Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
PaxMondo
Posts: 11261
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:23 pm

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

28 May 43

Sub War

Lots of action today. My subs were mainly targets.

The first action almost made me choke. Remember the I-174, who sank an LST yesterday? Well, she was still heading up the eastern coast of Australia to refuel. She ran into a TF composed of 4 CA, 4 Cl, 4 DD and the Enterprise! She fired four torpedoes and……missed. *Sigh* Then she paid the ultimate price.

Off Lae, the RO-108 ate a DC and took heavy damage: 27-70(41)-7-0. She’s going to try and limp home.

Remember the I-19, NE of Pearl Harbor and in the middle of lots of targets? Well, she was the target of a KV, took 2 DCs and will also try to limp home: 19-49(28)-2(2)-0.

My subs suck.
No, the USN just got their first ASW upgrade ... they get another one in '44 sometime ... all under the hood, but the impact is pretty easily seen.

[:@][:@][:@]
Pax
User avatar
ny59giants
Posts: 9902
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:02 pm

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by ny59giants »

Most of the American DDs get the same type of Depth Charges. However, there are a few classes that get another DC version which is more accurate....and deadly! [:-] Maybe your opponent is not as OCD as you are to know that. [:D]
[center]Image[/center]
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Lowpe »

At this point your subs will rarely have lone wolf success. You need to stage them in groups that wear out the ASW and hope you have one left to take advantage of it.

Or use them as pickets/searchers.

Or use them to run supplies.

Here is a tactic I used to good success against Jocke. Say the Allies have a couple of big air bases providing CAP protection on the front lines. I manually shut down the search arcs to exclude those areas, and instead run three glen equipped subs behind the air bastions. Using their glens to search, I then hope the get a strong enough DL for the Betties/Nells to strike deep, into un-escorted convoy ships well behind the strong forward air bases.

I got burned once when I got sigint and the bomberes sortied off the sigint, but that is war.[;)]

User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16746
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Here is a tactic I used to good success against Jocke. Say the Allies have a couple of big air bases providing CAP protection on the front lines. I manually shut down the search arcs to exclude those areas, and instead run three glen equipped subs behind the air bastions. Using their glens to search, I then hope the get a strong enough DL for the Betties/Nells to strike deep, into un-escorted convoy ships well behind the strong forward air bases.

Now that is clever! I need to try that! Thanks!
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16746
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Mike Solli »

29 May 43

Sub War

Nothing to report.

5 Fleet

A couple of sweeps of Unmak cleared out the fighters killing 4 at a cost of 2 Zeros. Then 60 DBs and 60 TBs went after the airfield. No losses here but they only damaged 11 planes and caused light damage to the airfield. [8|]

It's interesting that my Sally sentai received no AAA when they bombed the US troops at Adak. I don't believe he there is no supply there, because during each day's artillery bombardment, I track the starting and ending AV of each of the 4 units as well as the overall US and Japanese AV. The US AV is constantly decreasing by 5-10 per day with occasional increases of about that much. Maybe the transports are not flying every day? Usually, the US units will increase their AV a bit each day before the bombardment. Here's an example of how I track it. I do it during the artillery bombardment:

27 May
Jp AV 1284
US AC 499
58 Sep IB 95-81 (start-finish)
41 ID 196-193
151 EN 41-32
153 Sep IB 98-91

28 May
Jp AV 1280
US AC 495
58 Sep IB 94-82
41 ID 221-207
151 EN 38-29
153 Sep IB 106-99

29 May
Jp AV 1282
US AC 487
58 Sep IB 93-87
41 ID 222-204
151 EN 37-26
153 Sep IB 99-90

It might all be just FOW. Anyway, I'm going to attack probably within a week.

Adak currently has >31k supply and the fort is up to 5.29.

4 Fleet

Nothing to report.

