cap_and_gown(j) v witpqs(a) - no witpqs

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
CapAndGown
Posts: 3078
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Virginia, USA

The Great Java Snipe Hunt

Post by CapAndGown »

Sept. 21, 1942

On the 20th witpqs bombed Port Moresby with B-17's. Some Tojos at Buna intercepted but did not accomplish anything. Indeed, 3 planes were lost to accidents and 2 pilots were KIA.

Several days ago there was a surge of subs into the South China Sea. Then another surge of subs went by Nauru Island a few days later. And now another surge is about to enter the Java Sea. In this case I have set up a warm reception for them. I have 4 ASW TFs set to patrol along their likely path. I also have numerous Sallies, Helens, and Jakes set on ASW patrol. The Sallies and Helens are flying at 2000 feet. I am hoping this will increase their odds of making an actual hit on one of these guys, and not just the stupid FOW hit that really means nothing.


Image
Attachments
GreatJava..ipeHunt.jpg
GreatJava..ipeHunt.jpg (71.02 KiB) Viewed 277 times
User avatar
CapAndGown
Posts: 3078
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Virginia, USA

Notes on Enemy Activity

Post by CapAndGown »

I have not really been able to determine enemy intentions for his counter offensive. Generally, I do not think it is a good idea to plan around what you think you opponent's intentions are, but to concentrate on his capabilities. Nevertheless, it could help in planning on where the best places to station my reserves would be if I could divine the allied intentions.

Right now the allies are building up the Line, Austral, Cook and Society Islands in earnest. Tahiti is now maxed out, as is Christmas Island. Other Islands are being built up as well. Perhaps this is being done with the idea of increasing the storage capacity of these bases so that fuel and supplies can be built up there for transhipment to Australia. What is odd is that I have not seen anything moving between the Cook Islands and New Zealand. I would think that I would see something since my picket line of subs is 3 deep and the Emily's in the Tonga Islands are concentrating their search arcs very narrowly directly south towards the map edge. New Zealand is also starting to be developed, though rather slowly. I would like to make another sweep down here to check things out but I cannot do that without knowing where the allied CVs are. I have a feeling that after the last raid, witpqs will have moved his carriers down here in anticipation of another raid. So surface raiders are out. And though a carrier battle might be good for me right now, if I am wrong and his carriers are not down there, then as soon as he spots my CVs down there, that will free him to make his own raid.

India and Ceylon are also being built in a major way. Again, however, I have not been able to detect anything moving between Diego Garcia and Perth, even though I have a picket line of subs two deep over on the western map edge and Emily's at Coco's Island searching out almost to the map edge. There is no noticeable troop build up on the Burma/India border, though the airbases there are starting to build up. Certainly, I would expect and air offensive coming out of India to commence in the not to distant future. As to an overland offensive, I am not sure. I am actually more concerned about an amphibious offensive somewhere along the Kra Isthmus. I will need to do more to reinforce this area.

The Northern Pacific is being built up somewhat, but not to the extent that the southern Pacific is. So I don't think he will be trying for the Kuriles any time soon. Hopefully, the forces I have there are sufficient for now and can hold on long enough for reinforcements to arrive should he come that way.


User avatar
CapAndGown
Posts: 3078
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Virginia, USA

Do Snipes Bite?

Post by CapAndGown »

Sept. 22, 1941

The snipe hunt is not yielding much in the way of results yet. Indeed, if it weren't for faulty U.S. torpedoes, I would be short 2 DDs right now. Why is that every time a U.S. sub takes a shot at a Jap DD it always hits? My torpedoes generally miss DDs. In fact, I am not sure I have hit any. Yet every time a U.S. sub takes a shot it hits, but then I am saved because their is not explosion. When the game rolls around to 43 if things continue as they are now, I am going to lose every ship in the IJN to allied subs. The US will not even need any CVs, except to sink all the ships I have hiding in ports trying to hide from his subs. [8|]

Well, at least we scored two DC hits on the Seawolf. Not a lot of damage, but maybe it will go home now. My planes reported some hits as well, but that is just BS. On the other hand, I did get a message that one of the Sallies was damaged by flak from a sub. Now that I believe. The idea that subs are more dangerous to aircraft in AE than the other way around is something I would expect.

