 Marder III. 417 IIIH and 463 SdKfz 139 were built.
BMM manufactured 243 specimens of Marder III Ausf.H between November 1942 and Avril 1943, followed from 175 Pz.Kpfw 38(t)s converted in 1943. Marder III Ausf.H was versed in Panzerjäger Abteilungen as of the end of 1942. The Marder III Ausf.H also find some in units of Waffen SS like the LSSAH or Luftwaffe like Division Herman Göring.
The majority of the Marder III tank hunters were sent to the Eastern Front, where such a vehicle was desperately needed by the German forces. Almost a third of the produced Marder IIIs would be sent to North Africa, helping the DAK (Deutsches Afrikakorps) fighting against British and later even American tanks.
The first Marder IIIs (6 vehicles) arrived to North Africa in May 1942, with the last one arriving in November 1942 (total 47 vehicles). The freshly arrived Marder IIIs were used to reinforce and equip anti-tank battalions of the 15th and 21th Panzer Divisions. By late October 1942, the 15th Panzer Division had at its disposal some 16 Marder III vehicles. All were allocated to the 33rd Anti-Tank Battalion, together with a number of towed 5 cm PaK 38 anti-tank guns. After the British attack at El Alamein at the end of October 1942, the 33rd Anti-Tank Battalion was under a heavy attack. It managed to inflict some heavy damage to the British advance units but it also suffered losses. Almost all the Marder IIIs were lost, except one.
The 1st Panzer division was heavily engaged in Russia during the first year of German invasion. In May 1942, it was reinforced with six Marder IIIs which were used to equip the 37th anti-tank battalion. This unit’s first action was during the German attack (July 1942) on the Soviet positions around Belyj and Szytschewka south of city Rzhev (some 230 km west from Moscow). By September 1942, this unit was credited with destroying some 99 Soviet tanks. By the end of November and beginning of December, it was engaged in defensive operations in the region of southwest of Bjeloj (Tver Oblast near Moscow). Due to the long and difficult fighting, this unit was exhausted, so it was sent to France (end of December) for rest and relaxation.
The SS units were also given a number of Marder III vehicles as they were seen as elite fighting forces and deserved only the best available equipment. The 2nd SS Anti-Tank Battalion of the SS ‘Das Reich’ Panzer division received 9 Marder IIIs in May or June 1942. The first combat action of this unit was in February 1943 on the Eastern Front near Khrakov (in Ukraine). At first, not many vehicles were operational due to the low temperature which caused problems with frozen condensed water gathering at the bottom of the two fuel tanks. In late February, the 2nd SS Anti-Tank Battalion was reinforced with the Panzer II based Marder IIs. During the Operation Zitadelle, the 2nd SS Anti-Tank Battalion saw some heavy action. By the end of summer 1943, the 2nd SS anti-tank battalion was so depleted that this unit was disbanded, and the soldiers who survived were sent as replacement to other SS Stu.G. Abt. DR (units equipped with StuG vehicles). The Marder III fought until the end of the war and, on the 22nd of January 1945, a dozen or more were reported present (around 60 vehicles in various conditions) in several Panzer and infantry divisions.


Image
Attachments
HaLMarder..Catalog.jpg
HaLMarder..Catalog.jpg (71.28 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
Semper fidelis
User avatar
asl3d
Posts: 12991
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RE: Heroes and Leaders mod

Post by asl3d »

The PzJg III/IV, Rhino or Nashorn, also known as the Hornisse (Hornet), consisted of a composite PzKpfw III/IV chassis carrying the 8.8cm PaK 43/1.
After the first encounters with tanks like the T-34 and the KV-1 in the summer of 1941, the OKH was well aware that it had to quickly devise a response, in order to have the necessary firepower when needed. Older tank hunters equipped with the Pak 40 75 mm gun, like the Marder, were barely sufficient against the KV-1, so the adoption of the most efficient piece in the German ordnance came as a necessity. Following the specifications of 1942, a tank hunter was planned to carry the ubiquitous 88 mm gun
Alkett choose the Geschützwagen III/IV chassis to mount the heavy 8,8 cm Panzerabwehrkanone 43/1 L/71 (Pak 43/1), a lightweight version of the standard German AA gun, also mounted on the Tiger II tank. The chassis was based on the Panzer IV, with the same suspension configuration with four bogies, each with two pairs of rubberized road wheels, idlers at the rear and drive sprockets at the front, but lengthened and strengthened. The hull armor was 30 mm at the front, 20 mm on the sides and 15 mm for the rear plate. The engine was a Maybach HL 120 TRM Ausf.A V12 producing 300 hp@3000 rpm, with 11,867 L of displacement. There was no secondary armament except one 7.92 mm MG 34 or MG 42 machine-gun carried inside the vehicle, with 600 rounds in store. The gun was aimed by a gunner’s sight with a 5x magnification, 8° field of view, and had an indirect fire sight Aushilfsrichtmittel 38 with a 3x magnification, 10° field of view. There was also a FuG Spr.f radio. In addition, the Panzergranate 40/43 tungsten carbide–cored round could defeat 190 mm of RHA at a 30° angle at 1,000 m. This allowed the Hornisse to engage enemy units while staying out of range themselves. So there was no need for armor protection.
The production began in January 1943 as the 8,8 cm Pak 43 (L/71) auf Fahrgestell Panzerkampfwagen III/IV (Sf) or 8,8cm Pak 43 (L/71) auf Geschützwagen III/IV (Sd.Kfz.164). The bulk of the 494 vehicles produced were delivered in 1943 (345), however the remainder were delivered discontinuously, 133 from February to November 1944, and only 16 from January to March 1945.
When entering service, the Hornisse was issued to six of the newly-formed heavy antitank battalions, the schwere Panzerjäger Abteilungen 560, 655, 525, 93, 519 and 88, each with 45 vehicles. The main gun was derived from the regular 88 mm (3.46 in) Pak 43, one of the most effective anti-tank guns of the war, and later used, with few modifications, on the Ferdinand/Elefant, Tiger II and Jagdpanther. This made the Nashorn the first of the German alpha predator bred for the Eastern Front. The Sd.Kfz.164 was first blooded at the Battle of Kursk, and performed quite well, engaging heavies like the KV-1. Its long-range ability was found particularly adapted to the open and flat landscapes of Russia. Added to this, the open fighting compartment gave excellent peripheral vision compared to an enclosed turret. After Kursk, three of these Abteilungen, the 560 sPzJagAbt, 655th sPzJagAbt and 525 sPzJagAbt, were sent to Italy. They again proved to be successful tank destroyers. Six more schwere Panzerjager Abteilungens (560, 655, 525, 93, 519 and 88), each equipped counting 30 Nashorns, saw service on the Eastern Front, Normandy and Italy. Each Abteilung was composed of a command company and 2-3 companies (14-17 tank hunters each) with 4 platoons each. A Nashorn from the 2nd Company, Abteilung 93 destroyed the only M26 Pershing in Europe, at 250 meters, with the first shot, in Niehl, north of Cologne, March 6, 1945.


