Shattered Vow

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
Canoerebel
Posts: 21099
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:21 pm
Location: Northwestern Georgia, USA
Contact:

RE: Halt the Spanking Already!

Post by Canoerebel »

Thanks for the encouragement and helpful pointers and observations, Bullwinkle.  To answer a couple of your questions:
 
1.  I'm keeping subs out of NoPac because I don't want to appear there all of a sudden, thus arousing Miller's curiosity.  The Allies are heading that way in six weeks if things go according to plan.
 
2.  Right now Miller has about 17.5k points and I have 9k.  I think I'm in excellent shape in that regard.  I'm not worried about victory points.
 
3.  My concern about China is that once it falls, or once it becomes irrelevantly weak, Miller can divert troops elsewhere making the Allied advance very, very hard.  Or he could go off on a tangent and attack India or Russia.  But it's the idea of him loading up key islands with his China troops that really worries me.
 
4.  The Pacific is in great shape.  Huge stockpiles of supplies everywhere.  Fuel is a concern, but I'm dealing with it.  My MLR is in excellent condition and far ahead of where I was in my last game (WitP with John III).  I'm satisfied with everything except China.  Not that I don't regret making mistakes and losing battles, it's just that strategically the Allies are in very good shape (except for, once again, China).
 
5.  When Miller lost the Java carrier battle, and then lost 25% of his APs, it set him back and put him on his heels.  I'm trying to take advantage of the temporary weakness of the KB.  In doing so I've made two memorable blunders.  I'm not giving up, but I am trying to play smarter.
 
6.  If I come out on the losing end of a carrier battle in the New Hebrides, please send a mental health professional my way.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
User avatar
Canoerebel
Posts: 21099
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:21 pm
Location: Northwestern Georgia, USA
Contact:

A disturbance in the ether...

Post by Canoerebel »

Just received this email from Miller:  "Loads of action that turn, just finished watching the replay........will try to get the next one back to you in an hour or so."
 
This doesn't sound good to me.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
User avatar
Canoerebel
Posts: 21099
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:21 pm
Location: Northwestern Georgia, USA
Contact:

Utter Carnage

Post by Canoerebel »

A tremendous carrier battle took place (the Battle of the New Hebrides) with the Allied ships acting in strange and awkward manners that turned what might have been victory into a stinging defeat.
 
1.  My bombardment TF hit Luganville to make sure the airfield was out of commission; this went well, but the ships stayed there.  I SWEAR I gave this TF orders to retire to Noumea, but apparently not.  I wasn't off to a good start.
 
2.  Then the American carriers REACTED (this WAS against orders and much bad came of it) towards the Japanese carriers.  This separated the American CVs from the RN CVs, meant that the RN torpedo bombers didn't join the huge American strike (a DISASTER for the Allies), separated the American CVs from some LRCAP from Efate, and, if all that wasn't enough, separated the American carriers from the huge amphibious armada.
 
3.  Two days turns magnified the damage caused by the react.  For after the titanic carrier battle on the 3rd, the Japanese strike aircraft lit into the amphibious armada on the 4th and sank dozens of ships.
 
4.  I'll post the actual combat reports later, but the Allies are really hurting.  Two CVs (Saratagoa and Enterprise) went under and Lexington may not make it back to Noumea.  Quite a few BBs and CAs were badly hit and at least one CA went under.  The Japanese lost CV Junyo and CVL Shoho and quite a few BBs and CAs were damaged, but my strike aircraft really wasted firepower there.
 
5.  The first Japanese strike was absolutely massive.  Allied CAP was meager.  Don't know why - settings were 40% CAP.  I should've had some LRCAP from Efate, to, but the dadgum react....
 
6.  The first American strike was massive, faced relatively nominal CAP (50 Zeros), and nearly all strike aircraft went in...and focused mainly on BBs!  Since most of the strike aircraft went in the results could've been much better had the British torpedo aircraft accompanied them.  Instead they went in separately in small numbers, got chewed up, and didn't do a thing.
 
7.  The Japanese are left with a viable carrier force; the Allies don't have one.  The Allies have a crippled amphibous fleet two hexes from Luganville.  I'm sure Miller will move his carriers south to try to hit my carriers again.  This will put them in the midst of my transports no matter which way I go.  Miller may also send combat ships to Luganville to stop an invasion.  I don't see any use in retiring the transports since they are dead ducks, so I'm proceeding with the invasion.  To try to offer some protection I have some combat ships (lots of CAs and DDs) heading for Luganville.  But I think this is a "forlorn hope."  The amphibious ships will probably get eaten alive by both combat ships and carrier aircraft.
 
8.  The two-day nature of our game is really dramatic when a big battle takes place on the first day, since a player can't address the situation until another day passes.  I knew this, of course, but this battle really drove it home.
 
9.  This is a cataclysmic shift in the game.  I'm neutered now.  Miller probably isn't any threat to the Allied MLR - Noumea, Suva, Pago Pago, and the Line Islands are in good shape.  But this means the Allies aren't going anywhere for a long, long time.
 