Despite my low expectations, I am setting up another line of ASW patrols between Borneo and Sumatra. In this case, I am using SCTFs rather than ASW TFs. Maybe the subs will find it harder to hit those than to hit ships that are supposed to be looking for them. [8|] I have set up about 7 - 8 TFs of between 3 and 4 ships a piece, mostly composed of DDs, but also with some Escort ships as well. Maybe I can at least damage one more sub. (Sinking a sub, of course, is out of the question.)

User avatar
CapAndGown
Posts: 3078
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Virginia, USA

Finally, we catch a Snipe!

Post by CapAndGown »

Sept. 25, 1942

The Great Java Snipe hunt reached its climax today. It looks like a total of 6 allied subs sortied together out of Perth and into the Java Sea on their way to the hunting grounds in the South China Sea. (The Java Sea seems to be some sort of sub super-highway for the allies.) From the behavior of the subs, it looks as though we winged two of them while Snapper was caught, stuffed, and put up on the mantle as a trophy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASW attack near Singkawang at 54,89
Japanese Ships
DD Yugao
DD Karukaya

Allied Ships
SS Sailfish, hits 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Singkawang at 54,89
Japanese Ships
DD Tanikaze
DD Hagikaze

Allied Ships
SS Snapper, hits 3

SS Snapper launches 4 torpedoes at DD Tanikaze (Hit, but no explosion [8|])


In other news, I have decided to abandon Canton and Baker Islands. I don't have much there, just a naval guard and an aviation company on each island. Yet there is no reason to lose these troops when I have need of them elsewhere. These islands are basically indefensible and can't be built up very much anyway. I could certainly use the naval guards up in the Marshals, and the aviation companies, even though they only have 8 aviation support points, can add just a little more support to islands I do think I can make a stand at.

Allied recon is now making an appearance over my southern possessions. Niue, Taue, and Pago-Pago are all being paid visits. The Cook Islands continue to be developed. It is looking more and more like he may decide to come that way. Canton was reconned a while back, but those planes have not shown up there in a while. Maybe I should move a para regiment down here along with some transports. Sallies are already staging southwards just in case.

Over in Burma, two new JAAF base forces arrived at Magwe and Meiktila. I now have a very respectable fighter presence in central Burma. It may be time to conduct a sweep of Chitagong. I would like to find out just how "uber" Tojo's are against Hurricanes. [:D]
The Zero's might do a decent job as well.


Image
Attachments
GreatJava..HuntII.jpg
GreatJava..HuntII.jpg (90.13 KiB) Viewed 277 times
User avatar
CapAndGown
Posts: 3078
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Virginia, USA

Star Wars in the Pacific

Post by CapAndGown »

Sept. 26, 1942

B-17s bombed Port Moresby today. My bleed-over CAP from Buna did not accomplish anything, though one B-17 was lost operationally. Lightnings also swept Port Moresby. They showed up after the bombers, so I don't know that they accomplished much. They did shoot down 1 Zero. The Lightnings are now coming in at 39,000 feet. This is obviously ridiculous. Rather than trying to compete in altitude, which I can't, I have decided to lower the patrol altitude of most of my fighters down to their optimal maneuverability altitude. The Tojo's at Kiriwina are still set to 35,000 feet with the expectation that if witpqs sweeps Milne Bay, I will have a layered CAP from the bleed-over from Kiriwina.

I have decided to repay the favor by doing my own stratosphere sweep of Chitagong. Witpqs has some Hurricane IIc Trops there So I am sending a mass of Tojo's on a sweep mission at 36,000 feet. I also am going to send Zero's and Nick's there as well, though in that case, they are going to fly at only 15,000 feet. I do not expect these sweeps to be coordinated. Indeed, I would expect the Tojo's to arrive later than the Zero's and Nick's. But I think it might be nice to eat into the replacement pool of Hurricanes through a mass attack.

The Sailfish is limping home. It looks like it may try to transit into the Indian Ocean via Merak. I am hoping it hits a mine there! An ASW TF is also shadowing the sub.

