Why dosnt the game have cut scenes and propaganda movies to add content or flavor?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Alpha77
Posts: 2196
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:38 am

RE: Why dosnt the game have cut scenes and propaganda movies to add content or flavor?

Post by Alpha77 »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Let's all take a test. Do you let the opening credits historical film clips run 'til they're done? If you do, you might as well take up smoking cigarettes, they won't shorten your life as much. [:'(]

No I deleted the whole folder with videos etc. Had done the same with TOAW or SPWAW lol[;)] And I smoke now "natural" tobacco...still unhealthy but should have less chemicals.
mind_messing
Posts: 3394
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:59 am

RE: Why dosnt the game have cut scenes and propaganda movies to add content or flavor?

Post by mind_messing »

In "smaller" games this would work well. Eg. Steel Panthers has also leaders and units have mor & exp. In AACW on the rebels side it would frustrating to have Lee killed early on. About the alcoholic thing, wasnt Grant a drinker ? And did not Lincoln say "I do not care what he drinks - he fights" (or to that effect)

I was thinking of May-Mayevsky from RuS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_May-Mayevsky
User avatar
Bullwinkle58
Posts: 11297
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:47 pm

RE: Why dosnt the game have cut scenes and propaganda movies to add content or flavor?

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Let's all take a test. Do you let the opening credits historical film clips run 'til they're done? If you do, you might as well take up smoking cigarettes, they won't shorten your life as much. [:'(]

I watch them about every sixty days.
The Moose
User avatar
Sheytan
Posts: 811
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:53 pm

RE: Why dosnt the game have cut scenes and propaganda movies to add content or flavor?

Post by Sheytan »

LOL natural is best of course!
ORIGINAL: Alpha77

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Let's all take a test. Do you let the opening credits historical film clips run 'til they're done? If you do, you might as well take up smoking cigarettes, they won't shorten your life as much. [:'(]

No I deleted the whole folder with videos etc. Had done the same with TOAW or SPWAW lol[;)] And I smoke now "natural" tobacco...still unhealthy but should have less chemicals.
User avatar
zuluhour
Posts: 5246
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:16 pm
Location: Maryland

RE: Why dosnt the game have cut scenes and propaganda movies to add content or flavor?

Post by zuluhour »

Back to the point, The first incarnation of this game (I think it had to be) was Victory in the Pacific (on little floppies, lots of them), there were cut out
scenes. Fun for the first 10 turns, then zzzzzzzzzz.  I bought it somewhere in the early 90's I think. The game provides me with unlimited opportunities
to explore via books and the web countless questions I never thought to ask or research. The game can be a key to unlock all sorts of military
history from a period which continues to fascinate me. I don't think I ever thanked anyone but Alfred and Michael M for giving me such a huge bang
for my buck. Here is my hats off to all the folks that made it happen and still stop in and .....visit us. If my copy of this game was a car, I'd have half a million
miles on it and still driving. Would not have happened without all the freakN detail. ramble ramble on.
User avatar
Yaab
Posts: 5615
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:09 pm
Location: Poland

RE: Why dosnt the game have cut scenes and propaganda movies to add content or flavor?

Post by Yaab »

Preach it, brother!
wegman58
Posts: 460
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:15 pm
Location: Edina, MN (FROM the Bronx)

RE: Why dosnt the game have cut scenes and propaganda movies to add content or flavor?

Post by wegman58 »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

ORIGINAL: wegman58

Reading this thread I'm thinking there is ONE thing I'd like in the combat reports (or if I'm missing it I'd like to know)

Delta for ship experience; leader stats (if they change); LCU experience level from the previous turn. I don't care what battle it came from (if more than one); I'd just like the delta without having to record every unit and looking.

Combat is combat, any number of things contribute to the results. The deltas would be useful though.

You can at least see that in Tracker, since it does the turn-by-turn bookkeeping for you.


Thanks. Another reason to try Tracker.
Bill Goin
User avatar
HansBolter
Posts: 7457
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: United States

RE: Why dosnt the game have cut scenes and propaganda movies to add content or flavor?

