The Thread

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

RE: The THREAD!!!

Post by Nikademus »

ORIGINAL: niceguy2005

Nik, will they not put you on the waiting list until you complete those courses?

probably not. they want the courses all completed before doing so. I wrote an appeal email to the director. I think it's kind of crappy that they raise the stats just as i complete the old ones.

User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: The THREAD!!!

Post by DuckofTindalos »

Very, very tired tithe...

That sucks, Nik...
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
rtrapasso
Posts: 22655
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:31 am

RE: The THREAD!!!

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: VSWG

Even bad advertisment is advertisment... [;)]

But it looks like you're right.


Whoops, not completely right... the description of the "nosing over" bothered me - and the registration number is N8487, not N3487...

but here is the real story:

Small Plane Lands In Tree

POSTED: 6:37 pm MST December 7, 2006
UPDATED: 1:08 pm MST December 8, 2006

Email This Story | Print This Story
Sign Up for Breaking News Alerts


COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- A plane landed in a tree Thursday night at Meadowlake Airport in El Paso County.

The pilot was the only person on board, and he survived. His injuries were minor with a cut in his head. He was released at the scene.

Investigators said the pilot was practicing take-offs and landings around 5 p.m., Thursday. When he came in for another landing, he lost power. The pilot tried to restart the engine and it failed, causing it to crash into the tree.


The crash caused the power to go out for about 100 homes in the area.

The airport is located about 15 miles east of Colorado Springs near Falcon, Colo.

Emergency workers closed Judge Orr Road because of debris from the crash.

The plane remained in the tree until National Transportation Safety Board investigators could examine it.

Here's another pic in the article:



Image
Attachments
Planeintree1.jpg
Planeintree1.jpg (15.08 KiB) Viewed 177 times
User avatar
rtrapasso
Posts: 22655
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:31 am

RE: The THREAD!!!

Post by rtrapasso »

Also - here is a link that shows the "original" photo with the story:

http://www.meadowlakeairport.com/INDEX2.html

(pic is toward the bottom)
User avatar
niceguy2005
Posts: 12522
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:53 pm
Location: Super secret hidden base

RE: The THREAD!!!

Post by niceguy2005 »

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

ORIGINAL: niceguy2005

Nik, will they not put you on the waiting list until you complete those courses?

probably not. they want the courses all completed before doing so. I wrote an appeal email to the director. I think it's kind of crappy that they raise the stats just as i complete the old ones.

I agree Nik it's like hitting a moving target. Good luck with the appeal. One last thought, if you can't get the requirement waived maybe you could test out of it.
Image
Artwork graciously provided by Dixie
User avatar
niceguy2005
Posts: 12522
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:53 pm
Location: Super secret hidden base

RE: The THREAD!!!

Post by niceguy2005 »

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

ORIGINAL: VSWG

Even bad advertisment is advertisment... [;)]

But it looks like you're right.


Whoops, not completely right... the description of the "nosing over" bothered me - and the registration number is N8487, not N3487...

but here is the real story:

Small Plane Lands In Tree

POSTED: 6:37 pm MST December 7, 2006
UPDATED: 1:08 pm MST December 8, 2006

Email This Story | Print This Story
Sign Up for Breaking News Alerts


COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- A plane landed in a tree Thursday night at Meadowlake Airport in El Paso County.

The pilot was the only person on board, and he survived. His injuries were minor with a cut in his head. He was released at the scene.

Investigators said the pilot was practicing take-offs and landings around 5 p.m., Thursday. When he came in for another landing, he lost power. The pilot tried to restart the engine and it failed, causing it to crash into the tree.


The crash caused the power to go out for about 100 homes in the area.

The airport is located about 15 miles east of Colorado Springs near Falcon, Colo.

Emergency workers closed Judge Orr Road because of debris from the crash.

The plane remained in the tree until National Transportation Safety Board investigators could examine it.

Here's another pic in the article:



Image
I think I might remember that now.

