my troops have reduced the forts at Georgetown a little, and also nice to report my engineers have got kendari back into working order (as well as more than
You you still in December?
In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
- Martin Luther King Jr. (1929-1968)
As for my pilots - they actually claimed 36 downed b17s
Part two was a big disappointment - no doubt about that. Part 1 - well so far it is going well. We'll just see what a whole bunch of kates and zeros can do to the hermes and any other pommy shipping in the area.
Part 3 is going to succeed or I'm going to behead some very overqualified admirals . . .
With dancing Bananas and Storm Troopers who needs BBs?
As for my pilots - they actually claimed 36 downed b17s
Part two was a big disappointment - no doubt about that. Part 1 - well so far it is going well. We'll just see what a whole bunch of kates and zeros can do to the hermes and any other pommy shipping in the area.
Part 3 is going to succeed or I'm going to behead some very overqualified admirals . . .
So you guys have lost that many subs and not even three weeks has past. Hmmm...the ASW weapon accuracy is still way bit too accurate it seems.
Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
Ha ! Idiot bananananana boy failed! Shot down 14 B-17s? Pffttt, not bloody likely ! Of course I have not played the turn yet, but Luskan's pilots always over-claim[>:]
I look forward to part 3, if it is anything like the other two operations at the very least it will give everyone here something to laugh at ![:D]
I'm feeling the love . . . .
That's an interesting idea to go after the airfields in Hawaii again. I guess you're expecting most of them to be training. But, with all of your subs in the area, he is likely to have his PBYs on search. But maybe if the weather is bad . . .
It was more about hitting Raver where he thinks he is safe (again). Perhaps I would have found vs at the port and sacrificed my pilots to the flak to get them.
With dancing Bananas and Storm Troopers who needs BBs?
Well, while prong 2 stumbled, and prong three is running bloody late, prong 1 has finally struck. Not nearly as well as I hoped, but they launched from too far out,so the kates carried bombs (and the vals were all still standing down on my order - nothing worse than a forgetful commander). However, my float planes (of several cs ships) did quite well and I only lost two float planes for the whole surprise attack - at Changdur where Raver had dozens of transports sitting around. Those transports are now under seige, they won't be able to leave the port (or I'll bitch slap them) to carry troops and supplies either south to malaya or perhaps to fuel the counter invasion forming up at perth. My pilots report 13 aks, 1 ap and 1 tk are damaged, and on fire.
Any enemy shipping passing colombo will be found and sunk - hopefully the slow old hermes and a few old british bbs are out to be sunk as well. In the meantime, my victorious units crushed Raver's defence at moulmein in a bloody battle and are pressing onwards towards rangoon. With my cvs preventing reinforcement, this operation is going to work brilliantly, and I can peel Raver's troops away from the coast - garrison it strong enough to make it impossible for him to retake without shipping in more troops, and basically take the overland supply route from India off the railway line and force it through the Burmese jungle trails. This excellent development here was mirrored by my troops kicking Retreating-Raver's demolished chinese army yet further down the line, and splitting them in two. Half retreated to Kwielin (sp) which is off the railway line, and small and vulnerable (I'll be taking that without too much trouble and the troops there are going to surrender when I do I bet). The other half continue down the railway towards Canton - where I havea second army preventing their escape to Wuchow (which will be a much tougher nut to crack - but without these troops trapped on the railway, Raver can't hold out there forever). China is going very very well indeed.
Especially near Homan, where Raver has sent 4 large units out of Homan (which still has over 100k chinese troops in it) and down the railway line where my elite divisions were waiting for them. I'm going to smack this 50k of chinese troops really hard, and chase them back into Homan, and then I'll probably have to wait for my extra divisions (stripped from very far away manchuria before the beginning of the war - I still have just enough to keep the russkies peaceful) to end Raver's resistance there.
In the P.I. Lingayen fell easily enough and now the road is open to Clark. With Raver trying to defend in too many places at once (naga, tugererao) Clark should be weaker than usual. Especially since I'm going to be attacking the place from two sides now.
My 2nd cv division slipped back into the pacific after the disappointing prong 2 raid at pearl (aborted). However they culled 20 b17es (raver also lost 18 b17cs on the ground when Davao fell). So far so good I guess. Perhaps they can interdict enemy shipping into pearl, or between pearl and Oz.