Image
Attachments
HaLNashor..Catalog.jpg
HaLNashor..Catalog.jpg (70.16 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
Semper fidelis
User avatar
asl3d
Posts: 12991
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RE: Heroes and Leaders mod

Post by asl3d »

The PzJg 35R(f) was the second German SP AT gun, and incorporated certain improvements over the PzJg I. Following the PzJg I success, an approval was given on 23.12.1940 to creat such a conversion based on Renault R35 chassis. This vehicle would be designated 4.7 cm Pak(t) (Sfl) auf Fgst.Pz.Kpfw.35 R 731(f). There was a considerable number (174 according to most sources) converted into an early tank-hunter, the 4,7 cm PaK(t) auf Panzerkampfwagen 35R(f), a variant similar to the Panzerjäger I equipped with the Czech Skoda A6 PUV vz.37 47 mm gun.
The Altmärkische Kettenfabrik (Alkett) company was selected as the producer of these vehicles – at that point it was the leading German SPG manufacturer. The task was however not easy for the tank designers from Spandau – the chassis was even smaller than the one of Panzer I Ausf.B – a vehicle originally designed for two Frenchmen (unless they suffered from claustrophobia) was supposed to carry three German crewmembers, a rather large 47mm gun and enough ammunition for it.
The first prototype was built from mild steel on 8.2.1941. The limited internal space of the vehicle forced the Alkett engineers to find some unorthodox solutions. The superstructure, made from 2cm armor plates was to be shifted as much forward as possible in order to successfully install the gun. By the way, the superstructure was not firmly attached to the hull, it was just screwed on top of it. The hull roof was cut partially away and in the end two people could fit inside the hull, but not the ammunition – that was placed in the superstructure bustle, which simplified the gun loading. The radio was placed there as well. The superstructure sides had to have hatches installed as there was no other convenient way to enter or leave the vehicle.
174 were the 4.7 cm Pak(t) (Sfl) auf Fgst.Pz.Kpfw.35 R 731(f) tank destroyers and 26 were Führungs-Fahrzeug auf Fgst.Pz.Kpfw.35 R 731(f) command vehicles with a machinegun in a ball mount instead of the main gun. The first 30 vehicles were built in March 1941.
These conversions were not successful, however as they were too high and slow. Although some saw service in the summer of 1941 (Operation Barbarossa), most were posted in the Channel islands, Netherlands, with Pz.Jg.Abt.657, which fought at Arnhem, and the remainder saw action in Normandy, France in 1944 (Schnelle Brigade 30 and Schnelle Abt.517).
By June 1943, 96 these vehicles were attached to the military units serving as garrisons in France, 85 of which were in working order. Most were attached to the 319th Infantry Division located on the Guernsey and Jersey islands in the Channel, the only British domains in Europe the Germans managed to capture. In total, 15 infantry divisions had some of these vehicles, 3 were attached to the 100th Panzer Regiment and 6 to the 657th anti-tank battalion. By December 1943, the total number of these vehicles was reduced to 92, but out of these there were more in working order than in June (88).
They were kept in secondary theatres and at the beginning of 1944 there were still 110 in use, mostly in France. Significant quantities of these vehicles were still in active service in Normandy during the Normandy Invasion. Regardless of the fact these vehicles were completely obsolete and very slow, they did manage to participate in the fighting. In theory, they could knock out pretty much all allied armor (save for the Churchill heavy tank), but in reality their successes were not exactly numerous and they didn’t have any significant impact on the fighting. Nevertheless, one of the last actions they participated in took place in the Autumn of 1944 (2 vehicles of the 712th Infantry Division).


Image
Attachments
HaLPzJg3..Catalog.jpg
HaLPzJg3..Catalog.jpg (63.35 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
Semper fidelis
User avatar
asl3d
Posts: 12991
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RE: Heroes and Leaders mod

Post by asl3d »

The PzJg I was the first of the many German self-propelled AT guns. It consisted of an ex-Czech 4.7cm AT gun on the chassis of the PzKpfw I.
In 1939, as new medium tanks were entering mass production, older Panzer Is were already considered obsolescent. Many such chassis were available, which were perfect for being converted into self-propelled guns. A idea came from the experience of the Polish campaign. Many Panzers were destroyed by the tiny, but efficient Polish TKS, using light antitank guns, like the Polish wz.38 20 mm FK model A high velocity antitank gun. The capture of the Czech war industry also provided many suitable antitank guns, like the excellent 47 mm, far better suited than the average 37 mm PaK 36, provided in large numbers to the German infantry at the time.
The Škoda Pak(T) 4.7 cm gun, firing armor-piercing ammunition, was accurate, able to score a hit at 1000 to 1200 m. It could pierce 45-50 mm thick armor plates at 500 meters and less. In Africa, Panzerjäger crews claimed kills against Matildas (60 mm glacis) with the rare, but highly effective tungsten-core armor-piercing shell (Pz.Gr.40).
However, visibility was poor, and the rear folds of the superstructure were often removed to allow direct observation. Plus, they were slow and subject to mechanical breakdowns, and the chassis was prone to rupture, due to their overweight charge.
The Pz.Kpfw I Ausf.B was used as bases to realize the first German tank destroyer, the Panzerjäger I. This vehicle was armed with the 47 mm Pak(t) 36 (Skoda 47 mm A-5 PUV vz 36) of Czech manufacture. Its crew was composed of 3 men. The compartment of combat was protected only by one simple shield.
The gun had a horizontal field of fire limited to 15° on each side. Panzerjäger I transported a loading of 86 projectiles of 47 mm. The gun of 47 mm was installed only because the gun of 50 mm Pak 38 selected in an original manner was not ready.
A total of 202 specimens converted by Alkett (132 between March 1940 and May 1940) and Skoda (70 in February 1941) will be produced. This division of the production will give rise to two models: that of Skoda had a shield with 7 faces and that of Alkett only 5.
Some will be equipped with the 37 mm Pak 35/36 but the experiment will not make long fire because of the low fire power of this weapon. Panzerjäger I will be useful at the time of the campaigns of France, North Africa and Russia within Panzerjäger Abteilungen 521, 605, 616, 643 and 670. After 1940, some will be rearmed with the 50 mm Pak 38 L/60.
The early converted models operated during the campaign of France, in May-June 1940, making up for the lack of high-velocity guns against the well-protected French tanks, like the B1. They were attached to the independent Panzerjäger-Abteilung 521, comprising three companies of nine vehicles each. In most cases, a full-strength Panzerjaeger platoon consisted of four TD. They fought well, knocking out perhaps a hundred French tanks without a loss. The same unit later operated in the Balkans, Yugoslavia and Greece, were they never met serious opposition. However, the unit was partly disbanded, one company being attached to the SS-Brigade Leibstandarte der SS Adolf Hitler, and another to the Panzerjäger-Abteilung 900, in preparation for Operation Barbarossa.
Most of the Panzerjägers in Europe were affected to various Army Corps in preparation for Operation Barbarossa, in the Anti-tank Battalions 521, 529, 616, 643 and 670. Army Group Center, comprising the 1st and 2nd Panzer Groups and the 4th Army, received three companies, while Army Groups North and South received one each, attached to the 4th and 1st Panzer Groups, respectively. As operations went on, many were lost due to enemy fire.