10.  This, combined with the complete fiasco that is China, has me scratching my head wondering where this game is headed.
 
11.  I love this game!  Great depth and rich in detail, massive amounts of pressure and stress and euphoria and despair when playing PBEM.
 
12.  The carrier battle and my other problems in the Pacific and Indian Oceans are of my own doing. 
 
13.  China is broken in the game and needs to be fixed. 
 
As noted, I'll post pertinent portions of the combat reports shortly.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
User avatar
Canoerebel
Posts: 21099
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:21 pm
Location: Northwestern Georgia, USA
Contact:

Combat Reports Don't Lie....

Post by Canoerebel »

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Jul 03, 42
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Submarine attack near Ambrym  at 121,151
 
Japanese Ships
      SS I-175
 
Allied Ships
      AP American Legion, Torpedo hits 1,  on fire,  heavy damage [Off to a bad start as an amphibious ship is damaged]
 
Allied ground losses:
      9 casualties reported
         Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
         Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
         Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled 
 
AP American Legion is sighted by SS I-175...
SS I-175 launches 2 torpedoes at AP American Legion...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naval bombardment of Luganville at 120,150
 
Allied Ships
      BB Prince of Wales
      BB North Carolina
      CA Canberra
      CA Vincennes
      CA Salt Lake City
      CA Chicago
      CA Houston
      CL Dauntless
 
Japanese ground losses:
      151 casualties reported
         Squads: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
         Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 10 disabled
         Engineers: 1 destroyed, 1 disabled
      Guns lost 4 (1 destroyed, 3 disabled)
 
Airbase hits 1
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 41
Port hits 16
Port supply hits 1
 
[Okay, but then my ships don't retire!  I thought I set them, but either didn't or instead clicked once too often]
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on TF, near Aoba Island at 122,150
 
Weather in hex: Light cloud
 
Raid detected at 42 NM, estimated altitude 21,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 13 minutes
 
Japanese aircraft
      A6M2 Zero x 19
 
 
Allied aircraft
      Martlet II x 10
      P-40E Warhawk x 3
      F4F-3 Wildcat x 11
      F4F-4 Wildcat x 42
  
Japanese aircraft losses
      A6M2 Zero: 4 destroyed
 
Allied aircraft losses
      F4F-4 Wildcat: 1 destroyed
 
[At this point things are working rights - Brits and American CAP and LRCAP from Efate] 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on TF, near Aoba Island at 122,150
 
Weather in hex: Light cloud
 
Raid detected at 26 NM, estimated altitude 26,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 8 minutes
 
Japanese aircraft
      A6M2 Zero x 20
 
Allied aircraft
      Martlet II x 8
      P-40E Warhawk x 1
      F4F-3 Wildcat x 7
      F4F-4 Wildcat x 36
 
Japanese aircraft losses
      A6M2 Zero: 4 destroyed
 
Allied aircraft losses
      Martlet II: 1 destroyed
      F4F-3 Wildcat: 1 destroyed
      F4F-4 Wildcat: 2 destroyed 
 

 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on TF, near Aoba Island at 122,150
 
Weather in hex: Light cloud
 
Raid detected at 160 NM, estimated altitude 19,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 60 minutes
 
Japanese aircraft
      A6M2 Zero x 73
      B5N2 Kate x 142
      D3A1 Val x 125 
 
Allied aircraft
      Martlet II x 3
      F4F-3 Wildcat x 1
      F4F-4 Wildcat x 18
 
Japanese aircraft losses
      A6M2 Zero: 3 destroyed
      B5N2 Kate: 4 destroyed, 28 damaged
      D3A1 Val: 1 destroyed, 35 damaged
 
Allied aircraft losses
      Martlet II: 1 destroyed
 
Allied Ships
      BB New Mexico, Bomb hits 5, Torpedo hits 4,  on fire,  heavy damage
      CA Louisville, Bomb hits 3, Torpedo hits 3,  heavy fires,  heavy damage
      CL Achilles, Bomb hits 3, Torpedo hits 1,  on fire,  heavy damage
      CV Yorktown, Bomb hits 6, Torpedo hits 2,  heavy fires,  heavy damage
      CA Australia, Bomb hits 2, Torpedo hits 4, and is sunk
      DD Russell, Bomb hits 1,  on fire
      CV Enterprise, Bomb hits 3, Torpedo hits 1,  heavy fires
      DD Drayton
      CL Hobart, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
      DD Mahan, Torpedo hits 1,  on fire,  heavy damage
      DD Laffey
      DD Shaw
      DD O'Brien, Bomb hits 1,  on fire
      CL Mauritius, Torpedo hits 5, and is sunk
      DD Cassin
      DD Cushing
      DD Smith
      DD Downes
 
[American carriers have reacted and the CAP is meager.  Where'd the 40+ Wildcats go?]
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on TF, near Vanikoro at 123,147
 
Weather in hex: Light rain
 
Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 21,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 15 minutes
 
