Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
Jill can use 800kg under port attack, Grace does not have that option. 800kg LB at 2000ft at night w/ radar.... its a nice option to have and one more threat for the allies to defend.
Pax
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16728
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
Morning guys. Well, everyone answered that much better than me. To be absolutely honest, I made this airframe plan years ago. I couldn't tell you how I picked much of anything. I can tell you, however, what is currently going on. I have 3x30 R&D factories going for the Jill and will get the B6N2a in December 1943. I am producing the Jill now and will upgrade some carriers very soon.
I also have 4 R&D factories working on the Grace. They are currently repaired at 22, 18, 14 & 14 so far. I can't give you an anticipated acceleration rate at this time though.
The big question I have to answer is what I will do with the Jill R&D factories when they are completed. I will let 1 become operational to double my Jill production to 60/month. The other two will most likely convert to something else. A7M2 maybe? Something else that will come sooner maybe? Not sure yet.
I also have 4 R&D factories working on the Grace. They are currently repaired at 22, 18, 14 & 14 so far. I can't give you an anticipated acceleration rate at this time though.
The big question I have to answer is what I will do with the Jill R&D factories when they are completed. I will let 1 become operational to double my Jill production to 60/month. The other two will most likely convert to something else. A7M2 maybe? Something else that will come sooner maybe? Not sure yet.
Created by the amazing Dixie
- ny59giants
- Posts: 9902
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:02 pm
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
The big question I have to answer is what I will do with the Jill R&D factories when they are completed. I will let 1 become operational to double my Jill production to 60/month. The other two will most likely convert to something else. A7M2 maybe? Something else that will come sooner maybe? Not sure yet.
Fighters and more fighters. For IJN you have the Sam and George. The IJA has Frank and ..... That would be my question to be answered.
[center]
[/center]
[/center]-
mind_messing
- Posts: 3394
- Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:59 am
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
Mike, would you mind sharing how you organize your pilot training programs? What is your regime and what do you consider ready for the frontline?
Also, to second what giants says, it might be worth bumping production of the airframes that will last you through to '45 up now, so that you've the pools to absorb losses. Airplane/engine pools can't be bombed, and even if you've a massive excess, there's always the kami potential!
Also, to second what giants says, it might be worth bumping production of the airframes that will last you through to '45 up now, so that you've the pools to absorb losses. Airplane/engine pools can't be bombed, and even if you've a massive excess, there's always the kami potential!
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
ORIGINAL: mind_messing
... there's always the kami potential!
so that you've the pools to absorb losses.
Jill is a seriously good low level 1E bomber. Good range, good load (for IJ), and when it gets radar a very effective night naval bomber.
Pax
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16728
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
ORIGINAL: mind_messing
Mike, would you mind sharing how you organize your pilot training programs? What is your regime and what do you consider ready for the frontline?
Also, to second what giants says, it might be worth bumping production of the airframes that will last you through to '45 up now, so that you've the pools to absorb losses. Airplane/engine pools can't be bombed, and even if you've a massive excess, there's always the kami potential!
I think this all has to do with pilot loss rates. I keep track of my average overall pilot loss rates per day (KIA + MIA)/Day #. I don't count the WIA because most of them come back. Those WIA that are lost I suspect are somewhat offset by the low number of pilots that are found, escape capture, etc. At any rate, I suspect it to be pretty low.
My pilot losses are actually pretty low. To date (15 Jun 43) I have 610 MIA and 2473 KIA (& 771 WIA if anyone cares) for a total of 3083 loss on day 555. That makes an average of 5.55 pilots lost per day for the entire war so far. Just so you have more numbers to throw around, in June 43 so far (15 days) I have lost 6 MIA and 36 KIA or 2.80 per day (+11 WIA). Note that this includes using most of my carriers during this period too. At any rate, my pilot losses are lower than I thought.
I use practically all of my training units for training. A few in the Home Islands actually do naval search or ASW and I've bought out 2 IJA fighter sentai from the training groups (one for SE Fleet a long time ago and one for 5 Fleet just a few months ago) along with one IJA bomber chutai for ASW (just bought this month for 5 Fleet). In addition, I use all of the air units in Kwantung for training. I have a lot of IJA units training pilots, so many in fact, that I was running out of IJA pilots. My initial minimum goals were 50 exp/70 skill but I've bumped it to 53+ exp/73+ skill. Right now, I have 1245 IJN and 563 IJA recruits in their pools. I currently have 1907 IJA and 1083 IJN in the reserve. you can see that the numbers are lopsided. That's because there are many more IJA training units than IJN. I'm finally starting to get more IJN training units so the numbers should even out eventually.
I actually have very recently changed my training strategy. I read about the importance of defensive skill. Until now, I never paid any attention to it. No longer!
So, here's what I do by type:
IJA
Fighters: 53+ experience, 70+ air, 70+ defense
Bombers: 50+ experience, 70+ ground bombing
Recon/ASW/naval search: 50+/70+
IJN
Fighters: 53+ experience, 70+ air, 70+ defense (KB/MKB uses 60-70+ exp)
DB: 50+ exp, 70+ naval bomb, 60+ naval search, 60+ ground bomb (KB gets 70+ exp, MKB gets 50+ exp)
TB: 50+ exp, 70+ naval bomb, 70+ naval torp, 60+ ground bomb (Nell/Betty only), 60+ naval search (KB gets 70+ exp, MKB gets 50+ exp)
Recon/ASW/naval search: 50+/70+
Note that I rarely use IJN bombers against ground targets. I want them to die going after ships, not troops.
