Mafia
Moderator: maddog986
- DuckofTindalos
- Posts: 39781
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
- Location: Denmark
RE: Mafia
The race is by far the hardest part of the game. I think I must have tried about 30 times the first time I finished the game.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
-
undercovergeek
- Posts: 1535
- Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:01 pm
- Location: UK
RE: Mafia
i had to use a cheat to win at the race track - it was that or throw the damn game out of the window - worth it though - i cant remember now but i think after the race track you have to get the car back to the garage undamaged, that pleased the cheat worked and i could move on i drove straight into the wall!!!
- DuckofTindalos
- Posts: 39781
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
- Location: Denmark
RE: Mafia
That undamaged car mission is right before the race, where you have to steal the opponents' super car, get it sabotaged and return it.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
-
undercovergeek
- Posts: 1535
- Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:01 pm
- Location: UK
RE: Mafia
do you not drive the car again after the race?
nice new avatar art by the way
nice new avatar art by the way
- DuckofTindalos
- Posts: 39781
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
- Location: Denmark
RE: Mafia
Finally won the race, with the help of my six year old daughter who was providing the cheering section. Lost count of how many attempts it took me. The fact that your car handles like a bathtub on wheels, especially after it picks up some damage, makes the race quite a challenge.
Now I'm stuck on the part where you have to go and beat the snot out of the thugs who were terrorising Sarah. Paulie, the dumb smuck, keeps getting himself killed [:@]
Haven't enjoyed a game as much as this since GTA:San Andreas. Love the 30's Americana atmosphere. I keep expecting to see Laurel and Hardy strolling down the sidewalk [:D]
Now I'm stuck on the part where you have to go and beat the snot out of the thugs who were terrorising Sarah. Paulie, the dumb smuck, keeps getting himself killed [:@]
Haven't enjoyed a game as much as this since GTA:San Andreas. Love the 30's Americana atmosphere. I keep expecting to see Laurel and Hardy strolling down the sidewalk [:D]
"If you are going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill
The Rose and Crown, a forum for British Gentlemen
The Rose and Crown, a forum for British Gentlemen-
undercovergeek
- Posts: 1535
- Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:01 pm
- Location: UK
RE: Mafia
lol - short and sweet, is it by any chance from an upcoming expansion to a popular game on this here forum?
favourite Mafia mission btw?
mine i think was the airport shoot out
favourite Mafia mission btw?
mine i think was the airport shoot out
- DuckofTindalos
- Posts: 39781
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
- Location: Denmark
RE: Mafia
I like the one at the airport as well, but also the parking garage.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
- JudgeDredd
- Posts: 8362
- Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:28 pm
- Location: Scotland
RE: Mafia
Definitely the garage where you're meeting the booze runners
Just meant to say, I just thought the whole story clicked. Everything about the game, the setting, the music, the atmosphere, the city, the dialog (although cheesey in places)...everything just fitted.
I've found that with a couple of games...if they had a story, they were very enjoyable games. Max Payne was another. And Call of Duty 4...all great stories and were finished by me.
With Mafia...you just do not get bored driving around that city...and breaking the speed limit and getting chased by the cops, only to be able to hide in some alleyway is brilliant!
Just meant to say, I just thought the whole story clicked. Everything about the game, the setting, the music, the atmosphere, the city, the dialog (although cheesey in places)...everything just fitted.
I've found that with a couple of games...if they had a story, they were very enjoyable games. Max Payne was another. And Call of Duty 4...all great stories and were finished by me.
With Mafia...you just do not get bored driving around that city...and breaking the speed limit and getting chased by the cops, only to be able to hide in some alleyway is brilliant!
Alba gu' brath
RE: Mafia
Mafia is one of the best games ever made IMO. It came out of nowhere and was unfortunatley released around the same time as the original GTA which stole all the thunder but Mafia was by far the better game. The atmosphere is frankly incredible and it still looks and sounds as good today as it did back then. A definite must buy for anyone.
Its one of the few games I have played that I didn't want to end. Its worth savouring every bit of.
I agree with JD that a decent storyline helps a lot. COD4 is a case in point.
Its one of the few games I have played that I didn't want to end. Its worth savouring every bit of.
I agree with JD that a decent storyline helps a lot. COD4 is a case in point.
RE: Mafia
I finished it and loved the ending but it was no GTA.
Unbelievable! Are you SURE you are talking about the right Mafia game? There were a few crappy ones under the same name.
I am not a shoot-em-up fan type of player, but I do make exceptions for some games, and Mafia was on the list. I'm not sure, did they really make a Mafia II? I'll definitely check that one out.