Japanese aircraft
      A6M2 Zero x 75 
 
Allied aircraft
      F4F-3 Wildcat x 16
      F4F-4 Wildcat x 62
      SBD-3 Dauntless x 154
      TBD-1 Devastator x 45
      TBF-1 Avenger x 24 
 
Japanese aircraft losses
      A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed
 
Allied aircraft losses
      F4F-3 Wildcat: 1 destroyed
      F4F-4 Wildcat: 7 destroyed
      SBD-3 Dauntless: 11 destroyed, 22 damaged
      TBD-1 Devastator: 5 destroyed, 9 damaged
      TBF-1 Avenger: 3 destroyed, 13 damaged
 
Japanese Ships
      BB Fuso, Bomb hits 4,  heavy fires
      BB Ise, Bomb hits 2,  on fire
      CV Junyo, Bomb hits 2,  heavy fires
      CA Aoba
      BB Haruna, Bomb hits 3
      BB Hiei
      CL Kinu
      CV Shokaku, Bomb hits 1
      CV Zuikaku
      BB Kongo, Torpedo hits 1
      CVL Shoho, Bomb hits 2,  on fire
      BB Yamashiro, Bomb hits 4,  on fire
      DD Oboro
      CA Furutaka
      DD Asagiri
      BB Kirishima, Bomb hits 2
      CV Hiyo, Bomb hits 1
      CA Kako, Bomb hits 1,  on fire
      DD Uranami, Bomb hits 1,  on fire
      CL Isuzu
      CA Suzuya
      CA Kumano, Torpedo hits 1
      DD Amagiri 
 
[Great escort numbers manage to shoot down a single Zero!  Huh?  This is similar to the 70:5 losses I took last week.  What's wrong with Allied escorts?]
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on TF, near Vanikoro at 123,147
 
Weather in hex: Light rain
 
Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 23 minutes
 
Japanese aircraft
      A6M2 Zero x 40
 
Allied aircraft
      Albacore I x 17
      Martlet II x 5
 
No Japanese losses
 
Allied aircraft losses
      Albacore I: 9 destroyed, 2 damaged
      Martlet II: 1 destroyed
 
Japanese Ships
      BB Kongo 
 
[RN strike comes in separately....]
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on TF, near Vanikoro at 123,147
 
Weather in hex: Light rain
 
Raid detected at 10 NM, estimated altitude 6,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes
 
Japanese aircraft
      A6M2 Zero x 31
 
 
Allied aircraft
      Albacore I x 5
 
No Japanese losses
 
Allied aircraft losses
      Albacore I: 3 destroyed 
 
[Same here]
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Vanikoro at 123,147
 
Weather in hex: Thunderstorms
 
Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 21 minutes
 
Japanese aircraft
      A6M2 Zero x 52 
 
Allied aircraft
      Albacore I x 2
      Martlet II x 6
      TBD-1 Devastator x 3
 
No Japanese losses
 
Allied aircraft losses
      Albacore I: 1 destroyed
      Martlet II: 2 destroyed
      TBD-1 Devastator: 2 destroyed  
 
[...and here...]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Aoba Island at 122,150
 
Weather in hex: Thunderstorms
 
Raid detected at 160 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 60 minutes
 
Japanese aircraft
      A6M2 Zero x 49
      B5N2 Kate x 57
      D3A1 Val x 100
 
Allied aircraft
      P-40E Warhawk x 2
      F4F-4 Wildcat x 19
 
Japanese aircraft losses
      A6M2 Zero: 2 destroyed
      B5N2 Kate: 10 destroyed, 15 damaged
      D3A1 Val: 7 destroyed, 38 damaged
 
Allied aircraft losses
      F4F-4 Wildcat: 1 destroyed
 
Allied Ships
      CV Lexington, Bomb hits 5,  heavy fires,  heavy damage
      CLAA Atlanta, Torpedo hits 1,  on fire
      CV Saratoga, Bomb hits 6,  on fire
      CA Portland
      DD Mustin
      DD Anderson
      CA Pensacola, Torpedo hits 1
      DD Woodworth
      DD Hughes 
 
[Afternoon strike] 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Vanikoro at 123,147
 
Weather in hex: Thunderstorms
 
Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 15 minutes
 
Japanese aircraft
      A6M2 Zero x 52
 
Allied aircraft
      F4F-4 Wildcat x 25
      SBD-3 Dauntless x 76
      TBD-1 Devastator x 18
      TBF-1 Avenger x 8
 
Japanese aircraft losses
      A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed
 
Allied aircraft losses
      F4F-4 Wildcat: 8 destroyed
      SBD-3 Dauntless: 2 destroyed, 8 damaged
      TBD-1 Devastator: 3 destroyed, 7 damaged
      TBF-1 Avenger: 3 damaged
 