I am a proponent of TRACOM. Right now I have 124 IJA and 148 IJN in TRACOM. I have up to 6 elite pilots in my fighter units (4-6 per KB/MKB group, 3 per ground based fighter unit). I yank all of the elite pilots out of the other unit types. Every training unit has 1 elite pilot.
For frontline fighter service, I start with ~50% 70+ exp and the remainder at 53+ exp. That seems to work pretty well. If I end up with ~75% 70+ exp, I cull some for the reserve and replace them with 53+ exp. I keep an eye on the elite pilots. Whenever it goes over 6, I pull the excess into TRACOM.
I realize that the quality will decrease over time, but that hasn't happened yet. I'll keep filling the reserve with 70+ exp pilots as long as possible for those nice airframes that are starting to arrive.
I usually check my training groups twice a month for graduates. I used to try and move them around from unit to unit and have specific units do specific training, but that was too cumbersome. Now if they complete the training in the unit they are in, they graduate to the reserve and I pull them into another training unit for different training (naval bomb to naval search, for example).
Hope this helps. If any of you have any other suggestions to help, holler in here. We're all learning (me most of all).
Created by the amazing Dixie
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16728
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
14 Jun 43
Sub War
Nothing to report (which is good, Michael).
5 Fleet
The turn went rather fast. When it ended, I realized there was no attack against the Adak infiltrators. I immediately went there to see if I had somehow set all my guys to defend. That’s when I realized the remaining Americans had disappeared. There were no comments anywhere. They just went *poof*! Finally! The total cost in destroyed squads to me was 5 infantry, 1 HMG and 1 combat engineer, all from 19 Division. In addition, about a dozen tanks died too. There are a fair number of disabled squads though. The tank regiment is still over strength so I am not going to upgrade the medium tanks at this time. I’m resting the 19 Division and the 23 Tank Regiment to allow them to repair their disabled squads a little more quickly. Everyone else is defending. I don’t expect another invasion anytime soon, but you never know. Also, if he does invade, it’ll be a lot more than 1 division and 2 regiments.
There is still a sub in the Adak hex. With the Japanese aptitude for ASW, that’s a smart idea. It’s worth the risk to nail some cargo ships trying to resupply Adak. That’s not really an issue though. I did burn through some supply in this campaign, but there still is 23.6k supply there.
My Helen chutai is at Adak and set at ASW at range 0. Adak’s airfield was level 3 so for the past few days, I had shut off working on forts there and was working on the airfield. It just reached level 4 today. I switched the engineers back to forts. They are currently at 5.49. I would really like to get them to level 7, but 6 may have to do.
Yudachi is still repairing at Adak harbor, and is coming along nicely. Her damage has been reduced to 12-54(54)-33(33)-0. In 2 or 3 days, she’ll be able to head for the Home Islands for complete repairs.
This little campaign has been relatively costly in fuel and supply, but in my opinion was necessary. Looking back at my notes, things started to heat up there in mid-November 1942, about 7 months ago. There was a build-up of Allied bombing, usually 30-50 bomber sorties a day, with occasional surprises by my carrier fighters to cull the Allied bomber flock. Ted had control of the sea with BBs and an occasional CV or two until I drove him away with my CVs and BBs. Well worth the fuel and pilot expenditure. I’m considering keeping a couple small CVLs at Etorofu as a quick reaction force if he does try something. Still pondering that.
The net result of this little action was the destruction of the 41 Division, 58 & 153 SEP Inf Reg and the 151 Combat EN Reg, along with 2 BB confirmed sunk at a cost of 5 Japanese DDs.
4 Fleet
Nothing to report.
SE Fleet
Ted is focusing on taking the little islands. He invaded Shortlands Island with a slice of the 24 Division. I have the following there:
85 Naval Guard
II/66 Naval Guard
8 Ind SNLF Company
5 Air Division HQ
41 Ind AA Company
3 Naval Construction Bn.
Only 96 AV. Forts are at 4.99 and the damage there is 0-11-0. I’m really hoping to clear the damage and get that extra 0.01 on the forts. They may be able to last a couple of turns.
RO-106 is reparing nicely at Rabaul: 8-39(39)-0-0.
SRA
Nothing to report.
Burma
A 39 plane Tojo sweep netted 12 of 15 Allied fighters over Akyab for no loss. Banzi!
China
Nothing to report.
Other Stuff
Reinforcements:
10 Sentai (29 Dinah), 51 Air Division, Naval Search training
AMc 16, 17, 18, 21
AM 102
E W-28
xAK Jinzan Maru, Std B, will convert to a TK
TK Azurai Maru, Type-1 TL (11.6k capacity), will convert to an AO
SC CHa-60
NE Turbojet engine R&D advanced to 10/45 (will become operational in 12/44).
Sub War
Nothing to report (which is good, Michael).
5 Fleet
The turn went rather fast. When it ended, I realized there was no attack against the Adak infiltrators. I immediately went there to see if I had somehow set all my guys to defend. That’s when I realized the remaining Americans had disappeared. There were no comments anywhere. They just went *poof*! Finally! The total cost in destroyed squads to me was 5 infantry, 1 HMG and 1 combat engineer, all from 19 Division. In addition, about a dozen tanks died too. There are a fair number of disabled squads though. The tank regiment is still over strength so I am not going to upgrade the medium tanks at this time. I’m resting the 19 Division and the 23 Tank Regiment to allow them to repair their disabled squads a little more quickly. Everyone else is defending. I don’t expect another invasion anytime soon, but you never know. Also, if he does invade, it’ll be a lot more than 1 division and 2 regiments.