Image
Attachments
HaLPzJgI..Catalog.jpg
HaLPzJgI..Catalog.jpg (55.75 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
Semper fidelis
User avatar
asl3d
Posts: 12991
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RE: Heroes and Leaders mod

Post by asl3d »

The concept of Bunkerflak was born in early 1938. In fact, the German Army wanted a weapon that could destroy enemy fortifications. The first version of the bunkerflak or Bufla was originally a Sd.Ah.201 auf Flak 18 modified and equipped with a shield towed by a Gepanzerte (armored) Zugkraftwagen 8 tons (Sd. Kfz 7). However, the Heeres-Waffenamt who oversaw the production of this version of the 88 decided to produce a second type of Bufla. In fact, it consisted of placing a 88 on the platform of a half-track type SdKfz 8 of 12 tons on DB9 chassis produced by Daimler-Benz.
During testing in the range of Kummersdorf on 23 August 1938, an officer of the Luftwaffe explained: "(...) During these tests, the high initial velocity due to the architecture of the piece and the use of piercing projectiles allowed to destroy in 30% of cases the targets between 800 to 900 meters with the first shot. Given these results, we can say that the 88 is not only able to beat small fortifications, but also can destroy a medium or heavy armored vehicle. Instead, it should be noted that the 88 gun modified in this way is no longer able to fight enemy aircraft. " This is the first time that was planned to use the 88 mm as an anti-tank weapon itself.
Ten 8.8 cm Flak 18 anti-aircraft guns were mounted on pedestals on DB s8 and DB 9 chassis in 1939 as the 8.8 cm Flak 18 (Sfl.) auf Zugkraftwagen 12t (Sd.Kfz. 8) for anti-tank duties. A gun shield was provided for the 88, but the gun crew had no other protection. The driver's cab was replaced by a lower, armored cupola and the engine compartment was lightly (14.5 millimeters) armored. The vehicle weighed 20 tones, was 7.35 meters long, 2.8 meters tall and 2.65 meters wide. The gun could fire directly ahead without any problem, but traverse was limited to 151° to each side by the gun shield. Elevation was between -3° and +15°.
The first 10 vehicles were delivered during the winter 1938-39. However, these first 10 machines were also the last, in fact, another version of Bufla mounted on the chassis Famo of 18 tons was chosen.
The Bufla was a success. All ten were assigned to the first company of the anti-tank battalion Panzerjäger-Abteilung 8 which participated in the Invasion of Poland in 1939. The commander, Hauptmann Frenzel said: "The machine allowed a good driving and good mobility. Placing the battery was fast and opening fire took only a few tens of seconds after the vehicle stopped. From this point of view, our machines are much better than the 88 mounted on a cruciform gun carriage. The mobility of our machines allowed to provide a good tactical versatility. We could change positions after two or three shots. Among other things, this allowed us not to suffer losses in Poland, the enemy artillery had no time to identify and adjust the shots on us. The infantry much appreciated our work and we are constantly asked to beat the fortifications, resistance nests or armored. In 21 days of fighting, we traveled 6,000 kilometers without having suffered any mechanical problem ".
The battery was reorganized in February 1940, composed now of 6 bufla, the other four were kept in reserve. During the Western campaign the unit provided support to the 1. and 2. Panzer and the company lost 2 Bufla. During Operation Barbarossa operated with the XXXIX AK Mot in front of Heeresgruppe Mitte. On January 29, 1942, the company was redesignated as Panzerjäger-Kompanie ("Anti-Tank Company") 601. But still lost two other vehicles since 22 June 1941. Finally, it was absorbed by the Panzer-Jäger-Abteilung 559 and became its 2. Kompanie. The latest operating vehicle disappeared at the end of March 1943.


Image
Attachments
HaLSdKfz..Catalog.jpg
HaLSdKfz..Catalog.jpg (62.58 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
Semper fidelis
User avatar
asl3d
Posts: 12991
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RE: Heroes and Leaders mod

Post by asl3d »

The SdKfz 250/1 was a halftrack designed to carry an infantry HS in the Pz. Aufklaerungs (armored reconnaissance) companies of a Pz. division. To supplement the series of the heavy armored half-tracked vehicles (chassis of 3 tons), a whole series of light vehicles (chassis of 1 ton) was developed under the designation of leichter Schützenpanzerwagen (light armored vehicle of infantry). The Army decided used half-track vehicle of 1 ton in the same way by equipping it with an armored hull. This half-tracked vehicle was very small (4.65 m of length, 1.80 m in height and 1.75 m broad) and was under-motorized with its Maybach HL 42 of 100 hp. The addition of an armored hull made fear to the engineers a notable weakening of the performances. The latter found the solution by shortening the tracked suspension of a road wheel.
The light half-tracked vehicle could transport only 6 men and was less powerful than that of 3 tons. Nevertheless it carried out certain tasks perfectly. Indeed it was perfect as command vehicle (Rommel made use regularly of it), vehicle of observation or to carry the mortar of 80 mm. In fact it relieved its big brother of secondary tasks, making of this small vehicle a very useful machine. The armored light half-tracked vehicle (1 ton) was called Leichter Schützenpanzerwagen Sd.Kfz.250. It could reach on road the speed of 60 km/h. It was equipped with a Variorex Maybach box with 7 forward speeds and 3 reverse speeds. Mechanically, Sd.Kfz.250 was identical to Sd.Kfz.251: the suspension, the road wheels and the arrangement of the tracks are the same one but with a different material provision.
The weight of combat of the basic vehicle was 5.8 tons (payload of 1 ton). The armored hull of Sd.Kfz.250 was equipped with armor-plates thick of 12 mm in front and 8 mm on the others faces. It is in 1940, that the first specimens entered in service, during the invasion of France in May-June. The production continued until October 1943 without modification of the hull. A total of 4250 specimens of the model of origin were produced by Büssing-NAG, Weserhütte, Wumag, Wegmann, Ritscher and Deutsche Werk. On this date, the hull was simplified for to accelerate the production and to reduce the costs. Small dimensions of this vehicle made that the sites of storage were very compacted. The superstructure in the beginning had a very curved form towards outside to provide the maximum of space to the passengers. The hull was with cut sides with multiple angles plates. After 1943, the number of panels used was almost reduced to half, the front parts and rear plates made of only one part and the side trunks were incorporated in the hull. The ports of vision (with armored shutters) were replaced by simple slits and a more larger rear door was installed. Arches were also installed to support a tent in strong fabric covering the back compartment. On this late model, the headlights were replaced by a lighting for night walk, "Notek". Sd.Kfz.250/1 Neu was produced with 2378 specimens by Weserhütte, Deutsche Werke, Wegmann, Wumag. In all 6628 Sd.Kfz.250/1 were produced during the Second World War.
The basic model was primarily used as transport of personnel. It was used by the commanders of company and the leaders of section. Its armament was made up like its big brother of two machine-guns MG34 of 7.92 mm on swiveling mountings. Sometimes only one machine-gun was embarked and certain specimens were equipped with a heavy tripod mounting. In addition to its standard radiophone station, the vehicle could accommodate if need another station for a command function. All the vehicles of the Sd.Kfz.250 series were equipped in front of the superstructure, in front of the seats of the passengers, side of the pilot of a radiophone station of type Funksprechgerät F - FuG spf ' F '). A Pz. Aufklaerungs platoon consisted of six SPW 250/1 plus one SPW 250/1 or /10 for the platoon commander.