Japanese Ships
      CV Hiyo, Bomb hits 1,  on fire
      BB Yamashiro, Bomb hits 3, Torpedo hits 1,  on fire
      CV Junyo, Bomb hits 2,  heavy fires,  heavy damage
      CVL Shoho, Bomb hits 2,  heavy fires,  heavy damage
      BB Ise, Bomb hits 2,  on fire
      BB Fuso, Bomb hits 3,  on fire
      CA Kako
      DD Ayanami
      CA Furutaka, Bomb hits 2,  on fire
      DD Asagiri
      CA Aoba, Bomb hits 1
      CA Kinugasa, Bomb hits 1,  on fire
 
[Rather ineffective since the carriers targeted had already been hit hard; wish these had gone after some of the others]
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Jul 04, 42 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on TF, near Pentecost Island at 120,151
 
Weather in hex: Thunderstorms
 
Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 31 minutes
 
Japanese aircraft
      A6M2 Zero x 38
      G3M2 Nell x 18  
 
Allied aircraft
      F4F-3 Wildcat x 4
      F4F-4 Wildcat x 2 
 
Japanese aircraft losses
      A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed
      G3M2 Nell: 5 damaged
 
Allied aircraft losses
      F4F-4 Wildcat: 1 destroyed
 
Allied Ships
      CV Enterprise, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
      BB New Mexico, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
 
[these two ships sailed due west and were off by themselves] 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Morning Air attack on TF, near Ambrym at 121,151
 
Weather in hex: Light rain
 
Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 15 minutes
 
Japanese aircraft
      G3M2 Nell x 14 
 
Allied aircraft
      F4F-4 Wildcat x 1 
 
Japanese aircraft losses
      G3M2 Nell: 2 destroyed 
 
Allied Ships
      xAP Lycaon, Torpedo hits 1
      xAK Californian, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
      xAP Wahine

Allied ground losses:
      24 casualties reported
         Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
         Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 1 disabled
         Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled 
 
[Jap LBA from Lunga starts the dreadful day for Allied amphibious ships] 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on TF, near Pentecost Island at 120,151
 
Weather in hex: Thunderstorms
 
Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 15 minutes
 
Japanese aircraft
      G3M2 Nell x 15 

Allied aircraft
      Martlet II x 4
      F4F-3 Wildcat x 2
      F4F-4 Wildcat x 5 
 
Japanese aircraft losses
      G3M2 Nell: 6 destroyed, 1 damaged 
 
Allied Ships
      DD Shaw
      DD Drayton  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on TF, near Ambrym at 121,151
 
Weather in hex: Light rain
 
Raid detected at 120 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 45 minutes
 
Japanese aircraft
      A6M2 Zero x 28
      B5N2 Kate x 49
      D3A1 Val x 58 
 
Allied aircraft
      F4F-4 Wildcat x 1 
 
Japanese aircraft losses
      B5N2 Kate: 3 damaged
      D3A1 Val: 10 damaged
 
Allied aircraft losses
      F4F-4 Wildcat: 1 destroyed
 
Allied Ships
      CL Trenton, Bomb hits 1
      xAK Makiki, Bomb hits 2,  heavy fires,  heavy damage
      xAK Mahukona, Bomb hits 1,  on fire
      AP Henderson, Bomb hits 4,  heavy fires,  heavy damage
      xAP Poelau Laut, Bomb hits 5,  heavy fires
      xAP Morinda, Bomb hits 3,  heavy fires,  heavy damage
      xAK Comliebank, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
      xAK Aspasia Nomikos, Bomb hits 4,  heavy fires,  heavy damage
      xAK Henry S Grove, Bomb hits 5,  heavy fires,  heavy damage
      DD Bulmer
      AP Crescent City
      AP President Polk, Bomb hits 4,  heavy fires,  heavy damage
      xAK Lewis Luckenbach, Bomb hits 3
      xAK Momba, Bomb hits 4,  heavy fires,  heavy damage
      xAP Idomeneus, Bomb hits 3,  heavy fires
      xAK Ewa, Bomb hits 2,  on fire
      CL Perth
      AP Zeilin, Bomb hits 2,  on fire
      xAK Meigs, Torpedo hits 4, and is sunk
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Luganville at 120,150
 
Weather in hex: Heavy cloud
 
Raid detected at 120 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 47 minutes
 
Japanese aircraft
      A6M2 Zero x 25
      G3M2 Nell x 18 
 
Japanese aircraft losses
      G3M2 Nell: 3 destroyed, 8 damaged
 
Allied Ships
      BB Prince of Wales
      CA Vincennes
      BB North Carolina, Torpedo hits 1
 
[This unprotected bombardment TF escapes the two days with just this one hit and it does fairly light damage]
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Pentecost Island at 120,151
 
Weather in hex: Heavy cloud
 
Raid detected at 120 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 47 minutes
 
Japanese aircraft
      A6M2 Zero x 17
      G3M2 Nell x 18
 
Allied aircraft
      F4F-3 Wildcat x 1
      F4F-4 Wildcat x 5
 
Japanese aircraft losses
      A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed
      G3M2 Nell: 1 destroyed, 6 damaged
 
