Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16739
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Mike Solli »

7 Aug 43

Sub War

The I-10 caught an inbound supply convoy south of Noumea and, in 2 attacks, sank one xAK and heavily damaged another. Just a couple hexes away, the I-170 sank an ACM.

East of Dutch Harbor, the I-179 sank another xAK.

Finally, off Truk, the Oyashio hit a sub prowling around the area.

5 Fleet

Nothing to report.

4 Fleet

Ok, I moved KB around with the idea of thrashing the already beat up CVE TF. I ended up 2 hexes to the NW of the remnants. What I didn't know was that there was another CV TF that came scurrying up from the south. This one was composed of Yorktown, Saratoga and Wasp. [X(]. Two fortunate events happened. 1) I got the first strike in and 2) they went after the CV TF 4 hexes away instead of the trashed CVE TF 2 hexes away. [:)]

My first strike was a biggun. 83 torpedo bombers and 63 dive bombers escorted by 56 Zeros, but he had 66 Hellcats defending. [X(]. Talk about stressful! [:D]

Here's the replay:

Morning Air attack on TF, near Ontong Java at 114,129

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 20,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 20 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M3a Zero x 5
A6M5 Zero x 51
B5N1 Kate x 3
B5N2 Kate x 54
B6N2 Jill x 26
D4Y1 Judy x 63

Allied aircraft
F6F-3 Hellcat x 66

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zero: 5 destroyed
B5N1 Kate: 1 damaged
B5N2 Kate: 7 destroyed, 4 damaged
B5N2 Kate: 1 destroyed by flak
B6N2 Jill: 2 destroyed
D4Y1 Judy: 10 destroyed, 13 damaged
D4Y1 Judy: 4 destroyed by flak

Allied aircraft losses
F6F-3 Hellcat: 1 destroyed

Allied Ships
CV Yorktown, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CV Saratoga, Bomb hits 4, Torpedo hits 2, heavy damage
CV Wasp, Bomb hits 2, Torpedo hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
CL Phoenix, Bomb hits 1
CA New Orleans, Bomb hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage
CA Wichita, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

I ended up losing 17 Zeros, 24 Dive Bombers and 17 torpedo bombers. Looks like only 25 TBs had torpedoes. The Wasp had a fuel explosion too. Definitely worth the pilots. I have plenty in the Home Islands waiting for their chance. By the way, only 2 Hellcats were shot down. [:(]

Ted's attack struck next. Here's the play by play:

Morning Air attack on TF, near Buka at 112,125

Weather in hex: Thunderstorms

Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 31 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M3a Zero x 7
A6M5 Zero x 82
A6M5c Zero x 26

Allied aircraft
F6F-3 Hellcat x 21
SBD-3 Dauntless x 63
TBF-1 Avenger x 51

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
F6F-3 Hellcat: 5 destroyed
SBD-3 Dauntless: 25 destroyed, 21 damaged
SBD-3 Dauntless: 1 destroyed by flak
TBF-1 Avenger: 21 destroyed, 5 damaged

Japanese Ships
BB Haruna
CVL Ryujo
CV Akagi
BB Hiei
BB Kirishima
CV Kaga
CVE Hosho

Seeing over 100 enemy bombers heading my way scared the hell out of me. My fighters did their job though, killing 11 of the (only) 21 Hellcats before burning through to the bombers. They shot down 30 SBDs and 28 Avengers before getting to my ships. Flak got a couple SBDs and a dozen of each were shot down on the way home. 55 of the bombers attacked my ships and none hit, which I find curious. I guess he should have been more active with his bombers earlier striking at my ships where my carriers weren't, if only to get naval attack practice. Sitting in port training will get you only so much. Conversely, many of my carrier pilots were on those ships from the beginning of the war and have gained a LOT of experience. What's even more interesting is that while I lost quite a few planes, I didn't lose that many pilots. Really weird actually. Something saved a lot of them. I did have quite a few subs in the area but I though the subs had to be in the hex. Whatever the reason, I lost far fewer pilots than planes, which suites me fine.

There were a couple small attacks from both sides that got trashed. We each lost about a dozen planes.

Then, my carriers hit his CV TF in the afternoon:

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Ontong Java at 114,129

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid detected at 78 NM, estimated altitude 18,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 20 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M3a Zero x 4
A6M5 Zero x 40
B5N1 Kate x 6
B5N2 Kate x 29
B6N2 Jill x 25
D4Y1 Judy x 38

Allied aircraft
F6F-3 Hellcat x 17

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zero: 1 destroyed
B5N1 Kate: 1 damaged
B6N2 Jill: 1 damaged
D4Y1 Judy: 4 damaged
D4Y1 Judy: 2 destroyed by flak

No Allied losses

Allied Ships
CV Yorktown, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires
CV Wasp, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
CV Saratoga, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
DD Balch
CL Columbia
DD Lansdowne
CL Nashville
CL Phoenix
CL Montpelier
CL St. Louis
DD Reid
CL Honolulu

I think Wasp is doomed and Sara is 50-50. I think Yorktown will make it. Most of the bomb hits were 500kg.

Anyway, there was one final attack on my carriers:

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Buka at 112,125

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 29 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M3a Zero x 5
A6M5 Zero x 59
A6M5c Zero x 17

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 3
F4U-1 Corsair x 2
SBD-5 Dauntless x 13

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
SBD-5 Dauntless: 5 destroyed, 1 damaged
SBD-5 Dauntless: 1 destroyed by flak

Japanese Ships
CVL Ryujo, Bomb hits 1
BB Haruna

Only one Dauntless survived, but the hit was with a 1000 lb bomb. I was really worried that little Ryujo was doomed but was surprised by the damage: 1-11(1)-0-0 [X(] Must have been a near miss!

The last two attacks of the afternoon was by KB and they went after the CVE TF:

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Ontong Java at 114,126

Weather in hex: Thunderstorms

Raid detected at 79 NM, estimated altitude 18,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 20 minutes

Japanese aircraft
B5N2 Kate x 18
D4Y1 Judy x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 5 damaged
D4Y1 Judy: 2 damaged

Allied Ships
BB New Mexico, Bomb hits 4, Torpedo hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
CLAA Reno
CLAA Oakland
DD Lang
DE Gilmore, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk

and:

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Ontong Java at 114,126

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid detected at 65 NM, estimated altitude 18,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 27 minutes

Japanese aircraft
B5N2 Kate x 18

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 3 damaged

Allied Ships
CLAA Oakland, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CL Richmond, Torpedo hits 1
BB New Mexico, heavy damage
CL Detroit

New Mexico is doomed, as are some of the cruisers and destroyers too. It'll probably be awhile before I learn of the final results, but it was glorious.

In all, I lost 31 fighter pilots, 21 dive bomber pilots and 25 torpedo bomber pilots.

I'm heading for the hills with KB. They're just about out of torpedoes and need routine maintenance.

By the way, I heard multiple sinking sounds throughout the afternoon.

SRA
Burma
China


Nothing to report.

Other Stuff

Here's a screen shot of the aftermath:


Image
Attachments
Aftermath..VBattle.jpg
Aftermath..VBattle.jpg (328.48 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16739
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Mike Solli »

Here are the plane losses:


Image
Attachments
PlaneLosses.jpg
PlaneLosses.jpg (97.53 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Chickenboy »

Tuning in late to say: "Nice shootin' Tex!" [8D]
Image
User avatar
ny59giants
Posts: 9902
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:02 pm

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by ny59giants »

Banzai!! [&o]

You need some luck with your subs to bag another CV as those Yorktown Class are tough.

Weather seemed to be on your side, but severe storms didn't help your bomb runs in the PM phase.
[center]Image[/center]
User avatar
witpqs
Posts: 26376
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Argleton

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by witpqs »

Nice going!
User avatar
zuluhour
Posts: 5246
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:16 pm
Location: Maryland

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by zuluhour »

This is the kind of turn that makes my stomach turn as an AFB. I would like to know his CAP and escort
settings. Nice turn sir.
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Lowpe »

Results like this usually end up with the AFB forming the deathstar...

