So I've started making turn-based 2D games. Suggestions on a WW2 subject?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

User avatar
berto
Posts: 21461
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2002 1:15 am
Location: metro Chicago, Illinois, USA
Contact:

RE: So I've started making turn-based 2D games. Suggestions on a WW2 subject?

Post by berto »

ORIGINAL: Doggie3

One of the least covered campaigns from WW2 is the New Guinea campaign, Jan 42-Aug 45 in the South-West Pacific.
+1
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
User avatar
Grotius
Posts: 5842
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2002 5:34 pm
Location: The Imperial Palace.

RE: So I've started making turn-based 2D games. Suggestions on a WW2 subject?

Post by Grotius »

I've been working on a couple of tiny prototypes, and I'm thinking about some of the basic issues that wargame designers confront routinely. Can I ask you guys your preferences on a couple of them?

1. First, do you prefer I-Go-You-Go or WeGo? Examples of WeGo are "War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition", "Combat Mission," "Desert War," the AGEOD games. Examples of IGoUGo are most boardgames, and computer games like "Strategic Command World at War," MWIF (though it does have phases and interaction within turns), "Shadow Empire," "Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa," etc. (I realize that real-time and pausable-real-time are other options, but I'm not interested in making such a game. I enjoy some games like that quite a lot, but I'd rather design something turn-based.)

2. Second, the crucial question of hex orientation! Do you like your hexes pointy-side-up or flat-side-up? WIF and WITP/AE have pointy-side up; ASL and Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa and Strategic Command have flat side up.
Image
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
User avatar
RangerJoe
Posts: 19760
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:39 pm
Location: Who knows?

RE: So I've started making turn-based 2D games. Suggestions on a WW2 subject?

Post by RangerJoe »

The more strategic level of game, the WEGO seems to be better.

The more tactical, the IGYG might be better but the WEGO could have parameters to disregard orders if something happens like the unit gets fired upon or a target moves in range.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing! :o

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
:twisted: ; Julia Child


Image
User avatar
Grotius
Posts: 5842
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2002 5:34 pm
Location: The Imperial Palace.

RE: So I've started making turn-based 2D games. Suggestions on a WW2 subject?

Post by Grotius »

Thanks for your reply. I'm experimenting with WeGo. I've made IGoYouGo prototypes and games up to now, but WeGo can be more exciting and realistic.

It sounds like you favor flat-top hexes over pointy-top, then, and there's logic to your position. Pointy-top hexes create a straight line of horizontal hexes running east-west -- a horizontal hex grain, if you will. I've heard people argue that a straight line of hexes is easier to defend than a zig-zag line of hexes, so it's more appropriate for a WWI West-front game than a WWII game.
Image
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: So I've started making turn-based 2D games. Suggestions on a WW2 subject?

Post by warspite1 »

Hi Grotius - I've sent a PM as requested and it says it was delivered successfully so hopefully you have this [:)]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
Grotius
Posts: 5842
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2002 5:34 pm
Location: The Imperial Palace.

RE: So I've started making turn-based 2D games. Suggestions on a WW2 subject?

Post by Grotius »

Yep, PM received! I deleted some messages to free up space. Thanks for the help!
Image
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”