Allied Ships
      CL Achilles, Torpedo hits 1,  heavy damage
      DD Shaw
      DD Drayton 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Ambrym at 121,151
 
Weather in hex: Heavy cloud
 
Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 15 minutes
 
Japanese aircraft
      A6M2 Zero x 9
      G3M2 Nell x 10
 
Allied aircraft
      F4F-3 Wildcat x 3 
 
Japanese aircraft losses
      G3M2 Nell: 1 damaged
 
Allied aircraft losses
      F4F-3 Wildcat: 1 destroyed
 
Allied Ships
      xAK Mormacsul
      AP George F. Elliot
      AP Fuller, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
 
 
Allied ground losses:
      107 casualties reported
         Squads: 1 destroyed, 6 disabled
         Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 4 disabled
         Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
      Guns lost 3 (1 destroyed, 2 disabled)
      Vehicles lost 1 (0 destroyed, 1 disabled)
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Ambrym at 121,151
 
Weather in hex: Heavy cloud
 
Raid detected at 120 NM, estimated altitude 21,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 45 minutes
 
Japanese aircraft
      A6M2 Zero x 30
      B5N2 Kate x 36
      D3A1 Val x 44
 
Japanese aircraft losses
      B5N2 Kate: 4 damaged
      D3A1 Val: 7 damaged
 
Allied Ships
      AP Crescent City, Bomb hits 3,  on fire
      xAK Steel Age, Bomb hits 7,  heavy fires,  heavy damage
      AP President Polk, Bomb hits 6,  heavy fires,  heavy damage
      xAP Raranga
      xAK Lewis Luckenbach, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
      xAP Santa Inez, Bomb hits 2,  heavy fires,  heavy damage
      xAK Canadian, Bomb hits 3,  heavy fires
      xAP Rangatira, Bomb hits 1,  on fire
      xAK Makiki, Bomb hits 2, and is sunk
      xAP Kota Inten, Torpedo hits 4, and is sunk
      xAK Ensley City, Bomb hits 4,  heavy fires,  heavy damage
      xAK Salamaua, Bomb hits 4,  heavy fires,  heavy damage
      xAK Lihue, Bomb hits 3,  heavy fires,  heavy damage
      xAK Mahukona,  heavy fires
      xAK Dardanus, Bomb hits 1,  on fire
      xAK Steel Exporter, Bomb hits 1
      xAP Maui, Bomb hits 1,  on fire 
 
Allied ground losses:
      1857 casualties reported
         Squads: 5 destroyed, 103 disabled
         Non Combat: 21 destroyed, 149 disabled
         Engineers: 2 destroyed, 22 disabled
      Guns lost 21 (4 destroyed, 17 disabled)
      Vehicles lost 31 (6 destroyed, 25 disabled)
 
[Nauseating, sickening, dreadful...]
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Luganville at 120,150
 
Weather in hex: Heavy cloud
 
Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 34 minutes
 
Japanese aircraft
      A6M2 Zero x 10
      B5N2 Kate x 1
 
No Japanese losses
 
Allied Ships
      DMS Lamberton 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Pentecost Island at 120,151
 
Weather in hex: Heavy cloud
 
Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 19,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 30 minutes
 
Japanese aircraft
      A6M2 Zero x 6
      D3A1 Val x 22 
 
Allied aircraft
      F4F-3 Wildcat x 1
      F4F-4 Wildcat x 3 
 
Japanese aircraft losses
      A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed
      D3A1 Val: 4 damaged
  
Allied Ships
      DD Porter, Bomb hits 2,  heavy fires
      DD Downes, Bomb hits 4,  heavy fires,  heavy damage
  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASW attack near Luganville  at 120,150
 
Japanese Ships
      SS I-168, hits 3
 
Allied Ships
      DMS Long 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Pentecost Island  at 120,151
 
Japanese Ships
      SS RO-64, hits 1
 
Allied Ships
      DD Shaw, Torpedo hits 1,  heavy damage
      DD Drayton
 
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
User avatar
treespider
Posts: 5781
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:34 am
Location: Edgewater, MD

RE: Combat Reports Don't Lie....

Post by treespider »

Can you post a screen shot of China please?
Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910
User avatar
Canoerebel
Posts: 21099
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:21 pm
Location: Northwestern Georgia, USA
Contact:

RE: Combat Reports Don't Lie....

Post by Canoerebel »

Treespider, I will shortly.
 
Miller just sent me the replay for the turn of July 5 and 6 with a note:  "This turn will make you feel better."
 
Major developments:
 
1.  Amidst all the bad decisions I made, the decision to send the transports to Luganville was the right one.  Miller didn't send in combat ships, a fair number of troops got ashore, and Nells hammered another dozen transports.  There are two Naval Guard units here.  I don't know whether I have the firepower to take them.  I haven't gotten the "next turn" file from Miller yet, so I don't know what kind of shape my guys are in, but it can't be good.
 