SE Fleet

Not a bad day overall. Rabaul was the focus again allowing Gasmata to repair more damage. Overall, I lost 4 fighters (+3 op losses) to 4 enemy fighters and 9x 4E bombers (+6 op losses). Finally, I'm starting to down some bombers. The enemy 2E bombers stayed away because they can no longer survive in that environment. Final base damage:

Gasmata 38-37-0
Rabaul 13-25-13

Not too bad. I sent another Zero chutai to reinforce Rabaul but the fighter units that are there have a lot of damaged aircraft. Many should repair in 1 day, but I'm not sure exactly when that damage is repaired during the turn. Hopefully, it's before air combat.

On a bad note, the 2 Marine Division and a combat engineer regiment landed at Lunga. I don't have much there. There is a naval guard unit, a naval guard company, an engineer battalion and a small AS unit. They will be pushed to the other end of Guadalcanal (if they survive at all).

SRA

I bombarded Darwin again, with a TF composed of 2 BB, 2CA, 1CL (and 4 DD escort). They killed a few planes, damaged a couple dozen more and did moderate damage to the airfield and port. Nothing to write home about.

Burma

Nothing to report.

China

I attacked Neikiang (the base to the west of Chungking) in an 8:1 deliberate assault. Losses were pretty nice with 1607(7) Japanese to 7321(498) Chinese. The remnants withdrew toward Chungking. The infrastructure was badly damaged:

Manpower 1(1)
Resources 7(33)
LI 4(16)

No repairs will be made.

The Chinese are now down to 3 bases. In addition to Chungking with ~620k troops, there is a surrounded base with ~110k troops slowly starving and a dot hex with on unit in it. I have a division there to take it. There are also a few units scattered around dying on the vine.

I'm bombing Chungking daily and see no flak. That's interesting.

Other Stuff

Nothing exciting to report.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Dirtnap86
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:22 pm

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Dirtnap86 »

He may have set all his divisions to rest. IIRC they won't fire AA when in rest/training mode.
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16746
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Mike Solli »

Interesting. Never realized that but it makes sense.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Lowpe »

Multiple waves of bombers can deplete the ammo from the AA units in question...they fire till they have no more, and or sometimes the supply will go to replenishing other units first, especially if it is being flown in as the transports usually deliver to a unit first.

I suspect the admin levels of leadership might play a part on who gets resupplied first among other variables.
User avatar
Lokasenna
Posts: 9304
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:57 am
Location: Iowan in MD/DC

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Lokasenna »

It's also possible that they just have no AA guns.
User avatar
Dirtnap86
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:22 pm

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Dirtnap86 »

Chungking in stock has lots of the 3" guns in the ENG units.
User avatar
Lokasenna
Posts: 9304
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:57 am
Location: Iowan in MD/DC

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Dirtnap86

Chungking in stock has lots of the 3" guns in the ENG units.

But those can move...
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16746
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Mike Solli »

[:D] We'll find out soon enough, gents. Believe me, I've been thinking all those same thoughts.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16746
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Mike Solli »

30 May 43

Sub War

I was lazy today and it cost me a badly damaged sub. [:-] As I said earlier, I found the sea route between Pearl and the US West coast. The I-23 was heading to patrol that SLOC but transited through the Hawaiian Islands to get there, skirting around Pearl Harbor. The DD Benham found her 2 hexes NE of Pearl and hit her with a DC. Apparently the damage wasn’t severe enough to send her home so she continued on course and was found again by several KVs hitting her again. Now, she’s headed home with the following damage: 41-60(21)-10(6)-0.

5 Fleet

A Zero sweep of Unmak found a single P-400 which was promptly shot down. I had set MKBs bombers to naval attack and a secondary airfield attack at Unmak. Eighteen Vals and 33 Kates went after the airfield killing a Catalina while damaging about half a dozen planes (including a B-17E). Looks like the airfield damage there is ~17%. Then, 2 Kates (sheesh), 18 Vals and 13 Judies went after shipping in the area sinking an AVP and badly damaging an xAK and PC. Not really worth the effort. [8|] Finally, a dozen Judies found and sank an xAK just off Cold harbor. Those 500kg bombs really do a number on soft skinned ships. I lost 2 Kates and a Val (1 KIA) overall to op losses.

