HPS Digital Downloads?
Moderator: maddog986
- Yogi the Great
- Posts: 1949
- Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:28 pm
- Location: Wisconsin
RE: HPS Digital Downloads?
Speaking of HPS, anyone else having trouble getting to the site? I have tried several times this morning and get an unable to connect.
On the discussion, I still prefer to always get a hard copy of the game. I don't like load restrictions. I have never minded having to put the CD in to play a game. (although HPS has gotten rid of CD required on most games now). Being an old has-been I also like a printed game manual with the game. (something HPS doesn't offer)
My preference for what it is worth is the often offered Matrix option of digital download plus hard copy. Although I usually am happy to just order a hard copy as I can wait the extra days without a crisis.
Sadly, steam and other types of DRM are probably here to stay. I have yet to buy any steam game and am so far resisting Tiller Software even though I have more HPS Tiller games then any other. Ignoring Tillar Software will become harder for me as time goes on I suppose if that "must have" title come up and/or I have all the HPS titles I want to collect.
Once again, I find these DRM discussions interesting, but don't see why we should be offended or get upset over our individual preferences. If you like Tiller's DRM please go for it. If you don't I understand. Either way, I won't be offended or upset with anyone. The market will eventually determine if and when a system will survive.
On the discussion, I still prefer to always get a hard copy of the game. I don't like load restrictions. I have never minded having to put the CD in to play a game. (although HPS has gotten rid of CD required on most games now). Being an old has-been I also like a printed game manual with the game. (something HPS doesn't offer)
My preference for what it is worth is the often offered Matrix option of digital download plus hard copy. Although I usually am happy to just order a hard copy as I can wait the extra days without a crisis.
Sadly, steam and other types of DRM are probably here to stay. I have yet to buy any steam game and am so far resisting Tiller Software even though I have more HPS Tiller games then any other. Ignoring Tillar Software will become harder for me as time goes on I suppose if that "must have" title come up and/or I have all the HPS titles I want to collect.
Once again, I find these DRM discussions interesting, but don't see why we should be offended or get upset over our individual preferences. If you like Tiller's DRM please go for it. If you don't I understand. Either way, I won't be offended or upset with anyone. The market will eventually determine if and when a system will survive.
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
- 06 Maestro
- Posts: 3997
- Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:50 pm
- Location: Nevada, USA
RE: HPS Digital Downloads?
ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great
Once again, I find these DRM discussions interesting, but don't see why we should be offended or get upset over our individual preferences. If you like Tiller's DRM please go for it. If you don't I understand. Either way, I won't be offended or upset with anyone. The market will eventually determine if and when a system will survive.
You are far too rational, what's the matter with you-you must have had your rabies shots.[;)]
There does seem to be a problem with the HPS site this morning-it is not available.
Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.
Thomas Jefferson
Thomas Jefferson
RE: HPS Digital Downloads?
ORIGINAL: 06 Maestro
There does seem to be a problem with the HPS site this morning-it is not available.
Their DRM'ed server software probably couldn't connect to the activation server anymore [;)]
Seriously : might have something to do with them promising to offer digital download for all their titles - this would require a rather substantial website update, which could have run into a snag.
Greetz,
Eddy Sterckx
- V22 Osprey
- Posts: 1593
- Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:07 pm
- Location: Corona, CA
RE: HPS Digital Downloads?
ORIGINAL: sterckxe
ORIGINAL: 06 Maestro
There does seem to be a problem with the HPS site this morning-it is not available.
Their DRM'ed server software probably couldn't connect to the activation server anymore [;)]
Seriously : might have something to do with them promising to offer digital download for all their titles - this would require a rather substantial website update, which could have run into a snag.
Greetz,
Eddy Sterckx
That's what I was thinking-possible site update that might have something to do with DD. I can't get HPS either.


Art by rogueusmc.
RE: HPS Digital Downloads?
I just bought Modern War! I guess the DRM wasn't able to stop my itch.
Installed in both my PC and laptop.
Installed in both my PC and laptop.
RE: HPS Digital Downloads?
Well, I don't like DRMs other than serial numbers. I bought Arcanum RPG many years ago and it would not work with 3 different computers I owned because of the DRM and the CD ROM drives I had. I actually had to find a CD crack in order to play a game that I owned! CRAZY. Tech support would not even return emails or help me.
I have since bought the game a second time from GOG because it's a great game and doesn't have DRM. I think long term having DRM really hurts sells. This is the same reason I have not bought Risen, Gothic 4 or any of the new John Tiller games.
DRMs that hurt the real users of the games means no sell for me. It's a personal choice that I think a lot of people are starting to make.
-Mike
I have since bought the game a second time from GOG because it's a great game and doesn't have DRM. I think long term having DRM really hurts sells. This is the same reason I have not bought Risen, Gothic 4 or any of the new John Tiller games.
DRMs that hurt the real users of the games means no sell for me. It's a personal choice that I think a lot of people are starting to make.
-Mike
- V22 Osprey
- Posts: 1593
- Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:07 pm
- Location: Corona, CA
RE: HPS Digital Downloads?
ORIGINAL: jomni
I just bought Modern War! I guess the DRM wasn't able to stop my itch.
Installed in both my PC and laptop.
