B17 Losses too heavy

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
testarossa
Posts: 958
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:06 pm

RE: The results

Post by testarossa »

ORIGINAL: Tristanjohn
...and I'd like the company to fix those problems. I have a right to make this request for the reason I paid for the game. We're not talking about shareware here.

Well, every project has a budget. Fixes cost money. Whatever they do now for WitP is really for upcoming titles as it increases probability that people who bought WitP will by other games from them.

Is it worth to spend 10-20K to rewrite air combat and supply routines to satisfy 10-15 customers, when other 6000 of customers are ok with game as it is now? This is business project and all business rules apply here. Anyone who works in software development here knows how this business works. You keep shelling out new versions, updating customers for free, and than you ship major upgrade, change name to 2006 and make them pay again (issuing rebates if you kind enough).

It's not like I don't understand what you and many others are trying to accomplish here. But do you really think that WitP is unplayable as it is now? Wouldn't you recommend it to your friend? Don't you enjoy the PBEM? Don’t you check your e-mail every hour for the turn?

Healthy criticism is great, but if someone from outside will try to find out what this game is about, what would they see? Problems, problems, problems... They will never have a chance to know about all the good things about this game.

Ron, Mike, Nik did a great job with CHS. Look at all the mods. Isn’t that a proof that this game has a potential?

Sorry for adding another layer to the sh1tcake, BTW.
User avatar
Tristanjohn
Posts: 3027
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 4:50 am
Location: Daly City CA USA
Contact:

RE: The results

Post by Tristanjohn »

I think the logical solution is to get these kinds of games closer to right than wrong to begin with.






Regarding Frank Jack Fletcher: They should have named an oiler after him instead. -- Irrelevant
User avatar
Tristanjohn
Posts: 3027
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 4:50 am
Location: Daly City CA USA
Contact:

RE: The results

Post by Tristanjohn »

ORIGINAL: Toast
ORIGINAL: Tristanjohn

What irks me are the people who constantly write that they don't see any problems. The game's okay. Everything's fine. [8D] (Anyone around here old enough to remember the old cartoon panel "There Ought To Be A Law"?)

So it irks you that people have different opinions than you?

You're trying to put words in my mouth. Why can't you accurately quote people?
It irks you that some people agree with some of the decisions made by the designer of the game and not with you?

The answer to that question is yes.

I just got through telling someone else in a PM that the game would be just as much "fun to play" if it were accurate, that is to say, the game would be just as much fun to play (and entirely more of a challenge to the Japanese player) if it adhered more closely to history.

Wouldn't it?

Would you have less fun playing WitP if it gave good results instead a bad results? If it limited you to historic options rather than a host of ahistoric options? (That isn't to say I'm against ahistoric options in principle, for I am not. If a game on the Waterloo campaign, for example, wishes to give Napoleon, say, another infantry corps or two to play with, a kind of what-if scenario, I'm fine with that. In fact I'd like to see more of this kind of treatment. I'm all for flexibility. But that's not how one designs a Waterloo game to begin with. We speak to options here. First you get it right, then you can toy with it.)
Ultimately any wargame is the deisgners interpretation of history.

Especially with Gary's games. There are other game authors who have made a better effort to depict history as it actually was. Now go ahead, challenge me and ask me who. [:)]
I have been gaming long enough to realize and to realize that some designs will emphasize things that I am not interested in or flat out don't agree with. Some designs will not let me explore some aspects of history that I would like to. But i accept it. I play the game if it has value to me and don't if it doesn't. But I don't get mad at people who find value in the game or agree with the designer.

I'm not "mad" or angry, either. I am concerned that this particular wargame is no better on balance than Gary's other games on the subject, and worse than others. Gary can do better. I know this because he already has done better. For whatever reason, Gary chose to depict this game as a kind of cartoon of the Pacific theater. This dismays me, and I'm not the only one who is dismayed. But even if I were the only one dismayed, I'd still have a right (and as I view it a duty) to point out to Gary that on balance WitP just doesn't make it. I further choose to ask the company to correct the worst of its problems.
I am not saying this game is perfect or that I agree with all the decisions made. I think because of the complexity of the design and the interaction of all the elements, some of the consequences all out of whack with reality and out of whack with what the designer had on mind. And I think Matrix/2by3 have done a great job of trying to supprt this game and make changes when the results are not what was intended.

In general I'm pro Matrix. They seem like okay people and it's true that the support they offer their product is more than some other company's afford theirs. Also, in general I'm pro Gary Grigsby. He has, over the years, designed a number of games I've had fun playing.

However, WitP is a kind of failure. What disturbs me is that it need not be a failure. From what I can see. From what I can see corrections could be made. But nobody's bothering to make those corrections. It's a good year down the road with v1.5 and some of the "corrections" made thus far are still wrong, and most of the telling issues haven't been addressed at all. Indeed, Matrix tells us these problems don't exist in the first place, which is an offensive message to me.
But I don't get irked by people who disagree with my opinions and I don't call anybody an idiot because theu disagree with me and I don't insult the people who have worked hard on this game.

That's swell. So?