Tomorrow, I’ll send 2 Zero daitai to sweep Unmak again and send the bombers on port attack. Then I’ll scoot to the SW to refuel and make sure nothing is coming after MKB. I may hang around long enough for the BBs to visit Dutch Harbor for a bombardment. They could go far to clean up all the shipping there. Then, Adak will be in their cross-hair.

Adak still has >31k supply and the fort level is up to 5.31.

Amchitka’s airfield is just a couple of days away from reaching level 4. The Sally sentai stationed there is still using only 2x 250kg bombs per plane. Can’t wait to double that! [:D]

4 Fleet

I have a SNLF headed toward Baker and Canton Islands. I have learned that Baker is unguarded, but there are an unknown number and type of troops at Canton. I had the CA Ashigara bombard Canton today. I suspect that was a surprise to Ted. The ship was undetected the whole time. The invasion fleet is still undetected. The bombardment did light damage to the airfield and port disabling about 18 non-combat squads and killing a combat squad. There was no CD fire. That’s interesting. I expected a Marine defense battalion to be there. The Ashigara will rejoin the invasion fleet and I am going to send them in. It may be a disaster but we’ll see. At the very least, it may cause Ted to react to me for a change. [:'(]

SE Fleet

The 2E bombers are satisfied with hitting the remnants of the former Japanese Madang garrison (a construction battalion and an AS unit). Rabaul was hit by a total of 47x 4E sorties and 8 Corsairs. They were opposed by 39 Japanese fighters. Losses and damage were light. Each side lost 1 fighter and 2x B-17s were shot down. Gasmata was untouched. Here’s the current damage:

Rabaul: 17-32-7
Gasmata: 38-7-0

Tulagi was hit by a small force of 10x B24s doing light damage (repaired) and shooting down a Zero.

At Lunga, a surprising event occurred. The 2 Marine Division and a combat engineer regiment did a deliberate assault against a Naval Guard unit, a Naval Guard company, and an engineer battalion and a small AS unit. The attack went in at 1:2(!) reducing the fort from 5 to 4. Japanese losses were 113(4) and US losses were 119(0). They apparently took a decent number of disablements, particularly in engineers. I still have over half of my infantry in good shape. I doubt I survive another attack, but I didn’t expect to survive this attack!

I had the 11 Air Fleet HQ in Rabaul. I used air transports to pull all I could to Truk but couldn’t get some motorized support and torpedoes out by air. I snuck an xAK-t in and got the rest out in 1 day. Banzai!

SRA
Burma


Nothing exciting to report. I sweep Adak each day usually finding a Hurricane or 2. Sometimes I shoot one down, for practice. My bombers (5x sentai) are all standing down and have been replenished with planes and pilots. I’m thinking about sending them against Cox’s Bazaar’s airfield, for fun. I’ll wait for a relatively good forecast which may not be awhile considering it’s monsoon season.

China

Maneuvering to surround Chungking. I have several armies working their way to Chungking but some are a week or more away. We’re getting there.

I’m working on upgrading all the infantry divisions that can upgrade to the 43 infantry squads. Yeah, they’re not much better but I’ll take anything I can get.

Other Stuff

Reinforcements:
E Iki – Etorofu class – ASW/convoy escort
SC Ch-42 – ASW
12 Field AF Construction Battalion – Northern Army
21 Field AF Construction Battalion – Northern Army
13 Field AF Construction Battalion – 2 Area Army
16 Field AF Construction Battalion – 2 Area Army
18 Field AF Construction Battalion – 2 Area Army
19 Field AF Construction Battalion – 2 Area Army
22 Field AF Construction Battalion – 14 Army
24 Field AF Construction Battalion – 14 Army
23 Field AF Construction Battalion – Southern Army
29 Field AF Construction Battalion – 32 Army
67 JAAF AF Battalion – Kwantung Army
75 JAAF AF Battalion – Southern Army
78 JAAF AF Battalion – Southern Army
95 JAAF AF Battalion – China Expeditionary Army

The Ki-100-II Tony R&D advanced to December 1943 (expected July 1943). [:D]
The D4Y3 Judy R&D advanced to June 1944 (expected November 1943).