Thanks jomni. This "itch" is whats making John Tiller think his DRM is actually working. Because of this, he may never take it off.


Art by rogueusmc.
RE: HPS Digital Downloads?
ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey
ORIGINAL: jomni
I just bought Modern War! I guess the DRM wasn't able to stop my itch.
Installed in both my PC and laptop.
Thanks jomni. This "itch" is whats making John Tiller think his DRM is actually working. Because of this, he may never take it off.
Yeah thanks jomni! [8|]
X3:Universe of games rules them all!! Xtra coming soon X3:REBIRTH 4th qtr 2011 YAY!
- Yogi the Great
- Posts: 1949
- Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:28 pm
- Location: Wisconsin
RE: HPS Digital Downloads?
Just checked, HPS site still seems to be down. Must be having major problems.
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
- RyanCrierie
- Posts: 1327
- Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:15 am
- Contact:
RE: HPS Digital Downloads?
Sadly, steam and other types of DRM are probably here to stay.
Steam at least has some pretty awesome sales during the holidays, so you can stock up on titles each year.
I'm leery of paying full price (>$29.99) for a game on steam, because of the fact my account could be lost or compromised and I can't have my games anymore. But if I'm paying a couple bucks or getting a pack of four games for ten bucks...this becomes less of an issue.
RE: HPS Digital Downloads?
I prefer G.O.G. to steam. Ability to re-download games, no DRM and lot's of classics.
Yeah. I had similar problems with some games under Wine. Not working because of copy protection. Also, swapping CDs is tedious and adds a risk of scratching the CD. I stopped playing some games because I can't be bothered to search for their disks and to play the whole disk swapping thing when I want to play another game.ORIGINAL: boatrigm
Well, I don't like DRMs other than serial numbers. I bought Arcanum RPG many years ago and it would not work with 3 different computers I owned because of the DRM and the CD ROM drives I had. I actually had to find a CD crack in order to play a game that I owned! CRAZY. Tech support would not even return emails or help me.
RE: HPS Digital Downloads?
The HPS server crashed and Scott is in the process of trying to get it back up and running.
There's a couple misconceptions about the DRM from JTS in this thread too. One of which was corrected, its 2 concurrent activations - not 2 activations only. But also, you don't have to be connected to the Internet to play - only for your initial activation.
Sorry several of you seem to have serious heart burn about this method, but it is not likely to change. The games are selling decently to customers all over the world. While its not desired for any customer to depart the fold - changes must be made to progress with the world-wide marketplace. JTS will provide the best support possible and will not leave any customer hanging if they get into a bind. The last 10+ years of support will back up that claim. No one else stands behind their products the way JTS has, and will continue to.
There's a couple misconceptions about the DRM from JTS in this thread too. One of which was corrected, its 2 concurrent activations - not 2 activations only. But also, you don't have to be connected to the Internet to play - only for your initial activation.
Sorry several of you seem to have serious heart burn about this method, but it is not likely to change. The games are selling decently to customers all over the world. While its not desired for any customer to depart the fold - changes must be made to progress with the world-wide marketplace. JTS will provide the best support possible and will not leave any customer hanging if they get into a bind. The last 10+ years of support will back up that claim. No one else stands behind their products the way JTS has, and will continue to.
- Yogi the Great
- Posts: 1949
- Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:28 pm
- Location: Wisconsin
RE: HPS Digital Downloads?
ORIGINAL: rahamy
The HPS server crashed and Scott is in the process of trying to get it back up and running.
Sorry several of you seem to have serious heart burn about this method, but it is not likely to change. The games are selling decently to customers all over the world. While its not desired for any customer to depart the fold - changes must be made to progress with the world-wide marketplace.
Thanks for the note on HPS server, I look forward to it's return. I have several more Tiller HPS games to buy, although I will probably use NWS for price reasons.
On the latter, it does look like at least for now you are going to have some customers depart the fold. I am one of those, but as I said I may break down if no other choice in the future. Once again, in the end the market will determine if the system will be profitable or not. As for me, either way I wish you would offer the hard copies as well like HPS was doing.
Thanks again and best wishes to HPS and Tiller software both.
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
RE: HPS Digital Downloads?
Rahamy, are there any plans in process to have a Deactivate/Active process in the game directory? So you don't have to install the game to activate? Kind of like Scourge of War does, but you'd be better, because there's two concurrent activations?
RE: HPS Digital Downloads?
Probably not - that's why the second activation was added, to prevent people from having to juggle between their desktop and laptop.
RE: HPS Digital Downloads?
Some of us have more than two computers [;)] not saying, I use more than my desktop or my laptop most of the time.. but say I wanted to play it on one of my kids computers in the playroom.. it would be nice not to have to do a full install... see this is the nice thing about Matrix/Steam/GamersGate.. I can install on any computer in the house... I think two is reasonable.. but would be nice to have a quick and easy deactivate process..
- Yogi the Great
- Posts: 1949
- Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:28 pm
- Location: Wisconsin
RE: HPS Digital Downloads?
Must have been a major server crash at HPS, as of a few minutes ago the site was still down.
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
- Yogi the Great
- Posts: 1949
- Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:28 pm
- Location: Wisconsin
RE: HPS Digital Downloads?
Looks like his morning HPS is back, did not notice any description yet of what caused the problem though.
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg







