Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
seydlitz_slith
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 6:13 am
Location: Danville, IL

RE: Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post by seydlitz_slith »

January 4, 1942

We started off the turn with two good sub attacks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Submarine attack near Toboali at 50,94

Japanese Ships
SS I-158

Allied Ships
xAP West Point, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage



xAP West Point is sighted by SS I-158
SS I-158 launches 8 torpedoes at xAP West Point



Image
Attachments
i158hits..stPoint.jpg
i158hits..stPoint.jpg (523.12 KiB) Viewed 224 times
User avatar
seydlitz_slith
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 6:13 am
Location: Danville, IL

RE: Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post by seydlitz_slith »

And the other one...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Submarine attack near Portsea at 81,172

Japanese Ships
SS I-16

Allied Ships
xAK Iron Master, Shell hits 3, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage



SS I-16 is sighted by xAK Iron Master
SS I-16 attacking on the surface



Image
Attachments
i16vsironmaster.jpg
i16vsironmaster.jpg (570.52 KiB) Viewed 224 times
User avatar
seydlitz_slith
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 6:13 am
Location: Danville, IL

RE: Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post by seydlitz_slith »

According to the ships sunk summary I got both of these ships.



Image
Attachments
shipssunk.jpg
shipssunk.jpg (172.98 KiB) Viewed 224 times
User avatar
seydlitz_slith
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 6:13 am
Location: Danville, IL

RE: Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post by seydlitz_slith »

In the Sea of Japan, my crack Mavis ASW unit has located several subs lurking.



Image
Attachments
seaofjapan.jpg
seaofjapan.jpg (518.1 KiB) Viewed 224 times
User avatar
seydlitz_slith
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 6:13 am
Location: Danville, IL

RE: Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post by seydlitz_slith »

On the Russian front, my planned raids on Rybilov went uncoordinated. My zeroes swept the target first while there were few enemy fighters. Then my escorts didn't show as planned, and finally my bombers flew head on into large numbers of waiting interceptors without escorts in several successive waves. It wasn't pretty.


Image
Attachments
uncoordina..arebad.jpg
uncoordina..arebad.jpg (639.46 KiB) Viewed 224 times
User avatar
seydlitz_slith
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 6:13 am
Location: Danville, IL

RE: Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post by seydlitz_slith »

I lost enough bombers during the turn that my opponent has made the comment about how well his biplanes are doing. That is not good.



Image
Attachments
aclosses.jpg
aclosses.jpg (199.25 KiB) Viewed 224 times
User avatar
seydlitz_slith
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 6:13 am
Location: Danville, IL

RE: Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post by seydlitz_slith »

Not much changed hands during the turn so I will move on to processing my next turn and report back in more detail from it. However, before I go, I thought that I would give you a look at a couple of things worth seeing especially if you are not a Japanese player.

First, Tainan Datai....the unit that produced many of Japan's top aces. They have been fighting for almost a month in the Philippines and Korea.



Image
Attachments
tainandatai.jpg
tainandatai.jpg (231 KiB) Viewed 224 times
User avatar
seydlitz_slith
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 6:13 am
Location: Danville, IL

RE: Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post by seydlitz_slith »

Also, I wanted you to see the state of armament and vehicle pools by the first week of January. This is another reason why I immediately expanded production of both of these pools. You need points in these if you are going to get replacements for your ground units.



Image
Attachments
armamenta..pooluse.jpg
armamenta..pooluse.jpg (210.62 KiB) Viewed 224 times
User avatar
Ketza
Posts: 2228
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:11 am
Location: Columbia, Maryland

RE: Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post by Ketza »

Are you coordinating the same flotillas and air divisions from individual bases? I typically do not have the problem of unescorted bombers.
User avatar
seydlitz_slith
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 6:13 am
Location: Danville, IL

RE: Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post by seydlitz_slith »

ORIGINAL: Ketza

Are you coordinating the same flotillas and air divisions from individual bases? I typically do not have the problem of unescorted bombers.