2.  Miller did send his good carriers south and then ended up near Efate.  Waves of Japanese carrier aircraft sortied north and south, both against Luganville and ships near Noumea.  Allied carrier and land-based CAP destroyed the waves that came toward Noumea.  CAP over Efate claimed some aircraft. 
 
3.  I have a ton of carrier aircraft that diverted to Efate; the base is WAY overloaded.  But I left 'em there hoping I might get lucky.  I didn't.
 
4.  I think Miller may have gutted his carrier pilots.  I think he lost nearly 100 aircraft on days one and two, maybe more days three and four.  That would be a small bright spot in a bleak landscape.
 
5.  CV Lexington succumbed to her wounds.  That means I've lost three fleet carriers while Miller lost just Junyo and a CVL (with several other carriers taking light damage).
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
User avatar
Bullwinkle58
Posts: 11297
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:47 pm

RE: Combat Reports Don't Lie....

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: treespider

Can you post a screen shot of China please?

I don't see a smiley, but this is the funniest thing I've read today . . .
The Moose
User avatar
Bullwinkle58
Posts: 11297
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:47 pm

RE: Combat Reports Don't Lie....

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

4.  I think Miller may have gutted his carrier pilots.  I think he lost nearly 100 aircraft on days one and two, maybe more days three and four.  That would be a small bright spot in a bleak landscape.

In the long run this is pretty important.

I imagine you don't want to dwell on this turn right now, but what I learned was to sacrifice the bombardment group (bombarment is way toned down in AE) and put the BBs in the air TF as bomb magnets. He had seven. Fuso may not make it; fire is pretty powerful in AE. But in my one encounter between carrier air and IJN BBs all I saw was 1000 pounders bouncing hither and yon. Not one penetration in about 15 hits. CAs will penetrate. Early war bombs on BBs just piss them off.

Oh, and if I ever DO play a PBEM, nix on the 2-day turns.
The Moose
User avatar
Canoerebel
Posts: 21099
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:21 pm
Location: Northwestern Georgia, USA
Contact:

RE: Combat Reports Don't Lie....

Post by Canoerebel »

Assuming FOW isn't off too far, the board said that Miller lost 100 aircraft on the first two days and 185 the second two.  Some of these were LBA and a few came in distant areas due to ops, but most are carrier pilots.  Miller says he thinks he lost more than half of his elite pilots.  That helps, because it'll keep him from getting too frisky for awhile until he can train up replacements.
 
I have about 200 AV ashore at Luganville - about 120 Marine AV well supplied and in decent shape (70 AV 100% prepped and 50 AV 60+% prepped) plus about 70 AV Kiwi brigade prepping for a different locale (but diverted here to save it).  These are facing two Naval Guard units.  I'm going to try a shock attack and hope for the best.
 
I'm counting on Miller deciding to withdraw his carriers given their high losses.  After four days of repeated strikes, they ought to be fatigued and low on mission sorties too.  I am sending a big, fast group of DDs to Luganville - I think they'll make it in one quick leap - to act as a buffer just in case Miller tries to send in a fast transport convoy or sends in his own combat ships.
 
This will be followed by a fast, but not quite fast enough to get there in one phase, CA/CL/DD group that should be in position to bombard Noumea tomorrow.  These ships are at risk mainly to LBA, but I want to do everything I can to help out the troops on the ground.
 
When I gather my wits I'll make a detailed post about what's going on elsewhere.  I'll also post a map of China, for what it's worth.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: Halt the Spanking Already!

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
6.  If I come out on the losing end of a carrier battle in the New Hebrides, please send a mental health professional my way.
How're ya holding out, reb?
Image
User avatar
Canoerebel
Posts: 21099
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:21 pm
Location: Northwestern Georgia, USA
Contact:

RE: Halt the Spanking Already!

Post by Canoerebel »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
6.  If I come out on the losing end of a carrier battle in the New Hebrides, please send a mental health professional my way.
How're ya holding out, reb?


*ack*

[:(]
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
User avatar
Canoerebel
Posts: 21099
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:21 pm
Location: Northwestern Georgia, USA
Contact:

Bethel Church Wrap Up

Post by Canoerebel »

Miller and I got in about five or six two-day turns yesterday with most of my attention was given to the shock and awe that occurred in connection with Operation Bethel Church, the invasion of Luganville.  Here is a wrap up of Bethel Church as of July 10, 1942.  I'll post more "what went on elsewhere" later today.