There is still a sub in the Adak hex. With the Japanese aptitude for ASW, that’s a smart idea. It’s worth the risk to nail some cargo ships trying to resupply Adak. That’s not really an issue though. I did burn through some supply in this campaign, but there still is 23.6k supply there.
My Helen chutai is at Adak and set at ASW at range 0. Adak’s airfield was level 3 so for the past few days, I had shut off working on forts there and was working on the airfield. It just reached level 4 today. I switched the engineers back to forts. They are currently at 5.49. I would really like to get them to level 7, but 6 may have to do.
Yudachi is still repairing at Adak harbor, and is coming along nicely. Her damage has been reduced to 12-54(54)-33(33)-0. In 2 or 3 days, she’ll be able to head for the Home Islands for complete repairs.
This little campaign has been relatively costly in fuel and supply, but in my opinion was necessary. Looking back at my notes, things started to heat up there in mid-November 1942, about 7 months ago. There was a build-up of Allied bombing, usually 30-50 bomber sorties a day, with occasional surprises by my carrier fighters to cull the Allied bomber flock. Ted had control of the sea with BBs and an occasional CV or two until I drove him away with my CVs and BBs. Well worth the fuel and pilot expenditure. I’m considering keeping a couple small CVLs at Etorofu as a quick reaction force if he does try something. Still pondering that.
The net result of this little action was the destruction of the 41 Division, 58 & 153 SEP Inf Reg and the 151 Combat EN Reg, along with 2 BB confirmed sunk at a cost of 5 Japanese DDs.
4 Fleet
Nothing to report.
SE Fleet
Ted is focusing on taking the little islands. He invaded Shortlands Island with a slice of the 24 Division. I have the following there:
85 Naval Guard
II/66 Naval Guard
8 Ind SNLF Company
5 Air Division HQ
41 Ind AA Company
3 Naval Construction Bn.
Only 96 AV. Forts are at 4.99 and the damage there is 0-11-0. I’m really hoping to clear the damage and get that extra 0.01 on the forts. They may be able to last a couple of turns.
RO-106 is reparing nicely at Rabaul: 8-39(39)-0-0.
SRA
Nothing to report.
Burma
A 39 plane Tojo sweep netted 12 of 15 Allied fighters over Akyab for no loss. Banzi!
China
Nothing to report.
Other Stuff
Reinforcements:
10 Sentai (29 Dinah), 51 Air Division, Naval Search training
AMc 16, 17, 18, 21
AM 102
E W-28
xAK Jinzan Maru, Std B, will convert to a TK
TK Azurai Maru, Type-1 TL (11.6k capacity), will convert to an AO
SC CHa-60
NE Turbojet engine R&D advanced to 10/45 (will become operational in 12/44).
Created by the amazing Dixie
- ny59giants
- Posts: 9902
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:02 pm
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
Aleutians: What do you have at the dot bases between Adak and Umnak? If I was the Allies, I would steadily recover up here and then try some low cost invasions of those dot bases to allow some AF building to get me close to Adak with fighter cover. 4 hexes is ideal for the Allies as most fighters can fly that distance without drop tanks. Not saying he will re-invade in 90 days or so, but I might try to make Adak a self-sufficient POW camp like MacArthur did on New Guinea.
[center]
[/center]
[/center]- dasboot1960
- Posts: 449
- Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:38 pm
- Location: St Augustine, Florida
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
Wow. All Hail Mike Solli! (Truly, all contributors, I copied out 60- odd pages of notes) I probably first read parts of this shortly after it first started while playing Allies. I was seeking dark side insight. I saw all the R&D Production mumbo jumbo and immediately fled. I only played two abortive GCs, both as allies, one into May 42 doing ok with my IJ opponent succumbing to real life demands and the next with me abdicating in Apr 42 to a death by a thousand cuts airborne assault strategy on the India-Burma border(which still stings) against a guy that obviously had a lot more experience. I literally could not take it; he seemed surprised I hung in as long as I did. After my own real life and other games hiatus, I stumbled upon a guy that just bought the game and wanted a Japanese opponent. I rediscovered the thread at that point. After about two weeks of evenings reading I was very surprised to find at the end, it wasn't at the end! Thank you all for the input, ideas and guidance I intend to shortly put to use. My opponent to be is currently working up to speed, and I'm about to open the game for the first time in probably five years, and first ever as the Emperor. I know he is itching to go, so hopefully by the time he's 'comfortable'(if that feeling exists on the first turn one ever tries this game) I will have some idea of a strategy and viable Phase I operations worked out, and we shall proceed. Thank You All! I feel I should congratulate you Mike, you seem to have Ted fairly stymied and strung out(for now). I am a student of the campaign if not the game so much, and know as fully as you do what you're in for.
Down like a CLOWN!
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
Dark-side insight? You should go read an Allied AAR! [:'(]
The plucky Japanese are actually the good guys, fighting against the overwhelming tide of the evil oceanic empire... which even gets enormous task forces called Deathstars!
The plucky Japanese are actually the good guys, fighting against the overwhelming tide of the evil oceanic empire... which even gets enormous task forces called Deathstars!
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16728
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
Hi guys. Been a busy holiday season here but we've been playing turns. I just sent back the 22 Jun turn and I have notes for everything except that one. A couple comments first:
Michael, yes, 3 Air Division is in range of the fighters I sweep Akyab with. They fly out of Magwe, and some fly CAP over the oil there. I expected those oil fields to be burned out holes months ago. I'm loving all the oil I'm getting from there.