The detection level on a number of my subs down in the south has suddenly jumped. I didn't see anything during the replay about search planes spotting my subs. But it looks like somebody is transiting between Tahiti and New Zealand. Possibly the US Carriers, though it could be some capital ships with float planes. Not sure what to make of this. Nothing I can do about it at the moment. My CVs are up at Nauru. Maybe I should have sortied them south with the goal of making a sweep between New Zealand and Australia.
bklooste
Posts: 1104
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:47 am

RE: Star Wars in the Pacific

Post by bklooste »

Best way to fight the strat sweep is multiple units at dif altitudes + radar
 
eg put a chutai on top with 30% cap  prob 1 plane in the air but the P-38s will dive on them , your chutai will dive away taking the P38s with them , if you have a daitai  or 2 a bit lower they then get a bounce on the P-38s. At leasts it becomes a lot more random.
Underdog Fanboy
User avatar
CapAndGown
Posts: 3078
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Virginia, USA

RE: Star Wars in the Pacific

Post by CapAndGown »

Sept 28-29, 1942

More action in the last few turns than we have seen in a while.

On the 28 I sent a large contingent of fighter to sweep Chitagong.

First in were the Zero's which did not do a very good job, losing 2-1. Then again, these guys were relative newbies.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 24

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIc Trop x 19
P-40E Warhawk x 25

Next up were a group of Tojo's flying an orbital reentry trajectory (36,000 feet). These guys are quite good and ended up claiming 8 kills.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 37

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIc Trop x 13
P-40E Warhawk x 15

Then it was the Nick's turn. By this time the allied CAP had been worn down quite a bit.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Japanese aircraft
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 37

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIc Trop x 1
P-40E Warhawk x 1

A few more raids went in, mostly stragglers, but also including a group of 32 Tojo's, but by that time the Allies had run out of planes to put up on CAP.

Overall score for the 28th:
Hurricane IIc Trop 8 A2A 3 Op
A6M2 Zero .........6 A2A 1 Op
P40E Warhawk ......5 A2A 1 Op
Ki-44-IIa Tojo ....4 A2A

On the 29, I just sent in the Nicks since they had low fatigue.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Japanese aircraft
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 37

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIc Trop x 8
P-40E Warhawk x 13

2 Nick's were lost A2A, while 2 more were ops loses. The allies lost 3 P40E Warhawks.

Next turn, weather permitting, I am sending in Tojo's again. They seem to be a superior sweeper.

My supposition that the allies were running some convoys down south turned out to be correct. At least two convoys crossed my sub picket line today. Both of these convoys were stocked with xAPs. So a large contingent of troops are moving either to Australia or New Zealand. The I-26 was pounded hard by the escorts and will probably sink. It has float damage of 80.

It is evident that the allies have some carrier presence down there. The detection level on many subs is greater than zero which would only be possible if carrier patrol AC are present. This supposition is reinforced by the fact that 4 SBD were the victims of ops loses today. Also, after the slaughter of last convoy to run this gauntlet, it is hard to imagine that witpqs would not have CVs here to defend his convoys.

So if I wanted to carrier battle, I know right where to go! [:D] Thing is, I have no intention of fighting his carriers unless I have favorable circumstances. My ideal scenario for a carrier engagement would be as a follow up to multiple LBA air attacks on his carriers during which time his CAP would be worn down. (I know, this was the Japanese plan for defending the Marianas and it didn't work out too well for them. But it was still a decent plan, even if the assets weren't up to snuff.)

During the replay I heard the sound of a sinking sub. I thought it was the I-26, but he is still around. So obviously, it was an allied sub. My guess is the Snapper since that sub came off the sunk ships list today [8|] and I know that sub was hit hard.

Sub recon of Townsville and Cairns indicates there are no mines at either of those bases. Air recon indicates that Cairns is where the P-38 Lightnings are based. After I deal with some allied subs patrolling the Solomon Sea, I am going to send a CA TF to bombard Cairns to see if I can't take out some of those Lightnings.

In production news, I ordered a substantial expansion of Merchant Shipyards. (40 new yards were ordered built.) I now have over 900,000 HI points in the bank, with over 4,000 being added every day. It is about time I started to spend some of them. I want to start being able to accelerate multiple TKs.
User avatar
CapAndGown
Posts: 3078
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Virginia, USA

RE: Star Wars in the Pacific

Post by CapAndGown »

Oct. 1, 1942

Another day, another sweep. This time 7 Tojo's were lost A2A. Figuring out the allied loses is a little more difficult since there is a discrepancy between the A2A casualties listed on the front page of the intelligence screen, and the casualties listed in the detailed break down. According the front page, the allies lost 7 planes A2A. But the detail page shows 5 Hurricanes lost A2A (2 op) and 4 P-40's lost A2A, for a total of 9 planes A2A, not 7.

Another group of Tojo's will sweep again tomorrow. I am trying to eat into the Hurricane replacement rate somewhat since my own replacement rate is much higher. OTOH, I don't like losing pilots. On the third hand, my pilots do need some seasoning and there is no better way to get it than battle.

Looks like the allied convoys made it through my picket line without any casualties. My stupid subs targeted the damn DDs rather than the fat, juicy xAPs. [:(]
User avatar
CapAndGown
Posts: 3078
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Virginia, USA

RE: Star Wars in the Pacific

Post by CapAndGown »

Oct. 2-4, 1942

On the 2nd Tojo's swept Chitagong again. 10 Tojo's were lost A2A compared to 5 Hurricane IIc (+3 lost to ops) and 4 P-40E.

B-17s bombed Port Moresby. 1 B-17 was shot down by Zero's flying out of Buna while another was an op loss. 1 Zero was an op loss.

On the 3rd Nick's swept Chitagong. 2 Nicks were lost A2A versus 2 Hurricane IIc and 1 Hurricane IIb (plus one to ops).

P-38's swept Port Moresby. Unfortunately, there is no way to prevent bleed over CAP from Buna so 3 Zero's were lost A2A and only 1 P-38 was the victim of an ops loss.

On the 4th I responded by bombarding Cairns. 5 P-38's, 5 P-40E's, and 1 B-25 were destroyed on the ground while the runway sustained considerable (86) damage. I was hoping for more. It is possible that he moved his planes out when he spotted my bombardment TF south of Milne Bay.

The evacuation of Canton Island is now complete. I hope that the troops on Baker Island will be completely loaded next turn so that I can get the ships out of there before he notices.

I have decided to call off the attacks on Chitagong. I am going to let the allies come to me instead since this will increase their ops loses and cut down on the number of pilots I lose since I will be fighting over my own bases. I do not have near the number of trained fighter pilots in the General Reserve pool that I would like.

I am now in the process of upgrading Ta-Chi 2 radars to the new Ta-Chi 3. I hope this will increase my fighters efficiency. Come January the Ta-Chi 4 and Ta-Chi 7 radar sets become available. The 4 model has a range of 75 miles (the 2 and 3 models have a range of 48 miles) while the 7 model has a range of 145 miles. Their accuracy is also better. These kind of ranges would give my fighters lots of time to get into position to meet an incoming raid.

Six regiment size garrison units have arrived in the Home Islands over the past several days. This is a significant reinforcement and I am preparing to send five of them to garrison the Gilberts while moving the SNLFs/Nav Guard there up to the Marshals. (The stacking limits in the Gilberts are generally 30,000 while in the Marshals, the stacking limits are generally in the 6,000.)

I have decided that I will convert the Chitose and Chiyoda to CVL's come November. My understanding is that this can only be done at Tokyo, so I have expanded the repair shipyard there to 50. This conversion takes 300 days. I will not convert the other two CS's when they are available since I like having their search capability. Also, the Mizuho is too slow and thus too vulnerable IMO.



Swenslim
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:34 pm
Location: Odessa, Ukraine

RE: Star Wars in the Pacific

Post by Swenslim »

Stupid question.... where did you get such huge number of air support units for so many airbases ? As Japan player in mid July I have a serious shortage of air support units for much less number of base. If have for example base with 2 air units with 90 planes (for example Zero 45 planes and 36 Nell's) I need 4 air support units with 24*4= 96 air support points. If I have less, than majority of planes will spend a lt of time under repairs and not will be able to effectivly attack. Especially that applys Mavis and Emily units.
User avatar
CapAndGown
Posts: 3078
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Virginia, USA

RE: Star Wars in the Pacific

Post by CapAndGown »

ORIGINAL: Swenslim

Stupid question.... where did you get such huge number of air support units for so many airbases ? As Japan player in mid July I have a serious shortage of air support units for much less number of base. If have for example base with 2 air units with 90 planes (for example Zero 45 planes and 36 Nell's) I need 4 air support units with 24*4= 96 air support points. If I have less, than majority of planes will spend a lt of time under repairs and not will be able to effectivly attack. Especially that applys Mavis and Emily units.