1.  The Allies took Luganville on July 8.  So...the operation was a success, right?!
2.  I haven't actually tallied the ship losses yet, but here is a breakdown:
   A.  Combat Ships
        1)  Allies lose three CVs (Saratoga, Enterprise, Yorktown), BB New Mexico, a CA, and a handful of DDs.
        2)  Japanese lose a CV (Junyo), CVL (Shoho) and a few DDs.
   B.  Non-Combat Ships - Allies lost alot of transports.  Guestimate would be 30-40.
3.  Damaged Ships:
   A.  Allies - Only Lexington (with moderate damage) is noteworthy on the Allied side.
   B.  Japanese - Quite a few capital ships received heavy damage, including several BBs.  Two CAs took single    torpedo hits in surface action at Luganville on the 8th.  (In that battle the Japanese lost two DDs and the Allies four).
4.  Aircraft:
   A.  Allies - Losses amounted to about 150 aircraft.
   B.  Japanese - Losses amounted to something over 300 aircraft.
5.  Men:
   A.  Allies - Lost one Marine regiment and a few small support units (a small base force and a SeaBee unit) - their transports were destroyed at sea.
   B.  Japanese - Lost the Luganville garrison (I suppose) - two Naval Guard units and two base forces.
6.  Tactical Situation
   A.  Allies - Gain control of Luganville.  From there it should be possible and relatively safe to build up the islands immediately to the north.
   B.  Japanese - Lunga becomes the forward Japanese base in this region.
7.  Strategic Situation
   A.  Allies - Loss of carriers puts a halt on major Allied operations for the foreseeable future.  Allies will have to concentrate on safer advances - step-by-step moves from one base to the next.  This is possible north of Luganville and perhaps north of Oz where there are some islands.  This may also put a halt to Operation Port Royal unless two things occur:  (A) the Japanese leave NoPac underguarded; and (B) Miller commits his carriers far way (the Solomons, New Guinea, etc.) giving me a window to strike with what few carriers I'll have available providing air support.
   B.  Japanese - Loss of pilots and damage to capital ships should keep Miller from getting too frisky in the short term; but he also has bought himself time to (A) replace and train pilots; (B) repair ships; and (C) organize some strikes at exposed forward bases - Canton Island and Midway come to mind.

In the war to date, the Allies have lost four fleet carriers and a CVL; the Japanese have lost two fleet carriers and two CVLs.

The war at this point is also very close to the real war - the only Japanese gain beyond historic territory would be Port Moresby/Gili Gili (with the notable and troublesome exception of China). There won't be an Operation Watchtower on the historic timetable, however, so I'll fall behind the historic timetable in that regard.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
anarchyintheuk
Posts: 3958
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 7:08 pm
Location: Dallas

RE: Bethel Church Wrap Up

Post by anarchyintheuk »

Don't forget the NG route.

I like to use the higher fighter xp carriers (Enterprise and Yorktown) for cap (60% or higher) and use the lower xp ones (Hornet, Wasp) for escort duties.

It's amazing that reaction moves have been forking up plans since UV and it's still part of the game.

BTW, you lose any good admirals?
User avatar
Canoerebel
Posts: 21099
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:21 pm
Location: Northwestern Georgia, USA
Contact:

RE: Bethel Church Wrap Up

Post by Canoerebel »

Yeah, I *thought* react had been fixed.  I know better now and will resort to putting carriers into Escort TFs to avoid reaction - just as I did in WitP. 
 
I didn't notice any significant leaders losses, but ten turns in one day with a major battle and lots of information flying by on the screen...well, things may have slipped my notice.
 
But the ships that were escorting the American carriers are in pretty good shape.  Very few took any damage.  My surface combat power is fine.
 
New Guinea is what I was referring to - well, both New Guines and some of the islands north of Darwin.  I've been building up Coen for weeks and have an American base force on the way to Portland Roads (the unit is just about to disembark at Brisbane).
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
User avatar
ny59giants
Posts: 9902
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:02 pm

RE: Bethel Church Wrap Up

Post by ny59giants »

6. If I come out on the losing end of a carrier battle in the New Hebrides, please send a mental health professional my way.

I have some extra time available until January when John gets home. [;)]
[center]Image[/center]
User avatar
Canoerebel
Posts: 21099
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:21 pm
Location: Northwestern Georgia, USA
Contact:

RE: Bethel Church Wrap Up

Post by Canoerebel »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants
6. If I come out on the losing end of a carrier battle in the New Hebrides, please send a mental health professional my way.
I have some extra time available until January when John gets home. [;)]

I thought of you, naturally, when I posted that note, Michael.

I was pretty low after that battle. It takes awhile to come to grips with a major loss and to adjust to new realities imposed by a dimished force. I'm not there yet, but I'm working on it.

By the way, I don't even remotely think that auto-victory is a factor in this game. The score is 20k to 10k. Other than China, Miller isn't going to go much further and I don't think any of my high value bases are at risk.

Thinking a few random thoughts:

I am still gathering ships and troops at Seattle for Operation Port Royal. I should have enough APs though I can't be certain until I take closer stock of what I lost at Luganville. I *think* I can create enough noise and enough of a threat in New Guinea and the Solomons to persuade Miller to post his carriers in the region. If I can, then Port Royal would be okay to proceed.

I think one or both of the RN carriers are due to be withdrawn fairly soon, however.

Indomitable, the carrier damaged in the Battle of Java way back in April '42 is due for withdrawal in ten days. She's two days out of Capetown after making the long, long journey from Perth.