Your implication, again, is that I automatically get irked at anyone who disagrees with me, that I go around calling people idiots, presumably just for the fun of it, and I "insult" (whatever that means) anyone and everyone who has worked on the game.

Do I have that right?

If I do have that right then you're dead wrong on all three points.

What I do do is to point out when and where statements that impact the thread are errant. That's because these statements only confuse, never help.

So, am I irked with people for settling for far less time after time? Yes, that irks me. Why? Because it makes it harder for me to obtain higher-quality goods. Am I irked that the mass public will accept this game as a reasonable simulation of the PTO? Yes, that irks me as well. Why? Because this, too, makes it more difficult for me to obtain quality goods. It also tells me that in general the standards of the wargaming community are not high these days--which makes for a kind of downward trend. Am I irked at you in parituclar for simply enjoying to play this game, just for what it is? No, I am not irked by that. You're free to enjoy what you will, and more power to you.

See?

As for insulting the people who worked on this game: I judge by results, not by effort or good intentions. This isn't kindergarten. I have far more respect for Dirk/Ron for trying to tell the company the truth about how the model operates than others who, I have no doubt, kept their collective mouth shut and just went along for the ride. Whether Ron/Dirk is guilty of breaking his NDA I've no way to know. Either way it's irrelevant to me. That's because his stated opinion of how the game operates, and the reasons he's given for holding this opinion, make more sense to me than anything I've heard from the company to date.


Regarding Frank Jack Fletcher: They should have named an oiler after him instead. -- Irrelevant
User avatar
Charbroiled
Posts: 1181
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:50 pm
Location: Oregon

RE: The results

Post by Charbroiled »

Nothing has ever been done before that matches the complexities of WITP. With only having PACWAR to compare WITP too, I would have to say that the developers ARE more right then wrong.

I agree, there are things that can be improved, but overall, I would say I have recieved my money's worth (even when playing against the AI). I have bought a lot of pathetic computer games over the years and I have bought some great computer games over the years. And a lot of time both types have came from the same company. The great ones, I will continue to play. The pathetic ones, I will remove from my hard drive and stash the CD in some box for a yard sale giveaway.

So, my options:

1. Enjoy the game and play it.
2. Hate the game and trash it.
3. Learn programing and make a game how I would like it to be.

But I would never insult and belittle someone for giving me a Volkswagon just because I wanted a Rolls Royce.[:-]
"When I said I would run, I meant 'away' ". - Orange
User avatar
Hornblower
Posts: 1361
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:02 am
Location: New York'er relocated to Chicago

RE: The results

Post by Hornblower »

Well, I’ve been drawn into the thread that will never die. Yeah sure there a some things I’d like to change but none of them are of the magnitude that I would label as making the game unplayable- in my opinion. I like the Game, I liked UV, and I liked WiTP. Personally I appreciate the level of support that Matrix has given us with the Patches- Listening to what was asked and in most cases delivering to us.
moses
Posts: 2252
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2002 3:39 am

RE: The results

Post by moses »

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

ORIGINAL: Tristanjohn

Finally, somebody in this thread, as usual, keeps chattering away about how "all" wargames are inaccurate. Well, that's about as useful as saying "nothing in life is perfect." This is true. This is also what's called an inanity.

Most importantly, if you don't strive for perfection, you will never even get close. And you are settling for mediocracy.


OK lets be clear. There is a difference between striving for perfection and ragging on someone else who is trying their best and doing a pretty fine job.

I never claimed the game was perfect and I have made many critisms in the past so no one can possibly call me a fanboy. But:

We have to admit that this is a milestone in wargaming in scale, beauty, and historical accuracy. (At least name a game that you think is more historically accurate at the operational/Stategic level)

We have to admit that through the forums players have had a chance to voice and debate concerns and they have been listened too.

So I think the moral outrage exhibited by some that the game contains imperfections is hard to take.

User avatar
Ron Saueracker
Posts: 10967
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece

RE: The results

Post by Ron Saueracker »

So I think the moral outrage exhibited by some that the game contains imperfections is hard to take.

Not if the game was given the dev and test period a game of this humungous size requires, and for practicality, deserves. Seeing as it is still teething, a year after release, the most glaring imperfections should be alleviated to the best of the companies ability.
Image

Image

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
User avatar
timtom
Posts: 1500
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2003 9:23 pm
Location: Aarhus, Denmark

RE: The results

Post by timtom »

ORIGINAL: Tristanjohn
That strikes me as logical. It's a thoughtful analysis, anyway. Whether it's true or not is anyone's guess without the corresponding data to prove it, but if I had to bet one way or the other my money would lie on your color.

Sorry Tris, but I'll have to to call this one. No offence, but "whether it's true or not" is not anyone's guess. I present data from a credible source, computing such numbers primarily out of interest, but all the same investing time that I could've spend shagging my girlfriend, getting drunk, or otherwise getting fatter. These numbers aren't arbitrary or pulled out of a hat in any other way. I'm perfectly open to the suggestion of me being wrong, but refuting my arguments has to be based on evidence, not "anyone's guess".

(Note to self: Don't post under the influence)
Where's the Any key?

