OT: Opening Day

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Lifer
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2003 3:37 am
Location: East Coast, USA

RE: OT: Opening Day

Post by Lifer »

George Will has a baseball quiz up for his regular column.  Couldn't answer one question although I did find number 31 interesting.

http://patriotpost.us/opinion/george-wi ... the-plate/

Greg
Man does not enter battle to fight, but for victory. He does everything that he can to avoid the first and obtain the second.
Ardant du Picq
Schanilec
Posts: 4038
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:30 pm
Location: Grand Forks, ND

RE: OT: Opening Day

Post by Schanilec »

Roger Maris. North Dakota boy. Every year the Yankees (past and present) and other big leaguers (past and present) go to Fargo for the Roger Maris Golf Tournement. All proceeds go to the Roger Maris Cancer Center.
This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.
User avatar
USSAmerica
Posts: 19211
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:32 am
Location: Graham, NC, USA
Contact:

RE: OT: Opening Day

Post by USSAmerica »

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

By the way, baseball was the source of one of my favorite quotes of all time.

In commenting on Braves catcher Bruce Benedict, who was unusually slow even for a catcher, Tommy Lasorda, the not-so-loveable but oh-so-quotable manager of the Los Angeles Dodgers, said: 'In a race with a pregnant woman he'd come in third."


I think it was Earl Weaver who said: Our third basemen is 20 years old, and let me tell you in 10 years he has a good chance of being 30"

Earl was the best! "We'll win with pitching, defense, and the 3 run homer!" [8D]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Image
Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
User avatar
USSAmerica
Posts: 19211
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:32 am
Location: Graham, NC, USA
Contact:

RE: OT: Opening Day

Post by USSAmerica »

ORIGINAL: Lifer

George Will has a baseball quiz up for his regular column.  Couldn't answer one question although I did find number 31 interesting.

http://patriotpost.us/opinion/george-wi ... the-plate/

Greg

Very tough, but fun quiz. George Will is a great baseball fan.

#31 is the only one that I think I got right. [:D]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Image
Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
Lifer
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2003 3:37 am
Location: East Coast, USA

RE: OT: Opening Day

Post by Lifer »

I work as a manager in a tire and automotive shop.  Last Nov we had a gentleman come in and was talking to another customer about baseball and the players in the '60s, I stalked him on google after he left.  Turns out he was a pitcher for the Yankees, Astros and Oakland.  OT, I also had the center for the New Orleans Saints (Goodwin) come in and I sold him a couple of tires. I had a 'here's your sign' moment.  He had a huge gold and diamond ring on and I asked him about it.  He said it was a Super Bowl ring.  I asked if he played in the SB and he said 'yeah with New Orleans'. Shook his hand and ran his Visa card.

Greg
Man does not enter battle to fight, but for victory. He does everything that he can to avoid the first and obtain the second.
Ardant du Picq
User avatar
Bullwinkle58
Posts: 11297
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:47 pm

RE: OT: Opening Day

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: USS America


[#31 is the only one that I think I got right. [:D]

I knew #10. Made the papers here.
The Moose
CaptDave
Posts: 654
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2002 9:11 pm
Location: Federal Way, WA

RE: OT: Opening Day

Post by CaptDave »

ORIGINAL: Lifer

George Will has a baseball quiz up for his regular column.  Couldn't answer one question although I did find number 31 interesting.

http://patriotpost.us/opinion/george-wi ... the-plate/

Greg

I got either three or four of them, as I recall (definitely the Ernie Banks and Hank Aaron questions, but don't remember what else by now).

Hope springs eternal for this Cubs/Mariners fan. [8|]
mike scholl 1
Posts: 1265
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:20 pm

RE: OT: Opening Day

Post by mike scholl 1 »

As a life-long Cardinals fan, I'm not sure how to feel about Albert Pujols' opening day performance.  Hated to see the team lose (and look bad doing it), but took a perverse pleasure in watching Albert try to make his case as "a 30 million a year" man by going 0 for 5, stranding a pile of runners, and hitting into three double plays.  Maybe a few more games like that will cause him to pull his head out of his ego and come to his senses.  Mixed emotions at best.
User avatar
tocaff
Posts: 4765
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:30 pm
Location: USA now in Brasil

RE: OT: Opening Day

Post by tocaff »

Short careers and crazy money thrown at players so AP is right to seek as much as he can get, especially since he's played all of these years for the Cards at way below market value and didn't complain about it.  Besides if the press was right the Cards lowballed him on their last offer.
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
User avatar
The Gnome
Posts: 1215
Joined: Fri May 17, 2002 2:52 am
Location: Philadelphia, PA

RE: OT: Opening Day

Post by The Gnome »

As a lifelong Phillies fan, and student of self inflicted pain, it's a pleasure to see the Fighten's start strong. Tough to see the Yankees beat up on Detroit earlier today. Damn Yankees, ptooey.
User avatar
USSAmerica
Posts: 19211
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:32 am
Location: Graham, NC, USA
Contact:

RE: OT: Opening Day

Post by USSAmerica »

ORIGINAL: mike scholl 1

As a life-long Cardinals fan, I'm not sure how to feel about Albert Pujols' opening day performance.  Hated to see the team lose (and look bad doing it), but took a perverse pleasure in watching Albert try to make his case as "a 30 million a year" man by going 0 for 5, stranding a pile of runners, and hitting into three double plays.  Maybe a few more games like that will cause him to pull his head out of his ego and come to his senses.  Mixed emotions at best.