Small planes fall from the sky on a fairly regular basis around here so its hard to remember them all.
Image
Artwork graciously provided by Dixie
User avatar
rtrapasso
Posts: 22655
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:31 am

RE: The THREAD!!!

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

ORIGINAL: niceguy2005

Nik, will they not put you on the waiting list until you complete those courses?

probably not. they want the courses all completed before doing so. I wrote an appeal email to the director. I think it's kind of crappy that they raise the stats just as i complete the old ones.


T is right - this does suck... changing the rules after the fact isn't right...
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16751
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: The THREAD!!!

Post by Mike Solli »

Well, I finally played a turn last (while watching Ohio State embarass itself [X(]).  Attu finally fell, after about a 3 month seige.  I took 27k prisoners, including 3x RCTs, an art unit, an aviation reg, BF, and 5 other misc units, as well as a PBY unit. [:D]  Unfortunately, it took practically all my available 4th Fleet LCUs and several other units which were earmarked for other places.  I also own Kiska but he has built a large base on Adak.  Eventually, after the base is rebuilt (27k worth of forced labor [:'(]) I have a nice air group waiting to move there.  I'll pummel Adak to the stone age and then decide whether or not to invade. We'll see......
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

RE: The THREAD!!!

Post by Nikademus »

ORIGINAL: niceguy2005



I agree Nik it's like hitting a moving target. Good luck with the appeal. One last thought, if you can't get the requirement waived maybe you could test out of it.

Not if it's math. I already tested. thats the frustrating part. I placed squarely in the Intro to Alegbra catagory and all the Intermediate's require the intro's as a pre-req OR you test to placement. I havn't touched Algebra since HS. Its ridiculous that they require it in the first place.....it doesn't require complex Alegbraic equations to run medical equipment for god's sake. the Anatomy &Physiology.....even the useless sociology i can understand....but Algebra? what changed? they didn't require it years prior.....
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16751
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: The THREAD!!!

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: Nikademus
ORIGINAL: niceguy2005



I agree Nik it's like hitting a moving target. Good luck with the appeal. One last thought, if you can't get the requirement waived maybe you could test out of it.

Not if it's math. I already tested. thats the frustrating part. I placed squarely in the Intro to Alegbra catagory and all the Intermediate's require the intro's as a pre-req OR you test to placement. I havn't touched Algebra since HS. Its ridiculous that they require it in the first place.....it doesn't require complex Alegbraic equations to run medical equipment for god's sake. the Anatomy &Physiology.....even the useless sociology i can understand....but Algebra? what changed? they didn't require it years prior.....

Having spent far too many years in the University environment, I believe it all comes down to $$. The more classes you take the more bucks they make.

When I started college, I'd had 2 years of calculus and they put me into Algebra. I had an extra year of math to take. The only good thing was that it was easy A's for awhile.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
niceguy2005
Posts: 12522
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:53 pm
Location: Super secret hidden base

RE: The THREAD!!!

Post by niceguy2005 »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Well, I finally played a turn last (while watching Ohio State embarass itself [X(]).  Attu finally fell, after about a 3 month seige.  I took 27k prisoners, including 3x RCTs, an art unit, an aviation reg, BF, and 5 other misc units, as well as a PBY unit. [:D]  Unfortunately, it took practically all my available 4th Fleet LCUs and several other units which were earmarked for other places.  I also own Kiska but he has built a large base on Adak.  Eventually, after the base is rebuilt (27k worth of forced labor [:'(]) I have a nice air group waiting to move there.  I'll pummel Adak to the stone age and then decide whether or not to invade. We'll see......
Mike, what's the date?
Image
Artwork graciously provided by Dixie
User avatar
scott64
Posts: 4019
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:34 pm
Location: Colorado
Contact:

RE: The THREAD!!!

Post by scott64 »

Chris
Are you ready for more snow? [X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(]
Lucky for you, tonight it's just me


Any ship can be a minesweeper..once !! :)

http://suspenseandmystery.blogspot.com/
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16751
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: The THREAD!!!

