House rules for level bomber naval attacks

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

bradfordkay
Posts: 8686
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2002 8:39 am
Location: Olympia, WA

RE: House rules for level bomber naval attacks

Post by bradfordkay »

IIRC, the skip bombing technique originated in a B-17 unit, but was quickly adapted to the more maneuverable twin engined bombers.



Nik, I have never felt the need to try skip bombing, as I have always felt that in UV/WITP the results from 6000' were "somewhat" high (the usual b(r)ad die rolls would result in snakeyes too often for my taste, but that's not an indictment of the game but rather what I've learned to experience since picking up AH games in the sixties).

Since starting my first CHS game, I have switched my 4E bombers to 11,000' for naval attack in order to hamstring them somewhat. As mentioned before, crucial situations will allow lower attmpts, but VERY rarely. I usually average around 16,000' for land targets.

I will use 4E bombers against naval targets up until the point when I actually have enough 2E bombers to do the job. I must be the typical American commander, but I never feel like I have enough 2E (especially B-25s) bombers in the SoPac and SWPac areas until Feb '43 at the earliest. That's partly because I rarely switch units among historical commands, except for those few being rescued from the PI and NEI.
fair winds,
Brad
User avatar
dtravel
Posts: 4533
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:34 pm

RE: House rules for level bomber naval attacks

Post by dtravel »

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

really?

I don't agree with that accessment. LBA seemed pretty abysmal which includes the occasional hits...hence skip bombing. If players feel no particular compulsion to bomb at very low altitudes, including skip bombing then i'd say thats a good indicator that LBA might be a tad too effective overall. The Japanese merchant captains were certainly not all that concerned as Bismarck Sea developed....they thought it would be SOP for evasion. Imagine their suprise.....

Not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing with me. What I'm saying is that bombing "normally" from 6K and higher, an attack on a convoy may result in one or two ships being hit and damaged. But the convoy continues its mission. The same attack as a 100' strafe/skip-bomb strike will sink or cripple nearly every ship in the convoy, stopping it from completing its mission.
This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

Image
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

RE: House rules for level bomber naval attacks

Post by Nikademus »

I understand that. By a good number of hits, i'm not talking the occasional bomb hit or two for damage. Hit rates are higher, thus more effective.
Speedysteve
Posts: 15990
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Reading, England

RE: House rules for level bomber naval attacks

Post by Speedysteve »

I never feel the need to do it. I'm more than happy with the results I can achieve from 6-10K compared to the potential loss of extra planes, pilots and morale/fatigue hits from 100 feet
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
spence
Posts: 5421
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:56 am
Location: Vancouver, Washington

RE: House rules for level bomber naval attacks

Post by spence »

Taken from a Navy PB4Y-1

Image
Attachments
ACJapShip1.jpg
ACJapShip1.jpg (64.82 KiB) Viewed 223 times
spence
Posts: 5421
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:56 am
Location: Vancouver, Washington

RE: House rules for level bomber naval attacks

Post by spence »

Another low altitude attack by a PB4Y-1

Image
Attachments
JapMership.jpg
JapMership.jpg (116.78 KiB) Viewed 224 times
spence
Posts: 5421
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:56 am
Location: Vancouver, Washington

RE: House rules for level bomber naval attacks

Post by spence »

The USAAF had a thing for high altitude bombing with their 4E types.  The USN was not so afflicted.
spence
Posts: 5421
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:56 am
Location: Vancouver, Washington

RE: House rules for level bomber naval attacks

Post by spence »

PB4Y-1 exchanges greetings with a U-boat (U-848).

Image
Attachments
U848208284.jpg
U848208284.jpg (83.09 KiB) Viewed 223 times
User avatar
RUPD3658
Posts: 6921
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:25 am
Location: East Brunswick, NJ

RE: House rules for level bomber naval attacks

Post by RUPD3658 »

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

B17's are rarely worth using on naval attack except as last resort until the PB4Y's start arriving in numbers they are to valuable in a search role.

You do not know what a great resourse you are not using.

B-17s set at 6000 feet (in the flak gap) have been my only fear so far in my game vs KDonovan. We are in September of 42 and they have been the only thing that could either stop me in my tracks or make me pause and reconsider.

If I send a TF within range it gets plastered. Even the Super KB with extra fighter squadrons can't stop more than a 100 plane B-17 strike without enough getting through to cause harm. 150 would sink ships and 200 would decimate the KB.

If I have a AF with tons of planes it gets plastered. Massed Zeros can barely stop them and Oscars can do little more than damage them. Even when I baet them in the air, enough get through to destroy just as many on the ground.

I have found that my fighters lose 1 plane for every 3 B-17s they manage to shoot down.

B-24s are actually easier to defend against since they are less durable. B-25s are little more than target practice.

The B-17 is the Allied super weapon for the 1st 6 months of the war just as the KB is for the Japanese. I would sleep much better if all Kenny used them for is naval patrol. Catalina and Coronados do just fine in this role.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
Andy Mac
Posts: 12578
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 8:08 pm
Location: Alexandria, Scotland

RE: House rules for level bomber naval attacks

Post by Andy Mac »

Agreed if KB closes then I would class that as an emrgancy ;)
 
Last couple of games I have gotten suckered into sending B17's to India and then no Invasion so I havent had the opportunity to use them on anti sipping
 
The few I have in SOPAC are better on search
User avatar
tsimmonds
Posts: 5490
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:01 pm
Location: astride Mason and Dixon's Line

RE: House rules for level bomber naval attacks

Post by tsimmonds »

ORIGINAL: dtravel

I'd do it against merchants with high (80+, like the manual states) experience 2E bombers but if I had a choice not against warships because of the AAA.  I don't do it at all with 4E because it doesn't "feel" historically right.  (Trying to play by the spirit of the rules, not the loopholes.)

But then none of you listen to me anyways 'cause I only play against the AI.  [:'(]

We listen to ya when you talk sense, like that[;)]
Fear the kitten!
User avatar
dtravel
Posts: 4533
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:34 pm

RE: House rules for level bomber naval attacks

Post by dtravel »

ORIGINAL: irrelevant

ORIGINAL: dtravel

I'd do it against merchants with high (80+, like the manual states) experience 2E bombers but if I had a choice not against warships because of the AAA.  I don't do it at all with 4E because it doesn't "feel" historically right.  (Trying to play by the spirit of the rules, not the loopholes.)

But then none of you listen to me anyways 'cause I only play against the AI.  [:'(]

We listen to ya when you talk sense, like that[;)]

Then you should be listening to me at all times.
This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

Image
spence
Posts: 5421
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:56 am
Location: Vancouver, Washington

RE: House rules for level bomber naval attacks

Post by spence »

From US Army Air Forces in World War II - Chaper 5: Battle of the Bismarck Sea. Photo captioned: "Direct Hit from a B-24". The bomber was well below 10000 ft though I can't judge the altitude.

Image
Attachments
AAFIVp142a.jpg
AAFIVp142a.jpg (72.44 KiB) Viewed 223 times
spence
Posts: 5421
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:56 am
Location: Vancouver, Washington

RE: House rules for level bomber naval attacks

Post by spence »

Another pic from the same sight...captioned "Crippled Destroyer"...apparently taken by a level bomber and once again well below 10000 ft. There are some additional pics showing skip bombing attacks, etc.



Image
Attachments
AAF-IV-p142c.jpg
AAF-IV-p142c.jpg (67.88 KiB) Viewed 223 times
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”