Michael again, yeah, I'm worried about him island hopping the Aleutians and cutting off Adak. Not sure what to do if that happens but he seems to be keeping quiet there right now. He's currently focused in the Solomons, right where I want him to focus.
Finally, Michael, you're right. I need to focus on fighters. My answer (whether good or bad) to the IJA fighter along with the Frank is the Ki-100-II Tony. That will become operational in mid-July 1943. We'll know soon how good it is.
Now I'll start posting turns...
Michael, yes, 3 Air Division is in range of the fighters I sweep Akyab with. They fly out of Magwe, and some fly CAP over the oil there. I expected those oil fields to be burned out holes months ago. I'm loving all the oil I'm getting from there.
Michael again, yeah, I'm worried about him island hopping the Aleutians and cutting off Adak. Not sure what to do if that happens but he seems to be keeping quiet there right now. He's currently focused in the Solomons, right where I want him to focus.
Finally, Michael, you're right. I need to focus on fighters. My answer (whether good or bad) to the IJA fighter along with the Frank is the Ki-100-II Tony. That will become operational in mid-July 1943. We'll know soon how good it is.
Now I'll start posting turns...
Created by the amazing Dixie
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16728
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
15 Jun 43
Sub War
Nothing to report.
5 Fleet
It got real quiet here once the Allied intruders of Adak died off. Three B-17Es came for a visit and two went home.
Attu’s fort level reached 3.
4 Fleet
Nothing to report.
SE Fleet
The bombers went after the Japanese garrisons at Tassafronga and Shortlands. Fine with me. That gives me time to work on repairs at Manas. (0-95-31).
There was some excitement at Gasmata. A US TF of 4 CA, 2 DD and 2 DMS entered the port (I think to bombard) and found a PB sneaking in supply. The PB went down. Then, they ran into a midget sub and sank her. Then they went home. Oh yeah, something hit a mine.
Shortlands damage went up slightly to 0-22-0. I was hoping it would drop to 0 so the fort level would reach 5. (It’s currently at 4.99.)
Another Allied bombardment TF hit Rabaul. (He’s getting gutsy.) They did a lot of airfield damage but didn’t destroy any planes on the ground. Rabaul’s damage is up to 11-71-60.
Ted admitted that there were 5 CVEs supporting the Munda invasion, but they took off when he got a whiff of KB. I believe there are some real carriers hanging around, just in case.
SRA
I’m getting concerned about the number of Allied subs beginning to appear everywhere. My ASW (both surface and air) is pretty much inconsequential, but it’s all I have. I’ve been neglecting my ASW between Palembang and Singapore. I’m beginning to send some spare ASW TFs there. The one nice thing is that I can use those that carry the Type 95 DC. It’s all shallow water so they are effective there. I’m also sending more AS to try and cover as much of that area with multiple air units, with ASW and Naval Search. Hopefully, it’ll cause a hit or two. I should have done this months ago.
Burma
Another sweep of Akyab caused the loss of 5 Tojos (the most at one time in a long time) to a dozen Allied fighters. His fighters included Hurricanes, a couple remaining P-40Ks and Sea Hurricanes (really?).
China
I trashed another odd Chinese Corps near Tsuyung killing 122 squads for no loss.
I’m still moving forces to Chungking. It’ll be awhile.
Other Stuff
Nagato, Mutsu and Agano entered refit at the Home Islands.
Sub War
Nothing to report.
5 Fleet
It got real quiet here once the Allied intruders of Adak died off. Three B-17Es came for a visit and two went home.
Attu’s fort level reached 3.
4 Fleet
Nothing to report.
SE Fleet
The bombers went after the Japanese garrisons at Tassafronga and Shortlands. Fine with me. That gives me time to work on repairs at Manas. (0-95-31).
There was some excitement at Gasmata. A US TF of 4 CA, 2 DD and 2 DMS entered the port (I think to bombard) and found a PB sneaking in supply. The PB went down. Then, they ran into a midget sub and sank her. Then they went home. Oh yeah, something hit a mine.
Shortlands damage went up slightly to 0-22-0. I was hoping it would drop to 0 so the fort level would reach 5. (It’s currently at 4.99.)
Another Allied bombardment TF hit Rabaul. (He’s getting gutsy.) They did a lot of airfield damage but didn’t destroy any planes on the ground. Rabaul’s damage is up to 11-71-60.
Ted admitted that there were 5 CVEs supporting the Munda invasion, but they took off when he got a whiff of KB. I believe there are some real carriers hanging around, just in case.
SRA
I’m getting concerned about the number of Allied subs beginning to appear everywhere. My ASW (both surface and air) is pretty much inconsequential, but it’s all I have. I’ve been neglecting my ASW between Palembang and Singapore. I’m beginning to send some spare ASW TFs there. The one nice thing is that I can use those that carry the Type 95 DC. It’s all shallow water so they are effective there. I’m also sending more AS to try and cover as much of that area with multiple air units, with ASW and Naval Search. Hopefully, it’ll cause a hit or two. I should have done this months ago.
Burma
Another sweep of Akyab caused the loss of 5 Tojos (the most at one time in a long time) to a dozen Allied fighters. His fighters included Hurricanes, a couple remaining P-40Ks and Sea Hurricanes (really?).
China
I trashed another odd Chinese Corps near Tsuyung killing 122 squads for no loss.