Dandriff Prong 2 failed in its first stage, and unfortunately, this puts prong 2's second stage in doubt (can't reveal the plan because I still might try it) just that the problem is that Pearls' air defences had to be neutralised for it to work.
Dandriff Prong 1 never had a second stage. All those ships have to do is keep hitting helpless, unprotected shoips in port, and force them out onto the ocean where they're even easier to sink, and prevent indian transports and reinforcements making it into the SRA.
Prong 3 plods along at a snails pace (fingers crossed). If Raver isn't ready for the shit to hit the fan, things will be ok. Unfortunately with prong two failing so miserably (and now he's detected that cv group he knows that something is up) he will be ready for prong 3. If I get the slightest inkling that he is ready for it, I'm pulling the plug. The risk is just too great. However, reports are that Raver's cvs are off sailing somewhere far away, and that is always good news for Prong 3.
As for the ASW in the game. I have sunk 5 of raver's subs. The first 4 were old, dutch bits of tin and wood hammered together with a bit of blue tac - and they were all sunk in base hexes in very shallow water. However Raver's us subs have been operating in extremely shallow water in base hexes (my bases that is) and doing excellently. They have sunk 1 ship per turn of the war using these tactics and it is going to end up winning the war for him lnog before the allied subs won the war for them. I have lost about 9 subs, all in deep water over 120 miles out from pearl. The asw needs to do worse in deep water, and better in shallow, and subs need egt less contacts as a whole I think.
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 12/29/41
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASW attack at 46,48
Allied Ships
SS Saury, hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on Chandpur , at 30,25
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 11
B5N Kate x 63
E13A1 Jake x 21
Japanese aircraft losses
E13A1 Jake: 2 damaged
Allied Ships
AK Robert Luckenbach, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AK Paul Luckenbach, Bomb hits 2, on fire
AK Ben Nevis, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
AK Empire Seal, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AK Montgomery City, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AK Empire Ridley, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AK Empire Hawksbill, Bomb hits 2, on fire
AK Montanan, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AK Texan, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AK Empire Hunter, Bomb hits 2, on fire
AK Oregonian, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AK Empire Baxter, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AK Steel Engineer, Bomb hits 1
TK Pleiodon, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AP Talthibius, Bomb hits 1, on fire
Allied ground losses:
33 casualties reported
Port hits 3
Port fuel hits 2
Aircraft Attacking:
8 x E13A1 Jake bombing at 2000 feet
27 x B5N Kate bombing at 15000 feet
19 x B5N Kate bombing at 15000 feet
12 x B5N Kate bombing at 15000 feet
5 x B5N Kate bombing at 15000 feet
4 x E13A1 Jake bombing at 2000 feet
9 x E13A1 Jake bombing at 2000 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF at 27,65
Japanese Ships
CA Mikuma, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CA Haguro
Aircraft Attacking:
2 x T.IVa bombing at 5000 feet
3 x T.IVa bombing at 5000 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF at 27,65
Allied aircraft
Martin 139 x 3
Allied aircraft losses
Martin 139: 1 damaged
Japanese Ships
CA Mikuma, on fire
Aircraft Attacking:
3 x Martin 139 bombing at 15000 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on Georgetown , at 23,44
Japanese aircraft
Ki-21 Sally x 18
Ki-48 Lily x 26
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21 Sally: 2 destroyed
Allied ground losses:
31 casualties reported
Guns lost 2
Aircraft Attacking:
11 x Ki-48 Lily bombing at 15000 feet
15 x Ki-21 Sally bombing at 15000 feet
7 x Ki-48 Lily bombing at 15000 feet
8 x Ki-48 Lily bombing at 15000 feet
2 x Ki-21 Sally bombing at 15000 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on Tuguegarao , at 46,50
Japanese aircraft
C5M Babs x 1
Ki-30 Ann x 26
Ki-15 Babs x 2
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-30 Ann: 1 damaged
Allied ground losses:
8 casualties reported
Aircraft Attacking:
26 x Ki-30 Ann bombing at 2000 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF at 27,65
Allied aircraft
T.IVa x 2
Allied aircraft losses
T.IVa: 2 damaged
Japanese Ships
CA Nachi
Aircraft Attacking:
2 x T.IVa bombing at 5000 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF at 27,65