For the most part, yes. The biggest problem that I am having is the weather. About 60-70% of the time it is cancelling some of the escort missions and cancelling or delaying the bombing missions. This results in raids arriving with no escort and piecemeal over the targets. This is very much limited to this theater and I am pretty certain that it has everything to do with the weather in this zone.
User avatar
Ketza
Posts: 2228
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:11 am
Location: Columbia, Maryland

RE: Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post by Ketza »

Ahh I see. I had not considered that.
User avatar
seydlitz_slith
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 6:13 am
Location: Danville, IL

RE: Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post by seydlitz_slith »

Turn 30, January 5, 1942

Not a very active turn. Very little action. In Russia I had scheduled fighter sweeps only while the bombers recoup their losses. My opponent continued to Bomb Kotou.

Here are the aircraft losses for the turn:



Image
Attachments
aclosses.jpg
aclosses.jpg (202.73 KiB) Viewed 224 times
User avatar
seydlitz_slith
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 6:13 am
Location: Danville, IL

RE: Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post by seydlitz_slith »

The one thing that I did want to comment about was my cointinued attacks on his border fort unit. Fort about a week I have been attacking this unit with overwhelming force but I still can not get it to clear out of the hex or to die. I do not know if this is WAD or a bug, but it is frustrating.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ground combat at 113,43

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 26378 troops, 594 guns, 623 vehicles, Assault Value = 3859

Defending force 1738 troops, 103 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 19

Japanese adjusted assault: 157

Allied adjusted defense: 1

Japanese assault odds: 157 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(+), disruption(-), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
98 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 7 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled


Allied ground losses:
1649 casualties reported
Squads: 68 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 214 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 20 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 71 (71 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Assaulting units:...
5th Infantry Regiment...
9th Division...
25th Division...
27th Electric Engineer Regiment...
11th Tank Regiment...
5th Tank Regiment...
24th Division...
9th Garrison Unit ...
12th Division...
9th Tank Regiment...
10th Tank Regiment...
4th Garrison Unit ...
2nd Manchukuo Distr Division...
57th Division...
8th Recon Regiment...
3rd Tank Regiment...
74th Infantry Regiment...
11th Division...
1st Manchukuo Division...
7th Ind. Engineer Regiment...
10th Medium Field Artillery Regiment...
11th Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion...
9th Ind. Engineer Regiment...
4th Ind. Mountain Gun Regiment...
53rd Field AA Battalion...
4th RF Gun Battalion...
12th Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion...
12th Medium Field Artillery Regiment...
6th RF Gun Battalion...
5th Ind.Hvy.Art Battalion...
27th Fld AA Machinecannon Company...
9th Medium Field Artillery Regiment...
6th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion...
3rd Hvy.Artillery Regiment...
4th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion...
Kwantung Army...
20th Medium Field Artillery Regiment...
4th Medium Field Artillery Regiment...
1st Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion...
13th Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion...
22nd Medium Field Artillery Regiment...
7th Medium Field Artillery Regiment...
7th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion...
Tonei Hvy Gun Regiment...
45th Road Const Co ...
24th Fld AA Machinecannon Company...
3rd Army...
2nd Hvy.Artillery Regiment...
23rd Field AA Machinecannon Company...
20th Fld AA Machinecannon Company...
5th Medium Field Artillery Regiment...
22nd Field AA Machinecannon Company...
28th Field AA Machinecannon Company...
5th Army...
22nd Ind. Engineer Regiment...
2nd Medium Field Artillery Regiment...
54th Field AA Battalion...
Botanko Hvy Gun Regiment...
45th Ind.AA Gun Co ...
2nd JAAF Base Force...
...
Defending units:...
111th Region Fortress...