I’m still moving forces to Chungking. It’ll be awhile.
Other Stuff
Nagato, Mutsu and Agano entered refit at the Home Islands.
Created by the amazing Dixie
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16728
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
16 June 43
Sub War
The Samidare (Yudachi’s escort) is on ASW duty at Adak until the Yudachi is in good enough shape to make the trek to the Home Islands to get repaired. Today, she found the sub lurking around and damaged her a bit, but not enough to send her home.
The Trusty put a torpedo into the TK Syoyo Maru (8150 capacity) a few hexes NE of Palembang. She’ll survive to make it to Singkep. Damage is currently 14-81(60)-3-0. It’ll take ~100 days to repair all but the major damage. I’ll probably risk it earlier because she’s only 3 hexes from the wonderful port at Singapore.
Just south of Tokyo, the E Iki (love that name!) hit the Permit with a DC. She should have to make the long trek home for repairs.
5 Fleet
Nothing to report! Yay! [:D]
4 Fleet
Nothing to report.
SE Fleet
The 24 US Division made a deliberate attack on the rabble at Shortlands Island. The 1:3 attack against level 4 forts caused 323(19) Japnese to minimal US casualties. It turned out the Japanese losses weren’t that bad. I guess the US troops are still pretty heavily disrupted from the invasion. Raw AV is 92 Japanese to 245 US.
The RO-106 completed temporary repairs, 0-39(39)-0-0 and will move from pierside to readiness so it can leave Rabaul in a few days to head to Truk then the Home Islands for complete repairs.
The Allied bombers went after troops, primarily at Shortlands, allowing my bases to repair a bit:
Rabaul: 11-71-48
Manus: 0-95-12
Shortlands: 0-11-0
Gasmata: 0-0-0
SRA
Burma
Nothing to report.
China
My Tank division hit the former Chengtu garrison 1 hex east of Chengtu pushing them into clear territory and killing another 72 steps.
Other Stuff
Reinforcement: 15 Naval Construction Battalion was rebuilt.
The Ki-100-II Tony R&D advanced to 10/43 (will become operational 7/43).
The Ki-84a Frank R&D advanced to 1/44 (will become operational 8/43).
The D4Y3 Judy R&D advanced to 5/44 (will become operational 11/43).
Sub War
The Samidare (Yudachi’s escort) is on ASW duty at Adak until the Yudachi is in good enough shape to make the trek to the Home Islands to get repaired. Today, she found the sub lurking around and damaged her a bit, but not enough to send her home.
The Trusty put a torpedo into the TK Syoyo Maru (8150 capacity) a few hexes NE of Palembang. She’ll survive to make it to Singkep. Damage is currently 14-81(60)-3-0. It’ll take ~100 days to repair all but the major damage. I’ll probably risk it earlier because she’s only 3 hexes from the wonderful port at Singapore.
Just south of Tokyo, the E Iki (love that name!) hit the Permit with a DC. She should have to make the long trek home for repairs.
5 Fleet
Nothing to report! Yay! [:D]
4 Fleet
Nothing to report.
SE Fleet
The 24 US Division made a deliberate attack on the rabble at Shortlands Island. The 1:3 attack against level 4 forts caused 323(19) Japnese to minimal US casualties. It turned out the Japanese losses weren’t that bad. I guess the US troops are still pretty heavily disrupted from the invasion. Raw AV is 92 Japanese to 245 US.
The RO-106 completed temporary repairs, 0-39(39)-0-0 and will move from pierside to readiness so it can leave Rabaul in a few days to head to Truk then the Home Islands for complete repairs.
The Allied bombers went after troops, primarily at Shortlands, allowing my bases to repair a bit:
Rabaul: 11-71-48
Manus: 0-95-12
Shortlands: 0-11-0
Gasmata: 0-0-0
SRA
Burma
Nothing to report.
China
My Tank division hit the former Chengtu garrison 1 hex east of Chengtu pushing them into clear territory and killing another 72 steps.
Other Stuff
Reinforcement: 15 Naval Construction Battalion was rebuilt.
The Ki-100-II Tony R&D advanced to 10/43 (will become operational 7/43).
The Ki-84a Frank R&D advanced to 1/44 (will become operational 8/43).
The D4Y3 Judy R&D advanced to 5/44 (will become operational 11/43).
Created by the amazing Dixie
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16728
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
17 Jun 43
Sub War
The Drum hit and sank the E Nasami (Natsushima CM class originally) a few hexes east of Etorofu.
South of Kanoya, the DD Akikaze hit the Seadragon with a DC hopefully sending her home.
5 Fleet
4 Fleet
Nothing to report.
SE Fleet
The 24 Division tried another deliberate assault at Shortlands that failed. The 1:17 attack (fort level 4) caused 434(19-actually much lower) Japanese casualties to 89(0) US casualties. They need rest (and so do my troops). I have >15k supply at Shortlands so I’m in good shape here. My troops are slowly repairing their disabled squads.
The Allied bombers went primarily after Shortlands troops allowing my bases to repair:
Rabaul: 11-71-23
Gasmata: 0-0-0
Manus: 0-89-0
Shortlands: 0-2-0
SRA
Burma
China
Nothing to report.
Other Stuff
Reinforcement: SS I-179 – will head to 5 Fleet AO.
The N1K2-J George R&D advanced to 6/44 (will become operational 9/43).
Sub War
The Drum hit and sank the E Nasami (Natsushima CM class originally) a few hexes east of Etorofu.