Image
User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: The results

Post by Mr.Frag »

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker
So I think the moral outrage exhibited by some that the game contains imperfections is hard to take.

Not if the game was given the dev and test period a game of this humungous size requires, and for practicality, deserves. Seeing as it is still teething, a year after release, the most glaring imperfections should be alleviated to the best of the companies ability.

Ron,

(a) Matrix lost their forums right in the middle of when we should have been voicing our opinions. It seriously hurt costing a large chunk of time.

(b) The budget for this game was about 1/4th of what was required. That fact didn't really come to light until later on.

(c) There were not enough testers for a game of this scope and there were too many freeloaders who showed up just to get their free copy instead of work their asses off to help.

(d) Our focus (and you still don't seem to get this even after all this time) is fixing bugs as you have editors to make your B-17's into B-52's should you want to. Bug's can't be fixed with the editors, it needs development work.

Look at the list of bugs and then sit back, calm down ... and rethink exactly how *anything* could have been balanced at all with all those bugs? We are *only* now really getting to a point where you can turn around and talk about balance with some reasonable comments because it actually might be a balance thing instead of some bug that is causing the results.

Look at the air search fix ... all this hate flooding the forums about ASW yet completely meaningless as there was a massive bug in the search routines. Now that the *bug* is fixed, Mike made one simple change and suddenly the forum goes silent. Had the bog not been fixed, Mike could have made hundreds of changes all for nothing.

Look at the overflow bug that let aircraft bomb from below sea level getting amazing results. Care to explain how one tunes bombing effectiveness with that bug?

Reality sucks at times, but it is STILL reality.
User avatar
Ron Saueracker
Posts: 10967
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece

RE: The results

Post by Ron Saueracker »

Frag. You basically said what I just did. Not enough resources and time were given to this puppy. C'est la guere.
Image

Image

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
Mike Scholl
Posts: 6187
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:17 am
Location: Kansas City, MO

RE: The results

Post by Mike Scholl »

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag


Ron,

(a) Matrix lost their forums right in the middle of when we should have been voicing our opinions. It seriously hurt costing a large chunk of time.

(b) The budget for this game was about 1/4th of what was required. That fact didn't really come to light until later on.

(c) There were not enough testers for a game of this scope and there were too many freeloaders who showed up just to get their free copy instead of work their asses off to help.

(d) Our focus (and you still don't seem to get this even after all this time) is fixing bugs as you have editors to make your B-17's into B-52's should you want to. Bug's can't be fixed with the editors, it needs development work.

Look at the list of bugs and then sit back, calm down ... and rethink exactly how *anything* could have been balanced at all with all those bugs? We are *only* now really getting to a point where you can turn around and talk about balance with some reasonable comments because it actually might be a balance thing instead of some bug that is causing the results.

Look at the air search fix ... all this hate flooding the forums about ASW yet completely meaningless as there was a massive bug in the search routines. Now that the *bug* is fixed, Mike made one simple change and suddenly the forum goes silent. Had the bog not been fixed, Mike could have made hundreds of changes all for nothing.

Look at the overflow bug that let aircraft bomb from below sea level getting amazing results. Care to explain how one tunes bombing effectiveness with that bug?

Reality sucks at times, but it is STILL reality.

FRAG. That's the most honest and revealing explanation of how so many problems got into the game you've ever offered. I can especially relate to your item (c) as I turned down a play-testor spot that was offerred because I didn't have sufficent free time to do justice to the job. I wish you would have put it that way many times before. Maybe it would be sinking in by now.

All of my annoyance with 2by3 stems from disappointment with some of the design choices they made.
I know the guys were busting their butts working on this game..., it's just so frustraiting that they hard-coded themselves into so many needless corners that when someone offered up a better solution to one of the problems they couldn't do anything about it. It drives me up the wall, but I don't dislike or lack respect for their efforts.

I will plead guilty to anger with some of the "Fan-Boy" responses blindly defending ahistoric and stupid results that sometimes arise in the game. Shouting "black IS white" doesn't make it so..., but it does "trip my trigger". You've done this on occasion..., probably when suffering from the same kind of frustration I'm refeing to. But the answers above are real, honest, and professional; and I can appreciate the points you make.
User avatar
Tristanjohn
Posts: 3027
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 4:50 am
Location: Daly City CA USA
Contact:

RE: The results

Post by Tristanjohn »

ORIGINAL: Charbroiled

Nothing has ever been done before that matches the complexities of WITP. With only having PACWAR to compare WITP too, I would have to say that the developers ARE more right then wrong.

I agree, there are things that can be improved, but overall, I would say I have recieved my money's worth (even when playing against the AI). I have bought a lot of pathetic computer games over the years and I have bought some great computer games over the years. And a lot of time both types have came from the same company. The great ones, I will continue to play. The pathetic ones, I will remove from my hard drive and stash the CD in some box for a yard sale giveaway.

So, my options:

1. Enjoy the game and play it.
2. Hate the game and trash it.
3. Learn programing and make a game how I would like it to be.

But I would never insult and belittle someone for giving me a Volkswagon just because I wanted a Rolls Royce.[:-]

Gary didn't "give" you anything. You paid for the Rolls and received the Volkswagen. Big difference.