Allied aircraft
Martin 139 x 3
Allied aircraft losses
Martin 139: 1 damaged
Japanese Ships
CA Atago
Aircraft Attacking:
3 x Martin 139 bombing at 15000 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Khota Bharu at 24,45
Allied aircraft
Wirraway x 2
no losses
Japanese Ships
AK Hakonesan Maru
Aircraft Attacking:
2 x Wirraway bombing at 2000 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Khota Bharu at 24,45
Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 15
Blenheim I x 6
Blenheim IV x 6
Hudson I x 5
no losses
Japanese Ships
AK Hakonesan Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AP Hakka Maru, Bomb hits 2, on fire
AK Tetsuzan Maru
AP Hakusika Maru
Japanese ground losses:
64 casualties reported
Guns lost 2
Aircraft Attacking:
3 x Blenheim IV bombing at 6000 feet
3 x Blenheim I bombing at 6000 feet
3 x Hudson I bombing at 6000 feet
3 x Blenheim I bombing at 6000 feet
2 x Hudson I bombing at 6000 feet
3 x Blenheim IV bombing at 6000 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Naga
Japanese Deliberate attack
Attacking force 34204 troops, 401 guns, 24 vehicles
Defending force 11559 troops, 111 guns, 10 vehicles
Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 2
Japanese assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 2)
Japanese ground losses:
398 casualties reported
Guns lost 18
Vehicles lost 2
Allied ground losses:
143 casualties reported
Guns lost 8
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at 44,39
Japanese Deliberate attack
Attacking force 29539 troops, 294 guns, 0 vehicles
Defending force 32108 troops, 86 guns, 0 vehicles
Japanese assault odds: 10 to 1
Japanese ground losses:
148 casualties reported
Guns lost 10
Allied ground losses:
225 casualties reported
Guns lost 7
Defeated Allied Units Retreating!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at 40,61
Japanese Deliberate attack
Attacking force 3854 troops, 24 guns, 0 vehicles
Defending force 1888 troops, 8 guns, 0 vehicles
Japanese assault odds: 11 to 1
Japanese ground losses:
28 casualties reported
Guns lost 4
Allied ground losses:
45 casualties reported
Guns lost 1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Lingayen
Japanese Shock attack
Attacking force 15581 troops, 189 guns, 156 vehicles
Defending force 674 troops, 4 guns, 1 vehicles
Japanese assault odds: 426 to 1 (fort level 0)
Japanese forces CAPTURE Lingayen base !!!
Allied ground losses:
137 casualties reported
Guns lost 2
Defeated Allied Units Retreating!
With dancing Bananas and Storm Troopers who needs BBs?
Now we're starting to string some turns together, here is a much shorter summary of this turn.
Prong 3 proceeding slowly.
Cv division two refuelled and rearmed. Do I send them back to pearl? Probably not.
Georgetown falls, with over 3000 of Raver's troops dead and the rest retreating in disarray. As these troops retreat south to kuala lumpur, my troops advance across the peninsula to take malacca (two or three turns away yet) which would cut kuala lumpur and that other base south of georgetown and all of raver's troops inbetween off from singapore. best of all, my troops otok a couple of hurricanes and a dozen belnheim bombesr on the ground at georgetown - which takes the number of aircraft Raver has lost on the ground in 1 month of the war over 260!
In china, as predicted I attacked Raver's troops south of homan (he was surprised no doubt) and took a big chunk out of them before driving them into the wilderness (that's right - off the railway line and AWAY from Homan, which should not be much easier meat).
In the PI nothing much happened except my troops lobbed a few shells and insults at Raver's troops at Naga, while my troops on indanao are slowly scqueezing the life out of Raver's surviving pocket of resistnace (they'd be starving anyway, they don't even have a single base).
I have destroyed over 2000 points of Raver's army while loosing only 147 of my own so far. This is a good trend, although the allies are still way ahead on points.
I have had 3 different plans submitted for my next operation(s) that may or may not be able to start before Dandriff is complete. Operations Snot, Pus and Phlegm are all being proposed, but at the moment I cannot ok any or all of them as my control of the SRA isn't complete, and my forces are still tied up with various parts of Dandriff. There are just so many different objectives - although the securing of Malaya, PI, DEI and Solomons are of paramount importance (in that order) there are literally hundreds of little bases I should be trying to mop up all over the map, from the arctic to the Oz coast. I just don't want to diversify my resources too far and give Raver to much easy time.