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: niceguy2005

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Well, I finally played a turn last (while watching Ohio State embarass itself [X(]).  Attu finally fell, after about a 3 month seige.  I took 27k prisoners, including 3x RCTs, an art unit, an aviation reg, BF, and 5 other misc units, as well as a PBY unit. [:D]  Unfortunately, it took practically all my available 4th Fleet LCUs and several other units which were earmarked for other places.  I also own Kiska but he has built a large base on Adak.  Eventually, after the base is rebuilt (27k worth of forced labor [:'(]) I have a nice air group waiting to move there.  I'll pummel Adak to the stone age and then decide whether or not to invade. We'll see......
Mike, what's the date?

25 Nov 42........ a date that will live in infamy....... [:D]
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
niceguy2005
Posts: 12522
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:53 pm
Location: Super secret hidden base

RE: The THREAD!!!

Post by niceguy2005 »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

ORIGINAL: Nikademus
Not if it's math. I already tested. thats the frustrating part. I placed squarely in the Intro to Alegbra catagory and all the Intermediate's require the intro's as a pre-req OR you test to placement. I havn't touched Algebra since HS. Its ridiculous that they require it in the first place.....it doesn't require complex Alegbraic equations to run medical equipment for god's sake. the Anatomy &Physiology.....even the useless sociology i can understand....but Algebra? what changed? they didn't require it years prior.....

Having spent far too many years in the University environment, I believe it all comes down to $$. The more classes you take the more bucks they make.

When I started college, I'd had 2 years of calculus and they put me into Algebra. I had an extra year of math to take. The only good thing was that it was easy A's for awhile.
I've seen this sort of thing before. It indicates that the field in general is trying to move to a "more professional" level of expertise. Notice I put it in quotes because its really highly subjective IMO. It would indicate that they want to view the person more as a scientific professional. That's good in the since that it will push salaries for those that get into the field up considerably.

I sort of agree that math courses are often required for more often than they are used. I use my physics degree frequently and while I use the basic physics principals all the time, I seldom sit down and work out the problem, that's what computers are for. Still, there are occassions where it does happen. This last year I have done a serious amount of matrix algebra. BLECk!

Still, it sucks that they are changing the requirements on you. Seems that some sort of accomodation could be worked out like the put you on the waiting list while you take the courses or something.
Image
Artwork graciously provided by Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16751
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: The THREAD!!!

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: scott1964

Chris
Are you ready for more snow? [X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(]

We got snow here in Central Ohio this morning. It stuck in the form of water.... [:D]
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
niceguy2005
Posts: 12522
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:53 pm
Location: Super secret hidden base

RE: The THREAD!!!

Post by niceguy2005 »

WOW mike. I surprised you were able to doing anything offensively by that point in time.
Image
Artwork graciously provided by Dixie
User avatar
niceguy2005
Posts: 12522
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:53 pm
Location: Super secret hidden base

RE: The THREAD!!!

Post by niceguy2005 »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

ORIGINAL: scott1964

Chris
Are you ready for more snow? [X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(]

We got snow here in Central Ohio this morning. It stuck in the form of water.... [:D]
I've been told that we are going to get another 20" of snow here in Denver starting Thursday. I'm supposed to finally have that interview Friday. [8|]
Image
Artwork graciously provided by Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16751
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: The THREAD!!!

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: niceguy2005

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

ORIGINAL: Nikademus
Not if it's math. I already tested. thats the frustrating part. I placed squarely in the Intro to Alegbra catagory and all the Intermediate's require the intro's as a pre-req OR you test to placement. I havn't touched Algebra since HS. Its ridiculous that they require it in the first place.....it doesn't require complex Alegbraic equations to run medical equipment for god's sake. the Anatomy &Physiology.....even the useless sociology i can understand....but Algebra? what changed? they didn't require it years prior.....

Having spent far too many years in the University environment, I believe it all comes down to $$. The more classes you take the more bucks they make.