Regarding Frank Jack Fletcher: They should have named an oiler after him instead. -- Irrelevant
User avatar
Tristanjohn
Posts: 3027
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 4:50 am
Location: Daly City CA USA
Contact:

RE: The results

Post by Tristanjohn »

ORIGINAL: timtom
ORIGINAL: Tristanjohn
That strikes me as logical. It's a thoughtful analysis, anyway. Whether it's true or not is anyone's guess without the corresponding data to prove it, but if I had to bet one way or the other my money would lie on your color.

Sorry Tris, but I'll have to to call this one. No offence, but "whether it's true or not" is not anyone's guess. I present data from a credible source, computing such numbers primarily out of interest, but all the same investing time that I could've spend shagging my girlfriend, getting drunk, or otherwise getting fatter. These numbers aren't arbitrary or pulled out of a hat in any other way. I'm perfectly open to the suggestion of me being wrong, but refuting my arguments has to be based on evidence, not "anyone's guess".

(Note to self: Don't post under the influence)

I was referring to your conclusions and conjecture--as I wrote, your analysis of the data, not the data itself. That ought to have been obvious. Why would I question data that I often quote myself? Makes no sense.

Stop drinking, go on the wagon, find a beautiful girl for the night.


Regarding Frank Jack Fletcher: They should have named an oiler after him instead. -- Irrelevant
User avatar
scout1
Posts: 3124
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:26 pm
Location: South Bend, In

RE: The results

Post by scout1 »

Tristanjohn,

Are you lawyer IRL ? You certainly come across as one who likes to debate for the sake of arguement only. Out of curiosity, how many WitP games are you currently running ?
What game has lived up to your expectations ?
User avatar
Apollo11
Posts: 25455
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Contact:

RE: The results

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

(a) Matrix lost their forums right in the middle of when we should have been voicing our opinions. It seriously hurt costing a large chunk of time.

(b) The budget for this game was about 1/4th of what was required. That fact didn't really come to light until later on.

(c) There were not enough testers for a game of this scope and there were too many freeloaders who showed up just to get their free copy instead of work their asses off to help.

(d) Our focus (and you still don't seem to get this even after all this time) is fixing bugs as you have editors to make your B-17's into B-52's should you want to. Bug's can't be fixed with the editors, it needs development work.

Look at the list of bugs and then sit back, calm down ... and rethink exactly how *anything* could have been balanced at all with all those bugs? We are *only* now really getting to a point where you can turn around and talk about balance with some reasonable comments because it actually might be a balance thing instead of some bug that is causing the results.

Look at the air search fix ... all this hate flooding the forums about ASW yet completely meaningless as there was a massive bug in the search routines. Now that the *bug* is fixed, Mike made one simple change and suddenly the forum goes silent. Had the bog not been fixed, Mike could have made hundreds of changes all for nothing.

Look at the overflow bug that let aircraft bomb from below sea level getting amazing results. Care to explain how one tunes bombing effectiveness with that bug?

Reality sucks at times, but it is STILL reality.

Thanks for info Raymond - honest and true (especially about funding and BETA)!


BTW, "Kid" was always saying that he is 100% happy with BETA team he had and didn't want new people in (there were _PLENTY_ of volunteering people, 24 months ago, who were experienced UV players for example)... [:(]


Regarding the two (2) bugs you mention:

#1
ASW search

#2
"below sea" level bombing

In what WitP version were they fixed?


Leo "Apollo11"
Image

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
User avatar
doktorblood
Posts: 561
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:40 am

RE: The results

Post by doktorblood »

Die, Thread, Die!
Image
User avatar
treespider
Posts: 5781
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:34 am
Location: Edgewater, MD

RE: The results

Post by treespider »

ORIGINAL: Tristanjohn

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

CHEZ. Your points are legitimate and well-founded. In most of the time that the numbers cited were gathered the Japanese were on the offensive rather than the defensive, so the 1.2 to1 "edge" of the Wildcats is probably inflated by the factors you mentioned by about 25%. Which would give an "even
odds" result of something like 1 : .95 in favor of the Zeros. John would probably not object if the game were producing a relatively even exchange rate over the long haul. I wouldn't. Sure some days will be good, and some won't. The Zero has many "edges" in such combats, the F4F relatively few. But the few are important ones, like being A LOT tougher and having better usable firepower and having the ability to break off in an unfavorable situation by accellerating into a roll or putting the nose down and diving.

That's a useful summation. Ratios of 1.2:1 or 1:1.2 only suggest to me roughly equal.

By the way, the Japanese enjoyed the advantage of being on the offensive during these raids, and in fact pumped up their figures on one occasion when they bounced the boys at Cactus.

But no matter, after a year's struggle the Wildcat and Zero were roughly equal in combat, whatever the reasons. And so that's where I would start with my model for those two aircraft. How to go about that? I don't know. It would take time to work out. But it ought to be apparent that Gary's simplistic approach doesn't get it. If in fact the Zero is more "maneuverable" and was driven by "better" pilots, so be it. But in that case something of critical nature must be missing from the plane/pilot ratings, and/or something else is otherwise mistaken with the air-to-air combat formula(s), because the ingame kill ratios don't jive with history.

What could be more clear than that?

Do the kill ratios have to come out to the precise decimal point? No. Should the kill ratios be in the ballpark consistently? Yes.

Hypothetically speaking if a group of 200 Zeros encountered a group of 200 Wildcats and each side destroyed 50...They would have the same kill ratio. They would also have the same kill ratio if 25 Zeros were damaged and 75 Wildcats were damaged in addition to the 50 already destroyed.

Which aircraft is the better performer? The one which can put more hits on target than the other, or the target who if hit is more likely to survive even though he is being hit at a higher rate?


[Edit:] PS a lot of my friends are rotted fence posts...



Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910
Mike Scholl
Posts: 6187
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:17 am
Location: Kansas City, MO

RE: The results

Post by Mike Scholl »

ORIGINAL: treespider
Hypothetically speaking if a group of 200 Zeros encountered a group of 200 Wildcats and each side destroyed 50...They would have the same kill ratio. They would also have the same kill ratio if 25 Zeros were damaged and 75 Wildcats were damaged in addition to the 50 already destroyed.

Which aircraft is the better performer? The one which can put more hits on target than the other, or the target who if hit is more likely to survive even though he is being hit at a higher rate?

[Edit:] PS a lot of my friends are rotted fence posts...

The real point is that over the course of 1942 Zero's Engaged Wildcats on many occasions. Sometimes
one side beat up the other; other times the reverse occurred; and most of the time the results were fairly eaual. Historically speaking, the Wildcats held about a 6:5 advantage at the end of the year, but as the Japanese were "stretching" themselves offensively in the Solomans for about half of the period one would expect the US to have an advantage in getting cripples home (as the Brits did in the BoB). If "fair" engagements (both sides at normal range) occur in the game, one would expect "fair" results over a period of time based on the historical data.

What causes most of the yelling about air-to-air combat is the anomolies in the system that produce some
very odd results at different places in the tables. The high end (lots of planes involved) seems to produce very one-sided amssacres, especially vs. bombers. The very low end (defending with only 3 fighters) seems to favor the defender in results, though the numbers involved are small enough that there are no massacres. Maybe the answer to dealing with the seemingly hard-coded tables is to have the game break down the units to no more than one squadron or group on each side in any one fight. Would mean more fights in a mission, but might avoid the large masses of A/C that produce such wierd results. Does anyone know for sure one way or another?
User avatar
Tristanjohn
Posts: 3027
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 4:50 am
Location: Daly City CA USA
Contact:

RE: The results

Post by Tristanjohn »

ORIGINAL: scout1

Tristanjohn,

Are you lawyer IRL ? You certainly come across as one who likes to debate for the sake of argument only. Out of curiosity, how many WitP games are you currently running ?
What game has lived up to your expectations ?

Sorry, I'm not a lawyer.

Two PBEMs going, though I'm quite a bit tardy with both.

Many board wargames have lived up to my expectations--too many over the years to list. One of my favorites was Terrible Swift Sword.

I'd say of all of Gary's games I've played, Second Front probably jazzed me the most. It certainly lived up to my expectations. (From that same period, David Landrey's Battles of Napoleon worked for me, too.)

It could be the case that the developers of games I have interest in just can't cut it today, or maybe I should say can't cut it in today's marketplace. Matrix/2by3 might be a good case.

I really think the overarching problem with WitP, now that Frag has admitted several things re the project, was its lack of developmental direction. Not enough money for it? The volunteers jacked off? Big surprises there.

We'll deal with those fast:

Not enough money? Then you either 1) get more money or 2) don't get into the project to begin with. If it's the case that the project's budgetary projections were seriously off the mark, then that only proves my point re bad developmental direction.

The playtesters were crapola? Or at least many of them were? Huge surprise there. I watched as these people, or many of them, were "chosen" out of the forum. And I shake my head. Now this far down the road we're told that, alas, the work didn't get done, that many of these people, as it turned out, only wanted a t-shirt.

I'd ask up front and directly: how many of these people, even had they worked their butts off, could have made, likely would have made any appreciable difference in the end quality of this product? The people chosen were basically the same people posting in this forum today, with the same curve at work regarding their "leanings." I'm talking about the same people who insist today that there are no problems with WitP, that it's "good enough" for them. Sure, Mike Scholl was asked, but that's one in a hundred or so, and I seriously doubt his ideas would have been incorporated anyway--he has good ideas, ideas which run diametrically opposed to Gary's so how far off on that score could I be?

Ron/Dirk got in somehow, but that was before they found out Ron/Dirk was willing to open his mouth in public, before they got a load of Ron/Dirk's ideas of what a proper wargame should be.

Which brings us approximately to . . . NDAs.

For anyone in doubt, NDA stands for Nondisclosure Agreement. These can be worded however one wishes, but basically it boils down to a member of the playtest team agreeing to keep his mouth shut about the product during the test period or even after the test period. Nothing new there. Testers were signing NDAs going back many years. Some game companies are more anal about these contracts than others.