South of Kanoya, the DD Akikaze hit the Seadragon with a DC hopefully sending her home.
5 Fleet
4 Fleet
Nothing to report.
SE Fleet
The 24 Division tried another deliberate assault at Shortlands that failed. The 1:17 attack (fort level 4) caused 434(19-actually much lower) Japanese casualties to 89(0) US casualties. They need rest (and so do my troops). I have >15k supply at Shortlands so I’m in good shape here. My troops are slowly repairing their disabled squads.
The Allied bombers went primarily after Shortlands troops allowing my bases to repair:
Rabaul: 11-71-23
Gasmata: 0-0-0
Manus: 0-89-0
Shortlands: 0-2-0
SRA
Burma
China
Nothing to report.
Other Stuff
Reinforcement: SS I-179 – will head to 5 Fleet AO.
The N1K2-J George R&D advanced to 6/44 (will become operational 9/43).
Created by the amazing Dixie
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16728
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
18 Jun 43
Very little happened today but it was important:
I had hoped Shortlands Island would repair the remaining 2 points of damage and then build the forts up to level 5, but alas, it was not to be. The bombers targeted that base increasing damage to 14-30-59. So close yet so far!
The US troops bombarded there today doing nothing.
Other Stuff
The following ships let Truk enroute to the Home Islands for refit:
CV Junyo
CV Hiyo
CVL Shoho
CVL Zuiho
CLAA Tenryu
CLAA Tatsuta
DD Asakaze
DD Harukaze
Very little happened today but it was important:
I had hoped Shortlands Island would repair the remaining 2 points of damage and then build the forts up to level 5, but alas, it was not to be. The bombers targeted that base increasing damage to 14-30-59. So close yet so far!
The US troops bombarded there today doing nothing.
Other Stuff
The following ships let Truk enroute to the Home Islands for refit:
CV Junyo
CV Hiyo
CVL Shoho
CVL Zuiho
CLAA Tenryu
CLAA Tatsuta
DD Asakaze
DD Harukaze
Created by the amazing Dixie
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16728
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
19 June 43
Sub War
The Greenling, a couple hexes SE of Balikpapan, torpedoed the TK Hosin Maru (Std-B, 4275 capacity). She was empty and will sink tomorrow.
The Dutch sub KXVII torpedoed a PB. She’ll sink tomorrow too.
5 Fleet
4 Fleet
Nothing to report.
SE Fleet
The Allied bombers went primarily after the troops at Shortlands. The jungle does a nice job of absorbing bombs.
The 24 US Division is still recovering from its landing at Shortlands. My infrastructure there is still beat up (14-30-58) and the fort is still stuck at 4.99.
SRA
Burma
China
Nothing to report.
Other Stuff
Reinforcement: 46 JNAF AF Unit rebuilt after sacrificing all for the Emperor.
Canton Island’s forts reached level 1. Their goal is level 4 (maybe).
Sub War
The Greenling, a couple hexes SE of Balikpapan, torpedoed the TK Hosin Maru (Std-B, 4275 capacity). She was empty and will sink tomorrow.
The Dutch sub KXVII torpedoed a PB. She’ll sink tomorrow too.
5 Fleet
4 Fleet
Nothing to report.
SE Fleet
The Allied bombers went primarily after the troops at Shortlands. The jungle does a nice job of absorbing bombs.
The 24 US Division is still recovering from its landing at Shortlands. My infrastructure there is still beat up (14-30-58) and the fort is still stuck at 4.99.
SRA
Burma
China
Nothing to report.
Other Stuff
Reinforcement: 46 JNAF AF Unit rebuilt after sacrificing all for the Emperor.
Canton Island’s forts reached level 1. Their goal is level 4 (maybe).
Created by the amazing Dixie
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16728
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
20 Jun 43
Sub War
The I-25, who has been patrolling SW of Hawaii for months it seems, finally found a target. She put a torpedo into the big xAK Andrea Luckenbach. No sign of her sinking and I doubt she did. Good morale boost for the troops though. I suspect Tokyo Rose will make this into the demise of the US carrier forces. [:D]
A Dutch sub sank a PB about 4 hexes SE of Singapore. This is the point in the war where PBs are transitioning from escorts to targets. [:(]
As said earlier, a PB and TK torpedoed yesterday both sank today.
5 Fleet
4 Fleet
Nothing to report.
SE Fleet
The 2 Marine Division finally finished crawling from Lunga to Tassafronga and finished off the starving defenders there. They are no longer Allied Air Force targets to build up their ground bombing experience. [8|]
Gasmata (16-18-30), Shortlands Island (14-30-54) and Manus (0-35-0) all repaired some damage. The Allied bombers went after the troops at Shortlands once again (and didn't do much).
An Allied bombardment TF of 5 CA, 7 DD, 1 DC and 2 DM entered Gasmata harbor and came across the PB Kosin Maru #3, on a fast transport supply mission. She was pretty quickly dispatched, but the Allied TF used a lot of ammo on her. After the combat, I heard a mine explosion and learned it was probably the DD Eaton. The bombardment did little damage.
SRA
Burma
Nothing to report.
China
The former Chengu garrison was hit by my tanks once again. They’re still around, but not nearly as many.
Other Stuff
The Ki-43-IIIa R&D advanced to 7/43. The 4x30 R&D factories upgraded to the Ki-43-IV.