Image
Attachments
HaLSdKfz..Catalog.jpg
HaLSdKfz..Catalog.jpg (58.54 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
Semper fidelis
User avatar
asl3d
Posts: 12991
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RE: Heroes and Leaders mod

Post by asl3d »

The SdKfz 250/8 mounted the short 7.5cm gun of the early PzKpfw IV. Each carried only 20 rounds of ammo. The leichter Schützenpanzerwagen (7.5 cm) Sd.Kfz.250/8 was armed with the 75 mm KwK 37 L/24 or K51(Sf) (as from October 1944) short gun. In entered in service in 1943 to equip the heavy section with gun of the battalion of Panzergrenadiere, at a rate of 6 specimens per section. The MG34 assembled to the top of the gun was used as adjustment piece and for local defense. It could transport 20 ammunition of 75 mm. The superstructure of therear station was prolonged in height to be used as shield for the gun of 75 mm.
This SdKfz 250/8 was the SPG version, carrying the short barrel 75 mm KwK 37 L/24 howitzer and, later, a K51(Sf) with 20 rounds in store. Production started in the spring of 1943 with the Alte chassis, and then switched to the Neu chassis in 1944.
The engine chosen was the same Maybach 6-cylinder, water-cooled, 4.17-litre HL 42 TRKM gasoline which developed 100 hp, giving about 17.2 hp/ton, versus the 21.3 hp/ton of the lighter Sd.Kfz.10 (4.9 tons vs 5.8 tons). It was served by a Maybach SRG (Schaltreglergetriebe, Variorex-Getriebe, Hohlachse) VG102 128H semi-automatic pre-selector transmission with seven forward and three reverse gears. The clutch acted as a gear change “switch”. Top speed observed in trials on flat ground was in excess of 75 km/h, but in practice the driver was instructed to not exceed 65 km/h.
Both the forward wheels and the tracks were used for direction, the track brakes being engaged correspondingly when the wheels were turned enough. The double roadwheels, overlapping and interleaved (Schachtellaufwerk), were mounted on torsion arms. The rear wheels acted as tensioners. The front axle wheels were suspended by leaf springs and shock absorbers.
The driving compartment was approximately half-way, in the middle of the hull, and it was not separated from the rear compartment, which was open-topped. The driver and co-driver had lateral vision blocks and front hinged panels with armored shutters. The driver’s roof was usually equipped with a ring mount for a shielded MG 34 machine-gun. Production started in the spring of 1943 with the Alte chassis, and then switched to the Neu chassis in 1944.
The Sd.Kfz.250 was built throughout the war, starting from mid 1941, after the pre-series was successfully tested. Production lasted until the very last days of the war, at Demag (chassis), Büssing-NAG (body and parts), but also MWC and Adlerwerke for parts. A total of 6628 vehicles were delivered and modified for a wide variety of tasks, comparable to the ubiquitous Hanomag. The size was a limitation for these adaptations, but the vehicle was far more nimble and agile. It was also the only half-track in German service with a hull, and not only a simple frame, and was quite rugged.
The standard 250/1 and most variants were given to reconnaissance units (Panzer Aufklärungs) working with the Panzer and Panzergrenadier divisions (28 and 18 were issued respectively). Tactically, they were used as APCs, carrying reconnaissance sections. Variants produced early on were added as organic support (artillery, AT and AA defense) for these units. Their first active commitment was during the battle of France (May-June 1940). Two were included in the 4th (Heavy Weapons) platoon of each Pz. Aufklaerungs company.


Image
Attachments
HaLSdKfz..Catalog.jpg
HaLSdKfz..Catalog.jpg (66.26 KiB) Viewed 1346 times
Semper fidelis
User avatar
asl3d
Posts: 12991
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RE: Heroes and Leaders mod

Post by asl3d »

The SdKfz 250/9 provided an alternative to the SdKfz 222 in the recon role. It consisted of a basic 250/1 with roof armor surmounted by the turret of either a SdKfz 222 (in the early models) or SdKfz 234/1.
The leichter Schützenpanzerwagen (2 cm) Sd.Kfz.250/9 was intended to replace the armored cars (armored wheeled vehicles) Sd.Kfz.222, too not very effective on the snow-covered or muddy grounds which one met during the Russian winters and springs. The turret of Sd.Kfz.222 armed with a gun of 20 mm KwK 38 (100 rounds) and with a machine-gun MG34/42 was placed on the roof of the refitted back compartment. The turret in the beginning identical to that of the armoured car was simplified thereafter. It was equipped with a radiophonic station FuG 12.
After October 1943, production was rationalized and sped up, with more suppliers involved, and many simplifications in design. This new model was simply called “Neu Art” (new), and consisted of a less labor-intensive bodywork with simple slits instead of vision blocks, straighter armored plates and only 9 plates (vs. 19) assembled. There were also less parts overall, and the hull was characterized externally by permanent storage boxes placed along the sides. A dozen specialized variants were born from the basic design.
The Sd.Kfz.250 serie was reliable, had excellent cross-country capabilities and offered a good protection against small arms fire and shrapnel, but was costly to manufacture and cramped inside. It was nevertheless produced in increasing quantities by 1944 (thanks to the simplified “Neu art”), and used until the capitulation.
The SdKfz 250 serie saw action in the Balkan campaign (April-May 1941), as well as the whole North African campaign. Among these vehicles, Rommel’s famous command vehicle “Greif” was abundantly seen on German newsreels. The Eastern Front was their main battleground until 1944. The large “bedframe” antennas of the observation/command vehicles made them easy targets to spot and most were later equipped with light aerials (whip antennae).
The SdKfz 250/9 was introduced in March 1942. 30 were ordered and sent to Russia to replace armored cars in the reconnaissance role, armed with a 20 mm (0.79 in) KwK 38 autocannon, mounted on the Sd.Kfz.222 turret, and later received a Hängelafette 38 and FuG 12 radio. After successful operations, mass production started in May 1943.
Three platoons (of four 250/9 each) equipped one SdKfz 250/9 company (denoted as Type C in early 1944) in the Pz. Aufklaerungs Abteilung. Most were used on the Eastern Front where their increased cross-country mobility was needed.


