ORIGINAL: jwilkerson
In general, the "defensive split" tactics says that if you are weaker than the enemy - you split up your forces - so that if one group is trapped - you only lose one small group - rather than losing everything.
A fuller description of the paradigm might be:
If your "first shot" (first attack) can probably overwhelm the enemy, then concentrate enough firepower to generate this "first effective strike". If it doubtful whether your "first shot" can overwhelem the enemy, then split up your forces so that if the enemy overwhelms you - he will find it more difficult to destroy your entire force.
So this is the basic idea (as eloquently described in Captain Wayne P. Hughes "Fleet Tactics").
==
In WITP and AE there is a specific implementation - especially for the Allies - which says "Always go to battle with 1 CV per TF". By doing this - especially in WITP - you can avoid the "CV Strike Penalty". This tactic is most effective if all of the CV TFs are in the same hex. So have one TF (the slowest) be the leader and have all the other TFs follow.
I practiced this literally hundreds of times before being comfortable that I could use it in a game. However, since I never get to play the Allies (except when testing), my only benefit from the testing was to enable me to teach my opponents the tactic so they could use it against me. But it did dramatically reduce the probability of a lop-sided Japanese CV battle victory - which meant that the games could then proceed past 1942.
Thanks for the insight! The Force is truly strong in you, Obi-Wan! [&o]
Actually, I already intuitively use this tactic, since it's a special case of the general dispersal tactic.Considered to be rather gamey by some, splitting up your forces in small units used to be particularly handy when trying to run from superior forces. Wondering though if this is still as useful in AE as it was before...
I've seen surface combat TFs intercept multiple small TFs in one turn and obliterate them one by one. The react routines seem to allow for multiple engagements in one turn, which is a good thing I think.
And as for air strikes: they are still limited to one strike per air phase per raid combination (I think). So funnily, in order to counter TF dispersal tactics, you should look for the opposite of what many people try to do: instead of organizing one massive strike, it might be much more effective to organize as many (smaller) raids as possible...I suppose this can be done by splitting up your carriers as well, setting different altitudes, ... in short everything to avoid coordination [:)].
Cheers,
Moss