What I wonder is how relevant, how useful NDAs are when it comes to product of this kind.

Let's take Ron/Dirk as our working example.

I don't know the details, but let's be fair to the company and accept at face value all that Ray and Russ (Frag and Mogami) have told us on this score (the thread's up there somewhere if you care to look for it), that Ron/Dirk reneged and went public with this, that it had nothing whatsoever to do with Ron/Dirk's other contributions to the project.

Does that make any sense? I mean, does it make any sense over and above the contractual wording of the NDA? To put it yet a third way, did this decision to let Ron/Dirk go help the project?

We already know the project was starved of good playtesters. Ray admits as much now. I knew that right away, of course, and told the company such--three years ago now, two and half years ago now? Whatever. I forget. But the handwriting was clearly on the wall for anyone to see who wanted to see it, and reaction of the company when I told the company that is easy for me to remember. The reaction was to kill one thread outright and pretty much deny my opinion across the board on the other. Oh yeah, and ridicule me every chance they got in an attempt to make me go away. Yet here we are, down the road with a dysfunctional game system and no immediate or even far-off remedy at hand, and now it turns out that even the company, a company not given to revealing much of anything of its inner workings, is willing to admit, for whatever reason, that its recruitment process essentially paid no good dividends.

Does that make sense to you?

Did it make sense, I ask again, for the company to let Ron/Dirk go just because he divulged one thing or the other re the project in the public forum?

Isn't the public forum, a place where these volunteer testers were recruited to begin with, a logical place to go for more and better ideas, especially if the project is already admitted to be starved of good tester talent, good tester attitude? Where else would one go to find more talent? A corner down on Main Street?

I don't know what input Ron/Dirk afforded the company behind the scenes. It could be that "all" he offered was conceptual of nature, something which I doubt was valued much by the company, based on feedback re that question that I've read from Ray over the years. (Ray's real big on controlled tests, and while I admit these have value as wel, tests are not the end-all of development, or at least shouldn't be.) I'd guess the input of Ron/Dirk wouldn't have very much different than what we read of him here in this forum. Why would it be?

And so I'm confident Ron/Dirk went into the project and took a look at what was going down and, some time before noon, say, blew a gasket. At that juncture he most likely would have begun to write his all-too-familiar messages on the boards that the rest us of cannot see, the boards behind the scenes. Consequently, I'm equally sure, he began to irritate people at the company. He wasn't a "team player" as it turned out.

Why?

Because most people don't want to be told they don't know what they're doing. And if you tell most people that, their reaction will not be civil but heated. If you keep telling them that they'll strike out and hurt you if they can.

At some point in time Ron/Dirk "hurt" too many people, and I'm sure it was thus decided, perhaps tacitly decided, to get rid of him. After all, he didn't perform all these controlled tests that Ray's so fond of, but instead kept telling the powers that be that the project at its core made no good sense in too many areas to work correctly no matter how many controlled tests were conducted. Or something like that. (In fact, Ron/Dirk says he did run controlled tests when it came to ASW at least, and I've no reason t doubt his word.)

Anyway, Ron/Dirk's approach makes good sense to me. It would likely made no sense at all to Ray, as well as other members of the development team.

Finally, Ron/Dirk went public with his frustrations, seeking the "weight" of public opinion, as it were, to help him in his effort to get the company (mostly Gary, I'd guess) to see the light of day. And right away the company had the perfect excuse to jettison Ron/Dirk.

     See ya later!

The company was technically justified in this action, but it was stupid nevertheless to let Ron/Dirk go. This is why.

Concepts are important. Few people have the mental capacity to think conceptually. They just don't. At least not in any meaningful way. Ron/Dirk can think conceptually, and that the company could not find good use for such a person speaks volumes for just how incompetent this development team and the resultant process was. You don't get rid of genius. You find use for genius. No matter how hard it is to get along with a very bright person, intelligent people find a way to do just that. This development team failed to find a way to get along with Ron/Dirk and make best use of his talent. And that's on the development team.

And so now, with Ron/Dirk gone, who was inside the workings of this project to continue to offer good input along critically conceptual lines? That is to say, who was there to point out that this model and that model made no sense, would never make sense because they could never make sense, and so ought to be scrapped and rethought and remodeled before yet more development time and resource was wasted trying to make the proverbial silk purse out of the poor sow's ear?

I don't know, but I'd guess no one like Ron/Dirk was available. Ron/Dirk is one in a thousand, maybe one in ten thousand. That's how rare these people are. He's bright and is not afraid to speak his mind no matter the cost. He obviously did not join the project for a t-shirt but rather to get the best game possible. For Ron/Dirk it was literally a labor of love. Plus he was capable.

It is hard, if not utterly impossible, to replace people of that ilk. They don't drop off trees.

Yet the company let Ron/Dirk go with a shrug. That should tell anyone with interest how badly, how incompetently the project was managed.

