14 May 42
One of those days with lots of action. Very little went as planned. Some good, some not good. All in all, I'm happy with the result.
Things didn't start out well.
Sub attack near Noumea at 114,161
Japanese Ships
SS RO-65, hits 1
Allied Ships
CV Yorktown, Torpedo hits 1 (SYS 7/FLOT 38-37/ENG 0/FIRE 0)
CA Chester
CA Houston
CL Phoenix
DD Tucker
DD Downes
DD Cushing
SS RO-65 launches 6 torpedoes at CV Yorktown
Then the US destroyer TF stormed into Koumac. A short engagement, with minimal damage, except for Monaghan taking a torpedo. The best part of this engagement was the enemy launching torpedoes at destroyers and (mostly) missing. This would be important for later engagements. One of the enemy destroyers was hit by a torpedo, but it was a dud.
Night Time Surface Combat, near Koumac at 113,156, Range 1,000 Yards
Japanese Ships
CL Yura
CL Abukuma
CL Kuma
DD Kamikaze
DD Asakaze, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Asanagi, Shell hits 1
DD Yunagi
Allied Ships
DD Farragut
DD Aylwin
DD Monaghan, Shell hits 2, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Dale
DD Worden
DD MacDonough, Shell hits 3 (SYS 17/FLOT 0/ENG 0/FIRE 0)
DD Dewey, Shell hits 1
Low visibility due to Rain with 0% moonlight
Maximum visibility in Rain and 0% moonlight: 2,000 yards
Still at night, the ABDA light cruiser TF engages.
Night Time Surface Combat, near Koumac at 113,156, Range 1,000 Yards
Japanese aircraft
no flights
Japanese aircraft losses
E7K2 Alf: 1 destroyed
Japanese Ships
CL Yura, Shell hits 10, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
CL Abukuma
CL Kuma
DD Kamikaze, Shell hits 2, heavy fires
DD Asakaze, on fire
DD Asanagi
DD Yunagi
Allied Ships
CL Leander, Shell hits 1
CL Achilles
CL De Ruyter
CL Tromp
CL Emerald, Shell hits 6
DD Gwin
DD Grayson
DD O'Brien, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Walke
DD Benham
Reduced visibility due to Rain with 0% moonlight
Maximum visibility in Rain and 0% moonlight: 2,000 yards
CL Leander got 2 torpedo hits on CL Yura. Leander was a hero in an earlier battle in the war, getting torpedo hits on an enemy ship when other ships, including Boise and Houston, did little. Leander does it again.
The enemy TF then retreated to Belep Islands to the north, only to run into a minesweeper that was checking Belep for mines. DMS Long was hit with 3 shells, but took very little damage SYS 3/FLOT 1-0/ENG 0/FIRE 0.
The ABDA TF then ran into 6 motor torpedo boats at Koumac, engaged again at 2,000 yards, and neither side landed a single shot.
During the daylight,the enemy TF that had retreated to Belep then reappeared at Koumac to fight another round, finding that the ABDA TF was still there.
Day Time Surface Combat, near Koumac at 113,156, Range 14,000 Yards
Japanese Ships
CL Abukuma, Shell hits 3, on fire
CL Kuma, Shell hits 24, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Kamikaze, Shell hits 4
DD Asakaze, Shell hits 14, and is sunk
DD Asanagi, Shell hits 5, on fire, heavy damage
DD Yunagi, Shell hits 4, on fire
Allied Ships
CL Leander, Shell hits 1, on fire (SYS 17/FLOT 2/ENG 6/FIRE 0)
CL Achilles, Shell hits 1, on fire (SYS 20/FLOT 0/ENG 8-1/ FIRE 0)
CL De Ruyter, Shell hits 1 (SYS 16/FLOT 7-2/ENG 0/FIRE 0)
CL Tromp
CL Emerald, Shell hits 6 (SYS 9/FLOT 1-0/ENG 0/FIRE 0)
DD Gwin, Shell hits 1 (SYS 14/FLOT 0/ENG 3-0/FIRE 0)
DD Grayson
DD O'Brien (SYS 5/FLOT 9-4/ENG 6/FIRE 0)
DD Walke, Shell hits 3, on fire (SYS 27/FLOT 11-2/ENG 4/FIRE 0)
DD Benham
Poor visibility due to Rain
Maximum visibility in Rain: 15,000 yards
It was a very long fight, starting at 15,000 yards, moving slowly down to 6,000 yards, then up to 13,000 yards, then down to 9,000, then up to 11,000 yards, then back down to 5,000 yards, up to 6,000 yards, back down to 4,000 yards, then 11,000 and 16,000 and finally at 23,000 yards. A long and incredibly interesting fight to watch. It didn't hurt that the truly ABDA force did well. It may have paid off that I had replaced the TF leader captain with an excellent captain. I don't recall seeing such a mixed nationality force do so well for me before.
2 P-39 squadrons from Noumea swept Koumac, and it went very poorly. Both combat TFs that I sent to Koumac were engaged and neither performed the assigned bombardment mission, so the 100+ enemy fighters were all ready to go. The P-39s paid the price, losing 28 of them, for the loss of 3 Oscars and 3 Zeros. I knew that this could happen, and it was still worth it. By luck, the weather appeared to prevent an Allied carrier strike on enemy ships at Koumac and Belep. I needed those P-39 sweeps to soften up the enemy, so that I wouldn't lose as many carrier planes. I'd also assigned multiple B-17 squadrons in Australia to hit Koumac, and they didn't fly either. B-26s from Norfolk Island hit La Foa's airfield, doing minor damage in bad weather. 8 LB-30s from Australia did hit Belep's port, doing minor damage, but not hitting any ships in port.
Near Luganville, Dutch sub KXVI got a torpedo hit on xAK Sinsyu Maru, sinking her. Sub Tambor missed an xAK near Truk.
Paoshan in Western China got fighter sweeps and multiple bomber groups hitting the airfield. I moved a bunch of fighters in today.
Quite a day. A lot of fun to watch, even if it wasn't all good. The worst part of the day was Yorktown getting hit with a torpedo. This is the 2nd torpedo hit for Yorktown in the war. The first was when US carriers made their first appearance in the South Pacific, and moved east of Luganville trying to flank the enemy to the west. Yorktown is just under 20,000 tons, and can be repaired at Sydney. I flew its fighters to Noumea to help the fight there. The SBDs will be used at various land bases in the South Pacific, lighting up enemy subs on ASW duty, and maybe highlighting where my carriers are when they aren't really there.
The other development was that Tanna was invaded. Tanna is ENE of Noumea, and south of Luganville. It appears that a small unit is unloading there. Incredibly, on the same day, I started to fly in a small NZ unit from Suva. One of the small Fiji units. I am using Catalinas for this, as Tanna has no airfield. I'll use more of them today, with others bringing in supply. If I lose Tanna, I'm not too worried, because I think I can keep bombing the size 1 port to prevent the airfield from ever being built. Tanna is a good distance from Koumac and Luganville, and within B-17 range from Suva. I will also bring in supply using APDs using fast transport mode, and am preparing to bring in a raider unit the same way.
A very, very interesting turn.