With dancing Bananas and Storm Troopers who needs BBs?
Another turn passes and my troops at Naga tried an assault - didn't work and I lost almost 800 men compared to Raver's 200. Not good. In malaya raqver's bombers are starting hit hit a dozen times every turn.
Things in Chnia and Malaya are progressing - and Dandriff prong 3 labours on. Prong 2 was aborted so now I have 3 cvs in "reserve" waiting for some trouble. I've decided to deploy them away from the front line so that they don't get caught too far from home.
Prong 1, two turns ago they docked at moulmein and sucked up lots of ordinance and fuel (thankyou Raver) and now they're sailing off to find some more trouble (maybe back at chandpur?). If they can't do much more than hit ships in port, they're going to go to phase two (ambitious, but possible).
Prong 3 labours onwards. Repairs at Kendari after Raver's bombardment of a week ago are underway (my kongo group was actually a fast transport group for some engineers and a few extra guns). Raver bombards the tank regiments at have arrived at Homan ahead of the main force of my army - and does some damage. 100k chinese troops in a little city. I may have to bombard these bastards for a while before I take them down. I'm guessing however, that my arty units are going to win the day, both here, and down at Wuchow, where my troops have closed to knife fighting range (they're still bringing in the big ass arty units however).
Decided that next time I fight this war I'm going to have to be the allies (will make me a better IJ commander) since I've only palyed the allies in my very first few tests in the alpha. And to be fair, I will let my opponent do the whole port attack turn 1 surprise thing.
With dancing Bananas and Storm Troopers who needs BBs?
Dandriff Prong 2 failed in its first stage, and unfortunately, this puts prong 2's second stage in doubt (can't reveal the plan because I still might try it) just that the problem is that Pearls' air defences had to be neutralised for it to work.
As for the ASW in the game. I have sunk 5 of raver's subs. The first 4 were old, dutch bits of tin and wood hammered together with a bit of blue tac - and they were all sunk in base hexes in very shallow water. However Raver's us subs have been operating in extremely shallow water in base hexes (my bases that is) and doing excellently. They have sunk 1 ship per turn of the war using these tactics and it is going to end up winning the war for him lnog before the allied subs won the war for them. I have lost about 9 subs, all in deep water over 120 miles out from pearl. The asw needs to do worse in deep water, and better in shallow, and subs need egt less contacts as a whole I think.
Follow-up of Dandriff Prong 2 = Midway?
Agree with you on ASW and subs. ASW in general should do worse in terms of sub hits and kills, but more often force "misses" when the sub attacks (i.e. in general cause 'disruption').
what was th historic contact/sink ratio in the early years of the war?? is there any book on pacific sub warfare or reference we can use to come up with a more accurate (if the current trend is too high) sub -ASW system?
just wondering.
Luskan-how many troops do you still have on Honshu?? can you ship more units over from the home island to china in hopes of getting something decisive there and then send them back later-i doubt the US will invade you before '44 at the earliest (assuming u do not garrison the home islands). is there a need to expend politcal points to use these home divisions elsewhere?
I agree also, the losses of so many subs in deep water seems high. Losses should be significantly higher in shallow water. The numbers look a bit backward.
what was th historic contact/sink ratio in the early years of the war?? is there any book on pacific sub warfare or reference we can use to come up with a more accurate (if the current trend is too high) sub -ASW system?
just wondering.
A good source for the US side is Clay Blair's "Silent Victory". This is the most detailed account of US sub operations I have ever read. This may give some indications....
For the Japanese side, as in many other topics, there is not much. Frankly, it is unfortunate that there is no concerted effort to translate Japanese historical works. There are many excellent works that are not simple 'propaganda'. (Remember, history has often been written by the victors...).
I agree also, the losses of so many subs in deep water seems high. Losses should be significantly higher in shallow water. The numbers look a bit backward.