I just scored in the luck of the draw with my fantasy baseball league and was able to draft first overall. With the first overall pick, there is no other player in both leagues that even comes close to Pujols. He's head and shoulders above the next tier of players. I have no mixed emotions. Let's go Cardinals! Let's go Albert! [8D]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Image
Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
mike scholl 1
Posts: 1265
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:20 pm

RE: OT: Opening Day

Post by mike scholl 1 »

ORIGINAL: USS America

ORIGINAL: mike scholl 1

As a life-long Cardinals fan, I'm not sure how to feel about Albert Pujols' opening day performance.  Hated to see the team lose (and look bad doing it), but took a perverse pleasure in watching Albert try to make his case as "a 30 million a year" man by going 0 for 5, stranding a pile of runners, and hitting into three double plays.  Maybe a few more games like that will cause him to pull his head out of his ego and come to his senses.  Mixed emotions at best.

I just scored in the luck of the draw with my fantasy baseball league and was able to draft first overall. With the first overall pick, there is no other player in both leagues that even comes close to Pujols. He's head and shoulders above the next tier of players. I have no mixed emotions. Let's go Cardinals! Let's go Albert! [8D]

I'd like to see him playing for the Cardinals for the next 10 years as well. But his agent and his ego have him asking for an amount of money that St. Louis just can't afford to pay..., unless they want to take the field as "Albert Pujols and the 8 Triple A Prospects." And he pulls this right after the Cardinals spent a ton of money getting Matt Holliday to provide him some protection in the line-up. Nobody is asking him to go to the "poor house". He could take whatever St. Louis thought they could afford and his great grandchildren would never have to work a day in their lives. He's asking for "ego money"..., and there are only about 3-5 teams (with filthy rich pockets) who can pay that and remain competitive. It stinks on ice...
User avatar
tocaff
Posts: 4765
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:30 pm
Location: USA now in Brasil

RE: OT: Opening Day

Post by tocaff »

Pujols has a little problem in that the Yankees, Red Sox and Phillies have first base taken care of by high priced players.  Unless somebody among the 2 former mentioned teams wants a hugely expensive DH the field is less than promising for Albert unless somebody unexpected steps up with loads of cash.
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
User avatar
Hanzberger
Posts: 925
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:16 pm
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Contact:

RE: OT: Opening Day

Post by Hanzberger »

I'll take Ryan Howard over Albert anyday. Ryan has a great atittude and is still on the upside, Albert has peaked. Go undefeated PHILS~! 3-0 ......let's see.......our former #1 ace goes for game 4 HAHAHAHAAA[:D][:D][:D]
Playing Scen 2 vs Ai currently

Japan AC wire chart here
tm.asp?m=2769286&mpage=1&key=?
User avatar
The Gnome
Posts: 1215
Joined: Fri May 17, 2002 2:52 am
Location: Philadelphia, PA

RE: OT: Opening Day

Post by The Gnome »

First opening season sweep for the Phils since 1899. I'm optimistic - cautiously.
User avatar
Kubel
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:07 am
Location: Canadian mosquito infested swamp

RE: OT: Opening Day

Post by Kubel »

I was an Angles fan, then they ruined the stadium bringing the Oakland Raiders to Anaheim then they changes the name.......GO YANKEES !!!
Don
"Our profession should always be crowned by heroic death in battle" Generalfeldmarschall Fedor von Bock
User avatar
USSAmerica
Posts: 19211
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:32 am
Location: Graham, NC, USA
Contact:

RE: OT: Opening Day

Post by USSAmerica »

ORIGINAL: Kubel

I was an Angles fan, then they ruined the stadium bringing the Oakland Raiders to Anaheim then they changes the name.......GO YANKEES !!!

Never!!! There is never ANY excuse to root for the yankees! I would rather root for the Dallas Cowboys before I would root for the Yankees, no matter what my home team does.
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Image
Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
User avatar
Bullwinkle58
Posts: 11297
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:47 pm

RE: OT: Opening Day

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: USS America

Never!!! There is never ANY excuse to root for the yankees! I would rather root for the Dallas Cowboys before I would root for the Yankees, no matter what my home team does.

Twins are there for a series. The Yankees are the Twins' doom most years. We'll see.

The Red Sox sure stunk up the joint in their first series.
The Moose
User avatar
Hanzberger
Posts: 925
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:16 pm
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Contact:

RE: OT: Opening Day

Post by Hanzberger »

Should be an interesting series this weekend for the Phils, playing Atlanta. But first we have to stomp the Mets.
Playing Scen 2 vs Ai currently

Japan AC wire chart here
tm.asp?m=2769286&mpage=1&key=?
User avatar
USSAmerica
Posts: 19211
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:32 am
Location: Graham, NC, USA
Contact:

RE: OT: Opening Day

Post by USSAmerica »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

ORIGINAL: USS America

Never!!! There is never ANY excuse to root for the yankees! I would rather root for the Dallas Cowboys before I would root for the Yankees, no matter what my home team does.

Twins are there for a series. The Yankees are the Twins' doom most years. We'll see.

The Red Sox sure stunk up the joint in their first series.

The Twins are my second favorite team, behind my hometown Orioles. I lived in Rochester for 5 years and actually got to make a Spring Training trip to Ft. Myers one year. [8D]

I was at the 'Dome for Cal Ripken's 3000'th career hit. It doesn't get much better than that. [:)]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Image
Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
Post Reply

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”