My one operational Tony unit has just about finished repairing its brand spanking new planes. Soon, they’ll be tested against the Allies down in SE Fleet area. I’m just a few days away from a second unit of them. Can’t wait!

The Oscar is just about finished with front line service in both SE Fleet and Burma. They’re too vulnerable. They will continue to be in service in China, SRA and 5 Fleet, although I plan on upgrading the Oscar sentai stationed at Adak with the Tojo IIa soon. I have air superiority up there, but once Ted decides to contest with real fighters, I’ll need the Tojo.

The SS Pickerel was confirmed sunk on 19 Mar 43. Ok, that’s 1 less than the gazillion subs to worry about.

I have 3 CVs that I accelerate about 2 days in 3. I expect them to become operational around mid-September 1943. That’ll add almost 200 to KBs air strength. They come with full air units too, which is a plus. I believe the air crews are pretty well trained. When they arrive, I think I’ll be able to accelerate the other 3 CVs (not counting Taiho & Shinano which are both stopped) constantly and maybe a few DDs too. This is just a rough estimate, but I hope to get the last 3 CVs by spring 1944.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
ny59giants
Posts: 9902
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:02 pm

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by ny59giants »

Gilbert - What do you have here for troops?? IMO from playing both sides, "Tabby" (Tabiteuea) is the key to the Gilberts and later to the Marshalls due to it potential base size.
[center]Image[/center]
User avatar
rustysi
Posts: 7472
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:23 am
Location: LI, NY

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by rustysi »

I’ll wait for a relatively good forecast which may not be awhile considering it’s monsoon season.

Yeah, through Oct 15th (or is that Nov 15th).[:D]
The Oscar is just about finished with front line service in both SE Fleet and Burma.

I get what you are saying, but remember they have an excellent range and good maneuverability. They therefore make for good ablative armor for your bomber groups. One or maybe two in each area could come in handy.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16746
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Mike Solli »

Ablative armor. Yeah, good description. [:D]
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
PaxMondo
Posts: 11261
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:23 pm

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by PaxMondo »

I have never been a fan of the concept: ablative armor. My issue is that I am building up the exp pool of the allied fighter pilots. So, there are a few ... very few ... occasions when this tactic is needed: the mission goal exceeds the cost (attacking high value shipping targets), but otherwise ... consider carefully before using it ...
Pax
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

I have never been a fan of the concept: ablative armor. My issue is that I am building up the exp pool of the allied fighter pilots. So, there are a few ... very few ... occasions when this tactic is needed: the mission goal exceeds the cost (attacking high value shipping targets), but otherwise ... consider carefully before using it ...

+1.

The Oscar IIIa (range) and the Oscar IV (cl cannons) are valuable planes for the entire war and have a role to play other than ablative armor.

Their role changes. They are cheap in supplies that there is already factories established and usually pretty decent pools. For example they provide the ability to sting the Allies in CAP traps over islands, really anywhere SR 1 is valuable, and are quite good at whittling down a deathstar of planes thru cap traps. I can think of many more uses.

Japan has to use the proper tool for the job, and yes other planes are better but the Oscar does have a role to play for quite a long time. Make the most of them, and don't simply throw them away.
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16746
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Gilbert - What do you have here for troops?? IMO from playing both sides, "Tabby" (Tabiteuea) is the key to the Gilberts and later to the Marshalls due to it potential base size.

There's not much there. Also, Tabiteuea has no Allied troops there. Ted is basically ignoring the CentPac.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16746
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Mike Solli »

I agree with you guys that every type of equipment has a place in the Japanese arsenal. Ablative armor means lots of pilot losses. I'm pulling the Oscar IIa out because it's no longer viable for the most part. The IIIa will be out in July. We'll see what it can do.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”