When I started college, I'd had 2 years of calculus and they put me into Algebra. I had an extra year of math to take. The only good thing was that it was easy A's for awhile.
I've seen this sort of thing before. It indicates that the field in general is trying to move to a "more professional" level of expertise. Notice I put it in quotes because its really highly subjective IMO. It would indicate that they want to view the person more as a scientific professional. That's good in the since that it will push salaries for those that get into the field up considerably.

I sort of agree that math courses are often required for more often than they are used. I use my physics degree frequently and while I use the basic physics principals all the time, I seldom sit down and work out the problem, that's what computers are for. Still, there are occassions where it does happen. This last year I have done a serious amount of matrix algebra. BLECk!

Still, it sucks that they are changing the requirements on you. Seems that some sort of accomodation could be worked out like the put you on the waiting list while you take the courses or something.

Funny story here. In grad school, I had an old fart advisor who made me analyze my data by hand for a couple of weeks so I would understand how that particular type of analysis worked (probit analysis). Anyone who ever did a probit analyis by hand knows it takes about 8 hours to do one by hand. [X(] I did as he told and kept coming up with different numbers than what the computer was telling me. After a couple of weeks of pulling my hair out, my advisor asked me how it was going. I told him of my plight and he took my data, my analysis and the computer analysis and went into his office. I then smelled his pipe (he always smoked a pipe when he was thinking). When I left that day, he was still in there. Turned out that he was doing some by hand himself. He came up with the same results that I did. We had a few conversations with the company that produced the software and eventually found out that they screwed up that program. Lots of people had based lots of research on that faulty program and had to re-analyze it because of us. It turned out that no one had ever analyzed their data by hand. [:D] I made a lot of enemies. [:D]
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

RE: The THREAD!!!

Post by Nikademus »

ORIGINAL: niceguy2005
I've seen this sort of thing before. It indicates that the field in general is trying to move to a "more professional" level of expertise. Notice I put it in quotes because its really highly subjective IMO. It would indicate that they want to view the person more as a scientific professional. That's good in the since that it will push salaries for those that get into the field up considerably.

I sort of agree that math courses are often required for more often than they are used. I use my physics degree frequently and while I use the basic physics principals all the time, I seldom sit down and work out the problem, that's what computers are for. Still, there are occassions where it does happen. This last year I have done a serious amount of matrix algebra. BLECk!

Still, it sucks that they are changing the requirements on you. Seems that some sort of accomodation could be worked out like the put you on the waiting list while you take the courses or something.

Yeah....i figure they are trying to compete more with the more picky and 'presitgious' college that already had such requirements and interviewed for placement as well as requiring top grades for their program. I actually completed my preregs at this college but wasn't going to bother with their program because of their stiff requirements during the interview process (even though i have the A's they want.) Also i didn't have the math they wanted (though they did recently reduce the req from College level Algebra to "intermediate" small favors...) and they also want many hours of hosptial exp...something i have no time for right now. Now this alternate college is bumping up too. It's sad. It may also have to do with market saturation at this time. If the need was as great as for RN's.....they'd probably be tripping over themselves trying to get the programs filled. [:@]

User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16751
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: The THREAD!!!

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: niceguy2005

WOW mike. I surprised you were able to doing anything offensively by that point in time.

Really? Maybe it's my opponent. I've sunk 3 of his CVs (to my Kaga [:(]) and about 10-11 BBs to Fuso. His air power is turning certain locations into the stone age, but the Andaman Islands, Rabaul and Rangoon have very powerful air forces that he can't really touch. I also have some pretty substantial air groups in the Central Pacific. He has a huge air force at PM which is pounding bases in New Guinea.

He can't really send anything to the Central Pacific due to my air and naval power there. Burma is currently a stalemate.

I'm not expanding any more but still hit him occasionally to keep him reacting to me. Not sure how long it'll be worth the loss.

I am very cautious with my air power though. I can count on one hand the number of times I've used my Betties and Nells against something other than ships.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
Post Reply

Return to “The War Room”