Sub War
The I-25, who has been patrolling SW of Hawaii for months it seems, finally found a target. She put a torpedo into the big xAK Andrea Luckenbach. No sign of her sinking and I doubt she did. Good morale boost for the troops though. I suspect Tokyo Rose will make this into the demise of the US carrier forces. [:D]
A Dutch sub sank a PB about 4 hexes SE of Singapore. This is the point in the war where PBs are transitioning from escorts to targets. [:(]
As said earlier, a PB and TK torpedoed yesterday both sank today.
5 Fleet
4 Fleet
Nothing to report.
SE Fleet
The 2 Marine Division finally finished crawling from Lunga to Tassafronga and finished off the starving defenders there. They are no longer Allied Air Force targets to build up their ground bombing experience. [8|]
Gasmata (16-18-30), Shortlands Island (14-30-54) and Manus (0-35-0) all repaired some damage. The Allied bombers went after the troops at Shortlands once again (and didn't do much).
An Allied bombardment TF of 5 CA, 7 DD, 1 DC and 2 DM entered Gasmata harbor and came across the PB Kosin Maru #3, on a fast transport supply mission. She was pretty quickly dispatched, but the Allied TF used a lot of ammo on her. After the combat, I heard a mine explosion and learned it was probably the DD Eaton. The bombardment did little damage.
SRA
Burma
Nothing to report.
China
The former Chengu garrison was hit by my tanks once again. They’re still around, but not nearly as many.
Other Stuff
The Ki-43-IIIa R&D advanced to 7/43. The 4x30 R&D factories upgraded to the Ki-43-IV.
Created by the amazing Dixie
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16728
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
21 Jun 43
Sub War
Things looked a little better here for a change.
The E Etorofu, on an ASW mission south of Tokyo was sunk by the Albacore, who got clean away.
Then, an Ansyu PB on a fast transport supply mission to Adak, caught the S-42 at Adak and hit her with a DC. Nice!
Finally, in the deep water hex SE of Soerabaja, the SC Ch-23 hit the Haddock twice with DCs. That had to hurt!
5 Fleet
4 Fleet
Nothing to report.
SE Fleet
Kavieng was hit by US bombers, 98x 4E and 37x 2E (I counted them this time). The airfield is trashed. No problem. Only 1 night fighter was there and unharmed. Better that base than one of the important ones.
Two DMS entered Gasmata harbor, presumably to sweep mines as a precursor to an invasion. They found my midget sub, Ha-25. She put a torpedo into the DMS Lamberton sinking her! I was unable to reload the torpedo tubes, so I disbanded the sub. No reason to lose her for no reason.
There still is a US carrier TF floating around south of Gasmata. I’m sending some Tojo IIcs to LRCAP them to try and whittle down some of the fighters. We’ll see how well that works out tomorrow. The carriers aren’t doing anything. I suspect the bombers are on naval attack missions, just in case.
I sent a CA surface fleet on a quick raid to Madang. There is a group of small ships (~4) just hanging out there. It'll get there in a day or 2. Gotta keep Ted on his toes. Death by 1000 cuts.
SRA
Burma
Nothing to report.
China
Another errant Chinese Corps was trashed. Like shooting fish in a barrel, at least until I enter Chungking.
Other Stuff
The A6M5c R&D advanced to 8/43 (will become operational in 7/43).
Sub War
Things looked a little better here for a change.
The E Etorofu, on an ASW mission south of Tokyo was sunk by the Albacore, who got clean away.
Then, an Ansyu PB on a fast transport supply mission to Adak, caught the S-42 at Adak and hit her with a DC. Nice!
Finally, in the deep water hex SE of Soerabaja, the SC Ch-23 hit the Haddock twice with DCs. That had to hurt!
5 Fleet
4 Fleet
Nothing to report.
SE Fleet
Kavieng was hit by US bombers, 98x 4E and 37x 2E (I counted them this time). The airfield is trashed. No problem. Only 1 night fighter was there and unharmed. Better that base than one of the important ones.
Two DMS entered Gasmata harbor, presumably to sweep mines as a precursor to an invasion. They found my midget sub, Ha-25. She put a torpedo into the DMS Lamberton sinking her! I was unable to reload the torpedo tubes, so I disbanded the sub. No reason to lose her for no reason.
There still is a US carrier TF floating around south of Gasmata. I’m sending some Tojo IIcs to LRCAP them to try and whittle down some of the fighters. We’ll see how well that works out tomorrow. The carriers aren’t doing anything. I suspect the bombers are on naval attack missions, just in case.
I sent a CA surface fleet on a quick raid to Madang. There is a group of small ships (~4) just hanging out there. It'll get there in a day or 2. Gotta keep Ted on his toes. Death by 1000 cuts.
SRA
Burma
Nothing to report.
China
Another errant Chinese Corps was trashed. Like shooting fish in a barrel, at least until I enter Chungking.
Other Stuff
The A6M5c R&D advanced to 8/43 (will become operational in 7/43).
Created by the amazing Dixie
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16728
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
Yeah, they were a bunch of pretty quick, boring turns. The one I just finished was a little more exciting. Ted emailed me after he ran in and said his GF knew he was running a turn from all the swearing. [:D]
22 Jun 43
Sub War
Very good day today.
First, the E Nadakaze finally caught up with the Dutch sub KXVII and hit her with a DC. She was reported to have sunk but I'm not sure. I do know a ship worth 8 VP did sink. Maybe not her though.
The Sargo was caught by 3 DDs just NE of Truk and driven to the surface, drilled full of multi-sized holes and she slipped beneath the waves. I had that happen to one of mine and she didn't sink. The Sargo was not reported to have sunk. Is she worth 8 VPs? Gotta check that out to see.