You would think that odds of 157 to 1 would be more than enough to get the job done....[X(]
User avatar
rattovolante
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:28 am
Location: Italy

RE: Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post by rattovolante »

Apart from 157 to 1, I think it's more relevant that if your report is approximately accurate all that's left in the hex is about 100 troops and 35 guns, about 5-10% of the original unit. And with 90% losses (in just 3 days of combat, if I understand correctly) still they didn't retire nor surrender. This looks unlikely.

Also note that all his losses are destroyed devices, no disablements, this is unusual and might be a bug hint:
ORIGINAL: seydlitz

Defending force 1738 troops, 103 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 19

Allied ground losses:
1649 casualties reported
Squads: 68 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 214 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 20 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 71 (71 destroyed, 0 disabled)

This looks quite suspect.
I wonder if all that's left in the unit are any static devices, and everything else surrendered this turn (thus the destroyed units).
I think you should ask the devs if this is WAD on the support or feedback forums, and/or ask your opponent if he saw anything strange on his side of the FOW.
Smeulders
Posts: 1879
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:13 pm

RE: Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post by Smeulders »

Thought you said a few turns back that your opponent sent in an infantry division to support the fort, did it get pulled back already or was it FOW ?
The AE-Wiki, help fill it out
User avatar
Sardaukar
Posts: 12864
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Finland/Israel

RE: Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post by Sardaukar »

If it's static unit, it cannot retreat, only surrender or get annihilated. If it passes experience and leadership checks against surrender, you'll have to attack until it does not or is annihilated.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Image
User avatar
seydlitz_slith
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 6:13 am
Location: Danville, IL

RE: Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post by seydlitz_slith »

ORIGINAL: rattovolante

Apart from 157 to 1, I think it's more relevant that if your report is approximately accurate all that's left in the hex is about 100 troops and 35 guns, about 5-10% of the original unit. And with 90% losses (in just 3 days of combat, if I understand correctly) still they didn't retire nor surrender. This looks unlikely.

Also note that all his losses are destroyed devices, no disablements, this is unusual and might be a bug hint:
ORIGINAL: seydlitz

Defending force 1738 troops, 103 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 19

Allied ground losses:
1649 casualties reported
Squads: 68 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 214 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 20 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 71 (71 destroyed, 0 disabled)

This looks quite suspect.
I wonder if all that's left in the unit are any static devices, and everything else surrendered this turn (thus the destroyed units).
I think you should ask the devs if this is WAD on the support or feedback forums, and/or ask your opponent if he saw anything strange on his side of the FOW.

I plan to continue to watch this and if the craziness continues I will put a save up on the support forum. I am in the process of attacking a similar fort unit in another hex and I will see what it does also.
User avatar
seydlitz_slith
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 6:13 am
Location: Danville, IL

RE: Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post by seydlitz_slith »

ORIGINAL: Smeulders

Thought you said a few turns back that your opponent sent in an infantry division to support the fort, did it get pulled back already or was it FOW ?

It got beat up pretty bad and retreated after it's first combat, but the fort unit stayed.

This turn, he threw more units into the hex and I also pounded them to the point where they retreated, leaving only the fort unit.

User avatar
seydlitz_slith
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 6:13 am
Location: Danville, IL

RE: Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post by seydlitz_slith »

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

If it's static unit, it cannot retreat, only surrender or get annihilated. If it passes experience and leadership checks against surrender, you'll have to attack until it does not or is annihilated.

If this is not a bug, then the fact that you quote must be what the problem is. I also share your thought and that is why I haven't turned in a bug report yet, but I am starting to wonder. You would think that the unit would die.
Streptokok
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:02 pm

RE: Nomonhan Redux: Seydlitz (Japan) vs. MBatch729 (Allies)

Post by Streptokok »

Bomb it with air unit to add disruption and fatigue, it will surender faster. Doesnt have to be heavy bombing, just attack it to generate disp/fat..
"No plan survives contact with the enemy."
- Field Marshal Helmuth von Moltke

"Nuts!"
- General Anthony McAuliffe
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”