Post by HansBolter »

If Tracker actually worked to track my game across multiple saved game slots I would use it.

I don't save over and over again in the same slot, which is what Tracker needs to be able to track.

I save in consecutive slots until I have filled them all and then start overwriting saves from the beginning.

Tracker is helpless.
Hans

User avatar
Justus2
Posts: 805
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:56 pm

RE: Why dosnt the game have cut scenes and propaganda movies to add content or flavor?

Post by Justus2 »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

If Tracker actually worked to track my game across multiple saved game slots I would use it.

I don't save over and over again in the same slot, which is what Tracker needs to be able to track.

I save in consecutive slots until I have filled them all and then start overwriting saves from the beginning.

Tracker is helpless.

Actually, it is easy to use Tracker with multiple save slots, I do it all the time, it just takes an extra step. I use slot 005 for my 'real' turn, that I send to and receive from my opponent. But at the beginning of each turn, after running the combat replay, I save in a slot for that day (ie DEC 8 goes in slot 008, DEC 9 goes in slot 009). When you load Tracker, it looks in its own directory for the initial save, but then there is an option at the top menu for 'Multi-Turn Load'. You point that (thru window interface) to your save folder, select show all saves, and you can click which saves to load (in order). Even though it's called multi-turn load, you can load each day individually, or you can load a set of them. When I travel, I may have 5 turns on my laptop, when I get back home I copy them to my desktop (where I have Tracker) and load all five. Be careful, as you may have multiple saves for the same date (the 001 and 005 saves for PBEM games, or if you did a temp save in the middle of giving orders), but you can deselect those.

I have kept a Tracker DB for several months of consecutive turns this way. I have read that at some point, the DB will get to large, so you may have to create a new DB every few months. As for the savegames, every so often I clear the folder by renaming the saves with the actual 4-digit date (wpae1207, wpae1208, etc) and putting them in another folder, Tracker can still load those as well although the game won't recognize the save name unless you rename it back to a usable savegame slot.
Just when I get the hang of a game, I buy two more... :)
User avatar
witpqs
Posts: 26376
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Argleton

RE: Why dosnt the game have cut scenes and propaganda movies to add content or flavor?

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

If Tracker actually worked to track my game across multiple saved game slots I would use it.

I don't save over and over again in the same slot, which is what Tracker needs to be able to track.

I save in consecutive slots until I have filled them all and then start overwriting saves from the beginning.

Tracker is helpless.
I save to the same slot every time. Also, I copy the saves into sub-folders and add the date to the name. Every few turns I delete the older ones. I only keep at most a few, but obviously that way you can save as many as you have disk space for (even more than the number of slots if you wish).

Here is a pic showing my save folder. When I receive an email with turn and replay (I'm Allies in this game), I save them (slots 015 and 001), plus I save (or copy) them into the "Turns Combat #1" and "Turns Received #1" folders, then edit the names to add the game date.

Right before I end the turn I save to slot 010. I end the turn into slot 015. I exit the game, then copy 010 to "Turns Saved #1" and edit the name to add the game date; copy 015 to "Turns Sent #1" and edit the name to add the game date.

This way I can use Tracker and keep multiple saves, look at the save for planning purposes after the turn is away, look back to help diagnose bugs, etc.

Image
Attachments
folders.jpg
folders.jpg (118.71 KiB) Viewed 403 times
User avatar
Lokasenna
Posts: 9304
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:57 am
Location: Iowan in MD/DC

RE: Why dosnt the game have cut scenes and propaganda movies to add content or flavor?

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Justus2

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

If Tracker actually worked to track my game across multiple saved game slots I would use it.

I don't save over and over again in the same slot, which is what Tracker needs to be able to track.

I save in consecutive slots until I have filled them all and then start overwriting saves from the beginning.

Tracker is helpless.