96 air support! [X(] I am lucky if I have 24! [:D]

Actually, that is not far from the truth. My Zero/Netty pairs are based with Air HQ/Flotilla units. The bases that surround the Air HQ/Flotilla are often only a 24 sized JNAF or JAAF unit. Some bases are just patrol bases that only have 8 aviation support. (For instance, Denpasar and Bandjermasin have just 8 aviation support and are hosting Jake Chutais on ASW patrol.) My most valuable assets (beside the Air HQ/Flotillas) are the JAAF base forces with 48 aviation support. These are generally in front line positions hosting larger fighter Sentais (42 and 36 size Sentais). Besides their larger contingent of aviation support, they also have 2 radar sets. I have bought out every JAAF base force I could find in Manchuria. Also, a few turns back I bought out every non-static aviation unit in the Home Islands. (These almost all have 24 aviation support.)

Also, don't let my maps fool you: some of these bases, such as the Bismark's and northern New Guinea are being built up for future use. They do not all have aviation support units installed yet.

Another thing is that rear areas do not have aviation support units. Only a few transit bases get aviation support. For instance, in the Philippines, only Manila and Naga have aviation support. Singapore only has 24 aviation support.

Also, I am willing to have more planes at a base that aviation support. I decided that I am the Japanese player. I am supposed to be lacking in aviation support! [:D] I feel it is more important to have lots of bases that can't all be shut down and to which my planes can rebase, even if under-supported, than it is to have a fewer well supported bases.

Come January, I will receive a large influx of aviation support units.

My biggest problem is not aviation support right now. It is finding units to garrison these bases to guard against para-drops and/or a series of quickie amphib invasions. I am trying to develop contingency plans so that once the allies have established a foothold in one of my defensive sectors they will not be able to rapidly overrun numerous bases because they are so poorly garrisoned. Basically, I am trying to figure out just how thin I can stretch my forces without being vulnerable to an air drop or battalion sized invasion. (In other words, I don't want to be in the position the allies find themselves in in the DEI at the start of the game! [:D])
Swenslim
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:34 pm
Location: Odessa, Ukraine

RE: Star Wars in the Pacific

Post by Swenslim »

I think it is impossible for Japan player guard all this bases. Allied player dont even need to invade them, he can quickly build airfield and port on any dot or emty base. Atolls of Caroline islands can not be defended at all because you can station there 2 SNLFs squds max and air support unit, if  allied player want them he will have. Japan player can only hope for decisive win in CV battle that will compulse allied player to abandon invasion for few months.

On my opinion there are few bases of forward perometr that have strategical importence for whole Japan defence. allied player will not be able to push forward untill he will take them or shut their facilities. This bases are - Koepang, Ambon, Port Moresby, Rabaul, Truk, Rangoon. This bases must become impenitrable fortresses.
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: Star Wars in the Pacific

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Hi cag,

I have a question regarding your pilot training. To what level do you train pilots up to before sending them to the group/general reserve and bring in a new class of trainees to your training squadrons? I have some units in China for example that seem to train the experience level to about 50 and skills in the 60's, then it slows right down, so I tend to switch out the pilots at this stage and send in all new inexperienced pilots. I then take these 50+ pilots and begin placing some in frontline units to gain actual combat experience. Mind you, this is mostly for army air units, I tend to train up the naval flyers higher before bringing in a new batch. I'm curious what your ideas are on training and if you are keeping pilots in longer for a higher experience rating before transferring them out?

Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
CapAndGown
Posts: 3078
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Virginia, USA

RE: Star Wars in the Pacific

Post by CapAndGown »

Oct. 5, 1942

Both Baker and Canton Islands have been successfully evacuated. Those SNLFs are being transferred to the Marshals. Six regiment sized garrison units are now sitting in Yokohama. Five will be used to garrison the Gilberts. One is bound for Padang on Sumatra. The 1st Division is at Keijo. When I have enough PPs in about 2 weeks, it will be sent to DEI. I currently have two SNLFs at Wake. After considering the value of this island, I have decided to pull one of them out and bring it down to the Marshals. I have also decided to not defend Majuro.
ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

Hi cag,

I have a question regarding your pilot training. To what level do you train pilots up to before sending them to the group/general reserve and bring in a new class of trainees to your training squadrons? I have some units in China for example that seem to train the experience level to about 50 and skills in the 60's, then it slows right down, so I tend to switch out the pilots at this stage and send in all new inexperienced pilots. I then take these 50+ pilots and begin placing some in frontline units to gain actual combat experience. Mind you, this is mostly for army air units, I tend to train up the naval flyers higher before bringing in a new batch. I'm curious what your ideas are on training and if you are keeping pilots in longer for a higher experience rating before transferring them out?

I guess great minds think alike. This is just what I do! I started out wanting higher experience since I was used to UV/WitP where experience is the end all and be all. But my standards have been going down. I am now satisfied if they get up to around 54-56. I do let fighter pilots get their A2A skills up to 70. I also want their defense skill to be at least 50, though I am find this harder to obtain. I also tend to like to bring in lower experience pilots into elite formations so that they can hopefully get some benefit from flying with more experienced pilots.

My big shortage is with fighter pilots, particularly IJN fighter pilots. I have lots of bomber pilots in the reserve pool. Those guys cross train on several different skills, such as Grnd, NavB, NavT and ASW, so their exp levels tend to get up into the 50s before I release them to the pool. For some of my fighter squadrons I am having them fly CAP to try to increase their experience level. I don't like the idea of a fighter pilot with less than 50 exp in the front line.

One last note: every time I get an 80+ exp pilot, unless he is the group leader, I dump him into TRACOM.
ORIGINAL: Swenslim
I think it is impossible for Japan player guard all this bases. Allied player dont even need to invade them, he can quickly build airfield and port on any dot or emty base. Atolls of Caroline islands can not be defended at all because you can station there 2 SNLFs squds max and air support unit, if allied player want them he will have. Japan player can only hope for decisive win in CV battle that will compulse allied player to abandon invasion for few months.

On my opinion there are few bases of forward perometr that have strategical importence for whole Japan defence. allied player will not be able to push forward untill he will take them or shut their facilities. This bases are - Koepang, Ambon, Port Moresby, Rabaul, Truk, Rangoon. This bases must become impenitrable fortresses.

To get a decisive CV engagement, I need to be able to hold a base for a few turns before it falls to give time for the CVs to show up and for LBA to attack. If he just sails in and takes it on the initial shock attack, there will be no need for his CVs to stick around. An SNLF unit is about 1/2 regiment sized. Sitting behind level 4 forts it is not going to fall to anything less than a full division assault in one turn. Indeed, if his initial shock attack fails to dislodge the defenders, then it will take him several days to regroup before he can attack again.

So, you say, he will just use a full division or more. True. But then that limits the number of atolls his can take in one go. The greater the force devoted to one assault, the fewer assaults he can make. If he only takes 1-3 atolls on the first go round, that leaves me with other atolls around from which I can bomb and sweep his airfields. Also, it takes time to prep for his next target. Without adequate preparation, amphib invasions suffer huge numbers of disablements. Thus, for every island he need to prep for and cannot take on the cheap, the more time I am buying. My plan is not to stop the allied advance, but to slow it down.

Also, I do not believe in the one big base theory. That did not work for Japan IRL and I don't think it would work here. The allies simply went around Rabaul and Truk. My goal, as stated above, is to make it so the allies can only take a limited number of bases per offensive operation, leaving me with numerous other bases from which to attack his newly acquired base. A big part of the problem that Cuttlefish had was that Q-Ball took numerous bases all in one go making a Japanese counter impossible since the allies now had multiple airbases from which they could attack. My goal is to prevent the allies from grabbing a large number of bases in one offensive.