Image
Attachments
HaLSdKfz..Catalog.jpg
HaLSdKfz..Catalog.jpg (69.42 KiB) Viewed 1346 times
Semper fidelis
User avatar
asl3d
Posts: 12991
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RE: Heroes and Leaders mod

Post by asl3d »

In 1942, the halftrack SdKfz 250/10 semi-finished product came to production. This vehicle was intended to serve as an accompanying vehicle for the commander of individual platoons within a light company of mechanized infantry (leichte Schützenkompanie (gepanzert)), or in some armored infantry companies of Pz. Aufklaerungs (armored reconnaissance) battalions. The full title of the car was Schützenpanzerwagen leichter (3,7 cm PaK) (Sd.Kfz. 250/10). Instead of the front machine gun, the SdKfz 250/10 was fitted with a 3.7cm 37/35/35/36 L / 45 lightweight anti-tank gun. The SdKfz 250/10 was the tank hunter version armed with the standard Pak 36 with 216 rounds of ammunition and an MG 34.
The leichter Schützenpanzerwagen (3.7 cm Pak) Sd.Kfz.250/10 is a motorized vehicle-gun equipped with the anti-tank gun of 37 mm Pak 35/36 assembled in front of the station of shooting, on the top of the cockpit. It transported 216 rounds of 37 mm and was equipped with a back machine-gun of 7.92 mm MG 34 supplied with 1100 cartridges. This machine was generally used by the commander of the sections for their ensuring a support fire.
Serial production of the leichte Schützenpanzerwagen (3.7cm Pak) (Sd. Kfz. 250/10) started early in 1942. Light armored vehicles and enemy positions could be fought with the 3.7cm Pak 35/36. Contrary to the Sd. Kfz. 251/10, the Sd. Kfz. 250/10 was not a platoon leader’s vehicle but rather it was used as supporting vehicle for the platoon leader.
The SdKfz 250/10 was an early attempt to provide platoon commanders (Zugfuhrer) with a fire support vehicle. Mounting the 3,7 cm PaK 35/36 L/46 in place of the forward machine gun mount, it was a somewhat reliable weapon in the early years. However, it proved to be woefully ineffective against modern Soviet tanks and production ceased after only 151 were produced.
Along with the gun was installed a smaller shield, protecting especially the shooter sitting on the right side of the cannon. The grip of the weapon allowed its vertical movement to range from -8 to +25 degrees. Horizontal movement was possible in the range of 30 degrees to each side, and it was necessary to move the whole car.
The SdKfz 250/10 crew consisted of four soldiers. They was a driver, a commander, a shooter, and a charger. There was a classic two-seat bench along the left side of the battle cabin. The right side of the cab was used to store ammunition boxes. Other ammunition was then placed under the bench. On this bench, the shooter and the charger may have been sitting only during the move. In the fight, he was probably just a shooter while the charger was standing or kneeling on the right side of the cannon, taking the ammunition stored there and charging the cannon from the right. There were a total of 216 37 mm caliber onboard. The rear hook for the machine gun was retained.
The SdKfz 250/10 was produced on the basis of both half versions of the Ausf. A and Ausf. B. Kanon PaK 35/36 was already desperately inadequate anti-tank weapon in the middle of the war. However, the SdKfz 250/10 half-tracks did not expect the necessity to fight the tanks, but rather lightly armored or completely unarmed enemy techniques, so that this light cannon could also find use here. The production of this version took place in 1942 and 1943 and a total of 151 specimens were built.


Image
Attachments
HaLSdKfz..Catalog.jpg
HaLSdKfz..Catalog.jpg (63.17 KiB) Viewed 1346 times
Semper fidelis
User avatar
asl3d
Posts: 12991
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RE: Heroes and Leaders mod

Post by asl3d »

Sd.Kfz.251/16 is one of the most interesting and especially frightening alternative. The Flammenpanzerwagen (armored flame thrower vehicle) was equipped with two tanks of flammable mixture with a total of 700 L and two projectors of 14 mm on each side of the superstructure. Certain specimens were provided with a third projector at the end of a extension (long pipe) which was useful out of the vehicle. The rear doors were condemned and welded because the tanks were installed just behind in the fire station. The projectors had an autonomy of 80 jets (2 seconds) with a maximum range of 32 m.
This main flamethrower variant, mostly used by SS Panzergrenadier units, which comprised, at first, a rear detachable flame-thrower, then two 14 mm flame projectors, attached to the vehicle on pivots, the hull retaining the forward defensive MG. The flamethrowers were protected by small masks and the range was approximately 32 meters, depending on the wind and climate conditions. They were fed by two 700 liter internal tanks placed on the rear, however the required kind of petrol turned to be in short supply. The crew was protected by fireproof overalls and the compressor, which had a two hour autonomy, gave the ability to perform around 2700 short burst (2 sec each one). They were converted from Ausf.C and D vehicles, and was introduced in January 1943.
The Flammpanzerwagen was fitted with two flame projectors and initially a rear-mounted flamethrower, detachable but still connected to the vehicle, to be operated by dismounted infantry. This was in addition to the standard forward machine gun mount.
Though vulnerable, they were used very successfully at night to quickly attack enemy infantry who had just captured German trenches, hitting the enemy before they could consolidate and bring up the heavy weapons that would make them much costlier to defeat later. Late ausf. D versions had larger gun shields.
A platoon of six Sd.Kfz. 251/16 was officially allotted to the HQ company of each armored infantry regiment, and another platoon was assigned to the same unit's Panzerpioneer company. Each Panzergrenadier regiment was to be supplied with a single platoon of 6 Flammpanzerwagen, comprising two support vehicles carrying 1850 extra gallons. They fought in Russia, in Italy, in Holland (Arnhem 1944) and Northern France.


Image
Attachments
HaLSdKfz..Catalog.jpg
HaLSdKfz..Catalog.jpg (67.04 KiB) Viewed 1346 times
Semper fidelis
User avatar
asl3d
Posts: 12991
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RE: Heroes and Leaders mod

Post by asl3d »