Someone needed to be there to clean up the mess, straighten the furniture and get the show properly back on the road. That person didn't exist, or didn't have the juice. Either way, Ron/Dirk was gone, though the clowns were still there in rounds numbers (says Ray now) doing nothing or next to nothing worthwhile. The thing is nobody was left to point out how mistaken Gary's various models are, not that Gary was listening to begin with, and so the project went nowhere very useful. And here we all are, at v1.5, working on v 1.6 or whatever they'll call that, and the project, what's left of it, continues to spin its wheels.

No big surprise to me. And now I'm repeating myself.

Well, with or without Ron/Dirk, a lot of time, we're told, was invested in the AI. To do what? It doesn't even move supplies intelligently--indeed, it seems to move supplies in the identical unintelligent fashion that supplies were moved (allowed to bleed from one base to the next, a sort of osmosis) in PacWar. Did you play PacWar, and isn't this so? If not, take my word for it. And same same for UV of course.

The auto-convoy system?

Exactly what could Gary have possibly imagined that work, that investment of time (and thus project money) in the AI to eventually accomplish? Well, it allows the computer player to play, sort of. But that's it.

Joe Wilkerson tells me that you need a good AI to properly test a product of this kind. I'm not sure I agree with that completely, but Joe has experience I don't have, he does this sort of work, or related work, for his living, so I'm willing to accept at face value for the moment what Joe says on that score. I'm a big believer in experience.

So, if we do need an AI to test product of this kind, surely that AI has to be completed, it must be working properly before it could be of any use for test purposes. Right? And from what I can see the AI is hardly "working" even today, so what sort of test results would you expect from it a year or two ago?

Bad test results, that's what kind.

My opinion is that proper playtesting of any wargame requires, over and above a functional AI, hands-on cooperation of skilled and experienced human players, efficiently directed by a person of great wargame experience himself, with good managerial skills on top of that. Plus, these people need to be of the let's-make-it-better-still variety. Yes-men don't count. Yes-men are useless. Anyone from the it's-good-enough-for-me school of thought is detrimental to any product development process--unless you just want to sell some price-pointed throwaway item to be stocked at K-Mart, and even in that case the co0mpetition is fierce, so you still need good people finding better ways to make cheaper product more efficiently than the next guy. And like that.

Most especially this would hold true with complicated software of this kind which you know up front is going to be examined by not K-Mart customers but by gamers who have much more on the ball. Or at least some of your customer base will fit that bill, and that portion of your customer base will be both articulate and vocal.

And this sort of testing for that kind of product takes time. And care.

I just don't see how this game could ever be made "right" until it's been played through, or nearly through, the length and breadth of the entire system any number of times by wargamers of that description. And had Gary asked me I'd have told him exactly that much. As Gary didn't bother to ask me, I volunteered this opinion any number of times on the UV boards.

Predictably, I was studiously ignored.

It wouldn't surprise me that Ron/Dirk told everyone on the development team within shouting distance the same thing that had to be on his mind, and I'm sure Ron/Dirk was studiously ignored as well.

Anyway, to me all of this nonsense boils down to: let's get the game out in beta form at least and then test it publicly. We'll make our corrections on the fly post publication and hope for the best.

Right.

Except after year or so, when the game system is still hopelessly broken, the talk is there will not be many more patches to look forward to.

And sure enough, here we are and Matrix is telling us (Erik told us in this thread a few days ago) that it doesn't look too good for further patches, that Matrix has already done more than nost companies in that regard, etc. How that plays out eventually I don't know, but here's the rub.

We seem to need Gary to hang around to alter the model itself, or at least I'm under that impression, because no number of bug hunts will get this game to work right. Bugs are an issue, as always, but bugs are not the main culprit here.

The fundamental problem is that the game's underlying models weren't designed correctly. And Gary's already gone. So, I don't see the game getting better any time soon. And as time wears on and more and more players delve deeper and deeper and mine more of the game's secrets and the Allies begin to roll, I can easily imagine all sorts of new problems rearing their ugly heads. And by that time what? Will Matrix even be monitoring these WitP boards, much less paying someone to pump out patches? I seriously doubt the latter, and the former really doesn't have much impact, does it?

The end result for me is I doubt I'll pop for Gary's third try at the eastern front, based on the quality of this product and the way it all shook out. The only way I would buy it is if one or two or three people from this forum (that's about how many exist whose opinions I value much--actually there are more, call them the Dirty Dozen) spoke volumes of praise for it. And even then I'd be hesitant. Not because I thought I'd waste the money. I can afford this stuff. But because I don't need the heartache. I don't need the disappointment. I don't need yet one more game from Gary that comes dysfunctional, promising much but delivering little.

A wargame, or if you prefer, an historical simulation, has one simple purpose: to allow people with an interest in the subject to experiment with what-ifs, or try and do better than historical leaders did in a similar situation. With history text and map in hand the gamer should be afforded this opportunity. That's what a wargame is.

Are there abstractions? Of course. But you don't dumb it down to the point where the OOB doesn't make sense anymore just to keep the fanboys happy, where the logistics are laughable, where one side or the other is able somehow to conquer areas of the map not even remotely possible in real life--and mind you, not with what-if OOBs but with the stock historical OOBs.