I think in this case, I might be tempted to continue the attack. How I hate all those cruisers, light cruisers and it seems you have the potential to bag quite a few.

I say tempted because I don't have nearly enough information to make an informed decision, but you do. Nothing wrong in seeking the shadows again.

Often times, when the KB appears, it green-lights operations in other parts of the Empire.

Nice search to get the proper targeting and nicely done.[:)]

PS: You see here an early indicator of why you need the Sam.[;)]
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16739
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: zuluhour

This is the kind of turn that makes my stomach turn as an AFB. I would like to know his CAP and escort
settings. Nice turn sir.

Here's the remainder of the my first attack so you can see some heights. My fighters were set at 18k and DBs and TBs at 14k. What settings do you guys use?

Edit: Guess I should add that part. [8|]

Aircraft Attacking:
8 x D4Y1 Judy releasing from 2000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 500 kg SAP Bomb
24 x B6N2 Jill bombing from 14000 feet
Naval Attack: 2 x 250 kg SAP Bomb
10 x D4Y1 Judy releasing from 2000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 500 kg SAP Bomb
9 x B5N2 Kate bombing from 14000 feet
Naval Attack: 2 x 250 kg SAP Bomb
8 x B5N2 Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Naval Attack: 1 x 18in Type 91 Torpedo
5 x D4Y1 Judy releasing from 2000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 500 kg SAP Bomb
17 x B5N2 Kate bombing from 14000 feet
Naval Attack: 2 x 250 kg SAP Bomb
5 x D4Y1 Judy releasing from 3000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 500 kg SAP Bomb
7 x D4Y1 Judy releasing from 1000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 500 kg SAP Bomb
4 x D4Y1 Judy releasing from 2000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 500 kg SAP Bomb
17 x B5N2 Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Naval Attack: 1 x 18in Type 91 Torpedo
3 x B5N1 Kate bombing from 14000 feet
Naval Attack: 2 x 250 kg SAP Bomb
5 x D4Y1 Judy releasing from 3000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 500 kg SAP Bomb
5 x D4Y1 Judy releasing from 1000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 500 kg SAP Bomb

CAP engaged:
VF-3 with F6F-3 Hellcat (5 airborne, 12 on standby, 6 scrambling)
5 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 11000 , scrambling fighters between 11000 and 18000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 33 minutes
VF-6 with F6F-3 Hellcat (6 airborne, 12 on standby, 6 scrambling)
6 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 11000 , scrambling fighters between 11000 and 17000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 34 minutes
VF-71 with F6F-3 Hellcat (4 airborne, 10 on standby, 5 scrambling)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 11000 , scrambling fighters between 7000 and 20000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 34 minutes

New Orleans dead in the water ...
Heavy smoke from fires obscuring CA New Orleans
Fuel storage explosion on CV Wasp
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16739
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants_MatrixForum

Banzai!! [&o]

You need some luck with your subs to bag another CV as those Yorktown Class are tough.

Weather seemed to be on your side, but severe storms didn't help your bomb runs in the PM phase.

I wonder if it was because my TBs were bombing from 14k feet?
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16739
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Results like this usually end up with the AFB forming the deathstar...

I think in this case, I might be tempted to continue the attack. How I hate all those cruisers, light cruisers and it seems you have the potential to bag quite a few.

I say tempted because I don't have nearly enough information to make an informed decision, but you do. Nothing wrong in seeking the shadows again.

Often times, when the KB appears, it green-lights operations in other parts of the Empire.

Nice search to get the proper targeting and nicely done.[:)]

PS: You see here an early indicator of why you need the Sam.[;)]

I ran because he has another CV TF of (I think) 2 CV and 2 CVL. Only Ryujo has torpedoes left and I am low on planes.

Yeah, yeah, I know, focus on the Sam. You probably don't recall but I made the stupid mistake of working on the A7M3, not the M2. I just reset to the M2 about a month or so ago (game time). Currently I have 11 factories but they're only repaired to 4,4,2,2,2,2,2,1,1,0,0. [:(]
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16739
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Mike Solli »

8 Aug 43

Things really quieted down. Our carrier forces separated with a handful of my subs around his damaged ships. I moved them to possible withdrawal directions. We'll see if any intercept tomorrow.