5 Fleet
4 Fleet
Nothing to report.
SE Fleet
Remember when I said I was going to LRCAP that carrier TF a few hexes south of Rabaul? Well, I don't think those fighters participated in the brawl that happened (but I'm not sure). Anyway, the first thing that happened was that carrier group launching 68 SBDs and 53 Avengers escorted by 51 Hellcats to go after Rabaul's airfield. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Before I finished the turn, I moved some Betties down to Rabaul and set them to naval attack at 5 hexes (the carriers were 4 hexes south) and set all the fighters there to 30% CAP and 20% rest. We'll get back to them in a bit. The Allied attack was countered by just 39 Japanese fighters. Still, they lost none and in the end, 4 Hellcats, 6 SBDs and 3 Avengers were shot down, along with a handful of op losses. The damage to the airfield was minor and one Betty was destroyed on the ground.
Then, 14 Betties escorted by about 80 Japanese fighters (many didn't actually get into the combat) went after the carriers. Turns out the Enterprise, Lexington and Yorktown were there. My fighters held off the 52 Hellcats losing 9 of their number to 1 Hellcat. The Betties bore in getting a torpedo hit on Enterprise (good bit of damage but no real chance of sinking according to Ted) for 2 flak losses but another 6 were shot down on the way home.
Finally, 4 more Betties escorted by 9 Georges went after a DD TF (ASW I think) losing all but one George to the 30 Hellcats that showed up to that party. Five Hellcats were shot down there.
On the ground, Ted did a deliberate assault against the Shortlands defenders. The 1:4 attack against the level 4 forts failed miserably (again).
Manus was the target of the Allied Air Force today (>100 sorties).
Here's the damage of the airfields in the area:
Manus: 0-70-98
Kavieng: 0-88-96
Gasmata: 16-18-8
Rabaul: 0-19-0
SRA
Burma
Nothing to report.
China
Another renegade Chinese unit was trashed. I have 3 of my 4 available armies adjacent to or near Chungking. I'm also in the process of surrounding all except the hex just to the NW of Chungking for the defenders to retreat to if I get lucky.
Other Stuff
Reinforcement: xAK Tokuhei Maru, Std-B, will convert to a TK.
22 Jun 43
Sub War
Very good day today.
First, the E Nadakaze finally caught up with the Dutch sub KXVII and hit her with a DC. She was reported to have sunk but I'm not sure. I do know a ship worth 8 VP did sink. Maybe not her though.
The Sargo was caught by 3 DDs just NE of Truk and driven to the surface, drilled full of multi-sized holes and she slipped beneath the waves. I had that happen to one of mine and she didn't sink. The Sargo was not reported to have sunk. Is she worth 8 VPs? Gotta check that out to see.
5 Fleet
4 Fleet
Nothing to report.
SE Fleet
Remember when I said I was going to LRCAP that carrier TF a few hexes south of Rabaul? Well, I don't think those fighters participated in the brawl that happened (but I'm not sure). Anyway, the first thing that happened was that carrier group launching 68 SBDs and 53 Avengers escorted by 51 Hellcats to go after Rabaul's airfield. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Before I finished the turn, I moved some Betties down to Rabaul and set them to naval attack at 5 hexes (the carriers were 4 hexes south) and set all the fighters there to 30% CAP and 20% rest. We'll get back to them in a bit. The Allied attack was countered by just 39 Japanese fighters. Still, they lost none and in the end, 4 Hellcats, 6 SBDs and 3 Avengers were shot down, along with a handful of op losses. The damage to the airfield was minor and one Betty was destroyed on the ground.
Then, 14 Betties escorted by about 80 Japanese fighters (many didn't actually get into the combat) went after the carriers. Turns out the Enterprise, Lexington and Yorktown were there. My fighters held off the 52 Hellcats losing 9 of their number to 1 Hellcat. The Betties bore in getting a torpedo hit on Enterprise (good bit of damage but no real chance of sinking according to Ted) for 2 flak losses but another 6 were shot down on the way home.
Finally, 4 more Betties escorted by 9 Georges went after a DD TF (ASW I think) losing all but one George to the 30 Hellcats that showed up to that party. Five Hellcats were shot down there.
On the ground, Ted did a deliberate assault against the Shortlands defenders. The 1:4 attack against the level 4 forts failed miserably (again).
Manus was the target of the Allied Air Force today (>100 sorties).
Here's the damage of the airfields in the area:
Manus: 0-70-98
Kavieng: 0-88-96
Gasmata: 16-18-8
Rabaul: 0-19-0
SRA
Burma
Nothing to report.
China
Another renegade Chinese unit was trashed. I have 3 of my 4 available armies adjacent to or near Chungking. I'm also in the process of surrounding all except the hex just to the NW of Chungking for the defenders to retreat to if I get lucky.
Other Stuff
Reinforcement: xAK Tokuhei Maru, Std-B, will convert to a TK.
Created by the amazing Dixie
- ny59giants
- Posts: 9902
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:02 pm
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)
I might disband an AV in a base between Sing and Palem to allow FPs to NavS to increase DL on his subs. Maybe a few doing night NavS to keep DL up.
Keep an eye on moonlight. If feasible you can try to intercept one of his BB TFs in Solomon’s with low moonlight and a full speed run in.
Keep an eye on moonlight. If feasible you can try to intercept one of his BB TFs in Solomon’s with low moonlight and a full speed run in.
[center]
[/center]
[/center]