Deep water vs. shallow water is a difficult debate. If it's a question of sound propagation, shallow water actually does confer an advantage to subs as there is more 'background' noise. Sound propagation is better in deep water. There is also the question of the depth of the thermocline (the boundary between two levels of water with different temperatures). A sub in deep water can take advantage of this, as long as it can dive deep enough. The level of knowledge concerning sound propagation, thermoclines, etc. was not that well known before and during WWII. Also, remember much ASW work was done with active sonar pinging. Shallow water can actually create so many returns that it becomes unintelligible.
As was suggested earlier, it would probably help to have statistics about contacts, attacks, depth area, etc. etc.
I have millions of troops in the home islands - but I only have about 1500 political points (and to get one of those big home defence units transferred to a different HQ would cost me closer to 4500). Which means it will be months and months and months before I can steal divisions from the home islands. Which is moot really because by then the SRA will be mine and I'll be bringing divisions home for lots of R and R so that they are completely fighting fit (have been madly expanding my armaments and tank production specifically to cater for the refit I know I'll have to give).
At the moment they're in excellent shape, very few have died on transports - but too many got culled by invading enemy bases.
With dancing Bananas and Storm Troopers who needs BBs?
Finally another turn arrives (I'm getting addicted) and I am disappointed to report that I thought I had another of Raver's surface combat groups inbound (spotted a turn ago) and I had Mutsu and her escorts in position to receive them. Only they never showed?
Anyhow, Raver lost over 8500 troops this turn with various crazy suicide attacks (or suicide defences). He marches his chinese troops through the wilderness for 3 weeks and then expects them to fight well at the end of it.
One of his units popped up a hex from Kuantang (sp) and by chance I had a unit passing through that has engaged them and will be able to hold them until help arrives. Other than that my units crushed Raver's retreating chinese near Wuchow and the remnants split into two groups, half at Wuchow (about 120000 troops) and about the same in Kweilin. Now I have more than enough troops in the area to bottle them up, but not enough to take both at once. looks like I won't need to however - as my heavy guns arrived at wuchow and killed 300 of Raver's troops in the first bombardment. In 2 turns there will be more arty and Raver will loose even more troops and I'll just pound wuchow and the troops in it to dust.
At Kweilin I may have to resort toa shock attack. Elsewhere Raver's troops evacuated Taiping ahead of my armies, and tried to slip by my blockade force that had cut them off at malacca. No good - it cost him lost of troops.
At homan my now far suprerior forces beat back another of Raver's pathetic attempts (I hope you all enjoy the combat report).
In other news over khota Bharu I've been copping beatings lately (Raver's bombers are improving and were smacking my transports. This turn I put oscars on cap and oscars v buffaloes. Enjoy the combat report.
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 01/01/42
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASW attack at 111,69
Japanese Ships
SS I-22
Allied Ships
PC Tiger
PC Reliance
DD Litchfield
DD Schley
DD Ward
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Khota Bharu at 24,45
Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 10
Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 17
Blenheim I x 3
Blenheim IV x 3
Hudson I x 3
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-Ib Oscar: 2 destroyed, 2 damaged
Aircraft Attacking:
3 x Hudson I bombing at 6000 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF at 26,45
Allied aircraft
Blenheim I x 3
no losses
Japanese Ships
AK Yagi Maru
Aircraft Attacking:
3 x Blenheim I bombing at 6000 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Khota Bharu at 24,45
Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 8
Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 8
Blenheim IV x 3
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-Ib Oscar: 1 damaged
seems like you are making exceptional progress against the chinese-hopefully soon with your success in the SRA you can use those units or perhaps siphon off some units from Manchuria to increase you r progress against Chiang and his unholy alliance to the communists. how many zekes are u producing per month? is it possible to tailor your aircraft production to reduce non-profitable aircraft in favor of more fighters for defense of the SRA later in the war?
nice job with the oscars-goes to show that pilots abilities make up for shortcomings in their aircraft (the oscar being notably undergunned and practically unarmored). can you post a screenshot of the "china situation" for us. thanks,
jc
I'm not posting any screenies for a bit (It would give too much away!) soon though.
I've siphoned all thr troops out of manchuria I can get my hands on. Any more and the russians might activate.
As for zeros - yes, I ahve cancelled production of several aircraft types and diverted it to more powerful aircraft types. My zero production is going to be huge.
With dancing Bananas and Storm Troopers who needs BBs?