That car race level though was impossible. I had to search the net and found that short-cut exploit to finish it.
Unbelievable! Are you SURE you are talking about the right Mafia game? There were a few crappy ones under the same name.
I am not a shoot-em-up fan type of player, but I do make exceptions for some games, and Mafia was on the list. I'm not sure, did they really make a Mafia II? I'll definitely check that one out.
That car race level though was impossible. I had to search the net and found that short-cut exploit to finish it.


King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.
- JudgeDredd
- Posts: 8362
- Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:28 pm
- Location: Scotland
RE: Mafia
There was a shortcut exploit??? [X(]ORIGINAL: Obsolete
I finished it and loved the ending but it was no GTA.
Unbelievable! Are you SURE you are talking about the right Mafia game? There were a few crappy ones under the same name.
I am not a shoot-em-up fan type of player, but I do make exceptions for some games, and Mafia was on the list. I'm not sure, did they really make a Mafia II? I'll definitely check that one out.
That car race level though was impossible. I had to search the net and found that short-cut exploit to finish it.
Great game...great ending.
They haven't made Mafia II yet...it's in development as far as I know.
I never played GTA, but if it's beter than Mafia...WOW. Are you on about the original GTA, or the new one or what? AFAIK the first couple were top down games weren't they?
Alba gu' brath
RE: Mafia
ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd
I never played GTA, but if it's beter than Mafia...WOW. Are you on about the original GTA, or the new one or what? AFAIK the first couple were top down games weren't they?
The first two were top down, the series went 3d with GTA III. I haven't played the latest version (believe its a console only release), but the 5th game in the series GTA:San Andreas is probably one of the best games I have ever played. Definitely better than Mafia, and I really love Mafia! Great story line, great graphics, huge environment and freedom to roam where you like throughout the game.
You can pick it up in Game for £15. Money well spent. [:)]
"If you are going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill
The Rose and Crown, a forum for British Gentlemen
The Rose and Crown, a forum for British Gentlemen- JudgeDredd
- Posts: 8362
- Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:28 pm
- Location: Scotland
RE: Mafia
Well if GTA:SA was better than Mafia, then I will most definitely look into itORIGINAL: Mac67
ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd
I never played GTA, but if it's beter than Mafia...WOW. Are you on about the original GTA, or the new one or what? AFAIK the first couple were top down games weren't they?
The first two were top down, the series went 3d with GTA III. I haven't played the latest version (believe its a console only release), but the 5th game in the series GTA:San Andreas is probably one of the best games I have ever played. Definitely better than Mafia, and I really love Mafia! Great story line, great graphics, huge environment and freedom to roam where you like throughout the game.
You can pick it up in Game for £15. Money well spent. [:)]
Thx
Alba gu' brath
-
undercovergeek
- Posts: 1535
- Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:01 pm
- Location: UK
RE: Mafia
ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd
There was a shortcut exploit??? [X(]
i think you had to complete the first lap, and then you could come in through the pits or something for the other 3 laps and you would be out in front each time - i remember it involved driving round an obstacle, a log or something - so far in past now.
- JudgeDredd
- Posts: 8362
- Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:28 pm
- Location: Scotland
RE: Mafia
I remember it now...but anytime I used it, it didn't count my lap...but then I probably didn't wait until the second lap and used it on the first...
I beat it fair and square...but it took me a very long time...and I did look for cheats to help...
I beat it fair and square...but it took me a very long time...and I did look for cheats to help...
Alba gu' brath
- JudgeDredd
- Posts: 8362
- Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:28 pm
- Location: Scotland
RE: Mafia
Nope...fair and square.
I didn't even know there was a patch for it until I recently re-bought it!
But I do playing racing games as well as strategy games, and have a wheel and pedals for my computer...so it was likely alot easier for me, though I still found it damned difficult
I didn't even know there was a patch for it until I recently re-bought it!
But I do playing racing games as well as strategy games, and have a wheel and pedals for my computer...so it was likely alot easier for me, though I still found it damned difficult
Alba gu' brath
- JudgeDredd
- Posts: 8362
- Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:28 pm
- Location: Scotland
RE: Mafia
Just picked up GTA San Andreas today, from Steam...DD for $13.
It's good. Very, very free. Great city with quite a few things you can interact with. And it has a story I'm interested in...so looks like it might be on my hard drive for a while. I've already played it for about 3 hours today.
It's good. Very, very free. Great city with quite a few things you can interact with. And it has a story I'm interested in...so looks like it might be on my hard drive for a while. I've already played it for about 3 hours today.
Alba gu' brath