Actually, it is easy to use Tracker with multiple save slots, I do it all the time, it just takes an extra step. I use slot 005 for my 'real' turn, that I send to and receive from my opponent. But at the beginning of each turn, after running the combat replay, I save in a slot for that day (ie DEC 8 goes in slot 008, DEC 9 goes in slot 009). When you load Tracker, it looks in its own directory for the initial save, but then there is an option at the top menu for 'Multi-Turn Load'. You point that (thru window interface) to your save folder, select show all saves, and you can click which saves to load (in order). Even though it's called multi-turn load, you can load each day individually, or you can load a set of them. When I travel, I may have 5 turns on my laptop, when I get back home I copy them to my desktop (where I have Tracker) and load all five. Be careful, as you may have multiple saves for the same date (the 001 and 005 saves for PBEM games, or if you did a temp save in the middle of giving orders), but you can deselect those.

I have kept a Tracker DB for several months of consecutive turns this way. I have read that at some point, the DB will get to large, so you may have to create a new DB every few months. As for the savegames, every so often I clear the folder by renaming the saves with the actual 4-digit date (wpae1207, wpae1208, etc) and putting them in another folder, Tracker can still load those as well although the game won't recognize the save name unless you rename it back to a usable savegame slot.

Yep, this will work.
GetAssista
Posts: 2836
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:13 am

RE: Why dosnt the game have cut scenes and propaganda movies to add content or flavor?

Post by GetAssista »

ORIGINAL: Justus2
ORIGINAL: HansBolter
I save in consecutive slots until I have filled them all and then start overwriting saves from the beginning.
Tracker is helpless.
Actually, it is easy to use Tracker with multiple save slots, I do it all the time, it just takes an extra step.
If a single game is run, you can just tune Tracker to SaveFile=[wpae000.pws]. It's the autosave that the game does after the turn resolution is completed, so your manual saves habits won't matter
User avatar
Lokasenna
Posts: 9304
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:57 am
Location: Iowan in MD/DC

RE: Why dosnt the game have cut scenes and propaganda movies to add content or flavor?

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: GetAssista
ORIGINAL: Justus2
ORIGINAL: HansBolter
I save in consecutive slots until I have filled them all and then start overwriting saves from the beginning.
Tracker is helpless.
Actually, it is easy to use Tracker with multiple save slots, I do it all the time, it just takes an extra step.
If a single game is run, you can just tune Tracker to SaveFile=[wpae000.pws]. It's the autosave that the game does after the turn resolution is completed, so your manual saves habits won't matter

This file only exists for games against the AI, to my knowledge.
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: Why dosnt the game have cut scenes and propaganda movies to add content or flavor?

Post by Chickenboy »

Every turn of my PBEM game comes with cut scenes (the replay) and propaganda. My opponent's email provides the propaganda, wherein he identifies my units, identifies one of his weapon systems and informs me what he will do with the latter to the former. Usually it involves extraordinary violence. Often a derivative descriptor of my origin, questionable genetic heritage or stereotypical phenotypical features or caricature is included for additional flair.

I, of course, never do this.

So, get a PBEM going. You'll have all the propaganda you need. [:)]

Image
Numdydar
Posts: 3283
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:56 pm

RE: Why dosnt the game have cut scenes and propaganda movies to add content or flavor?

Post by Numdydar »

Geez. And here all I do is just send the file back with no text involved [&:]
Chris21wen
Posts: 7908
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Cottesmore, Rutland

RE: Why dosnt the game have cut scenes and propaganda movies to add content or flavor?

Post by Chris21wen »

Like music in games, I'd turn it off after the first time through.
Alpha77
Posts: 2196
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:38 am

RE: Why dosnt the game have cut scenes and propaganda movies to add content or flavor?

Post by Alpha77 »

ORIGINAL: Chris H

Like music in games, I'd turn it off after the first time through.

I put a blackmetal MP3 instead but found it totally distracts. So NO music at all for strategy for me :) For shooter games like Call Of Duty this is ok imho.

BTW: A hint for tracker, you can also simply copy over the save files you want to track in the tracker directory and let tracker load ém - guess you need to select the option "all .pws" iirc. I dont use tracker anymore not enough time [;)] I simply check the indus screen now to see if I get a red "x" somewhere and then see if I can remedy the situation. Tracker use is more efficient of course, but needs more time and care.
Post Reply

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”