Image
Attachments
ZeroNettyteams.jpg
ZeroNettyteams.jpg (56.2 KiB) Viewed 278 times
Swenslim
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:34 pm
Location: Odessa, Ukraine

RE: Star Wars in the Pacific

Post by Swenslim »

Another little advice to you. Your submurine picket lines are absolutely useless !!! No convoy will ever sail there. Load as allied player first scenario for example and send supply convoy from Cape Town to Perth or Melburne. It will appear on map not in hexes near Cape Town of off map icon but on 170.005 hex on direct parallel line  to Perth or parallel line Melburne !!! So if you want to hit some cargo vessels, learn allied cargo routes :)
User avatar
CapAndGown
Posts: 3078
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Virginia, USA

RE: Star Wars in the Pacific

Post by CapAndGown »

Oct. 6-8, 1942

The last few turns have featured some successes in my anti-Sub efforts.

Witpqs had about 5 subs running patrols around the Solomons. On the 6th, one of my ASW TFs hit the Gar very, very hard. After being hit by DCs, it surfaced and was subjected to 5" gunfire. It did not sink right away, but it has now disappeared and is listed as sunk.

On the 7th, the Seawolf took some nasty hits from an ASW patrol I have running between Bali and the next island to the east. Although the damage was severe, I did not think it was enough to sink it. Yet it too is listed as sunk. The passage between Bali and the island to the east has been the allied point of egress into the Java Sea, so I now have a permanent patrol guarding that passage.

My planes also regularly report hits on allied subs. Mostly that is just BS, but I do believe that they are scoring occasional hits. A British sub, in fact, is listed as being sunk by a 250 kg bomb.
ORIGINAL: Swenslim

Another little advice to you. Your submurine picket lines are absolutely useless !!! No convoy will ever sail there. Load as allied player first scenario for example and send supply convoy from Cape Town to Perth or Melburne. It will appear on map not in hexes near Cape Town of off map icon but on 170.005 hex on direct parallel line  to Perth or parallel line Melburne !!! So if you want to hit some cargo vessels, learn allied cargo routes :)

The allies will not be taking the direct route between Capetown and Perth or Melbourne. If they do, they will be spotted by my patrol planes based at Cocos island. Witpqs is probably aware of this an so if he uses this route at all, he will hug the map edge. (See the picture below.) This is what he is doing in the Pacific: transiting between Tahiti and New Zealand by going very, very far south. For instance, two troop convoys just ran across my picket line a little while back. And earlier, during my CV raid, two of his unescorted xAPs that ran across the sub screen were torpedoed and sunk. The picket lines stay where they are.


Image
Attachments
ASWandCocos.jpg
ASWandCocos.jpg (97.42 KiB) Viewed 277 times
Swenslim
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:34 pm
Location: Odessa, Ukraine

RE: Star Wars in the Pacific

Post by Swenslim »

You dont understood what I said. Convoy will apper at the right low end of the map, Cocos Island is 50-60 hexes away. Convoy will appear on  map at 004,170 hex.
User avatar
CapAndGown
Posts: 3078
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Virginia, USA

RE: Star Wars in the Pacific

Post by CapAndGown »

ORIGINAL: Swenslim

You dont understood what I said. Convoy will apper at the right low end of the map, Cocos Island is 50-60 hexes away. Convoy will appear on  map at 004,170 hex.

Holy Cow! Boy, I really need to play as the allies. I had no idea they could just pop out anywhere. No wonder my sweeps in the Indian Ocean have not turned up anything! I need to go further south. Hmm. Maybe it is time for some surface raiders.
User avatar
PaxMondo
Posts: 11276
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:23 pm

RE: Star Wars in the Pacific

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: cap_and_gown

ORIGINAL: Swenslim

You dont understood what I said. Convoy will apper at the right low end of the map, Cocos Island is 50-60 hexes away. Convoy will appear on  map at 004,170 hex.

Holy Cow! Boy, I really need to play as the allies. I had no idea they could just pop out anywhere. No wonder my sweeps in the Indian Ocean have not turned up anything! I need to go further south. Hmm. Maybe it is time for some surface raiders.

That's what I'm doing right now. This is one of MANY little "gems" that I have picked up on. Someone once said "know your opponent". Boy, did I forget that and pay big. [:D]
Pax
User avatar
CarnageINC
Posts: 2208
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:47 am
Location: Rapid City SD

RE: Star Wars in the Pacific

Post by CarnageINC »

I was looking back through your AAR and noticed that you planned on a possible invasion for Perth area in June of 42.  What happened with those plans and how hard is he pressing you in N. Australia right now?  Thanks for the AAR C&G [;)]
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”