When the Luftwaffe began uparming its aircraft with 30mm machine-cannons, numbers of now-surplus MG 151 15mm and 20mm rapid-fire air-craft guns were made available to the Heer. Some of these weapons were installed in specially built halftracks for use in both ground and AA roles.
The Sd.Kfz.251/17 is an anti-aircraft alternative armed with a gun Flak 30 or Flak 38 of 20 mm installed in the back compartment. Various versions with different assemblies will be carried out. This FlaK 38 20 mm autocannon on a pedestal mount, protected by a large curved shield, had sometimes a superstructure with convex side walls to increase the horizontal field of fire. and the hull accommodated folding panels to allow more traverse. If the panels were not deployed, your Covered Arc was limited to the front of the vehicle (this case is assumed in the game).
These vehicles are intended to provide an anti-aircraft fire support to the units of tanks and Panzergrenadiere. However they could be used against ground targets. This type, and all the test prototypes, covered around 500 vehicles, including 486 Ausf. 17 and 21.
The early machines Sd.Kfz.251/17, Schützenpanzerwagen (2 cm), had unmodified Ausf.C and D bodies, and the 20 mm gun had only 80° of traverse. The main production type was the Luftwaffe-Flakausführung, with extended side made of folding panels. Even folded, the gun still had a 360° traverse. The 20 mm KwK 38 was mounted in a small turret and had a pedestal mounting. They were built on the Ausf.C only and usually 4 Flak vehicles were led by a command version, without the gun but with a FU-10 radio and frame antenna, and two MG 34 or 42s for close defense. 244 vehicles was built.
Later on, the version evolved. Auto-Union A.G. of Chemnitz built a prototype (on the Ausf.C) followed by perhaps a dozen or so hybrid vehicles (on the Ausf.D), with a completely open rear and reconstructed driver compartment. In late 1944, a late model with the standard D body was equipped with a Schwebelafette or “gliding cradle” in a boxlike construction. 15 vehicles was served on the Eastern Front by November 1944.
The 20 mm gun existed in two types, the Army KwK 38 and the Luftwaffe Flak 38, which had similar performances, although they were found unable to deal with the heavily protected Russian Il-2 Sturmoviks. The guns were surplus of the Luftwaffe, now using heavier models, complete with their standard aircraft cradles, and joined together to the top bracket of the pedestal, pivoting on trunnions for maximal elevation and traverse. They were aimed thanks to an optical (reflector) sight, and later a simpler design with speed ring. They were single operated, from inside the hull, protected by a partial turret (open to the rear).
Normal provision for each Panzerdivision was around twenty-one in the armored infantry battalion, one in the regimental engineer company and seven in the armored reconnaissance company. They were pioneered by the SS Panzerdivision Grossdeutschland. They were chiefly employed by the 45th Panzerdivision reconnaissance units (3 per Panzergrenadier battalion) on the Western front, and in practice dealt very often against soft skin ground targets on the spot, thanks to their excellent accuracy.
Production began in mid-1943, and the vehicles delivered from production lines to Heereswaffenamt/Jn 6 between Oct 1943 until Feb 1945. A total of 200 Sd.Kfz. 251/17 (plus 13 in the process of delivery) was available with the following units at 30.12.1944: 3. Pz.Div; 5. Pz.Div.; 7. Pz.Div.; 8. Pz.Div.; 20. Pz.Div.; 21. Pz.Div.; 23. Pz.Div.; 24. Pz.Div.; 25. Pz.Div.; Fsch.Pz.Div. 1 HG; Fsch.Pz.Gren.Div. 2 HG; 25. Pz.Gren.Div.; Führer-Begl.Brig.; Führer-Gren.Brig.; 2. SS-Pz.Div. and 12. SS-Pz.Div. The 1. SS-Pz.Div. had received some in mid 1944. The Pz.Brig. 101 - 104 and 105 - 110 were authorized to have 16 repectively.


Image
Attachments
HaLSdKfz..Catalog.jpg
HaLSdKfz..Catalog.jpg (72.04 KiB) Viewed 1346 times
Semper fidelis
User avatar
asl3d
Posts: 12991
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RE: Heroes and Leaders mod

Post by asl3d »

The SdKfz 251/22 was the basic SdKfz 251 mounting a 7.5cm PaK 40 AT gun, with 22 rounds of ammo. It was intended to replace all the towed AT guns in the 1945 establishment in each Pz. division. The SdKfz 251/22 was a attempt to mobilize the PaK 40anti-tank gun of 75 mm was on the frame of Sd.Kfz 251 Ausf D. Production began in 1944, and deliveries began in the middle of the same year. The first vehicles appeared on the front in December 1944 to the end of the war.
The “Pakwagen” was one of the best AT support vehicles, fitted with a high velocity PaK 40 L46 or L48. These were heavily used as the operations turned into defensive actions. The range of the gun allowed the vehicle to be relatively safe from well camouflaged, pre-arranged positions. However, the chassis was never designed to cope with the extra weight nor the blast shock and recoil, which triggered many mechanical breakdowns and excessive structural fatigue. Nevertheless, in December 1944, Hitler gave this version top priority. The mount comprised two H shaped beams welded to the floor, on the middle of the rear compartment. The shield was modified with trimmed angles, and the platform was made of flat triangular plates holding in place the original gun cradle. The driver sat on the left, aiming with the standard PaK 40 optics. Traverse was 18 and 19° and elevation ranged from -3 to +22°. 22 rounds (HE and AP) were stored. Usually the crews carried extra rounds in loose containers, stored wherever possible. The roof of the cockpit was removed to facilitate the pointing of direction of the gun.
Its main armament, the anti-tank gun PaK 40 75mm L46, was installed in the Carriage House with its armored shield but without their wheels on a small pedestal. The vehicle could carry a total of 22 rounds and armor had a maximum of only 15 mm. The vehicle should provide the necessary firepower mobile antitank units Panzergranadier means to fight the enemy battleships. It had a crew of four men and had a range of 300 Km road with 160 liters of fuel in your tank. With engines of 100 hp Maybach HL42TUKRM developed a top speed of 50 km/h on the highway and 10 km/h cross country. The group reached the 8-ton.
Some vehicles were processed based on the Sd.Kfz 251/9, replacing its main armament. At a meeting between Hitler and Speer between 28 and 29 November 1944 was immediately ordered the preparation of 72 conversions to convert the Sd.Kfz 251/9 to /22 that would improve the ability Panzergrenadiere antitank units. On December 4, 1944 it was reported that 60 of these conversions were sent to the Western Front while another 6 sets for processing Pz.Gren.Ersatz were sent to Brig. Grossdeutschland. Another batch of 32 guns of 75 mm PaK 40 was sent to Ardelt, in Eberswalde, expecting another batch of 34 guns of the same type for the December 7, 1944. Production figures are 1200 vehicles using Ausf.D bodies.
The vehicle began acting within units and where he was received January 12, 1945 the Pz.Korps Grossdeutschland was ordered to convert all Sd.Kfz 251/9 of its inventory to Sd.Kfz 251/22. Meanwhile, the 12th Panzer Division, reported on 29 January that year he had transformed six of their Sd.Kfz 251/9 using some 3./Pz.Jg.Abt PaK 40. 2 while performing the request to change the 3./Pz.Jg.Abt vehicles. 2 was equipped with StuG assault guns and Jagdpanzer.