Ramillies, the BB recently hit by six TTs (five aircraft, one sub) near Port Blair actually made port in Madras and will be fine barring a sub attack when I eventually move her to Colombo or Karachi.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
User avatar
ny59giants
Posts: 9902
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:02 pm

RE: Bethel Church Wrap Up

Post by ny59giants »

Operation Port Royal - While there is a part of me that is in favor or this operation, my OCD-ness comes up with the need to meet follow up logistic requirements once Miller is aware of it and make his counter moves. I would be flooding the area with subs and make your transports have to run over them to get any follow up forces and supplies there. Now that your carrier forces has been hit hard, how do you plan to maintain your troops up north??

FYI - I'm waiting for patch 2 to come out before responding to John's latest letter about potential offensive moves in a future PBEM game (I'm going to include the list of changes). Needless to say, his flair for bold moves has not changed while he bakes bread in the county jail. [:D] I cannot furnish more information on potential plans as I'm part of the General Staff again and sworn to secrecy. He may want to use them against you if you two start another game.
[center]Image[/center]
Cathartes
Posts: 1585
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2001 10:00 am

RE: Bethel Church Wrap Up

Post by Cathartes »

Yeah, I *thought* react had been fixed.  I know better now and will resort to putting carriers into Escort TFs to avoid reaction - just as I did in WitP. 
As an Air Combat TF, what was your react range set to?  Did you have a particularly aggressive TF leader?

User avatar
Canoerebel
Posts: 21099
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:21 pm
Location: Northwestern Georgia, USA
Contact:

RE: Bethel Church Wrap Up

Post by Canoerebel »

React range 0; commanders weren't aggressive.  Typical WitP/UV reaction against orders with major consequences.  We're eight months into the game.  This game is magnificent and will satisfy me for the remainder of my gaming days as long as there are faithful opponents who don't mind whipping me from time to time.  I've seen just two things thus far that require attention (three if you count getting rid of "react" for carrier TFs, but I've been asking for that forever and apparently the God of Reaction in his omniscience thinks it is a desireable feature).  The two things that require attention (or firm House Rules) to prevent the game from breaking:

1.  Eliminate Artillery Death Stars or their potency.
2.  Reduce Japan's ability to completely destroy Chinese supply by destroying every single strategic target in the first eight months of the game before the Allies have the kind of fighters that can halt it.

In my game, Miller is using waves of bombers to wipe out all strategic targets.  About all I have left is Chungking.  The Chinese can't offer fighter protection for many reasons:  low quality pilots; low quality planes; if you move your fighters to forward bases the Japanese will either shoot them down or bomb the base to oblivion; disabled fighters cannot become airworthy due to no supplies and no ability to repair airfields; very little strategic movement option in China. 

I have used the AVG and some Hurricanes.  The AVG is too few and the Hurricanes too short-legged.  Plus, these squadrons also get disabled and then stuck at the airbase that has no supply.

I'm sounding like a broken record, but China is a mess.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
User avatar
Canoerebel
Posts: 21099
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:21 pm
Location: Northwestern Georgia, USA
Contact:

RE: Bethel Church Wrap Up

Post by Canoerebel »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants
Operation Port Royal - While there is a part of me that is in favor or this operation, my OCD-ness comes up with the need to meet follow up logistic requirements once Miller is aware of it and make his counter moves. I would be flooding the area with subs and make your transports have to run over them to get any follow up forces and supplies there. Now that your carrier forces has been hit hard, how do you plan to maintain your troops up north??

FYI - I'm waiting for patch 2 to come out before responding to John's latest letter about potential offensive moves in a future PBEM game (I'm going to include the list of changes). Needless to say, his flair for bold moves has not changed while he bakes bread in the county jail. [:D] I cannot furnish more information on potential plans as I'm part of the General Staff again and sworn to secrecy. He may want to use them against you if you two start another game.

Michael, that's an important consideration that factors into the decision of whether or not to proceed. I would intend Port Royal to work this way:

1. Bases (Onnekotan and Paramushio) underguarded. This means the Allies should quickly take each base.
2. The operation is intended to be a surprise - if it isn't I shouldn't do it. If it is I should have some time to unload supplies. I would bring a heck of alot of supplies with me.
3. Get the airbases up and running.
4. Winter (Arctic) conditions would soon severely hamper aircraft activity in the region, minimizing the threat from Japanese carriers (I think).
5. I will bring CD units and artillery, which would pose a serious threat when the Japanese counter-invade (which I am sure Miller will do).
6. Allied troops and airbases here pose a big threat to the Japanese - not only in and of themselves, but Miller has to worry that the Allies will next aim for Toyohara and Shikuka. Is there any doubt that Miller will shift a great deal of his assets here - planes, ships, and men?
7. In fact, I don't intend on going any further. Having the Japanese focus up here for awhile should reduce their assets wherever the Allies do go on the offensive.

As the shock of the recent carrier battle wears off over the next few days, I'll reevaluate this plan.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”