With a wargame the purpose is to give people an historic challenge. If the public isn't up to that, if the public won't buy that kind of game, then fine, make a beer-and-pretzels game instead and be done with it. Whatever it takes to put food on your table, Gary. I have no problem with that. But don't advertise a game as being "historical" and then deliver a game that's "hysterical" instead. And then on top of that deny the game is screwed up to begin with. That's bullshit.

Enough. WitP is not a good wargame. WitP is something else. I'm not sure exactly what it is. A disappointment to me, for one thing, and I believe a harbinger of worse things to come. Time will tell.

And now I'm another hour or two further behind in my PBEM games.

Did I mention I'm not a lawyer?


Regarding Frank Jack Fletcher: They should have named an oiler after him instead. -- Irrelevant
User avatar
Tristanjohn
Posts: 3027
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 4:50 am
Location: Daly City CA USA
Contact:

RE: The results

Post by Tristanjohn »

ORIGINAL: treespider
ORIGINAL: Tristanjohn

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

CHEZ. Your points are legitimate and well-founded. In most of the time that the numbers cited were gathered the Japanese were on the offensive rather than the defensive, so the 1.2 to1 "edge" of the Wildcats is probably inflated by the factors you mentioned by about 25%. Which would give an "even
odds" result of something like 1 : .95 in favor of the Zeros. John would probably not object if the game were producing a relatively even exchange rate over the long haul. I wouldn't. Sure some days will be good, and some won't. The Zero has many "edges" in such combats, the F4F relatively few. But the few are important ones, like being A LOT tougher and having better usable firepower and having the ability to break off in an unfavorable situation by accellerating into a roll or putting the nose down and diving.

That's a useful summation. Ratios of 1.2:1 or 1:1.2 only suggest to me roughly equal.

By the way, the Japanese enjoyed the advantage of being on the offensive during these raids, and in fact pumped up their figures on one occasion when they bounced the boys at Cactus.

But no matter, after a year's struggle the Wildcat and Zero were roughly equal in combat, whatever the reasons. And so that's where I would start with my model for those two aircraft. How to go about that? I don't know. It would take time to work out. But it ought to be apparent that Gary's simplistic approach doesn't get it. If in fact the Zero is more "maneuverable" and was driven by "better" pilots, so be it. But in that case something of critical nature must be missing from the plane/pilot ratings, and/or something else is otherwise mistaken with the air-to-air combat formula(s), because the ingame kill ratios don't jive with history.

What could be more clear than that?

Do the kill ratios have to come out to the precise decimal point? No. Should the kill ratios be in the ballpark consistently? Yes.

Hypothetically speaking if a group of 200 Zeros encountered a group of 200 Wildcats and each side destroyed 50...They would have the same kill ratio. They would also have the same kill ratio if 25 Zeros were damaged and 75 Wildcats were damaged in addition to the 50 already destroyed.

Which aircraft is the better performer? The one which can put more hits on target than the other, or the target who if hit is more likely to survive even though he is being hit at a higher rate?


[Edit:] PS a lot of my friends are rotted fence posts...




I'm not sure how to answer that except to point out that Navy pilots flying Wildcats would be superior (proved to be superior during the war) in the relevant categories: that is, their shooting was somewhat better, their armament heavier and more reliable, their planes infinitely better constructed.

Now that doesn't suggest to me that Wildcats were "better" than Zeros, though I do believe that Wildcats, on balance, were better designed. The Wildcat was a better all-around performer. The Zero was a compromised design.

Chez, by the way, pointed out that all airplanes represent, aeronautically speaking, compromised designs. That's true. As far as it goes. But it doesn't go far enough.

For instance, a plane that can turn circles around the next plane, such as the Zero versus the Wildcat, will never be able roll very well with that other plane. The laws of physics tell us as much.

But when I say "compromised" with regard to the Zero I mean to say very very compromised, where the Zero was only good for certain roles, and when it eventually met the Wildcat, its advantages were not enough to offset its limitations because of that compromised design. The end result was that an aircraft which was less "maneuverable," one which was not looked favorably upon even by the pilots who flew it, was nevertheless able to stay with the Zero for an entire year of the war, and at that with less "experienced" and, I'm told, not as well "trained" pilots on top of that.

So what does all this say?

It says that Gary's model, some way, somehow is not up to its work.

It isn't necessarily an issue of the "Zero bonus" or the "maneuver" rating for the planes or the pilot ratings or leader ratings. I don't care how many bonuses Gary decides to favor the Zero with. Give the Zero a hundred bonuses for all I care. There's plenty of eye candy in the game--why not give it some more? I also don't care how the plane "maneuver" ratings are stated. I further don't care how good the pilots and leaders are. But at the end of one year of combat, reasonable combat, that is, the kill ratio between the Zero and Wildcat should be, all other things being equal, around 1:1. If that kill ratio is very far off from that, the model is broken. How is it broken? I don't know, because the company has never released the formulas. That's some big secret--as if anyone else would wish to copy them. (A few years ago someone did. Does anyone remember that knock off of Gary's south Pacific game?)

But the model's broken nevertheless. It's a simple (very simple) case of math.


Regarding Frank Jack Fletcher: They should have named an oiler after him instead. -- Irrelevant
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”