Image
Attachments
HaLSdKfz..Catalog.jpg
HaLSdKfz..Catalog.jpg (68.13 KiB) Viewed 1346 times
Semper fidelis
User avatar
asl3d
Posts: 12991
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RE: Heroes and Leaders mod

Post by asl3d »

Because of the limitations imposed by the Treaty of Versailles and the military budget, Germany was obliged to show realism by privileging simple armored vehicles to involve Reichwehr to the war of the armored tanks. Initially (1928), Reichwehr will use trucks disguised in tanks, Panzernachbildungen (factitious armored fighting vehicles). Out of wood or paperboard, these false armored tanks simulated simply the silhouette of tanks.
From 1936, standard chassis will be adopted to be used as a basis for new models. Among them, Einheitsfahrgestell I für Schwerer Personenkraftwagen (standard chassis model 1 for heavy vehicle of transport of personnel) with engine laid out to the back and Einheitsfahrgestell II whose engine was on the contrary in the front. Other more robust chassis, as from this time will be also tested. The first vehicle to use one of these chassis will be "Leichter Panzerspähwagen mit eintheitsfahrgestell I für Schwerer Personenkraftwagen" (light armored vehicle of reconnaissance on standard chassis model 1 for personnel carrier) or Sd.KFz.221. The standard model is Leichte Panzerspähwagen (MG) Sd.Kfz.221 who is a light armored vehicle of reconnaissance armed with a simple machine-gun MG34.
The chassis used a four-wheel drive, independent suspension and the V8 3.5L Horch (20 hp/tonne) engine was relocated to the rear. The hull was still made of welded 14 mm (front) to 6 mm (sides, rear) thick plates on a sloped body, suitable to deflect most low-velocity projectiles. The driver was situated on the front-right, with two protected vision hatches. The commander and gunner/radio operator were located in the center. From above, the hull had a diamond-like shape, thin at the edges, wider in the center. The standard armament was a MG 34 machine-gun, protected by a frontal shield, with 1100 rounds. Official designation was Leichter Panzerspähwagen Sd.Kfz.221 (Light Reconnaissance Armored Car -Special Purpose Vehicle 221). The chassis were built by Auto Union in Zwickau and assembly was performed by Schichau at Elbing. 340 were delivered from 1936 to 1939.
This four-wheeled vehicle proved to be fast and agile, had an excellent range (320 km), but it quickly became apparent it had limited off-road capabilities. When the Blitzkrieg was unleashed in Poland and France, the problem did not appear, as these vehicles used a good road network, but in the aftermath of Operation Barbarossa, in winter and in the muddy season, four-wheeled vehicles were found very hard to use. Nevertheless, the 221 proved its combat efficiency and was kept in service until 1943. In some cases, the original MG was swapped for an anti-tank rifle 39 or, later, a model 41 28 mm anti-tank gun, in order to increase its firepower. The light armament was also a limitation. For these reasons, the vehicle was gradually replaced by newer models and sent to training centers, patrolling occupied countries or used as a liaison vehicle between command posts.
The Sd.Kfz. 221 was issued to the AC companies of Light, Pz., and motorized infantry division recon battalions. 339 were built. The 1939 light armored car platoon consisted of four SdKfz 221 and four SdKfz 222.


Image
Attachments
HaLSdKfz..Catalog.jpg
HaLSdKfz..Catalog.jpg (65.89 KiB) Viewed 1347 times
Semper fidelis
User avatar
asl3d
Posts: 12991
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RE: Heroes and Leaders mod

Post by asl3d »

The Sd.Kfz. 234 (Sonderkraftfahrzeug 234, Special Purpose Vehicle 234), was a family of armored cars designed and built in Germany during World War II. The vehicles were lightly armored, armed with a 20, 50 or 75 mm main gun, and powered by a Tatra V12 diesel engine. The Sd.Kfz. 234 broadly resembles the appearance of Sd.Kfz. 231 (8 rad).
The second production version, the Sd.Kfz. 234/1, had a simpler open turret (Hängelafette 38) armed with a 2 cm KwK 38 gun. The schwere Panzerspähwagen (Sd. Kfz. 234/1) was manufactured in series from April 1944 to March 1945. About 230 exemplars left the factory. An armament consisting of a 2 cm KwK 38 and one MG 42 was available for the crew consisting of four men. The Hängelafette 38 allowed an aiming of -4° to +70°. So, air targets could be fought as well. Most often, the gun barrel was replaced by the longer barrel of the 2 cm Flak 38.
In August 1940, comes out a new version improved of first Büssing-NAG, with a monocoque hull replacing the separate chassis. The direction is identical there but the bogie are directly attached to the bottom of the hull. The chassis of this vehicle will be manufactured by Büssing-NAG whereas the hull (simpler than the preceding ones) is it by Deutschen Werke. This vehicle was to be operational under any climate and the Czechoslovakian firm Tatra was charged to develop an engine with great power (12 cylinders out of V, 14.8 L, compactness) intended to replace the gasoline engine equipping its predecessors hitherto. The first vehicle will be finished in July 1941, but the new engine was too noisy to operate in the desert and was too complicated. A quieter improved version must thus be developed. During this time the situation is degraded in Africa and the priority is put on the tanks and the assault guns to the detriment of the development of the armored cars. The production will thus begin only in 1943, to propose appreciable rates only in 1944.
The SdKfz 234/1 was a heavy armored reconnaissance vehicle. The hexagonal turret does not have roof which allows a vertical pointing of 75°. The turret also lays out of mesh wires folding anti-grenades. A machine-gun MG34 is also installed on the shield of the gun. The vehicle also embarks radio equipment.
The maximum shielding was 30 mm to front and 10 to 14 on the others faces. The autonomy of the vehicle was led to 600 km (against 265 kms) thanks to a larger tank. The later vehicles will be able to reach an autonomy of 1,000 kms. The performances any ground of these vehicles are equal to those of a tank and speed on road is of course largely higher. Approximately 2,300 specimens of this new vehicle indicated as Sd.Kfz.234 will be manufactured from 1944 until March 1945.
The first version received an open-top turret fitted with a 2 cm KwK 30 L/55 autocannon and coaxial MG 34 in a simplified Hängelafette 38 turret. Around 200 were produced from June 1942 to January 1944.
230 SdKfz 234/1 were built, with production commencing some nine months after that of the SdKfz 234/2. The main deficiency of the SdKfz 234/1 was its continued use of inadequate armament—although it now had AA capability.
The Sd.Kfz. 234 was commonly used in pairs, one equipped with a long-range radio communications kit while the other possessed only a short-range radio. The long-range unit was identifiable by the large "star" antenna on the left side of the vehicle. 19 SdKfz 234/1 were included in each Panzerspaehwagen Kompanie Type D.


Image
Attachments
HaLSdKfz..Catalog.jpg
HaLSdKfz..Catalog.jpg (67.78 KiB) Viewed 1346 times
Semper fidelis
User avatar
asl3d
Posts: 12991
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RE: Heroes and Leaders mod

Post by asl3d »

The SdKfz 234/2 has the nickname the Puma and was the original design for the SdKfz 234 series, and retained most of the earlier SdKfz 231 (8 rad)'s virtues while having better armor and a 12 cylinder air-cooled diesel engine. The first and possibly best known version was the Sd.Kfz. 234/2, but not the most produced, with only 101 being released between September 1943 and September 1944. This variant was replaced in production by the second version, the Sd.Kfz. 234/1. A total of 25 vehicles formed the complement of the Panzerspaehwagen Kompanie Type A. It was issued to four Pz. divisions and saw action on both the Eastern and Western fronts.
Armoured wheeled vehicles were developed early in Germany after the end of World War I, since they were not subject to the restrictions of the Versailles Treaty. The Sd.Kfz. 234 belonged to the ARK series (type designation of the chassis) and was the successor to the earlier Sd.Kfz. 231/232/233 (8-Rad), which belonged to the GS series.
The combat experience of fast-moving, hard-hitting wheeled reconnaissance vehicles during the Wehrmacht's early invasions of Poland and France impressed German military officials, but indicated some deficiencies in existing designs. A new armoured car project was thus undertaken in August 1940, incorporating several lessons from the Wehrmacht's own external operations. The latest Büssing-NAG Sd.Kfz. 232 variant, the Sd.Kfz. 234 was designed later that year. It was to have a monocoque chassis with eight wheels, and an air-cooled engine for use in North Africa.
Chassis were built by Büssing-NAG in Leipzig-Wahren, while armoured bodies were provided by Deutsche Edelstahlwerke of Krefeld and turrets by Daimler Benz in Berlin-Marienfelde and Schichau of Elbing, with engines from Ringhoffer-Tatra-Werke AG of Nesselsdorf.
The production vehicle was heavier and bulkier than the Sd.Kfz.231, with mudguards that went along the side from end to end, with four storage compartments located inside. Because of the lack of resources necessary to build the specified new turret, housing a 50 mm gun, the first series was equipped with the Sd.Kfz.222 Hängelafette 38 barbette instead. The engine was a Tatra air-cooled V12 diesel, with a net power of 220 hp@2,250 rpm, and a power-to-weight ratio of 21 hp/ton. The transmission was by claw, with 6 forward and 6 reverse gears. Fuel capacity was 240 liters, with a consumption of 40 liters/100 km. The radio was a FuG Spr Ger “A”2 set with a FuG 122 aerial. On the second version, famously known as the Puma, the main gun was a 50 mm KwK 39/1 L/60. The turret had a manual traverse due to its small size, and -10° to +20° depression/elevation. Smoke dischargers were often mounted on top. On trials, the Puma was found capable of fording 1.2 m deep, crossing a trench 1.35 m wide and climb inga vertical obstacle of 0.5 m.
The SdKfz 231/2 was a heavy armoured reconnaissance vehicle with gun of 50 mm - vehicle has a new turret, initially intended for the light reconnaissance tank "Leopard" armed with the gun of 50 mm KwK 39/1 L/60 in a shield out of face mask of pig " saukopf ". The gun of 50 mm in spite of its modest caliber is very effective thanks to its semi-automatic operating mode and its speed of mouth of 823 m/s.
A coaxial machine-gun MG34 and a telescopic sight supplement the armament of the Puma as well as a pair of 3 generators of smoke laid out on the sides of the turret. The Puma has radiotelephones but can be equipped with a station radio FU12. The crew is of 4 men.


Image
Attachments
HaLSdKfz..Catalog.jpg
HaLSdKfz..Catalog.jpg (64.43 KiB) Viewed 1346 times
Semper fidelis
User avatar
asl3d
Posts: 12991
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:48 pm

RE: Heroes and Leaders mod

Post by asl3d »

Frequently confused with the SdKfz 231 (8-Rad) series of German armored cars, to which it bears a close resemblance (it was easily identified by the one-piece mudguard running the length of the hull containing various stowage bins and lockers), the SdKfz 234 was in fact an entirely new range of wheeled fighting vehicles, that represented one of the most advanced concepts in design and probably the best vehicle of its type to see service during the Second World War with any army.
The most common complaint amongst German armored car crewmen was that when they were forced to engage, their armament was frequently less than adequate. This was clearly revealed in the first production version, the SdKfz 234/1 which utilized an open-topped turret fitted with protective mesh cages similar to those mounted on the 5-ton light armored car SdKfz 222, and very inadequate for a vehicle of this size.
The SdKfz 234/3 was the support version of the 234 series, and carried the short 7.5cm gun of the early PzKpfw IV. Its was the heavy armored reconnaissance vehicle with gun of 75 mm - Destined to be used as support fire for the Puma this version strongly armored was equipped with the short gun of 75 mm KwK 51 L/24 at low initial speed, and one MG 42. The mount of the MG 42 could be fixed in coaxial position. In unfixed status, it could be fired at other targets like aircrafts. The sides of the fighting compartment were raised to protect the crew.
The vehicle has neither roof, nor turret. It had an open-topped superstructure, in which a short-barreled 7.5 cm K51 L/24 gun was installed. This gun was intended for use against "soft" targets; however, when using a hollow charge shell, the penetration power exceeded that of the 5 cm L/60 gun. This variant was produced from mid 1944 to the end of 1944, before switching production to the 234/4. The gun was a short-barreled, howitzer-like German 75 mm tank gun used primarily as the main armaments of the early Panzer IV tanks and slightly modified as StuK 37 in early StuG III assault guns. After being removed from these vehicles it was the Sd.Kfz 234/3 which received them as main armament. It laid out only one of a very reduced horizontal field of fire. The vehicle transported with him 55 projectiles for its gun of 75 mm.
The schwere Panzerspähwagen (7,5 cm) (Sd. Kfz. 234/3) was produced simultaneously with the 234/1, and served as a support vehicle for the reconnaissance vehicles. It had a crew of 4 man. Only 88 exemplars were produced from June to December 1944. A few trial vehicles were trialed with a long tank 75mm tank gun but were not successful. The Sd.Kfz.234/3 was used in 6-strong (Heavy Weapons) 4th platoon in the Panzerspaehwagen Kompanie Type D, forming platoon in support of the Sd.Kfz.234/1 units, just like the Sd.Kfz.234/4 later. These units also participated in the battle of Normandy with good results, and the whole German campaign, but was used more as fast tank hunters.
His gun was designed as a close-infantry support artillery gun firing a high-explosive shell (hence the relatively short barrel), but was also effective against the early war tanks it faced during the period. Starting from March 1942, new variants of the Panzer IV and StuG III had their main armament upgraded, as a derivation of the 7.5 cm PaK 40 anti-tank gun for a self-moving turreted platform, to the new longer-barreled 7.5 cm KwK 40. When older Panzer IVs were upgunned, their former KwK 37 guns were reused to arm later Panzer III tanks and other infantry support vehicles. In 1943 depleted stocks and continued demand from producing Panzer III Ausf. N required restarting production of a slightly revised version under the designation 7.5 cm K 51 L/24 (7.5 cm Kanone 51 L/24).


Image
Attachments
HaLSdKfz..Catalog.jpg
HaLSdKfz..Catalog.jpg (66.8 KiB) Viewed 1346 times
Semper fidelis
Post Reply

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”