Hiyo and Shoho are safely in Truk's port. Shoho will be completely repaired in 18 days, but Hiyo will take 65 days to complete temporary repairs, then make the long trek to the Home Islands.

KB is 1 day out of Truk. They'll replenish as many planes as they can tomorrow. At that point I'll assess the situation and decide whether or not to disband or head south again.

Right now my best bet is on my subs.

Edit: I changed the screen shot. After reviewing the locations immediately after the battle, I revised my intel.

Well hell, I can't change the file. Sheesh.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
zuluhour
Posts: 5246
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:16 pm
Location: Maryland

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by zuluhour »

I do not like the 11,ooo' CAP setting at all. It seems a "lazy" setting as you will be between a low strike and under a normal strike. While
I vary greatly to the situation, I like to have fighters at three heights on CAP albeit hard to do with only one or two carriers and manage
a strike package. I am not hesitant to break down a fighter squadron or two though.
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16739
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Mike Solli »

Yeah, that does seem rather low for my tastes too.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
nashvillen
Posts: 3835
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:07 am
Location: Christiana, TN

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by nashvillen »

Bravo on your attacks.
Image
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16739
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Mike Solli »

Here's the new screenshot:


Image
Attachments
8Aug.jpg
8Aug.jpg (355.17 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16739
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Mike Solli »

In retrospect (always easy to do), I should have moved to a point 5 hexes north of the smashed CV TF. I could have worked over both today. There is the issue of few torpedoes though. [8|]
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
witpqs
Posts: 26376
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Argleton

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

ORIGINAL: ny59giants_MatrixForum

Banzai!! [&o]

You need some luck with your subs to bag another CV as those Yorktown Class are tough.

Weather seemed to be on your side, but severe storms didn't help your bomb runs in the PM phase.

I wonder if it was because my TBs were bombing from 14k feet?
Notice in the post above the TB's were actually releasing at 200'. Developers said long ago that when it comes to torpedoes the air group setting is for their transit/approach but they drop down to make attack runs.
User avatar
ny59giants
Posts: 9902
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:02 pm

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by ny59giants »

CV/CVL air groups - To a certain degree, your altitude setting revolve around the need to have your DBs between 10k and 15k to be used at DB. Above or below they are are more like LBs when they attack. I may be off by 1k here or there.

With Sam being so far off, you may need to think about making some of your CVs more fighter heavy vs Allied Hellcats to help with survivability. They are going to be equal to better than any of your Zero. It will get worse near end of '43 when the 2nd gen Corsairs come out and get on his CVs.
[center]Image[/center]
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16739
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

ORIGINAL: ny59giants_MatrixForum

Banzai!! [&o]

You need some luck with your subs to bag another CV as those Yorktown Class are tough.

Weather seemed to be on your side, but severe storms didn't help your bomb runs in the PM phase.

I wonder if it was because my TBs were bombing from 14k feet?
Notice in the post above the TB's were actually releasing at 200'. Developers said long ago that when it comes to torpedoes the air group setting is for their transit/approach but they drop down to make attack runs.

Right, I understand that. It's the TBs that are carrying bombs that I was talking about. They remain at 14k feet to bomb. Probably too high to get good results. I'm thinking of dropping the TBs to 9k feet.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16739
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants_MatrixForum

CV/CVL air groups - To a certain degree, your altitude setting revolve around the need to have your DBs between 10k and 15k to be used at DB. Above or below they are are more like LBs when they attack. I may be off by 1k here or there.

With Sam being so far off, you may need to think about making some of your CVs more fighter heavy vs Allied Hellcats to help with survivability. They are going to be equal to better than any of your Zero. It will get worse near end of '43 when the 2nd gen Corsairs come out and get on his CVs.

Yeah, I've been pondering that on and off. I think that you're right. What do I reduce though? DBs or TBs? My first thought is DBs, but those 500kg bombs are awfully nice.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”